African Impact Volunteer Childcare & Education Programs

African Impact Volunteer Childcare & Education Programs

Many schools in Africa are overwhelmed with a large number of students per class and very limited resources. African Impact and teaching volunteers work mostly with Community Schools, which are staffed by only a few paid teachers and some local helpers. With placements in Cape Town - South Africa, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania and Kenya, you will provide much needed assistance in classroom work to those who require additional help or may be falling behind.

Your help will not only benefit the children and have a significant influence on their futures but you will assist the teachers with ideas, knowledge and skills development, which enables them to grow as education providers and create long-term change.

You can expect days to be long, but you end each day knowing that you have given something back to Africa and made a difference, contributing to a better future for those you came into contact with.

South Africa

• Teaching and Youth Development, Cape Town: Share your passion for education and love of working with children as you work with underprivileged and undeveloped communities in Cape Town. You are also able to combine this project with sports development, gender empowerment projects or working with orphaned and vulnerable children.
  • Orphaned and Vulnerable Children Support, Cape Town: Visit one of the world’s most iconic tourist destinations and play a vital role in enriching the lives of orphaned and vulnerable children. You are also able to combine this project with sports development, gender empowerment projects or teaching.
  • Over 30's Preschool & Community Development Project, Cape Town: Assist community pre-schools, work closely with disadvantaged children and help uplift the community through teaching, healthcare, building projects, sports development and support groups. Join like-minded older volunteers in beautiful Cape Town and use your professional skills and life experience to play a vital role in child development.
  • Orphan Day Care and Community Support, Zululand: Living by the beach and surrounded by Africa’s most magnificent wildlife, a life-changing experience in rural Zululand awaits you as you educate and support orphaned and needy children and families in an underprivileged remote village in South Africa.

Zimbabwe

• Community Teaching and Street Children Support, Antelope Park: Enrich the lives of orphaned and underprivileged children as you immerse yourself in local Zimbabwean culture through direct engagement with the community. Care for, educate and inspire vulnerable children and experience a new sense of appreciation unfold in your own life.
  • Orphan Care & Teaching Project, Victoria Falls: As a volunteer in Zimbabwe you can bring hope and smiles to the needy and orphaned by simple acts of caring, playing, teaching and helping, all while experiencing the beauty and adventures of one of the seven wonders of the world, Victoria Falls.
  • Teaching & Lion Rehabilitation, Antelope Park: Work closely with local schools and communities, teaching and enriching the lives of children, and play a vital role in the conservation of the African lion on the weekends - all while living on stunning game reserve in Zimbabwe!

Tanzania

• Education & Community Project, Kilimanjaro: Teach, care for, and interact with the children and community of Moshi to bring support to this small community as you gaze daily at the exquisite view of the great Mount Kilimanjaro. Your involvement will change their lives, but most of all it will change yours!
  • Teaching & Community Project, Zanzibar: Located on the east coast of Zanzibar Island on a pristine stretch of coastline, you will be teaching in rural schools and working on community development initiatives in the village of Jambiani.

Zambia

• Teaching & Community Project, Livingstone: Based a stone's throw away from the might Victoria falls we invite you to offer much-needed teaching assistance at under-staffed Zambian schools and improve the learning experience for children who are falling behind.

Kenya

• Teaching and Community Support, Kenya: Offer your teaching assistance to vulnerable children in the Limuru community in Kenya, many of whom are orphaned, affected by HIV/AIDS and developmentally challenged. Your extra special care and attention will help promote their development in under-staffed, impoverished schools.

Malawi

• Teaching and Community Upliftment, Malawi: Offer your help as a teaching volunteer on the shores of Lake Malawi and make a genuine difference to the futures of local children. Your caring input will go a long way in schools that are mostly understaffed and weakened by poor infrastructure and declining education levels.
Africa » Tanzania
The volunteer fee for our projects not only covers your accommodation, all meals, transport and resources used while on project; but it also contributes to the development of new projects in communities and areas where help is needed, and gives us the ability to sustain our projects for the long-term. We also offer you 24 hour on the ground support and will collect you from the airport when you arrive!

