Starting from
$1184

Perhentian Islands Marine Research & Conservation Station, Malaysia

• Work with researchers, to help collect data on seagrass beds, corals reefs and artificial reefs in the Perhentian Islands
  • Help preserve countless species on the number one island location in Malaysia
  • Discover and understand the local culture of Malaysia
  • Enjoy Fuze Ecoteer lead school expeditions throughout Malaysia
Perhentian Islands
Malaysia
1 to 3 weeks
  • Hostel
, ,

By joining this program, you will help us conduct tropical coral reef and seagrass research on the beautiful Perhentian islands. These islands are well worth a visit for the biodiversity and deserve to be sustained for future generations to enjoy.

If you have never dived before, you will conduct your PADI at one of the local shops before starting your volunteering experience. The main goal of the project is to map and assess the health of the seagrass beds, coral reefs and other habitats around the islands.

This project is suitable for volunteers of 16 year and above.

VOLUNTEER WORK: Seagrass mapping and survey, Coral Reef Mapping,

SCHEDULE: The volunteering activities run from morning until evening with a lunch break in between. For volunteers staying longer than one week, Sundays are usually free days. During your first week, you will go through research training week and week 2 & 3 will be dedicated to surveys.

INCLUDED: 3 Meals per day, Dormitory accommodation, Marine park fee, Return Ferry from Kuala Besut to Perhentian Islands, Minimum 8 dives per week, Snorkel Tour

NOT INCLUDED: Travel, Insurance

Price Calculator

Start Dates

March 19th – With dive course, / 26th – No dive course April 9th or 30th – With dive course / 16th – No dive course May 21st – With dive course / 7th & 28th – No dive course June 11th – With dive course / 18th – No dive course July 2nd & 23rd – With dive course / 9th & 30th – No dive course Aug 13th – With dive course / 20th – No dive course September 3rd & 24th – With dive course / 10th – No dive course October 1st – No dive course

Megan
Leicestershire
University of Portsmouth

Amazing house and dive location!

i had an incredible time on the Perhentian Islands last year and the Blue temple house was the perfect base! Located in the local village, the house allows you to interact with the local children and experience the Malay culture! Neil and Sabi are Incredible, going out of their way to show you all the amazing dive sites and island experiences! The House and hosts leave you feeling relaxed and welcome for your entire stay! LOVED every minute of my stay, i'll definitely be back!

Léo
Paris
Harvard University

A really wonderful diving and Malaysian life experience

I stayed one month volunteering for the Blue Temple Project, allying conservation of the coral reef trough surveys and awareness campaign. It was the best holiday I ever had. A lot better than a simple hotel, I had the opportunity to live in the middle of a Malaysian village, see how they live, learn a bit of their language to communicate with them but also play with very cute kids. I really felt that everything was made for the volunteers the enjoy their stay. Food was very good, the house and the bathroom were clean, the equipment, of a very good quality.
There, the mood was awesome! being with other volunteers from many countries in this amazing "marine conservation mood house" managed by Sabi and Neil, the owners, has been a real pleasure!
I first thought I was going to dive! I quickly realize that there, diving is a unique experience! Diving with Blue Temple is very different from "normal diving" you learn about what's around you, you learn how to recognize the different species of fish, invertebrates and corals which makes things a lot more interesting. Sabi and Neil, the owners, are instructors and you will learn so much diving with them. I felt my skills improving a lot there! Indeed I trained to control my buoyancy in a very precise way. Also, I really enjoyed diving with the same people during a month, you take habits, learn to communicate together, you joke under the water, well... that was really cool, and I miss it!
I couldn't leave the place without thinking I would be back, too hard! I'm still pretty sure I will! So... See you there maybe!

Thanks to Sabi and Neil for this amazing experience!

Getting more volunteers :)

David
Canoa, Ecuador
University of Newcastle

A unique opportunity to engage with the ocean!

