Volunteer projects in New Delhi, India

Volunteer projects in New Delhi, India

Join Volunteering India to travel and make a difference in New Delhi, India! Volunteering India offers a variety of types of volunteer projects. Volunteering India works with local organizations to guarantee the most positive social impact possible. Volunteers can work with in many different fields including: teaching, childcare, women's empowerment, orphanage work, and more. Volunteering India offers their programs throughout the year starting at $249 USD. Projects can last from one to 8 weeks, summer and group/family trips are also popular. Check out the Volunteering India site for more information!

Asia » India » Delhi
Asia » India

I spent about 250€ in my 3 week program. Luca food is very cheap there, while occidental restaurants (like pizza hut or dunkin donuts) have a very similar price to what we are used to. Also souvenirs are cheap.

Rachel
Ellon, Aberdeenshire

India 2016 summer pogram

aside from being an absolutely beautiful country where i made so many fond memories, i will always remember india as the place where my awareness of other ways of life grew tremendously. spending time in the slums of delhi made me realise that not only am i incredibly fourtunate but that even if i wasnt, there are still so many things to be happy about. the children in the school we volunteered in were so full of happiness and stories to share with me, which i adored. i have never been more inspired by a group of people than i was by those children and for that i am forever thankful. as one of the youngest members of our group of volunteers i feel i learned a lot about independence and responsibility, both from my surroundings and from other group members. it was interesting having so many nationalities all together and now i feel like i have new friends all over the world! this trip opened my eyes to so many opportunities that exist in the world and it has inspired me to travel as much as i can in the future. also, maybe most importantly of all, it has taught me things i never realised about myself, and i hope to be able to apply my newfound hope and open mindedness to my everyday life. thank you

Julia

This was amazing!

I always wanted to do volunteering work in slums so when I heard of this program I knew I definitely wanted to go! I saved money for 2 years and it was really worth it.
When we arrived in Delhi the staff was waiting for us and they brought us to the house where we stayed. Every day the staff was so nice and friendly and the food was very tasty.
We went to a school in a slum. We went there by metro and walking, shankar was walking with us and I really liked to talk with him about his life and family. In the school we did some painting and we teached the children in English an math. Also we played a lot with the children. I loved it to be at the school and every day when we had to leave I felt really sad because I wanted to stay with the children. The children are so wonderfull, they have nothing but are so happy with every little thing they've got. The energy I got from the children was really special. I miss the children every day and I really want to go back to play and dance with them more!
We also went to a few temples and to the old centre of Delhi. I liked to see something of the city and it was really nice to see the temples and the different religions.
This trip was really impressive because everything in Delhi is so different and I never saw something like this before. I think this was a great opportunity to enlarge my view at the world and think about the big differences between my life and the life of persons who live in other places in the world. I really became aware of doing something I loved to do made so many people happy and I will never forget this.
Thank you so much!

I can't think of any. Everything was very well organised!

Robert

Wolfert Dalton 2016

We came as a group of 17 students ( 15- 17 years) with 2 teachers to work in Delhi at some schools. We do this every year.
We stayed in two houses.
They were clean and well equiped.
Every morning breakfast was provided by Shankar en Rameesh. We were also escorted to the schools, and picked up during lunch and at the end of the day where they also provided dinner.
In short words : we were in good hands, safe and sound. Allways joyfull and helpfull. They took care of the sick students. The food was excellent.
In the meanwhile there was a very diverse cultural program, well organised.
I have only positive facts to mention and i would recommend other school to join this program.

Love and respect to all workers of the organisation and the schools.
mr Robert

Floor
Rotterdam

Happy with the little things

It was a really nice stay. I really had the feeling that i could help the children were we have worked with. It were just the little things they were so happy with. I really liked that. The children were so happy everyday and that made me happy to. One girl of the school where we worked said to me " we don't have much but we are okay with it." After this journey i am trying to be happy with the little things. So i think it changed me in a good way.

I don't think i can tell you something that you guys can improve i really liked it. The only thing i really like to see is that Shankar get his one closet haha.

Chelsea
Seoul, Korea mostly

New perspective in a different world - street children program in Delhi

I am a management consultant, taking a break from work. I am an extensive traveler, and India has always been the goal destination for me. I found a great program where I could travel and feel the culture / country on a more personal level, at the same time doing some meaningful activities during my stay. I was in Delhi for 2 weeks, for a street children program. The program involves teaching English and math to children from a slum area in Delhi.