Sherin
Stockholm

Unreliable organizations

The program is enjoyable for youth who wish to get in contact with the local population. The staff is generally nice and between 20 and 30 years of age. They are helpful as long as you don't question the planning or the project in general. The project is based on teaching English and strengthen the grammar skills of the local students. That is a good thought, but unfortunately you teach something else than the project organisation claims. I asked in advance for a work plan since I did not feel very confident when it comes to English grammar and the staff replied that I shouldn't worry and that we would plan upon arrival. One week before the project start date I got an unegotiable schedule stating that I was going to paint walls, pick litter on the beach and teach English 1,5 hours a day, (since it was Ramadan. Normally it is 3 hours. Some of the activities are the same even when it’s not Ramadan), I was also informed that I would take part in weekly lesson planning together with other volunteers.

Once on site it turned out that the planning was a mere half hour together with a coordinator without teaching experience or even teacher education. To get more support they suggested I would accompany a volunteer who had been at the project for a longer period of time, but it turned out that the teaching experience of that volunteer only consisted of three weeks being at the site and Ramadan started. I have been working as a support teacher and have some experience of how to help young people with difficulties. I was shocked when I noticed how the volunteer who was supposed to be experienced and a support for me was teaching. A week before exams used’s most of the lesson to tell jokes and teach the students another language than English.

Some other volunteers knew even less grammar than the students and yet when the day of exams had passed, no student had passed the exam. You cannot teach English on that low level, which I discussed with the staff. They stressed that the program gives the locals a chance to learn English when they cannot afford formal education. However, the level of the program was so low that it would not make any considerable difference. And if it will be, it will not be about teaching English its more about to get contact with local people and practicing everyday English. Impact only seemed to fool the locals into thinking that we knew what we were doing. There were two staff members with an 'English as a foreign language' education, but none of them took part in the actual activities. Instead the activities are run by unexperienced and uneducated staff. Nobody I worked with knew how to teach or to solve problems associated with teaching. Many students knew how to take part in simple conversations, but I believe they had learned that from talking to the islands numerous tourists rather than from African Impact's teaching program.

During community project we were painting a school, but the paint started to come of before we had even finished. We cannot have used the best method, so apparently none within the group had the know how. I do not know why a local specialist weren't employed to help us out with this.

When I tried to discuss all these issues with the local staff, they said that there was nothing they could do. But when I discussed with the head office later on, they said the issues would have been solved if I had discussed with the local staff instead. I even asked about how they use my money (since its very expansive and we did not got enough of food every meal and some of teenager had to put back of his food so that would be enough for all), I got a general information as answer. The local staff also pointed out that being there during Ramadan means less teaching and fewer tasks, but other volunteers who had stayed for longer said it was the same before Ramadan had started.

In total, the whole experience seemed to be like youth camp not serious teaching volunteer organisation. My advice check carefully all information you receive. You do not know who really are working in the organisation since there is no site which presents the stuff

Response from African Impact

Dear Sherin,
Thank you very much for your feedback and we appreciate the points that you've raised, however we feel that we need to give further information regarding our activities and structure to give you some context.

You arrived during the Ramadan period where, based on consultation with our community partners, we adjust our program to accommodate the local people who are fasting. This was communicated to you prior to your arrival and as discussed at that time, our planning schedules do change over this period. It is important to be flexible, understanding and appreciative that our work is fully-dependent on the needs of the Jambiani community at that specific time, who were celebrating a very holy holiday.

During Ramadan, we do take part in more refurbishment and clean-up projects as requested by the community, but we do continue to run free informal English classes that are open to anyone in Zanzibar, as well as help with village needs as raised to us in the monthly local government meetings.

Our informal education classes in Jambiani are designed for people who cannot access formal education, to get them to a level where they can participate in standard educational options or obtain jobs in the tourism area, which forms the backbone of Zanzibar's economy. We also accept students who want to supplement their official education in our informal classes.

We do have a very set schedule for these classes because despite these classes being informal, we want them to be as sustainable and structured as possible for the students. We've worked with qualified teachers across our projects to design structures and curricula to ensure we cover the topics needed for future formal education or employment.

