Become a volunteer now and have the great opportunity to volunteer, rehabilitate and rescue Native Australian Wildlife at Steve Irwin’s Australia Zoo! This is the largest and busiest wildlife rehabilitation facility of its kind in the world and part of Irwin’s legacy!
You will join the team of dedicated wildlife professionals to provide ‘first-class care for sick, injured and orphaned animals’ that come into the facility every week. You’ll work alongside experienced animal keepers as you assist them with the husbandry and care of these animals, including Koalas - there may also be some guest related activities.
- Volunteer at Steve Irwin’s Australia Zoo’s Wildlife Hospital! The largest and busiest purpose-built facility of its kind in the world and part of Steve Irwin’s legacy!!
- Share your love and passion for wildlife by helping the dedicated team who care for Australian native wildlife
- Great opportunity to explore the Sunshine Coast of Australia on your days off, as well as the world famous Australia Zoo, where there are many opportunities for up close native wildlife experiences.
What to Expect
As a volunteer, you will be required to assist the Wildlife Hospital team and other volunteers at the project with various duties. Please note that there will be little to no contact with the animals. See below for some of the most commonly required volunteer tasks during the first two weeks of the volunteer placement
* Preparing Koala paste feeds
* Preparing equipment for enclosure cleans
* Removing old Koala leaf out of enclosures (Leaf = Eucalyptus leaves - koala food)
* Observing Koala's behaviour during cleaning processes (if any unusual or irregular behaviours demonstrated, advise animal keeper so they can investigate/assess further). The ability to provide detailed
observations is important in volunteers, as the volunteers spend a lot
of time in the vicinity of the animals in care and may be likely to
notice things which may need to be reported.
* Cleaning Koala enclosures (complete cleans, wet cleans, dry cleans...)
* Assist with the leaf out procedure (Replacing old leaf with fresh leaf every day)
* Counting Koalas in our plantation - Open area of native eucalyptus trees where koalas are settled before being released back into the wild.
Once you have completed your first two weeks at the project, you may also get the opportunity to participate in the duties listed below.
* Assist with Koala Paste Feeds
* Assist the Bird and Reptile nurse with cleaning enclosures
* Assisting the ICU nurse with cleaning enclosures
* Assisting nurse with preparing feeds for turtles, reptiles and birds
* Depending on operational considerations volunteers may have the opportunity to watch/observe the vets and nurses in treatment room on some afternoons. This should not be considered a guaranteed or regular activity.
* Assist with the tidy/clean of the treatment and triage areas
* ICU koalas require some sun time each day - volunteers may have the
opportunity to sit with them for that time (Occasionally reptiles and
birds) - observation task
* Collect flowers and browse and assist in creating bird enrichment
* Cut and prepare possum browse
Housing & Meals
Meals included (breakfast and dinner). At times, you will need to
prepare your own meals.
Volunteers live in a private room at a local homestay. Access to Wifi
and laundry facilities are available. You will also be transferred to
and from the project from your homestay to attend your shifts.
Being a volunteer at the Australia Zoo is truly a rewarding experience for each volunteer and the impact you leave will be a big one. Although you might have a minimal to no contact with animals at this project, you will be rewarded with the satisfaction of knowing that these animals will have the greatest opportunity to be released back into their natural habitat. The help you will provide the animal keepers with be greatly appreciated.
The Sunshine coast is know for it laidback lifestyle and untouched beaches. This area is great to take a holiday from nearby Brisbane and step back from the hustle and bustle of daily city life.