1) Program
The placement is located in Okhla Phase I, which is a slum area, which is typically not a destination for tourists. Despite the high English level and easiness in getting around in Delhi, what I experienced in Okhla was something completely new. The neighbors of Okhla were first wary of my visits, but soon after were all welcoming with great smiles whenever I walked down the narrow paths of the colorful buildings. Children were caring and giving, despite their young ages. They were accepting me from day one, sharing anything they could, to make me feel at home. They even offered me to live in their houses, so that I didn't have to go back to Korea.

The children are easily inspired and motivated with even the slightest encouragement to their work and effort. They all have passion and find joy in learning. Even during the 2 weeks of time, with some personalized tutoring and lessons, they even showed great improvements in their class work. It was even possible to see their engagement and attendance level to class was higher. It is a great motivation not only for children, but also to the volunteers. They motivated me in a way to see the areas I have never seen before, and find beauty and passion there. It was truly a magnificent experience.

2) Local staff
Before coming to the trip, and throughout, I was in very good care from all the staff at Volunteering India. The level of care I got from them were so personal and considerate, I feel like I have made good friends in India as well. From accommodation, getting a sim card, photo copies, groceries, buying school supplies, tours within Delhi, and even tours outside of Delhi - all the staff took my problems as their own and did their best to make my stay enjoyable and easy.

I personally thanked all the staff as well, because through them, I feel like I understood the real sides of India, not just as a tourist. I feel like the understandings I had regarding the culture and history made me experience India on a much deeper level.

3) Overall
The time in Delhi has made me realize and experience so many things about myself and the world around. Although it was a 'volunteering trip', I feel like I received so much more from India, than what I could give during the trip. This has inspired me greatly to get involved continuously and plan my next trip around. I would definitely recommend to others who are searching themselves, and figure out what they want to do to add value to their surroundings.

During the first couple of days, when the children are handful and I was new, trying to figure out the academic levels of children and finding what I could do was slightly difficult. I would imagine it should be the same way with most volunteers. One way to guide during the confusing first few days, can be through giving some curriculum or class materials so that the volunteers don't take too long settling in.

Branavie
Sydney, Australia
University of Sydney

Thumbs up for Volunteering in Beautiful Palampur!

Hi, I'm a Speech Pathology student from Sydney and I just got back from one month of volunteering in Palampur, India. I went through an Australian company whom are affiliated with the organisation, 'Volunteering India'.

After returning just two weeks ago, I can't help but rave about how amazing my experience was in India. Even though I have travelled to India before with my family, this was a totally different and so much more special experience for me.

The guys who work for volunteering India in Palampur, know Palampur inside out and have years of experience running volunteering programs in their beautiful town. They are definitely not short of knowledge and are so friendly, so there's no way you feel left out. They set you up at placements suited to your field of study and are happy to hear what you're interested in and work with you to ensure you have the most rewarding experience for yourself and the most beneficial for the community. Since I am studying speech Pathology, I volunteered at the Rotary School for children with disabilities. However, there are plenty of ways you can volunteer in Palampur depending on your area of study. For example the other students who travelled with me had backgrounds in nursing, midwifery and physiotherapy, so they were allocated placements at the various hospitals and medical clinics in Palampur. There was also a group of school students while I was in Palampur who had come on an expedition camp and their goal was to paint three Childcare centres within a few days! It was incredible what they had achieved in such a short space of time. There really is so many ways to volunteer in this small town, and every experience is so rewarding!

It's so easy to build friendships with the town people. Everyone is so welcoming and friendly. We were looked after well by our in-country partners Bobby and Amit who work for Volunteering India. They are two very kind and approachable people whom I’m very happy to call my friends. Not just them, but so many wonderful people I've met in Palampur will be my friends for life!

I am having withdrawal symptoms and just want to go back right now!! Looking forward to planning my next trip there in the near future! If you do go, make sure you stare at the mountains for a little bit longer every time...It’s worth it! After all, it’s not every day that you get to wake up to the Himalayas!!!

I definitely recommend ‘Volunteering India’ to anyone who wants to volunteer and experience India differently.

