This program is no longer offered. View more programs from All Hands Volunteers.
All Hands Volunteers Programs Alumni

All Hands Volunteers Programs Alumni

Following a natural disaster there is often an outpouring of concern for those affected and a great deal of motivation to help people on the road to recovery. All Hands harnesses that energy to bring positive change to a disaster affected community using volunteer labor. These are reviews from participants in successful All Hands programs that completed their goals and are now closed.

Programs alumni participated in include the following:

• Project Pagatpat: is the next phase of our response to Typhoon Sendong and we'll be building a further 88 permanent, dignified homes for displaced families. More than fifteen months since devastating flash floods swept through this disaster-prone city, thousands of residents are still living in increasingly uncomfortable temporary homes, or depending on friends and family for living space. As time goes by, the temptation to move back to the flood zone increases. Whether it is digging foundations, laying blocks or painting walls, we're counting on volunteers as a vital addition to our construction crew. No special skills or previous experience. This project is now closed.
  • Project Bohol: All Hands Project Bohol opened its doors just two weeks after the devastating 7.2 magnitude earthquake struck the Visayas region of the Philippines. We will host to up to 45 volunteers per day from all over the world who want to participate in the relief efforts. Our initial focus will be removing rubble and debris from properties and demolishing unsafe structures. Using volunteer power we can do this with minimal damage to the building materials, giving them back to the family for rebuilding. This project is now closed.

Margaret
Denver, Colorado
Metropolitan State University of Denver

Nepal and South Carolina

To simplify my experience and adventure is to say, honestly, that All Hands Volunteers has changed my life.
I stayed for one month in Kathmandu after the April 25th, 2015 earthquake. The days were passed filling dirt into wheelbarrows and creating a space for families to rebuild their homes. I was constantly surrounded by the most unique and beautiful individuals taking time out of their lives and allowing themselves to become caked in layers of mud for a common goal.
When I came back to the US, I was asked to volunteer in South Carolina after a massive one thousand year flood event. Again I joined the base and stayed for another month.
Later, the recovery work began in South Carolina and again I was able to return and even work with the same homeowners as during response. I was amazed to watch the transformation in the houses we tore apart during response to the recovery phase of rebuilding.
A wonderful organization to be apart of!

This is still a relatively young organization with some kinks to work out but what I find inspiring is the effort they are always putting in to better meet the needs of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and the organization as a whole. Over time AHV will continue to improve.

Eilidh
Nepal
Johns Hopkins University

My time with All Hands Volunteers

I first volunteered with All Hands in 2014 in Bohol, Philippines. This was such an incredible experience that I volunteered again in Leyte in 2015 and am now currently in Project Nepal. Each experience with All Hands has surpassed the last, and it has been very reassuring to see that the organisation improves each year. As a volunteer I have felt looked after and able to discuss any matter with members of staff. Volunteer welfare is paramount, and health and safety protocols are impressed upon volunteers on a daily basis. One of the most admirable aspects of All Hands has been the organisation's relationship with the local communities; in identifying and addressing need and also ensuring ongoing communication with the beneficiaries. On each project local people have also either volunteered or worked along side international staff and volunteers, which ensures a cohesive environment rather than a them/us dynamic. Above all, the compassion, dedication and love shared among volunteers after a hard day's work is simply awe-inspiring and my time with All Hands has changed my life forever. I will continue to volunteer with All Hands in some capacity for the rest of my life! I can't express my gratitude enough for this truly incredible experience.

Emily
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

I love Program Louisiana!

Program Louisiana has been wonderful! The community we are staying in is very supportive and the homeowners are so appreciative of our help (we get all sorts of food and dessert made for us). It can be a dirty job at times, but the volunteers make working fun. The staff and the volunteers have great attitudes and work ethic.

Julie
Bogalusa, Louisiana

The power of volunteers

I have been volunteering with All Hands Volunteers for a year now and i can honestly say its one of the best organizations I've ever been with. You find your way to the program and they provide you with food, water, housing and the tools/training needed to be successful. Money is not asked just the determination to work hard. Its a great atmosphere to be in. The staff is very organized and work well with everyone. No prior skills are required.

Victoria
Exeter, Rhode Island
University of Rhode Island

Amazing Experience

Before heading down to Louisiana I had no idea what to expect, but once I arrived I realized the intense need for disaster relief there. I really loved the people that we were able to help, everyone had very moving stories. I enjoyed working with all of the amazing All Hands volunteers, they were all very knowledgeable and wanted to do all that they could in the area. Everyone is so invested in the program and want to do the best work possible.

This program could be improved in there were more volunteers that would be willing to help, it was hard to make the impact that is needed with a limited amount of volunteers.

Camille
Cleveland, Ohio

Life Changing!

I learned about All Hands thru a friend. It was unexpected and it was my first time to volunteer. I was able to help build homes and boats. You don't need to be an expert because I surely wasn't, but the experts taught me how to. The feeling of being able to meet the beneficiaries and hear their stories is amazing. I also had the opportunity to meet different kinds of people from all over the world. They were awesome! All Hands is the perfect organization if you're into the social scene and getting down and dirty when building things.

