Rainforest Awakening: Tonggang Conservation & Community

This program is no longer offered. View more programs from Fuze Ecoteer Outdoor Adventures .

Love to trek in the world's oldest rainforest, but also want to help conserve it and meet the local communities? Then the Rainforest Awakening volunteer program is most suitable for you!

The project, located just outside of Ipoh, Malaysia is based a a nice boutique bamboo style resort called The Roots. The resort is just a 30minute walk away from an isolated indigenous village called Tonggang Village. You will spend most of your volunteering time in Tonggang leading school clubs but also learning about the peoples culture. You will also spend a significant amount of your time in the rainforest that borders the village.

In previous years we have collected photographic evidence of leopards, sun bears and elephants living in the nearby forests. You will help to collect the camera traps and analyse the biodiversity and population status of these amazing creatures.

This project is suitable for volunteers of 16 year and above and families with children able to hike for 3 hours or more.

Kristian

Wonderful Experience of a Very Different Culture!

The three days I spent with the Orang Asli people were both wonderful and unforgettable! Both the Ecoteer team and the Orang Asli people welcomed me with such warmth and I immediately felt part of a close knit family. Experiencing the traditions of the community was a big highlight such as practicing with the blowpipe or learning to catch fish with the cleverly designed Bubu trap! Getting to meet the kids in the community and helping them with their English was also a fantastic opportunity! I whole heartedly encourage people to get involved with this wonderful project which not only gives an unforgettable experience for the volunteer but also supports the Orang Asli community.

Perhaps some more bedding could be provided when sleeping in the traditional house as it has a Bamboo floor!
Holly

The experience has given me some unforgettable memories and have made some great friends.

From the start of the adventure, everybody was very welcoming, the trip was laid out to us so we knew what to expect. The first few days were difficult adjusting to the heat and the time difference so it was nice to take it easy and there was just enough time for me to fully adjust to changes before starting the trek.

All activities eg. the flying fox, badminton etc were great fun and allowed us to gel into the group. Sri was excellent with translating and could answer all of our questions. Although sometimes tricky eating new food, the opportunities and variety of food we were given was amazing. My favourite part of the adventure was visiting the Orang Asli, as it was so interesting and great to experience a completely different way of life. Teaching the children was amazing but would have been nice to perhaps do it over two days as the children were slightly shy to begin with.

Overall, the experience has given me some unforgettable memories and have made some great friends. Would love to come back and visit again.

Timing was sometimes delayed which caused us to miss out on some activities.
Jack

Its a real life changer and really makes me appreciate everything a lot more

My experience volunteering was one of the most amazing experiences in my life. It's a real life changer and really makes me appreciate everything a lot more. The Orang Asli has really taught me that it's not always the nice things in life but family and friends and helping the community that can get you by in life and enjoying every moment.

The Ecoteer team were amazing and I have made so many more friends but the worse part was saying good bye.

The Mount Korbu Trek has really made me push myself and my limits which I would like to say a thank you .

Sometimes the timing is out, for example we took longer for some activities than expected so we couldn't do others.
Lottie

Loved my two weeks here.

Thoroughly enjoyed my 2 weeks on this program and recommend it highly. Loved the challenge of the trek and enjoyed being taught about, and how to use camera traps. Throughout the two weeks the staff were lovely and the whole project was well organised. The food and accomodation was also of a good quality.

Daniel

Excellent Experience

This is the first mountain I climbed and I loved every minute of it. I felt like with the people I climbed with we became a little family, looking out for each other! If you want to do a volunteering holiday/trip I would recommend this. The staff was very friendly and very helpful.

About Fuze Ecoteer Outdoor Adventures

Fuze Ecoteer Outdoor Adventures is a travel company with a bite!

Our team are all experienced and passionate, with two of our project staff currently studying for their PhD and a third planning to. Our business model utilizes revenue generated from...