I would love if it was recommended for students to learn the basics of the language prior to arriving in India. This would make the transition to the culture and community easier. It was helpful that the in-country partners taught me some Hindi while I was there but I wish I was better prepared as this would've helped me more during placement as well as when touring the town.

Natasha
Australia
University of Queensland

Volunteering in Palampur

I volunteered with Antipodeans abroad as a third year nursing and midwifery Student in Palampur, India. This experience was fantastic with working in a local women's hospital in the week and then being able to travel as a group on the weekends. We did lots of travelling but this led to lots of fun experiences from paragliding, to hiking, to visiting the Pakistan Border and the golden temple, visiting many markets and temples, sightseeing, eating amazing food in different places, and of course staying in comfortable hotels. Best experience would have been paragliding in the Himalayas, such a beautiful view. We even got invited to an Indian wedding and jumped in the back of a quad bike one night which was a heap of fun. You meet so many lovely people and get to stay with other incredible volunteers. This was a great experience.

Maybe just more western foods made by the cook. I was very ill and often, and once I started vomiting I couldn't stand to eat any more curry. This made my trip less enjoyable as I really only ate breakfast. But oh well, I lost 5kg so who is complaining. Also a more comfortable hang out area would be cool, to have almost like a lounge area or something with a good TV and DVD player for everyone to hang out and watch together, otherwise it was still nice being able to play cards and read books too.

Carolina
1 year old
Madrid, Spain

Amazing life experience

India has surpried me and changed me. Its culture, customs and people hopitality.
It was also the girls I shared this amazing journey with. We will hopefully keep the friendship for many years. I thank the company for all the support.

Response from Volunteering India

Hello Carolina,

Thanks for writing a review about us, it is lovely to see that you enjoyed the program and gave us 10/10. I am not sure why you have said that you would not recommend our program, maybe it was a mistake?

Hoping to have you back in India with us.

Thanks
Team Volunteering India

Betty
Barcelona, Spain

Alternative trip

Have you ever wondered what would it be lije to get to know another country in all of it's essences? Well, I always do. One of th things I like the most is to travel. Trips like going to a beach with an awesome hotel and chill are ok, but if you're looking for an enriching experience while traveling, this summer program is the best for you. During the india summer program, I got the opportunity to get to know lots of the emblematic places of this country and I also could help the people who lived there by teaching the basic subjects to the children. One of the moments I will always remember will be one of the days volunteering in Delhi, a man and a girl showed us the place where all our children lived with their families. All full of dirt, dogs, kids playing around, wires hanging everywhere... This types of experiences are the ones that enrich you the most and you can't get with a conventional trip, with the summer program, you get to know the real essence of india.

Emilio
Barcelona, Spain
Ramon Llull University

Find yourself

This program in such country helps you help others, and while you do so you really find your inner self. You have plenty of opportunities to go for a walk or just relax and meditate, and that really helps on forgetting all your problems and finding new objectives in your life. I really loved this experience.

I would include more meals on the price (even though price then would be higher).

Ashley
Melbourne
Swinburne University of Technology

Opening your eyes to another world

I'll by saying this trip was my first outside of Australia. I went through Swinburne university with a team of fellow students. Going on a trip like has allows you to discover yourself and a place nothing like I had seen before. This trip is superbly well organised and the support is fantastic, allowing your to embrace and connect with the rich culture of India as well as think about the differences that need to be made to give a better quality of life to some of the people we engaged with. I would highly recommend this trip for 3 main reasons.

1. I have since secured full time work out of uni and global experience was a big part of that.

2. It develops your independance and ability to jump at new chance and opportunity

3. You become apart of the culture and get to live in someone else's footsteps just long enough to open your eyes

I believe they program has room to grow and that is exciting. It is more about the pre and post program opportunities that I would love to see improve. Give the volunteer the preparation to make a difference (in the case where we were teaching kids in the slums) and prehaps provide an understanding of what most effective material the kids need. Post program it would be great to have an option to extend the stay or stay in contact with the school you helped in. (receive updates on their progress)

Sofia
London
Nottingham Trent University

Great!

I had a really great time with Volunteer India. I felt that I got a lot for my money as we saw so many different things and had some amazing experiences. The staff are really friendly and helpful. I felt safe in a country I had never been before. All the accommodation and food was fantastic - even for someone who doesn't like spicy food!