Jen
Minneapolis, Minnesota
University of Kansas

Amazing Experience!

What an amazing place with dedicated volunteers and staff. Everyone is here to give back to a deserving community and I have learned so much from this experience so far. I would recommend this experience to anyone!

SJ
Tacloban
University of Sussex

Amazing volunteering opportunity!

Volunteering with All Hands in Tacloban has been a life-changing experience. The fun work you do everyday building houses for those affected by typhoon Yolanda is made so much better by the amazing volunteers you are surrounded by. I would recommend this to everybody!

Martina
Tacloban

AmazingGreat just so wooow

Every day get to work in contact with awesome people, helping out a lot and seeing real changes, real goal achieved and Tacloban community so happy for the help they receive.
I have been here for a little more than i week and i have been engaged in carpentry, cement mixing, working on new foundations plans and involved in the community.

Diana
tacloban, leyte. Philippines

They make history!

I met my family a year ago.I had to leave. A month ago I had to return. Couldn't stop thinking about it. These are the days. We work hard during the day,we meet a family everyday to whom we are building a house.We cry with them when we handover the finished house. We build houses! How amazing is that?! I made friends for life,and Im still learning with my new friends.
We make history. All hands wrote my history.

I would have more 50 volunteers in here. We would build houses faster.

Lauren
UK
Southampton Solent University

Volunteer with All Hands for the best experience!!

Vonteering with All Hands was the most rewarding thing I have ever done. I learned an abundance of new skills and met the most incredible people. The organisation have a fantastic relationship with the community in Tacloban and I really felt welcomed and like I was having a significant positive impact on the lives of those affected by the typhoon.

Northing.

Briana
Los Angeles, CA
California Institute of the Arts

Most fun you can have with a shovel in the South Pacific

This project was one of the best times of 2012 for me. It's daunting to travel to another country, especially when you're taking the trip solo. The first impression I had of the Project was the people of the Philippines. While I was on my connecting flight from Manila to CDO I was seated next to the most wonderful woman who had move from CDO to the states who then offered her help in getting me to the Project House so that I didn't have to take a taxi. (The taxi drivers will try and give you a run for your money...you can fall for it a couple times, but eventually you'll get the hang of it) Once we landed she helped me get my bags and then loaded me into one of 2 vans of family members that had come to great her. Her 24 family members and then made our way down into the valley, and after a few wrong turns and slight panic that maybe I had the wrong address, we found the house. I hoped out of the van and her ENTIRE family got out with me took a picture with me and gave me a send off fit for a queen. If that doesn't say something about the kindness and generosity of the people then I don't know what does!
The house was great, I was met by Jess and Chris who were the project leads at the time and after some simple paperwork for my emergency contact and what not I was on my way. The house is simple, but it gives you everything you need. The wifi is great, I never had an issue with it unless there was an occasional black out from a thunderstorm.
The other Volunteers really made the experience for me. I met some of the best people ever during my time there, a good handful of whom I was able to see this past New Years Eve in New York City while they were all working on Hurricane Sandy Relief.
The work is self explanatory, you know what your getting yourself into and after the first few days of fatigue and jet lag you find yourself digging holes and laying foundations like a pro.
In terms of your surroundings you're in a great area, there is access to a local mall that has EVERYTHING you could possibly need.
This particular project really is the best of both worlds. The community it what really makes it worth it. The work is work, but the people make getting up everyday at the crack of dawn manageable.
And on the bright side, every couple weeks (depending on the number of volunteers in the house) you get a morning to sleep in a bit when you're assigned house cleaning, believe it or not I've never been so excited to clean just for that extra hour of sleep.
Just Do It!

I got there relatively early on in the project, about 4 months after it started so the efficiency of planning was still being figured out...but from what I've seen since I left they look like they've got it on lock now!

Jen
Bronx, NY

Forever dedicated

I wil forever be dedicated to the All Hands Organization. After Superstorm Sandy hit and saw all the destruction that happened my heart broke. I wanted to go out there and help. I wanted to get my hands dirty and help clean up. That's when I came across the All Hands Organization. The All Hands Organization is a grassroots organization dedicated to actually be "all hands" in and helping. The staff is so professional,caring and knowledgeable. They share the same passion as me with helping. When you go out to a job site you get assigned a team leader who is totally knowledgeable on what to do. I felt so comfortable the first time I went. Words can't describe the feeling I had once the day was over knowing that I just helped a family get one step closer to getting their life back in their home. On April 20th I will be going back to help for the third time bringing a small group of people with me. There's still so much to be done. I guarantee if you go once you'll want to keep coming back to help. It's such a rewarding experience.

I wouldn't change a thing! :)

Colleen
New Orleans, LA
University of California- Los Angeles

One of the best things I've done with my life.

I have volunteered with All Hands in many different countries throughout the years and I honestly feel my time spent volunteering was effective, fun and enriched my life in uncountable ways. I can only hope that I also had that affect on others as well.

All Hand Volunteers is a US based, 501 c3 non-profit organization that addresses the immediate and long-term needs of communities impacted by natural disasters by engaging and leveraging volunteers, partner organizations, and local communities.

We aim to demonstrate the power and value of volunteerism through