Thailand: Elephant Conservation Expedition with Discover Corps

Help care for elephants at an elephant village, living the life of a mahout and helping to protect Thailand’s vulnerable population of these magnificent creatures. Explore the ancient temples and buzzing markets of Chiang Mai, and the unspoiled beauty of the northern Thai countryside. In addition, savor Thai cuisine at food markets, and venture into the beautiful countryside of northern Thailand as you zip-line and raft through the jungles.

• Explore the rich culture of the northern Thai city of Chiang Mai
  • Meet the King's royal white elephants at the Lampang Government Elephant Conservation Center
  • Volunteer with rescued elephants at the Thai elephant village
  • Live the life of a mahout as you walk, bathe and feed the elephants
  • Visit rescued baby elephants at an elephant nursery

• Staff 10
  • Organization 10
Gretchen

Best Experience Ever!

After 300+ days on the road during an around-the-world trip with my 2 sons, we decided to end our journey with the Thai Elephant Conservation Expedition with Discover Corps. Having taken a DC trip before, we knew the quality would be good, the locations beautiful and the food amazing. We were not let down!

Everything was thought of, from the time we arrived. Our guides (Joon, Mai and Prae) even had extra bottled water for us so we wouldn't get dehydrated (since you sweat a LOT in Thailand). They also asked us every day if we needed anything. They were so nice and cared about giving us the best experience.

We visited the beautiful temples of Chiang Mai and the surrounding area, went to places not on the normal tourist track (Elephant Parade HQ, elephant hospital) and also got to see the efforts to help elephant conservation both in the public and private sector. Our day at the elephant nursery was hands down the best day of our around the world trip. We also enjoyed our time at the Thai Elephant home camp. Seeing these creatures every day in an up close and personal way was a memory I will never forget.

I also feel like we got to know real Thai people and we definitely learned a lot about the Thai way of life and the many small tribes of hill people in northern Thailand.

Not only did we get to see and interact with the elephants, but there were things for thrill-seekers on this trip as well! We rafted in the Mae Taeng River and did a 35 point zip-line/ropes course! These trips were outstanding for their natural beauty, care and safety of the passengers, and general helpfulness of the guides.

All in all it was an amazing experience and I feel like I have friends in Thailand. I hope they visit us someday in America so I can repay their kindness and show them our country.

There is nothing we could think of that could have improved this program, other than having our own pet elephant!

About Discover Corps

Discover Corps is a new way to travel. Our authentic, off the beaten track itineraries plug travelers into the daily lives of local people.

Our team of local Program Hosts gives you unparalleled access to the lives of people and the stories of...