Chase Chisholm

Go Overseas Writer

Chase is a life lover, world traveler, teacher, learner, and biker. His passion is capturing stories of people and the nuances of culture through various forms of media. He has traveled in Australia, Canada, the Caribbean, Europe, Mexico, Southeast Asia, and the United States. He also successfully served as a Peace Corps Volunteer for two years in Guyana, South America, worked as a Guest English Teacher in South Korea for two years, and most recently taught English for three years in Yangon, Myanmar. Follow Chase on his blog, portfolio, and on Google+.

Undergraduate University
Waldorf College
Website Facebook

My Reviews

Chase

A Life-Changing and Magical Experience!

My overall experience in Myanmar was enchanting. It was life changing and downright magical. The people, the food, the beer (Myanmar beer is the best), and the gorgeous historic places to visit—everything made a very profound impact on me.

I taught for a total of three years in Yangon (2013-2016). Two were through Greenheart Travel, and the last year I kind of did my own thing. The incredible transformation I witnessed while there was astounding. And just as the country changed rapidly during that time, I, too, grew both personally and professionally.

Myanmar people are extremely generous, welcoming, and hilarious. The amount of sarcasm and playfulness I experienced and/or observed from my Myanmar friends, neighbors, students and colleagues made me feel right at home.

I was placed at a college with over 200 students at the time. Students ranged in age from 16-22. I helped them prepare to take their IELTS exam—a requirement to study abroad in an English-speaking country. Although my placement differed a bit from the norm, I’d say I had a pretty normal teaching schedule compared to other teachers who go with Greenheart Travel as well.

I went to Myanmar as a Greenheart Travel Teach Abroad Correspondent, which meant I got to share my experience through monthly videos and blog posts for Greenheart Travel since the program was new when I arrived.

Going through Greenheart Travel was such a breeze! Sara Thacker, the program manager for the opportunity in Myanmar, efficiently and easily got me there, checked in on me throughout the time I was there, and continued corresponding with me even after I had ventured off on my own.

Jill Robinson, Greenheart Travel’s marketing director, was so fun to work with while I submitted photos, videos, and blog posts as part of the correspondent program. We got to know each other on a personal level, and she often reached out to me when my content would document particular hardships I was facing at the time.

I always say an experience is what you make of it. Myanmar definitely isn’t the easiest place I’ve lived abroad. Yangon is extremely hot (there are areas of Myanmar that are quite pleasant, though). The power goes out often (at least there is electricity). Resources at schools tend to be a bit limited, but you can find almost everything you’ll need in stores around Yangon. I took a cold shower or bucket bath the entire time I lived there. But, all of these things enhanced my adventure. I wouldn’t trade any of it for anything different.

My biggest challenge was my personal finances. I didn’t have enough money saved up, and had a very hard time sending part of my salary home the first year (this has likely become much easier by now), so I got behind on paying off some bills. My recommendation would be to have a cushion of savings before you go, just in case!

As opportunities to teach English increase in Myanmar, I’d definitely say NOW is when you should experience this unique culture—it’s such an exciting time in its history! So many new shops, businesses, restaurants and bars are popping up all over Yangon. And most of what you’ll read online about Myanmar is already outdated. It’s nearly impossible to keep up with how fast the country is advancing! Go find out for yourself!

My experience with Greenheart Travel and in Myanmar couldn't have been better. The only improvement I'd recommend is already in the works—more options to teach English outside of Yangon! Yangon is a fantastic city to be placed in as an English teacher, but there's so much more to the country than this bustling, former capital. I'd love to go back when more placements are available to teach in smaller, rural areas!
Chase

Can't Imagine Applying to Teach in Korea Without Greenheart Travel's Help!

Chances are if you're interested in applying to teach English in South Korea through the English Program in Korea (EPIK), you already know how extensive and daunting the application process is. Looking back on my experience, I can't imagine applying without Greenheart Travel's help!

I learned about Greenheart Travel about six year ago. When I first reached out about applying to teach in Korea, I had already missed the deadline. So, I waited a few months before attempting to apply again. I was so impressed that Greenheart Travel staff remembered my initial correspondence! From that point on, Greenheart Travel staff members were always so attentive and personable, all the while professional and efficient.

Greenheart Travel helped me successfully complete and submit all of the necessary documents needed on time in order to be offered a English teaching position in South Korea. I ended up staying in Korea for two years and absolutely LOVED my life there. And even after I had arrived in country, staff members from Greenheart Travel continually checked in on me, as well as encouraged the work I was doing!

In my opinion there are no improvements necessary in regards to services provided by Greenheart Travel. Greenheart Travel has found a way to make a hefty and lengthy application process much less stressful and actually somewhat fun!

I Heart Greenheart Travel

I'm not actually teaching English in Thailand at the moment, but I am teaching English in Yangon, Myanmar, through Greenheart Travel and XploreAsia. However, I did go through a week-long orientation in Thailand before arriving in Myanmar. It was so fun and beneficial.

I'd highly recommend both programs, although I'm biased about Myanmar. It's an incredible country with so many possibilities! I have many friends who have, or are currently teaching English in Thailand through Greenheart. They've had very good things to say about the experience.

I've also taught in South Korea through Greenheart Travel and EPIK. Greenheart provides so much support throughout the application and job placement process. I felt very prepared and encouraged to teach thanks to Greenheart. And Greenheart continues to be a positive source of support as I teach in Yangon. Staff members genuinely care about how I'm doing, and periodically check in to make sure all is well.

I really appreciate the life-changing opportunities I've had through Greenheart Travel! You will, too.

The one thing everyone has to remember is when you live in another country, the key to success is community integration. In addition, no one will have the same experience. Make your own experience the best it can be. Don't compare.