Street Children Volunteering Program in India

Age
17 - 100 years
1 traveler is looking at this program

About This Program

Make a difference by volunteering in shelter homes in Delhi, India. The main task of the volunteers would be to love the kids as their own and provide them with the care that they deserve.

Participants will have a particular schedule to follow as per program requirements, but they’ll be free to improvise. Being a volunteer, your main task would be to make them feel safe and secured. You can take informal classes and teach the kids how to draw or paint.

You can also organize some fun games that would be engaging and also help them learn new things. On other occasions, you can just sit and talk with them, know about how their lives have been, share your own stories with them and help them dream.

• A volunteering journey will endow you with experiences that you'll cherish for a lifetime.
  • You'll get the opportunity to spread love among the kids and help them learn new things.
  • Meet different kinds of people from all across the world, who have all gathered together to make a difference.
  • Visit the Qutub Minar, Red Fort, Jama Masjid and the streets of Old Delhi, Lotus Temple, India Gate which are some of the popular UNESCO World Heritage Sites as well.
  • Your noble act might as well inspire others to step ahead and volunteer for the street children in India.
What's Included
SIM cards
Travel Insurance
Visa
Wifi

Volunteering India, in association with local shelter homes, has been successful in providing education to more than 250 kids in New Delhi. Volunteers will have the main role of teaching at these schools, where the teacher-student ratio is extremely poor. Teach them about health and hygiene, about the moral lessons of not to harm anyone and not to steal, how to live a good life etc. You can also tell them stories, listen to their stories, and give wings to their imagination. You can make the most of your creative ideas and paint the walls with numbers and alphabets so that the kids can learn quickly. Activity-based learning methods will surely come in handy. Plan your days ahead, and keep the kids engaged as long as you are there.

While your steps might appear to be small, you definitely have the potential to create a bigger impact in the lives of these little ones.

Video

86 F / 68 F
Airports:
Indira Gandhi International Airport
( DEL )

Delhi is a metropolitan area in the north of India, and holds the urban district of New Delhi where the nation's capital and three branches of government reside.

Hosted by Volunteering India

Volunteering India provides safe, affordable and meaningful volunteer programs in India, with the aim of making an impact in the lives of the underprivileged ones.

We offer a vast variety of programs, cultural exchange programs, internships, gap year programs in India, where volunteers can choose to work in New Delhi, Palampur/Dharamshala. Our...

Julia

This was amazing!

I always wanted to do volunteering work in slums so when I heard of this program I knew I definitely wanted to go! I saved money for 2 years and it was really worth it.
When we arrived in Delhi the staff was waiting for us and they brought us to the house where we stayed. Every day the staff was so nice and friendly and the food was very tasty.
We went to a school in a slum. We went there by metro and walking, shankar was walking with us and I really liked to talk with him about his life and family. In the school we did some painting and we teached the children in English an math. Also we played a lot with the children. I loved it to be at the school and every day when we had to leave I felt really sad because I wanted to stay with the children. The children are so wonderfull, they have nothing but are so happy with every little thing they've got. The energy I got from the children was really special. I miss the children every day and I really want to go back to play and dance with them more!
We also went to a few temples and to the old centre of Delhi. I liked to see something of the city and it was really nice to see the temples and the different religions.
This trip was really impressive because everything in Delhi is so different and I never saw something like this before. I think this was a great opportunity to enlarge my view at the world and think about the big differences between my life and the life of persons who live in other places in the world. I really became aware of doing something I loved to do made so many people happy and I will never forget this.
Thank you so much!

I can't think of any. Everything was very well organised!
Floor

Happy with the little things

It was a really nice stay. I really had the feeling that i could help the children were we have worked with. It were just the little things they were so happy with. I really liked that. The children were so happy everyday and that made me happy to. One girl of the school where we worked said to me " we don't have much but we are okay with it." After this journey i am trying to be happy with the little things. So i think it changed me in a good way.

I don't think i can tell you something that you guys can improve i really liked it. The only thing i really like to see is that Shankar get his one closet haha.
Chelsea

New perspective in a different world - street children program in Delhi

I am a management consultant, taking a break from work. I am an extensive traveler, and India has always been the goal destination for me. I found a great program where I could travel and feel the culture / country on a more personal level, at the same time doing some meaningful activities during my stay. I was in Delhi for 2 weeks, for a street children program. The program involves teaching English and math to children from a slum area in Delhi.

1) Program
The placement is located in Okhla Phase I, which is a slum area, which is typically not a destination for tourists. Despite the high English level and easiness in getting around in Delhi, what I experienced in Okhla was something completely new. The neighbors of Okhla were first wary of my visits, but soon after were all welcoming with great smiles whenever I walked down the narrow paths of the colorful buildings. Children were caring and giving, despite their young ages. They were accepting me from day one, sharing anything they could, to make me feel at home. They even offered me to live in their houses, so that I didn't have to go back to Korea.

The children are easily inspired and motivated with even the slightest encouragement to their work and effort. They all have passion and find joy in learning. Even during the 2 weeks of time, with some personalized tutoring and lessons, they even showed great improvements in their class work. It was even possible to see their engagement and attendance level to class was higher. It is a great motivation not only for children, but also to the volunteers. They motivated me in a way to see the areas I have never seen before, and find beauty and passion there. It was truly a magnificent experience.

