Go Overseas Writer

Member for

7 years 2 months

Katie is a Bay Area native who studied public relations, journalism, and Spanish at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, CA. Follow Katie Boyer on Twitter, and Google+.

Travel Experience
15+ Countries
Twitter Personal Site
Katie

Amigos Worldwide offers a tailored and individual volunteer programme at Kira Farm Training Centre in Uganda.
A small but rapidly growing charity, Kira Farm offers vocational, spiritual and holistic training to young people whose lives have been affected by poverty, AIDs and conflict.
Staying at the guest lodge on Kira, you will participate in the day-to-day running of the farm, including planting and farming God's way; teaching vocational skills or health and hygiene; teaching discipleship and interacting with the students.
The programme is especially suited to those with a vocational or spiritual skill that they wish to share, but even if you are not religious, like myself, there is so much you can get out of the programme. As a journalist, I used my skills to create a video for the charity; interviewing the students and helping to promote the work of Amigos once I got back to the UK. The only thing Amigos ask is that you continue to support them when you return home.
You will get a chance to visit some of the student’s families and understand their backgrounds, as well as integrating into their daily life and working on a project which will help them to build a sustainable future and try to escape poverty.
This is not your typical ‘gap year’ project – if you want to make a real difference in an impoverished country, understand the people there, make some great friends in the staff and really gain an insight into development, then this is the perfect project for you. And being a non-profit venture, it’s also exceedingly good value for money.
I left this project understanding that making a difference is not about building a toilet block or handing out food, it is about teaching the next generation to help themselves out of poverty, and build a better future for themselves and their children.

Katie

My ProWorld trip to Peru was easily one of the greatest and most memorable times of my life.

Constructing cleaner burning stoves was one of the best, most memorable parts of the trip because we made a contribution to a community in need in a personal way.

Before becoming a volunteer abroad, I had never thought about the effects of indoor air pollution. Clean air and water are basic things we take for granted that everyone deserves access to.

Everyone should open their eyes with an experience volunteering abroad. ProWorld makes it easy to make a difference around the world. ProWorld Peru looks out not only for the volunteers but also the local community. I would recommend the program to everyone.