Join us in paradise for a “life changing experience.” Help us preserve and protect the vibrant coral reefs that will be your office and playground during your time here
Coral reefs represent the most biologically diverse ecosystem on our planet but they are under threat. Blue Planet 2 and other recent documentaries have brought to light the ongoing plight of coral reefs.
Caribbean Reef Buddy programs offer a unique opportunity to join our team of biologists and dive professionals where you will combine internationally recognized diving qualifications with specialist classes and training in coral reef conservation. We recognize that a healthy coral reef ecosystem plays a vital role in sustaining the livelihoods of the local population, and we want you take part in our efforts to work to preserve and protect the biodiversity and ecological wealth of the island!
Seeing is believing, so Join us on Carriacou, a hidden gem in the Caribbean for a truly unforgettable adventure.
- Dive courses - Open Water to Divemaster (depending on length of stay)
- Classes and training in coral reef conservation protocols from qualified marine biologists for hands on field research experience
- Swim with Hawksbill and Green Turtles in the stunning Tobago Cays Marine Park - setting of 'The Pirates of the Caribbean' film
- 'Castaway' remote island trips and island barbecue
- Hotel accommodation including breakfast and evening meals
What to Expect
We welcome volunteers to join our team for 2, 4, and 8 week programs - the longer you stay the more you can do!
No diving experience is required, our programs are designed to take you through entry level and advanced diving courses in conjunction with classes and training in our ongoing coral reef conservation projects. For those volunteers who are already qualified divers, we offer the opportunity to dive and explore the beautiful reefs that surround the island, before joining your fellow volunteers for more advanced classes and training.
Resident dive professionals and marine biologists will provide specialized training for you to develop the skills required to participate in our conservation activities. You will learn about reef ecology, and contribute to our conservation work in the Marine Protected Area. The longer you join the program for, the more opportunities you will have to progress your diving, gain qualifications, participate in data collection dives, and explore Carriacou with us!
By joining Caribbean Reef Buddy you can choose to undertake the following:
- PADI dive courses from Open Water qualification through to Divemaster (dependent on length of stay).
- Advanced diving techniques including navigation and buoyancy control.
- Specialty training in digital underwater photography.
- Specialty courses in Coral Watch and Fish Identification.
- Specialty training in Lionfish containment, including hunting, analysis and data collection.
- Internationally recognized reef survey protocols, fish, substrate and coral survey techniques, including Reef Check (4 and 8 week programs only).
- Coral nursery specialty training, populate coral tables, monitor and clean fragments and out planting (seasonally dependent, 4 and 8 week programs only).
- Classes, training and support from resident marine biologists.
- Day trip to snorkel with Green and Hawksbill turtles in the Tobago Cays Marine Park, the setting of the Pirates of the Caribbean films (4 and 8 week programs only).
- Snorkel trips to the beautiful Sandy Island and White island.
- Hike through the Nature Reserve to the summit of High North.
- Training and PADI courses available for experienced divers and those new to diving.
All diving equipment, course materials and research/project equipment is provided by us.
Housing & Meals
You will be based in a quaint family-run hotel, just 2 minutes walk from the dive centre. Mishka, the owner / manager is a true Caribbean gem, her and her partner Tim, will be on hand to ensure your stay is as relaxed and comfortable as possible. Just a short hop over the road from the hotel and you will find yourself on the beautiful island beaches where you are able to relax, chill and soak up the unique island atmosphere.
You will be provided with breakfast every morning, usually comprising of cereals, toast, eggs, bacon, fresh juices, tea and coffee. When you return from your diving activities you can expect delicious dishes such as home-made lasagne, burgers and traditional meals from the West Indies - such as the famous rotis and Oil Downs! For those volunteers with special dietary requirements, please ensure you include this as part of your application.