Join us in paradise for a “life changing experience.” Help us preserve and protect the vibrant coral reefs that will be your office and playground during your volunteer experience.
Caribbean Reef Buddy programs combine internationally recognized diving qualifications with specialist training in our ongoing marine conservation projects. Our focus is to preserve and protect the beautiful coral reefs surrounding the island. Throughout our work we aim to encourage environmental awareness and individual development.
Our team of biologists and dive professionals is on hand to teach you how to dive and provide marine conservation training. We recognize that a healthy marine ecosystem plays an important role in sustaining the livelihoods of the local population, and we want you take part in our efforts to protect the biodiversity and ecological wealth of the island!
We are proud that people who come to work with us leave as friends!
- Dive courses offered - Open Water to Divemaster
- Learn marine conservation protocols from qualified biologists and dive professionals
- Swim with Hawksbill and Green Turtles in the stunning Tobago Cays Marine Park
- 'Castaway' remote island trips and island barbecue
- Hands on field research experience
What to Expect
Our team of biologists and dive professionals is on hand to teach you how to dive and provide marine conservation training. We recognize that a healthy marine ecosystem plays an important role in sustaining the livelihoods of the local population, and we want you take part in our efforts
to protect the biodiversity and ecological wealth of the island! We are proud that people who come to work with us leave as friends!
We welcome volunteers to join our conservation team for 2, 4, and 8 week programs - the longer you stay the more you can do!
Our conservation work requires all volunteers to be certified divers (minimum PADI Advanced Open Water or equivalent). If you are not a diver, you can complete the required certifications with our experienced dive instructors.
Resident dive professionals and marine biologists will provide specialized training for you to develop the skills required to participate in our conservation activities. You will learn about reef ecology, and contribute to our conservation work in the Marine Protected Area. The longer you join the program for, the more opportunities you will have to progress your diving, gain qualifications, participate in data collection dives, and explore Carriacou with us!
By joining Caribbean Reef Buddy you can choose to undertake the following:
- PADI dive courses available from Open Water qualification through to Divemaster.
- Advanced diving techniques including navigation and buoyancy control.
- Specialty training in digital underwater photography.
- Specialty courses in Coral Watch and Fish Identification.
- Specialty training in Lionfish containment, including hunting, analysis and data collection.
- Internationally recognized reef survey protocols, fish, substrate and coral survey techniques, including Reef Check (4 and 8 week programs only).
- Lectures, classes and support from our resident biologists.
- Training in equipment maintenance.
- Day trip to snorkel with Green and Hawksbill turtles in the Tobago Cays Marine Park, the setting of the Pirates of the Caribbean films (4 and 8 week programs only).
- Snorkel trips to the beautiful Sandy Island and White island.
- Hike through the Nature Reserve to the summit of High North.
- Training and PADI courses available for experienced divers and those new to diving.
All diving equipment, course materials and research/project equipment is provided by us.
Please take a look at the price breakdown in our photo gallery for more information on what is included, and how to build a program to suit your interests!
Housing & Meals
You will be based in a quaint family-run hotel, just 2 minutes walk from the dive centre. Mishka, the owner / manager is a true Caribbean gem, her and her partner Tim, will be on hand to ensure your stay is as relaxed and comfortable as possible. Just a short hop over the road from the hotel and you will find yourself on the beautiful island beaches where you are able to relax, chill and soak up the unique island atmosphere.
You will be provided with breakfast every morning, usually comprising of cereals, toast, eggs, bacon, fresh juices, tea and coffee. When you return from your diving activities you can expect delicious dishes such as home-made lasagne, burgers and traditional meals from the West Indies - such as the famous rotis and Oil Downs! For those volunteers with special dietary requirements, please ensure you include this as part of your application.