The programs are designed so that is easy to understand for both the student and the volunteer coming in to teach. This structure means that even though we have different volunteers coming through, there is a common learning experience for the student and a set curriculum for each class.

We can therefore help our volunteers prepare for class each week during the preparation sessions and ensure they cover all the topics they need to during their time in the class.
If we were to allow people to come in every few weeks and teach what they want in class, unfortunately we feel that this would not be sustainable and not in line with our and the community's aims.

Since our project started, the majority of students who finish our higher classes have gone on to secure further education in Stone Town, the Jambiani Tourism Institute, or secured client facing roles in the tourism industry.

That being said, we do continually work to improve our education programs, and truly do value your feedback. We have been working hard to build a new education centre and look forward to some incredible achievements in 2017.

We have also made a number of changes on our Zanzibar project site to improve our program and invite you to take a read through the material available on our website that addresses important topics such as ‘Where Your Money Goes’ and our Responsible Volunteering Policy.

Thank you again for your feedback Sherin, we do want to ensure that while we not only serve the communities in need, we also ensure our volunteers have a positive experience and have certainly taken your feedback on-board.

The African Impact Team

Lindsey
Prince Edward Island, Canada
University of Prince Edward Island

Lion and Teaching Combo Project

Antelope Park is an amazing place full of amazing people. I was on the Lion and Education combo project so I got the best of both worlds. I spent the weekdays in the community at various locations such as schools and drop in center for the street kids and weekends with the lions. After straightening some things out at the drop in center I really enjoyed my time with all of the kids at all of the projects. I do not have anything negative to say about any of the projects other then communication between Antelope Park staff and the projects can sometimes be lost and could be improved on a bit. My experience involving the lions was always fun and an incredible time. They are such amazing animals! Hard to believe you can be that close and personal with such large creatures. Overall, I had an absolutely amazing time and my 4 weeks went by way too fast. I would highly recommend this program to everyone and I will be back!

Communication could be improved between Antelope Park and projects such as the drop in for what they need.

Zoe
Carlisle - England

A None Stop Buzz On Happiness

From the moment i arrived i felt welcome in the community. After introductions i was shown a presentation that outlined the things African Impact had already achieved and their future aims. Its safe to say after this presentation i was absolutely BUZZING to get to project.

First stop was teaching the Masai to read and write in Swahili you will never meet a more friendly group of people. Their main concern is making sure your welcome and they are so eager to learn its brilliant to see and to be apart of.

Second Stop was teaching the young children shapes and colours. Lots of singing, dancing and smiley faces, an excellent way to finish the morning.

After lunch it was off to the Wazee or now i would say off to visit my 15 adopted grand parents. They truly were the highlight of my volunteering experience. Hearing how the Wazee was before African Impact arrived and how the wazee is now this really does show how much of a positive impact the project is having on the local community.

On a Friday i attended a woman's group and if your interested in learning about the African culture in depth and learning about what their opinion is on what can sometimes be difficult subjects this is an excellent way to learn. I learnt many things about the African Culture during the group discussions that i never would have learned without attending this project. Its an excellent opportunity to ask questions relating to the subject being discussed and expand your knowledge base.

The house has an excellent atmosphere. The event nights are always good fun and a great way to get to know who you living with. The staff cook excellent food and your constantly looked after. Gill, Aoife & Alex make sure your welcome and are always there to give a helping hand if needed.

I cant recommend this volunteering experience enough. It's the best thing i've ever done and i'm so delighted i've been able to help out. I helped for 2 weeks but even in that 2 weeks i saw what a difference i made its such a rewarding experience. So if your worried your not going to make much of a difference in 2 weeks honestly you'll be amazed at how much of a difference you can make i certainly was.

Nellie
Stockholm, Sweden

Amazing experience!

During my 4w stay in Msaranga, Moshi, I got to be part of a variaty of projects and other activities! I worked in the elderly home, with the cutest children & with fun Maasai friends all together with helpful staff! Amazing all in all!

Weekends were never boring as there were many excursions to choose from like going on safari, walking up the hillside of mount Kilimanjaro, visiting a coffeeplant village, learning about the Chagga culture, etc. I filled my weekend with all above and enjoyed every minute of it!

