South Africa Adventure Bonus Week

This one-week program pairs perfectly with our South Africa Veterinary Service program. By adding this bonus week onto an existing program, students are given a fantastic opportunity to explore the southernmost coast of Africa. Each day is sure to be an adventure, with time spent enjoying Cape Town, tasting local cuisine, spotting native animals in their natural habitats, and adventuring outside the city. This one-week program is the perfect way to round out an already exciting program and go home with tons of new memories and stories to share!

• Get a special view of Cape Town during a sunset ride off the coast.
  • Immerse yourself in history with a visit to Robben Island, the prison where Nelson Mandela was once held.
  • Leave the ground behind on a cable car adventure to the top of Table Mountain.
  • Snap photos of gorgeous flowers and unique wildlife.
  • Hike in the serenity of Agulhas National Park.

• Staff 10
  • Organization 10
Morgan

Worth It!

The word that comes to mind when I think of the bonus week is WOW. There are so many aspects to the bonus week that I would not have been able to experience had it not been for loop. The in-country director we had was amazing (shout out Tasch), the group I was lucky enough to be with for the week could not have been better if I had chosen them myself, and the experiences I made during the week is something I still talk about and will for a long time. This was my first time out of the country and to have both my experience at FeraCare and Cape Town as my inaugural 'first out of country trip' I could not have been more lucky. Visiting Cape Town is its own adventure but doing it with the same group I was with for the two previous weeks made it very special. It is sort of difficult to put into words a 'review' for the bonus week, it is just something to which I have to say 'see for yourself'. And for that reason I encourage it so heavily. If your'e on the fence about deciding whether to take the week, this is your confirmation to do it if you have the means. If it weren't for the Gilman Scholarship the bonus week would not have been possible for me and I feel extremely grateful I had the opportunity and privilege to attend the bonus week. It seems difficult to grasp that a single week could be so fun, educational, life changing, exciting, etc. but it was and those types of experiences are rare (for me at least). Visiting South Africa sparked two things for me; my respect for the wildlife field and the need to travel, I hope it does the same for you.

What was your funniest moment?
The entire week was filled with laughs as our in-country director was hilarious, plus our group became pretty close pretty quick and we all got along pretty well and were able to laugh with each other about inconveniences, funny moments like the penguins at boulder beach acting silly, and many other small moments that made our week a wonderful experience.
Kelila

Experience of a Lifetime!!!

This is an incredible, unforgettable experience! There was 8 of us in my group, and all of us had done the two week program in South Africa right before.
We started off with a bus tour of Capetown which was a great way to see the beautiful city while learning about its intricate history. We traveled to the top of Table Mountain and got a gorgeous view of the beach and Capetown, and even saw dassies, also known as a rock hyrax. We visited and toured Robben Island and saw Nelson Mandela's cell, while learning the history of the island from a former prisoner. We ate at many themed restaurants, including my personal favourite, an Ethiopian restaurant called Addis in Cape. After visiting Table Mountain, we drove down to Boulders Beach and saw the adorable African Penguins after having lunch on the beach. We traveled down to Cape Agulhas, the southernmost tip of Africa, climbed to the top of the Cape Agulhas Lighthouse and stayed at Cape Agulhas National Park for one night. There, we visited the beaches and even saw a shipwreck. One of the most important parts of this trip was visiting and touring Langa, a black township in Capetown. It is a truly humbling experience, and very important to see that not everyone in Capetown is able to live in luxury homes and apartments overlooking the water.
My group also had the pleasure of attending a South Africa vs England rugby game. It was an super fun cultural experience! We painted our faces and got rugby shirts from the Springbok Experience Rugby Museum.
Overall this trip was amazing, and I would rate it 12 out of 10 if I could!