Amigos de las Americas - Discover AMIGOS: Costa Rica

Get a taste of Costa Rica and AMIGOS with this amazing opportunity to take your first dive into Latin America. This project has the key components of a core AMIGOS program, such as volunteering, training, excursions, reflections, and workshops, but is guided by AMIGOS staff. Every day is an authentic, engaging adventure with hands-on project development, educational talks, fun and games with children, reflection sessions, and exploration of nature.

• Be embraced by your host family
  • Travel around Costa Rica with your group
  • Volunteer with animals at a local organization
  • Practice speaking Spanish
  • Work with local kids

New virtual gap year program

AMIGOS & Tufts University just launched a new virtual gap year experience for fall 2020: the Civic Action Gap Semester! Explore social change across the Americas, make an impact through a civic volunteership, engage with your community, and earn college credit.

Jasper

Amigos trip

My trip to Costa Rica for Amigos was a very interesting and unique experience. During he trip I met a lot of cool people and saw and experienced things that I wouldn't be able to experience in San Francisco. I think that people who are planning on going on doing Amigos should know that there are challenges but there are also lots of great moments that happen during the trips. I recommend it for a way to see something new and to push yourself. A big thumbs up and I wish I could go back and see my host family again.

If I were to improve the trip I'd have there be more instructions on how to put up your mosquito net.
Sophia

Discover Amigos - Costa Rica

Beat trip ever. I made new friends, experiencing culture, and grew my Spanish. I now have more friends across the US. I talk to my friends often, and I can’t wait to see them again. I worked with community members to grow my Spanish, develop a mural, and I got out of my comfort zone. I wasn’t used to being away from home for an extended period of time, but it felt so great to be so independent. I also got to know my host mom really well. We talked a lot and she became family to me. I can’t wait to go back. I would recommend this trip to anyone willing to take a chance and go on a life changing adventure!

Less lessons about the program goals. There was an excess amount of briefing. I feel like less lessons about the meaning and importance of Amigos would cause the participants to hold on to more key facts.