Teach Tibetan Refugees English & I.T. Skills

This program is no longer offered. View more programs from Working Abroad Projects.

An opportunity to work in North India (Dharamsala) and teach both the English language and computer skills to Tibetan refugees. Refugees are all young adults, and the aim of this project is ultimately to improve their employability through academic enrichment. The project takes on up to 20 new students each year, so volunteers will have the opportunity not only to teach larger groups, but also offer one-to-one teaching sessions with students.

Teachers are required to:
- be fluent in English (for language teaching)
- be able to teach MS Office, Adobe CS and web development (for computer teaching)
- be ready to work hard
- be prepared to live in basic accommodation for at least 2 months
- be at least 20 years of age

Katie

A beautiful experience

Wow! How fortunate I was to have had the experience to teach the inspiring students at the Kunpan cultural school! Never have I been so impressed with a group of people of any age: determination, cooperation, compassion, and love of daily life. This experience exceeded my expectations in every way.
When I arrived bleary-eyed and jet-lagged the kind group welcomed me with an unobtrusive collective "hello". I ate a quick breakfast and slept my fogginess away. When I woke for lunch, a couple of the students chatted with me pleasantly and I pondered, "How will my feelings for these students grow? There are so many to get to know in 2 short months. How will I possibly learn all of their names?" The answers came quite quickly. My fondness for these young adults blossomed into utter admiration after having the honor of reading some of their harrowing stories of their journeys to India. I was touched by their passion for learning English and their ability to remain positive and filled with laughter while simultaneously missing and worrying about their families back home. I quickly discovered a loving admiration for each one of them. As for their names that took about a week.
I will not lie, it takes some time to get used to showering and washing your clothes in a spring, eating 3 meals a day as a group, and sharing one western toilet with all of the volunteers. However, I was surprised at how quickly I came to appreciate these aspects. I learned to slow down, to appreciate what I have, and to recognize what I really don't need.
With the help of these students, I learned a lot as a teacher, but mostly, as a compassionate human being. Whenever I wanted, these students would talk with me about Buddhism. They each live their lives with such compassion and patience, it is absolutely heartwarming. Through their example, I quit killing mosquitoes (and in turn, I think they stopped biting me), and ushered out of my room safely a whole host of small harmless "visitors". I became more patient and quickly understood that very rarely do things go as planned, but that is the beauty of just letting go and letting life happen. These students are masters of this mentality and I know it is a lesson that the Western world needs to learn. I feel so blessed have learned it from such kind and gentle teachers.
The life here is not always easy, but the challenges bring you closer to your co-workers and students. Plus, you will rediscover a sense of humor about life's little mishaps that many of us lost after childhood. From the deepest part of my being, I thank these students, Choephel, the administrative team, and the Board of E.S. Tibet, and the team at Working Abroad for this experience. It is one I will never forget and will always cherish. I wish these students so much luck, success, and happiness. They deserve it and Buddha knows, they have certainly earned it.
Tashi delek!

About Working Abroad Projects

We are a not-for-profit company, established in March 2002, in order to provide small scale organisations with need-based support from volunteers. Our main areas of focus are: wildlife and habitat conservation, environmental education and management,...