Go Overseas Writer

Member for

5 years 3 months

Bitten by the travel bug in 2009, Jennifer wants to continue traveling the world and hopes to become involved in international education. She spent a semester studying in Barcelona, Spain before backpacking throughout Europe. She maintains her own travel blog while also working with Students Gone Global, a new blogging community where student travelers can share their experiences. Find her on Google+.

Travel Experience
15+ Countries
Jennifer

I was excited about my time at Shiz but was sorely disappointed. From corrupt city officials and headmistresses, to being placed with a roommate I couldn't stand (nothing like unadulterated loathing to ruin the experience!), and dull academics - I would carefully consider before deciding to study here! The social scene was a blast, especially The Ozdust Ballroom and being close to the Emerald City, but it wasn't enough to make up for everything else.

No, I don't recommend
Jennifer

I'm so lucky to have been able to study in my dream location: Hogwarts! A lot of the castle had to be rebuilt but it's looking better than ever. People were friendly to exchange students and it was easy to make friends. There's still a strong rivalry between houses, but it's all in the name of fun - unless we're talking about Quidditch, of course (go Gryffindor!) ;) Don't be fooled by anyone who says studying abroad is easy - academics were quite the challenge here, especially my potions classes. I learned a lot of magic that could be useful in daily life -- too bad there's no magic allowed outside of school if you're underage.

Need more scholarships for buying school items - shopping in Diagon Alley is NOT cheap!
Jennifer

I went with the year-long program, and while academics were only okay, the extracurriculars and social scene were a lot of fun. There are a lot of sports to play and ways to get involved and meet people, which can be hard for an exchange student (stay away from those Pink Ladies). Rydell has a lot of school spirit, which was a nice change from my home school. The local ice cream parlor has pretty much the best milkshakes EVER, and if you don't have plans on a Friday night, head to the drive-in movie theater. If you're at Rydell in the spring, definitely do not miss the end-of-year graduation carnival which was the best event of the year.

Congratulations on making the decision to study abroad ! The time you spend living in another country and immersed in a different culture will be a rewarding, enriching, and eye-opening experience. Right now you may be feeling overwhelmed with all the decisions you’ll have to...
Before we dive in, you might be wondering: what exactly is a gap year? A gap year is a semester or year "off," traditionally described as a break from academics.
Studying abroad is a huge step in your academic career and also one of the biggest steps you can take outside of your comfort zone. For many students who go abroad, it is the first time they’ve been so far from home, away from their safety net of friends, family, and general...
If you’re reading this, there’s a good chance that you’re already thinking about studying abroad – congratulations! Making this decision is a huge step, and choosing to study abroad will undoubtedly be one of the most rewarding experiences of your academic career. The process may...

My Guides