Nicaragua Sea Turtle Expedition with SEE Turtles

Nicaragua Sea Turtle Expedition with SEE Turtles

$100 Discount On All Trips

To celebrate our 10th Anniversary and raising $1 Million For Conservation and Communities, we are offering a $100 pp discount on all of our turtle conservation trips through March 20th!

Join us for a unique volunteer vacation to a remote corner of Nicaragua. Spend a week working to help the critically endangered hawksbill sea turtle while exploring a beautiful mangrove estuary. Padre Ramos Estuary, Nicaragua is one of only two major nesting areas for the critically endangered hawksbill sea turtle in the Eastern Pacific. On this trip, you will work hands on with local conservationists to study and protect hawksbills and explore a beautiful and quiet part of the country.

• Help study and protect nesting hawksbill sea turtles
  • Release hawksbill hatchlings (in season)
  • Study juvenile hawksbill turtles
  • Explore the Padre Ramos estuary and mangroves
  • Meet local residents working to protect sea turtles
Program Tags
Min Capacity
Max Capacity
Number of Days
Intensity Level
Includes: In-country transport, meals, lodging, activities, guides, and a donation to turtle conservation.

Excludes: Airfare to Nicaragua, Nicaragua tourism card ($10), personal items, and tips for the guides.

• Staff 10
  • Organization 9.8

Yay Sea Turtles!

This was such an amazing experience! I truly enjoyed every aspect of my trip. Yes, it was hot, but you're in Nicaragua - it's hot there! The staff was very friendly, the events were well organized and enjoyable. I experienced some difficulties with my travel with delayed flights, lost luggage, etc. Brad and the others were very supportive and made extra accommodations to ensure I was well taken care of. To witness the miracle of the females laying their eggs and the babies hatching was such a profound moment. I truly love that this organization partners with locals to help preserve, protect and ensure the survival of these magnificent creatures! I would absolutely go again!

If anything, maybe add a few extra fans for the sleeping areas. Perhaps if a nest hatches while volunteers are there, they could watch some of the process of the studies done on the hatchlings.

Hawksbills in the Mangroves

Nobody told the hawksbills that they don't nest in mangroves! Hawksbills are endangered so when people scoured the world for more populations, they were surprised to find this one nesting in an unexpected place. Thick mangrove forests stretch around Padre Ramos Estuary giving the turtles ample places to nest.

This trip was my second to volunteer with turtles. My first was with leatherbacks in Costa Rica. Most of the Costa Rica work was at night, wheras the hawksbills were seen at various times of day. The most fun was releasing hatchling turtles at night.

Also, the political and military problems one associates with Nicaragua were from decades ago. We travelled all over the north western corner of the country and met only friendly folks.
I recommend this trip.

Structure of dormitory upper level could be improved. It is hot there at night, but some minor modifications to the windows and doors, specifically leaving some open to encourage air flow and running the generator longer to use fans to cool down the place would have been useful.

Happy Me!

Must Do Travel Trip

This tour was very well organized, a great way to see Nicaragua and a great adventure. I made the trip in August of 2017 by myself but quickly made friends within the group of people also experiencing the tour. For me the number one highlight was being part of the turtle hatchlings release. It was an experience of a lifetime and one I want to do over and over again. There were many learning opportunities along with chances to give back provided within this tour. It was definitely a hands on trip with options included to meet individual needs. Don’t miss this opportunity to experience Padre Ramos and Hawksbill Sea Turtles.

Wonderful Conservation Volunteer Experience!

I found out about See Turtles in 2014 but was not able to schedule a trip until August 2017. I loved my time at Padre Ramos Estuary learning about the ecology and nesting behavior of the Hawksbill Sea Turtles and the wonderful work that local NGO's and the community are doing to save these beautiful animals. Every day we had the opportunity to do something interesting and worthwhile like patrolling beaches for nesting turtles, planting mangrove saplings, removing trash from nesting areas and meeting and working with local school kids. This was a once in a lifetime opportunity and I'm so grateful for the experience! Although volunteers work hard there is plenty of time to relax and the food was good. While I was there I met people from Australia, South Africa, Spain and France, all working to help conserve sea turtles. It was marvelous!

We had 12 people in our group but there were an additional 6-10 volunteers on any given day at the house so things got a little crowded on a few occasions!

I undertook this trip a few years ago and wow what a trip. It was one of the most beautiful untouched places I have ever been. Staying in a volunteer house with basic amenities meant we could get close to the sea turtles and see them in their natural habitat and help with the methods that were being deployed to monitoring them. The highlight of the trip was releasing several groups of hatchlings both in the day and by moonlight. I also met an incredible group of people who made this a fun and exciting trip. Many of whom I am still friends with several years later. Nicaragua is a special country with lovely people and the most beautiful landscapes. If you love nature and adventure then give this trip a go!!

It was hot and their was limited ability to keep cool so maybe another fan at night. But this is minor.

About SEE Turtles

SEE Turtles offers trips to participate in sea conservation projects in Latin America and the Caribbean. Projects are focused on protecting sea turtles and inspiring travelers to take an active role in the preservation of their natural habitat....