GeoVisions - Walk and Talk: Tutoring and Childcare in Italy

Rome, Italy with GeoVisions
Rome, Italy with GeoVisions

If you love food, wine, and the seaside (who doesn't?!) then GeoVisions has a program designed especially for you. The GeoVisions Walk and Talk program in Italy places volunteers with a host family in Italy (placements throughout Italy are available). You will be assisting the family with childcare part of the time, and tutoring them in English part of the time. It's the perfect combination of an Au Pair program and a tutoring program.

Volunteers are asked to devote 20 hours a week to assist with childcare and conversational English lessons, in exchange for free room and board! Families provide a small stipend. Spend your free time exploring the area and experiencing the culture around you.

Program fee starting at US$849.

WhenInRome

Hopefully an isolated incident/experience

The company and its consulates (who appeared to be the bigger problem) need to make sure the family understands the guidelines of the program and sticks to them. Geovisions made everything easy before the trip and kept in good contact to answer questions. The particular family I was assigned to was wonderful the first day and then the matriarch changed overnight. Instead of the 5 hour days, 5 days a week I was contracted to work, I was working 14-16 hours every day of the week. That is not an exaggeration. The mom thought I was at her every disposal because I stayed with them and I had absolutely no free time while I was there. I only saw some of Rome's landmarks (Vatican from the outside and the Colliseum) on my last night there because the dad felt bad for me. He apologized as he brought me to the airport upon my early departure- we're talking several weeks early- and which I had to pay for. The mom said she did not have to pay me my weekly stipends for the time I was there either. The moments where I got to actually engage in activities with the children were great. They were interested in learning a few English words to coincide with what we were doing and they taught me some Italian as well. I've been a nanny in the US for years and do understand the differences in being an au pair overseas. My program was not set up for me to have 0 free time but that is what I got. When I was put in touch with the consulate (who wasn't even in Italy at the time), she seemed willing to work things out so everyone would be happy during the first phone call. After that, she said I should just go along with whatever the mom's wishes were for working hours. Her offer to place me with a different family when she returned to Italy wasn't to take place until 2 weeks later (over a month in to the program) and the mom I stayed with insisted I be out as soon as possible. She clearly did not understand what I was there for (flexible hours, yes. Working all hours? No.) and she did not want to sit down and make sure we were on the same page, following the program's guidelines. It was a shame because it seemed like a nice neighborhood- I was indoors most of my stay so I can't be entirely sure- and the rest of the family was great. I'm hoping this was an isolated incident and that others have much better experiences. I'm really bummed that I didn't have a good one, as I had been planning this for years. I will still recommend the program; it just needs some clarification. However, make sure you have every assurance about hours and pay so you don't end up being out thousands of dollars like I was. I didn't even receive any follow up about the whole ordeal.

Location:
Milan Malpensa
( MXP )
Venice Marco Polo
( VCE )

Italy has long been a bucket list item for people, and its no wonder with the ancient ruins, astounding scenery, and renowned museums; all accompanied by the beautiful Italian language. When visiting Italy, be prepared to see big differences in accents and food while moving between regions.

About GeoVisions Foundation

Get paid to teach English abroad or be an au pair. Volunteer to tutor English or be a language summer camp counselor. This is a great way to reward yourself with a working vacation for 1 to 12 months in Thailand, France, Italy, and 10 other countries...