View Other Details
For archaeology-enthusiast travelers, the fascination of our tour will be rooted primarily in the almost mystical legacy left by the fabulous Aztec Empire and its influential Toltec and Olmec predecessors, vividly recorded in tales of the grandeur of Tenochtitlan, their island capital. The mighty Aztec culture and highly organized society remained dominant for 200 years – only to be brought to a sudden and violent end in the 16th century by the Spanish conquistadors. Traveling south, we also visit a panorama of provincial towns, each built upon regional cultural traditions with ancient pre-Aztec roots – none more impressive than the vast Zapotec site of Monte Alban.
- Trace the story of the ancient civilizations of the Aztec, Toltec, Olmec, Zapotec and Mixtec civilizations amid the wide horizons of middle Mexico.
- Stroll through legendary Teotihuacan – ‘birthplace of the gods’ – and explore the awesome Pyramids of the Sun and the Moon.
- Uncover the elaborately carved reliefs etched into the columns and frieze at El Tajín, among Mexico’s most important Classic-era sites.
- Enjoy a remarkable performance of the Danza de las Voladores de Papantla, a dizzying high-flying ritual dance.
- Journey through jungle-clad ruins and immerse yourself into the rich culture and heritage of Mesoamerican Mexico.