Personally, I did not find the day in Amrtisar enjoyable - I would rather have had longer in Delhi!

Fien
Rotterdam, The Netherlands

The most impressive week of my life

For me, the highlight of my week in India was definitely the interaction with the children at the schools. Their enthusiasm was extremely contagious :-). I also enjoyed the sightseeing. It was a lot of walking for us, especially since we're not used to the heat and those distances, however, this couldn't ruin the fun!

The walking distances.

Merel

An amazing week in New Delhi

The whole trip was amazing ! In the first days we visited temples, some with many decorations and some that had not that much decorations. We also went shopping at the market so we could buy some things for our families. After these days we were starting to paint and teach at the schools. We also played games and sang with the children. This was super fun to do with all the sweet children. I realy enjoyed my time in New Delhi and I would love to come back !

Saskia
Delft
University of Wisconsin- Madison

Excellent staff and lovely projects make this an unforgettable experience

Our school has come to Delhi several times to participate in the program and we have loved all of our trips. The staff are wonderful and ensure a safe and enjoyable stay for our students. The projects are well run and very worthwhile. The teachers at the schools are very dedicated to their students and we feel welcomed into their world for the duration of our stay.

For returning groups it would be nice to reduce the registration fee or something similar. Especially since our yearly trip is only for 8 or 9 days each time the registration takes up a big chunk of our budget. The accommodation fees are excellent and worth every penny! We do understand that the fees are already low and the services provided are excellent.

nikki
the netherlands

?

I reallyy liked the kids and the people. Just think they need more structure so they don't havr to start iver each time a new volenteerer comes in.so thats all . But i really enjoyed being with those lovely kids. I learned a lot and i hope the kids did too.

1 structural way of lessons. In stand of: every volenteerer just do someting. The kids need a lesson structure so they can mive in and improve their skills.

Tamara
Rotterdam, the Netherlands

New Delhi

I loved seeing New Delhi's temple, they were so beautiful!! Also, helping at the schools was an amazing experience; the children were so lovely and the staff at the schools were very helpful! I'm glad that I could spent time with these people. In my eyes, I would've liked to spent even more time helping at the schools in Delhi. I'll never forget this trip, it has been so much fun.

Sarah
PA
Pennsylvania State University

Such an amazing experience

This experience was wonderful and taught me so much about life and myself that I couldn't learn in school. I met amazing people and learned a lot about a completely different culture. I will always hold this trip close to my heart.

Chantal
Leiden, The Netherlands

Unforgettable and wonderful experience in India

I had a very good experience with volunteering in India. To work with the children and the staff on the center for street children gave me a good opportunity to learn about the Indian culture. It was great to see smiles on the kids faces everyday when we arrived in the morning and did activities with them, especially because they already had/have such a troubled live. It gives hope they were in good hands in the center and that they can still enjoy small things and have opportunities for the future. The language barrier was a bit difficult in the beginning, but after some basic Hindi words and with mimics, this was also overcome. The most difficult thing was to having to say goodbye to this children and the wonderful people at the center and other people we met in Delhi.

stefania
como, italy

i worked as volunteer in a street children program and i like it very much. it's been a different way to know and understand another culture and to really live it.

i enjoyed every moment i spent with the children and the staff and i learn what means be happy just for a touch, a kiss or some attention, something that too often we take for granted.
did this experience change me? yes it did, not in a big way, but in the little things, like give a smile or be ready to listen what people has to tell me, to find the time to look around and see if someone needs my help, to be happy for what i have.
i lived in the volunteer house and the staff has been very kind and helpful, as the local people. i felt safe in the house and outside, never be afraid to go around alone.
what else to say? it's been a great experience that i hope to do again in the future and something i would like to suggest to everyone.

Caroline
Venlo, the Netherlands

awesome programme

I didn't know what to expect when I came to India.I had the best experience ever, wish I could do this every year. India is a beautiful country with real nice and concerning people.It was maybe the best experience of my life. I had so much fun and I will never forget the time! Volunteering India was also supportive and helpful to me, overall. Small, but reputable organization.

An effort, as small as spending time helping others, can go a long way in bringing change in lives of many. The sheer feeling of accomplishment or joy that you get by lending a helping hand to people and organizations can be quite overwhelming.

We