Anna Morris

Go Overseas Account Manager

Anna has California roots but grew up in the Midwest. When not at her desk, you'll find Anna on a weekend road trip or eating where Yelp tells her to. Anna lived and studied in a castle in England, completed a maymester in South Africa, and worked at St. Cloud State University.

Undergraduate University
Saint Cloud State University
Facebook
Anna

Before I graduated, I wanted to squeeze in one more study abroad opportunity (albeit short term!). I signed up for a upper-level ethnic studies course which included an (optional) trip to South Africa to experience what we were learning about in the classroom in real life. The ethnic studies course was taught by an excellent SCSU faculty member who had personal insight into the political dynamics, struggles and progress in South Africa.

To prepare for the trip, we did a series of essays, required readings and lectures. Notably, we were assigned to complete Nelson Mandela's autobiography, "A Long Walk to Freedom". This was a perfect read to prepare us to experience historical sites including: Robben Island, Soweto, the Voting Line sculpture and more.

We started in Johannesburg and flew to Port Elizabeth where we spent the bulk of our visit. From there, we wrapped up in Cape Town. This trip was a lovely mix of fun, learning, structured and free time. I learned a lot about South African culture, was able to experience it a bit first hand and earned university credit necessary for my undergrad degrees -- a perfect combination!

One of my favorite days on the trip was one where we had a panel discussion / open forum with the student government undergrads at NMMU (Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University). It was a unique experience to be able to converse with them about their experiences growing up in South Africa and their perspective on the Rainbow nation.

Overall, I highly recommend this program to St. Cloud State University and non-SCSU students alike!

This program ran very smoothly. We packed a lot in and learned / experienced a lot of unique things in South Africa. I wish we had more time to spend with the South African students in Port Elizabeth as I took so much away from the great discussions we had with them. I really appreciated their perspectives.
Anna

The program that St. Cloud State University runs is unlike any other experience on the market. As students, we lived and studied in the Alnwick Castle in Northumberland, England. SCSU is the only university with a lease agreement with the Duke & Duchess of Northumberland (the Percy family) so it's truly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity! Every semester (Fall, Spring, Summer) two different SCSU faculty travel with the group to teach major-specific courses. In addition, there are two British faculty that teach cultural courses. I completed 12 credits during the summer session. 6 credits counted towards my major(s) requirements and the remaining 6 credits applied towards my Generals.

Aside from the academic benefits, there are also endless immersion opportunities. Because we are the only exchange students in the fairly small town, we were able to get to know the locals quite well! Alnwick is an extremely welcoming city and as long as you and your fellow students are respectful, there will be no issues. It's a place where you feel like home after just a couple of weeks. There are plenty of places to eat, shop and experience the nightlife scene.

I volunteered at the local radio station as I was a Broadcast Journalism major. Gaining on-air experience abroad was a huge value-add to my resume. I produced a show along with two other guys on my program. We had a blast playing our favorite music, talking about our daily experiences, responding to listeners and operating the equipment. Our 4-hour once a week block quickly became a highlight of my summer.

Day to day, we had class all day Monday - Thursday with breaks to work on homework and group projects. Every Friday there was a field trip led by one of our British faculty. We had our weekends free to travel -- and there was a week-long holiday break in the middle of the term, too. I made it to Paris, Dublin, Amsterdam, London and other cities all over England during our free time. Newcastle is about a 30 minute bus ride away so there's easy access to a metropolitan area.

This program is open to non-SCSU students so I'd highly recommend checking it out! Oh, I forgot to mention that this castle is affectionately known as Hogwarts as Harry's first broom ride was filmed in the outer Bailey. Who else can say that they ACTUALLY lived inside Hogwarts?! The Chamber of Secrets has yet to be found...

Honestly, this program has been running for 30+ years. It runs like clockwork.

My Interviews