2) Local staff
Before coming to the trip, and throughout, I was in very good care from all the staff at Volunteering India. The level of care I got from them were so personal and considerate, I feel like I have made good friends in India as well. From accommodation, getting a sim card, photo copies, groceries, buying school supplies, tours within Delhi, and even tours outside of Delhi - all the staff took my problems as their own and did their best to make my stay enjoyable and easy.

I personally thanked all the staff as well, because through them, I feel like I understood the real sides of India, not just as a tourist. I feel like the understandings I had regarding the culture and history made me experience India on a much deeper level.

3) Overall
The time in Delhi has made me realize and experience so many things about myself and the world around. Although it was a 'volunteering trip', I feel like I received so much more from India, than what I could give during the trip. This has inspired me greatly to get involved continuously and plan my next trip around. I would definitely recommend to others who are searching themselves, and figure out what they want to do to add value to their surroundings.

During the first couple of days, when the children are handful and I was new, trying to figure out the academic levels of children and finding what I could do was slightly difficult. I would imagine it should be the same way with most volunteers. One way to guide during the confusing first few days, can be through giving some curriculum or class materials so that the volunteers don't take too long settling in.
Branavie

Thumbs up for Volunteering in Beautiful Palampur!

Hi, I'm a Speech Pathology student from Sydney and I just got back from one month of volunteering in Palampur, India. I went through an Australian company whom are affiliated with the organisation, 'Volunteering India'.

After returning just two weeks ago, I can't help but rave about how amazing my experience was in India. Even though I have travelled to India before with my family, this was a totally different and so much more special experience for me.

The guys who work for volunteering India in Palampur, know Palampur inside out and have years of experience running volunteering programs in their beautiful town. They are definitely not short of knowledge and are so friendly, so there's no way you feel left out. They set you up at placements suited to your field of study and are happy to hear what you're interested in and work with you to ensure you have the most rewarding experience for yourself and the most beneficial for the community. Since I am studying speech Pathology, I volunteered at the Rotary School for children with disabilities. However, there are plenty of ways you can volunteer in Palampur depending on your area of study. For example the other students who travelled with me had backgrounds in nursing, midwifery and physiotherapy, so they were allocated placements at the various hospitals and medical clinics in Palampur. There was also a group of school students while I was in Palampur who had come on an expedition camp and their goal was to paint three Childcare centres within a few days! It was incredible what they had achieved in such a short space of time. There really is so many ways to volunteer in this small town, and every experience is so rewarding!

It's so easy to build friendships with the town people. Everyone is so welcoming and friendly. We were looked after well by our in-country partners Bobby and Amit who work for Volunteering India. They are two very kind and approachable people whom I’m very happy to call my friends. Not just them, but so many wonderful people I've met in Palampur will be my friends for life!

I am having withdrawal symptoms and just want to go back right now!! Looking forward to planning my next trip there in the near future! If you do go, make sure you stare at the mountains for a little bit longer every time...It’s worth it! After all, it’s not every day that you get to wake up to the Himalayas!!!

I definitely recommend ‘Volunteering India’ to anyone who wants to volunteer and experience India differently.

I would love if it was recommended for students to learn the basics of the language prior to arriving in India. This would make the transition to the culture and community easier. It was helpful that the in-country partners taught me some Hindi while I was there but I wish I was better prepared as this would've helped me more during placement as well as when touring the town.
Ashley

Opening your eyes to another world

I'll by saying this trip was my first outside of Australia. I went through Swinburne university with a team of fellow students. Going on a trip like has allows you to discover yourself and a place nothing like I had seen before. This trip is superbly well organised and the support is fantastic, allowing your to embrace and connect with the rich culture of India as well as think about the differences that need to be made to give a better quality of life to some of the people we engaged with. I would highly recommend this trip for 3 main reasons.

1. I have since secured full time work out of uni and global experience was a big part of that.

2. It develops your independance and ability to jump at new chance and opportunity

3. You become apart of the culture and get to live in someone else's footsteps just long enough to open your eyes

I believe they program has room to grow and that is exciting. It is more about the pre and post program opportunities that I would love to see improve. Give the volunteer the preparation to make a difference (in the case where we were teaching kids in the slums) and prehaps provide an understanding of what most effective material the kids need. Post program it would be great to have an option to extend the stay or stay in contact with the school you helped in. (receive updates on their progress)
nikki

Review from Nikki

I reallyy liked the kids and the people. Just think they need more structure so they don't havr to start iver each time a new volenteerer comes in.so thats all . But i really enjoyed being with those lovely kids. I learned a lot and i hope the kids did too.

1 structural way of lessons. In stand of: every volenteerer just do someting. The kids need a lesson structure so they can mive in and improve their skills.
Tamara

New Delhi

I loved seeing New Delhi's temple, they were so beautiful!! Also, helping at the schools was an amazing experience; the children were so lovely and the staff at the schools were very helpful! I'm glad that I could spent time with these people. In my eyes, I would've liked to spent even more time helping at the schools in Delhi. I'll never forget this trip, it has been so much fun.

Chantal

Unforgettable and wonderful experience in India

I had a very good experience with volunteering in India. To work with the children and the staff on the center for street children gave me a good opportunity to learn about the Indian culture. It was great to see smiles on the kids faces everyday when we arrived in the morning and did activities with them, especially because they already had/have such a troubled live. It gives hope they were in good hands in the center and that they can still enjoy small things and have opportunities for the future. The language barrier was a bit difficult in the beginning, but after some basic Hindi words and with mimics, this was also overcome. The most difficult thing was to having to say goodbye to this children and the wonderful people at the center and other people we met in Delhi.