Affordable and Meaningful Ways to Travel around the World

Arts and Crafts
Arts and Crafts
Roofing
Roofing
International volunteers playing games in a host community.
International volunteers playing games in a host community.
Festivals
Festivals
Lots of time off
Lots of time off
Camaraderie
Camaraderie
Working with kids
Working with kids

Join us for the adventure of a lifetime! Volunteers For Peace can place you on a team of international volunteers to share in a meaningful community service project designed, planned, and hosted by local partners.

Work project types vary by country but can include: environmental and wildlife conservation, historic preservation, educational and language learning, archaeology, organic farming, arts and festival projects, and social services such as working with children, the elderly, or refugees.

Projects are designed to combine service with recreational activities and cultural exchange – whether by visiting local beaches, learning local dances, meeting local officials, or volunteering side by side with residents of the place you’re visiting. Each project is unique, but they all share in bringing people together for the most meaningful travel experience you can imagine.

Projects are offered year-round. Most are offered in mid-March.

VFP can only place US citizens.

• Choose from a wide range of volunteer projects based on your interests and skills.
  • Live, work, cook, and play with volunteers from other countries and come away with a new international network.
  • Explore the place where you are volunteering and enjoy local activities.
  • Work on locally identified priorities and benefit local communities.
  • Be an ambassador for peace by sharing and immersing yourself in a highly intercultural environment.

Impact

Volunteers For Peace (VFP) offers programs that promote intercultural education, service learning, and community development.

We aim to empower host communities through cooperative work in environmental sustainability, social justice, and peace.

Volunteers get the chance to develop their leadership skills and build connections across the globe. We advocate for civic engagement and encourage volunteers to apply their new skills as citizen diplomats, community activists, and global leaders.

Would you like more information about this program?

Click below to get in contact with a personal advisor at Volunteers for Peace. We would love to answer your questions and help you discover if this program is the right fit for you!

Eileen

A dream come true

This project has allowed me to get immersed in the culture here in England. I have met wonderful families, with whom I work with, and they have welcomed me into their homes like I'm family. It has been very rewarding working with volcare and people with various types of illnesses /diseases. I have been able to explore the beautiful county of Kent, while living in historic Canterbury. There has been tremendous support and training from Volcare to feel comfortable and confident to do this project to the best of my ability. Best decision I've ever made to do this volunteer project.

I met various families from day to day, dealing with many different illnesses and had to form trusting bonds with these people. Every family dynamic was unique. I gave home based respite care for people caring for their loved ones. I did everything from medication administration and personal care, to cooking and companionship. Each family needed me for 1 day up to 2 weeks at a time. I was able to be immersed in the culture and formed lasting friendships with some families. Some difficulties were getting acclimated to my surroundings and taking busses or trains to the clients homes. I have kept in touch with some people and will be life long friends with my fellow volunteer housemates from around the world.

More volunteers allowed for this project. This type of work is in such high demand and there are not enough people to accommodate all the families needs.
gladdest_thing

Good Overall...

My experience was good overall, although I had some complaints about my specific program (through Uganda Pioneers Association). I think this was unusual, but I was the only non-local person in my work group, which was nice in some ways but a little isolating. Pretty much everyone in the group was frustrated with the lack of a clear schedule, changes in plans, etc. Our work came out fine but we all felt we could have accomplished more with a little more organization and guidance. Go with an open mind and a willingness to take on some leadership yourself and it will be great!

Wachau

Wachau, Austria, a little bit of heaven on earth.

I can't begin to list what I enjoyed most of all, the people I worked with, the food or the country side. We were a total of 20 volunteers between the ages of 16 to 25 and with the exception of myself all from different parts of Europe.
The reception was well planned as we played games to get better acquainted and had a good review of what was expected of us, the kind of work and the purpose of it. Sounded so simple, raking hay all day and getting rid of invasive plants. Since we worked in the midst of vine yards, there was no more life stock for grazing and keeping the meadows in check. Weeds had taken over and we were to curb their growth. Work on sometimes steep slopes was demanding, the weather hot, thorns unforgiving and the wasps made a nuisance of themselves. What made the job so tolerable was the team work. Imagine 20 people (not counting some of the locals) who had never met before, all with various cultural backgrounds, trying to communicate in a foreign language, brought together on the slopes of Austria to rake mountainous rows of hay in one line. We came together as one team which was truly overwhelming. At the end of the day, as we looked back on our accomplishments, a smooth meadow and tons of hay scattered in the woods, we had made an impact on the country side, a difference we were proud of and all our daily mishaps faded away. (Farmers can't feed the hay to the animals since it contained Herbstzeitlose, a poisonous plant).
Work was a total of 4 days per week and the rest of the time was filled with various trips, all sponsored, to show us the beauty of the country plus a glimpse into its rich history. For example swimming in the Danube and a boat ride, visit to an ancient castle and even a private tour in a monastery. There were also the simple fun things like trying unsuccessfully to play an alphorn we had found hanging in a hut, stuffing ourselves with berries we picked along the way, having a mud fight and building sand castles on the shore of the Danube or a night hike with torches. There was something for everybody. The local people, some came at times to work and mingle with us, were very appreciative of us.
Our stay was in a local B&B, packed lunch and supper in a restaurant. Food was outstanding and plentiful. Back here in the States I still miss the warm rolls for breakfast. There were 4 vegetarians among us and consideration was well taken.
As for safety, we were told ahead of times to bring boots and were issued gloves. In addition we had safety instructions about the brush cutters. However, I will never get used to their driving, the narrow roads and the speed in which they zoom about. One driver even took photos while driving, with a steep slope on one side.
All good things come to an end, we had to say good bye. There was lots of hugging with promises to write. I will always look back with plenty of good memories, especially the camaraderie I experienced and I am already thinking about my next volunteer trip.

mbiegel

Irish Association for Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus

The international volunteers met on the first day of the program in Dublin to learn more about the organization and an overview of what camp would be like. We then spent the night in a hostel before taking the bus to camp the next morning.

We met the Irish staff and volunteers at camp and were given a tour while awaiting the arrival of campers. Camp was a long work day, up at 6am to help campers dress etc then off to breakfast before morning activities, ending about 10pm when campers were put to sleep.

I had a wonderful time and found the staff to be professional and very helpful