Outward Bound Costa Rica: Girl Scout Destinations in Costa Rica & Panama

Hiking
Star Fruit
Star Fruit
Service Challenge

Experience an unforgettable adventure with fellow Girl Scouts from across the United States! Our four GSUSA Destinations courses in Costa Rica and Panama will give you an opportunity to visit remote rainforest villages with family homestays, serve local indigenous communities, scuba dive among the colorful coral reefs of the Caribbean Ocean, protect the region’s fragile ecosystem, catch waves on famous warm water breaks and offers many other adventure opportunities with each course. Immerse yourself in a new language and culture while discovering your inner strengths and leadership skills. Create life-long friendships along the way.

Our GSUSA Destinations courses are open to current members of Girl Scouts of the USA. Girl Scouts must apply to participate through the GSUSA Destinations program and be between 13-18 years old at the time of course.

• Community Service
  • Sea Turtle Conservation
  • Hiking & Backpacking
  • Surfing
  • Scuba Diving

Enroll in a Spring Gap Year & Semester course by Nov 15th to receive a $500 Early Bird discount!

Zoey

Service Challenge

Even though we had to change the itinerary because of strikes, my instructors made the most of it. They made bad situations into a great time. For example, we still were able to do everything we were meant to do, like helping sea turtles and painting the classroom in Talamonca and more that no other group has experienced, like feeding baby sheep and holding them. My group was the first group to be able to do some extra tourism, and it was so cool. Plus, the incidents and tourism activities helped create a stronger bond with all of the girls and boys. I will forever be grateful for my experience at OBCR and for my instructors, and course mates. The bonds I have created with them will last forever, and I will stay connected with them for the rest of my life.

What was your funniest moment?
When my guy instructor screamed like a teenage girl when there was a big bug in our room in Talamonca.
Haylee

FREAKING AMAZING

I went to the Costa Rica Outward Bound. I absolutely loved everything about this trip, the girls, the staff, and the sights. I learned about the culture and the people and of course some Spanish. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity and i’m glad I took it. If I didn’t I wouldn’t have gotten so much out of it. It has changed me in so many ways, I took more risks than i’m used to, I didn’t think so small of those living in another country. Being there taught me to “live in the moment” rather than worrying about what is to come. The girls I was with I truly bonded with them, they taught me to be myself and love who I am. The staff are amazing as well, caring, funny, and teach us about everything around us. I enjoyed every bit of it, from the sunburns to the zip lining. Every little thing was enjoyable.

Mary

Unforgettable

Cacique [kəˈsēk]: a native chief or local political boss.
I will never forget waking up that morning in a sweat, knowing everyone was going to depend on me. The day my outlook on life changed forever. The day I was cacique.
There were fifteen roles for each of the fifteen girls on the trip to Latin America with me, varying from a cleaner to cacique. Cacique was the job every girl dreaded. Each of the fifteen girls had to be on task and punctual at all times, and if they were not, cacique was to blame. Cacique made the decisions for the whole group, and by the end of day, was the one girl everyone was sick and tired of.
I used to think of myself as the opposite of a leader. I believed I had good ideas, but I always kept them to myself to avoid any external conflict or confrontation. Being cacique for a day forced me to step out of my shell and make decisions for not only myself, but for girls that I cared for like family.
Although I had dreaded being cacique for days, once I asserted myself, my confidence grew. I voiced my once silent opinions and genuinely made a difference in the efficiency of our group. I realized that being a leader is not about silencing others, but rather representing them and being a role model for peers.

A bigger van for the thirteen girls on the long drive from Costa Rica to Panama.
Katie

Scuba Sea Turtle Adventure

I really loved this trip and it challenged me a lot. It helped me realize that I have a strong passion for the environment. I loved all of the other girls and my instructors as well. We all had a lot in common and almost always got along well. We did many interesting things like zip lining, SCUBA diving, cave tours, and more but I never felt rushed. The trip was focused on living in the moment and creating memories. My favorite part of the trip was releasing sea turtle hatchlings at San San Pond Sak. Turtles have been my favorite animals almost all of my life and releasing hatchlings has been a life goal of mine since elementary school. Scuba Sea Turtle Adventure and Outward Bound provided me with and opportunity to achieve some of my life goals.

The packing list could be adjusted. Some items we were asked to bring weren't needed. There were also items that would've been useful that we weren't asked to bring. Feedback from girls on the course could possibly be used.
Anna

Sea Turtle and Scuba Adventure

A life changing two week. I was able to learn that I could do anything. I was able to help an endangered species, learn new skills, and create amazing friendships and connections. I miss Costa Rica and Outward Bound so much because everyone was so friendly and kind. If you are thinking about participating in an Outward Bound course, all I can say is that biggest adventure of your life is soon upon you.

Samantha

My Amazing Outward Bound Costa Rica Experience

My experience with Outward Bound Costa Rica was nothing short of life changing. I cannot express in words how strongly I encourage that every Girl Scout should apply for this amazing program. It will allow you to dive into a new and exciting culture, head first. Every minute was a new and exhilarating adventure, filled with fun and important life lessons. This course provided me with opportunities that I could receive no where else.

Some of the amazing opportunities I was presented with were releasing baby sea turtles into the ocean, doing a homestay in a small indigenous community in Costa Rica, visiting schools and conversing with local students, learning how to make traditional Costa Rican food, and he beautify a community soccer field.

The amazing staff at Outward Bound Costa Rica was so caring towards each and every one of us. After spending merely two weeks with twelve other girls and my instructors, we became a family. The friendships that I made on this trip are ones that are unbreakable. The experiences are ones that I will carry with me for the rest of my life, and I am so thankful to have partook in such an amazing program.

About Outward Bound Costa Rica

BE. OUT. THERE. Outward Bound Costa Rica inspires a lifetime of leadership, growth, and a commitment to serve through adventure-based learning. Since 1992, we have honed our approach to experiential education, utilizing Costa Rica and Panama’s...