I didn't know what to expect as working as a volunteer was totally new to me, but all in all I it surpassed all of what I could've expected. When I got back home to Sweden, where it was snow and cold weather, I still felt warm inside. I talked to and still talk to as many as possible about my experience. Anybody can do this! Single, in a family with kids, young or old. Just do it!

In future I believe the projects could benefit more if African impact had more interaction with the coming volunteed before the project started. If the volunteer has any good qualities to utilize that can be incorperated in the education.

Julka
Haarlem, The Netherlands

ABC...

From the second of Februari till the second of March, I was volunteering with African Impact. It has been an incredible experience. Not only because of the cute kids, banana trees, warm sun and amazing view, but mostly because you're really making an impact in this community. When I was searching in Holland for volunteering programms, I absolutely did not wanted to join an organisation which was set up only to make profit. African Impact is nothing like that and I would definately recommend this volunteering organisation. You may be in Moshi for just 4 weeks, like me, but those 4 weeks are part of a 20 week curriculum. Within those 20 weeks, all the topics and grammar will be covered. This is what I wanted to do, taking part in a program with a clear structrue and a heart for the community. Not just learning the kids the alphabet over and over again. From the beginning of the day till the end, you'll be busy with the projects. It is hard work and the different projects take a lot of preparation time, but in the end I felt so much more satisfied with what I achieved. This is what I signed up for and African Impact completly lived up to my expectations. The staff is really helpfull and I felt safe all the time while staying with African Impact. Also I got experiences and connections with people whom I wouldnt be able to connect so closely, if I arrived in Tanzania as just a plain tourist. Believe me, you won't regret your decision!

I would love to see a better Kiswahili-English dictionary in the volunteer house. This helps so much during the lesson preparations and connecting with the community itself.

Thomas
York, Maine

A Great Adventure - Teaching English in Moshi, Tanzania

Let me first say to you, dear reader, that yes you should absolutely travel. Traveling opens your mind and informs your perspective in ways you would never expect. That's why I went to Moshi: to challenge myself, to immerse myself in a world unlike my own, and to learn, learn, learn about a place and a people that sparked my imagination. What I did not expect of my trip, however, and what I would like to express in my review, was the irrevocable bond I formed with this place, the inspired sense of community that my organization, African Impact, is cultivating there, and the beautiful beating heart of Moshi, its people.

I arrived in Tanzania around mid-March, the rainy season, just a year out of high school and gleefully nervous for what awaited me. There were only a few other volunteers at the house, and I was given responsibility and classes of my very own within the first week! (This initially frightened me, but I would soon realize how very lucky I was for it; I had an incredible amount of voice in the work that I was doing, which would make it all the more rewarding by month's end)

My day to day schedule went something like this. First thing in the morning, I'd head over to a Maasai literacy class (only after a delicious breakfast of Mendazi of course) where I instructed members of the indigenous Maasai tribe in basic Swahili phonics, reading and writing comprehension, and some useful English. These men were absolutely amazing, truly strove to learn, and will inspire me in the pursuit of my own education for the rest of my life. I taught that one myself with plenty, plenty, plenty of helpful support and guidance from my fellow volunteers and project manager. Around half past ten, I'd shoot over to nursery class, where around twenty five seven year olds were waiting for me with smiles and song every day. Here we worked on basic English vocabulary, accompanied by plenty of fun songs and learning games. I'd also see the children about the school outside of class, and I can't describe the feeling of having your name called out everywhere you go, the dances that you taught them performed right then and there, and the knowledge that even if only briefly, you occupy a space in their young minds as a respected teacher. As a student all my life, this was an especially enlightening bit of the my experience in Moshi.

Outside of those daily activities I spent plenty of time at the Wazee (an elderly community in Moshi) where we'd hear raucous and adventurous tales from the men and women who live there (and who were equally excited to hear our own stories as to tell theirs), the BCC, a center for children with disabilities, and various other project sites. Once you finished your preparatory work for the next week, weekends were yours. In my short time in Moshi, I was blessed to be able to go on a breathtaking and life altering Safari in the Serengeti, climb to the first base camp of Mount Kilimanjaro, and explore the vibrant city and gorgeous landscape of this wonderful place.