I had an incredible experience during my time volunteering at the Perhentian Islands Marine Research Station in Malaysia. A typical day could involve any combination of diving (or learning to dive), underwater surveys, participation in environmental awareness campaigns, beach clean-ups, engaging with the local community and eating delicious local food. The hosts, Neil and Sabina, are amazing teachers when it comes to progressing your diving skills and qualifications. Their passion for the marine environment is infectious and I learnt alot from them during my time on the Perhentian Islands.

Pete
UK
University of Westminster

Fantastic diving and educational experience

I wasn't quite sure what to expect on the Perhentians, but living in the village made it easy to integrate, as well as learn about the local culture. The diving was great. Neil and Sabi are great instructors and provide you with expert tuition on what you need to look for in the reef surveys. Equally as important is their recognition that people want to have fun and the balance for me was perfect.
You will get out of this experience what you put in - the more you get involved the better time you will have!
I'm already planning a return trip (hopefully in 2016!).

Marie
Bunbury Western Australia
Murdoch University

Turtle conservation Perhentian Islands

We volunteered on the Perhentian Islands through Ecoteer at Bubbles Dive Centre for 2 weeks. We had a fantastic time and learnt so a lot about the turtles and threats they face. Our day would consist of working in the hatchery and we would work rotating night shift to patrol the beaches. We also assisted with some high school groups from the UK to teach them and involve them in activities.

We got to experience turtles laying eggs, watching for poachers and assisting with tourists who were also on the island who wished to see turtles lay eggs. Releasing the baby turtles was a real highlight.
The team on the island are very passionate about their work and what they are trying to achieve.

The accommodation was good and we were comfortable. There were opportunities to go snorkeling and diving as work permitted and we felt part of the team on the island.

Would recommend it to anyone interested in turtle conservation.

I felt the project was great. Perhaps the only thing that could be changed/improved would the facilities for down time. Maybe a lounge type area/communal area, place to read etc. That would be my only suggestion.

Maxime
Montreal

Good dives, good people & good moments

I joined this project for one week and this was a great experience for me!!
This project is managed by Neil & Sabina, a couple of diving instructors, in their early ies, very friendly, whole-hearted and fond of diving.
Neil managed to get some funds to start a research project on the diving sites of the Perhentian Islands. These sites are among the best ones in Malaysia where it is usual to watch sharks, turtles, baraccudas, morey eels etc etc.
With the help of Ecoteer, they could get a house in the beautiful muslim village of the small island. That's where I slept with the other diving volunteer.
The day time is shared between diving, eating (lunch at the restaurant, diner at the house or out), resting and doing some activities organised by Ecoteer staff.
Ecoteer is involved in another volunteering project which mainly aimts at teaching some English to the women & children of the village. Part of the activities are shared together wiht the volunteers of both projects: English lesson given to the woman & children, jetty jumping (yeahh), cooking lesson given by the woman of the village, traditional diner at the house of a local village, Malaysian BBQ diner, Malaysian language class etc etc ...
The local people know Ecoteer folks and are very friendly with all the volunteers. The house of Ecoteer are always surrounded with the local kids... very wild and very fun
I had such a great time that I was closed from cancelling the rest of my trip to stay a bit longer!!!

Alan
Brisbane, Australia
Queensland University of Technology

Great diving fun for important marine research

The Perhentian Islands research project is great for those people who love diving/marine conservation and want to to do in a fun, relaxed environment. Fantastic place to learn to dive also (The lead resarchers/instructers are amazing!) Village life is easy going, the locals are friendly and you also have easy access to the resorts to party on days off or relax on the beach.

Come check it out!

The Go Overseas Guarantee

•   Secure payments
  •   Easy, direct messages
  •   Network of travelers
  •   Verified reviews

About the Provider

Fuze Ecoteer Outdoor Adventures is a travel company with a bite!

Our team are all experienced and passionate, with two of our project staff currently studying for their PhD and a third planning to. Our business model utilizes revenue generated from voluntourism to establish self-sustaining