I cannot say enough about the imprint and progress African Impact has made with their work in this particular community. There are a lot of ways to do this kind of work wrong, that one can definitely feel when they enter a community such as Moshi, where people flock to help but may actually contribute to the problem more than aid in finding a sustainable solution. African Impact is in it for the long run, and has the devoted staff and hard earned experienced to do it right. I fully recommend this project to anyone interested in this kind of work and promise you that whoever you are, if you give yourself to Moshi, Moshi will give itself right back to you. There is nowhere a more beautiful gift.

The only thing I wished for while I was in Moshi was more variety in the work I was doing, perhaps a different community activity at the end of each week or something. It is not that the projects I did take part in got old, it is only that in my short time there, I was trying to absorb and learn as much as I could about not just Moshi, but the whole country of Tanzania. An impossible task indeed, but you can at least move towards a better understanding if you keep challenging yourself to fresh work.

sm10lb
Niagara Falls, Canada

Amazing Experience!

African Impact - Cape Town Pre-school teaching was an amazing opportunity to get a deeper look of the culture and livelihoods of many children. Interacting with children in the townships was unforgettable! Day to day consisted of waking up for breakfast, heading to your school in the mornings to work with the children. Helping with school work and playing with the children was how I spent my morning. The kids are so full of energy and had such a easy time putting a smile on my face! They needed lots of attention and hugs! Back to the house for lunch and then off to another program in the afternoon. HOKISA was a highlight for me. The family atmosphere at HOKISA is quite remarkable. The kids and staff are AMAZING and I loved each afternoon there. The Cape Town project also gives you the opportunity to see the beauty of the city! The views from Table Mountain are unlike any other. The city from above is so beautiful! The waterfront is full of shops and cafes and is a great way to spend any afternoon! Overall, it an unforgettable experience. You don't realize how much you can learn from a 6 year old, and how much they can change your life. I would recommend this experience to anyone and everyone! Don't miss out!

Having food on the weekends available to the volunteers to make would be the only critical feedback. It would just alleviate some the cost of food on weekends when at the volunteer house

Ben
Bristol, UK

Life Changing Trip!

I headed out to South Africa as a Cape Town Teaching volunteer. It really was amazing. Seeing Cape Town on the first day of the trip, I knew I was in the right place. The sun, the sea, the communities and projects, the backdrop... just a truly outrageous first day. Got me so excited for the trip. The first thing I learnt to do was to just ditch your expectations. Try new things, roll with the punches, and get ready to be changed and have an amazing time. I made friend with people of all ages from all over the world, and even though at first you might feel like it's not your normal setting, you'll soon get used to it. I ended up staying for 3 months - all the people I met there that booked for 2,3 or 4 weeks were gutted they didn't book for longer. You get looked after so well at the house too - laundry, meals, accommodation, all top-notch. Met some amazing people and loved working at the schools and community projects. Booking the trip was maybe the best decision I've ever made. DO. IT.

Kirsty
Beccles, Suffolk
Robert Gordon University

Absolutely incredible!

I went to Livingstone, Zambia just over a year ago on the teaching project, and I still regard it as one of the most memorable and life changing experiences that I have encountered. There was a great sense of community amongst the staff and volunteers, which added to the brilliance of the trip. It was thoroughly enjoyable and I'd love to go back again once I've saved up my money!!

Haba
Athens, Greece

Amazing Experience

The experience with African Impact was unique in every sense. The volunteers were involved in different types of projects from medical, to farming and teaching to helping entertain the elderly. It gives you so much on the inside its hard to describe. Africa (and Zambia in particular) as a continent is amazing to visit, and when you combine it with voluntary work its a real catch. Volunteers become friends and you create memories to carry for a lifetime. I would recommend it to everyone wishing to do something out of the ordinary.

Im doing it again in April.

African Impact is a multi-award winning volunteer travel organisation which runs and manages meaningful and responsible volunteer experiences and internship programs throughout Africa. The organisation was founded in 2004 in Zimbabwe, and since then has grown into the Africa leaders in volunteer tourism, having facilitated