All Hands Volunteers Programs Alumni

This program is no longer offered. View more programs from All Hands and Hearts - Smart Response.

Mold growth in South Carolina.
Volunteer lunch break outside of Kathmandu.
Celebrating the rubble pile being removed!

Following a natural disaster there is often an outpouring of concern for those affected and a great deal of motivation to help people on the road to recovery. All Hands harnesses that energy to bring positive change to a disaster affected community using volunteer labor. These are reviews from participants in successful All Hands programs that completed their goals and are now closed.

Programs alumni participated in include the following:

• Project Pagatpat: is the next phase of our response to Typhoon Sendong and we'll be building a further 88 permanent, dignified homes for displaced families. More than fifteen months since devastating flash floods swept through this disaster-prone city, thousands of residents are still living in increasingly uncomfortable temporary homes, or depending on friends and family for living space. As time goes by, the temptation to move back to the flood zone increases. Whether it is digging foundations, laying blocks or painting walls, we're counting on volunteers as a vital addition to our construction crew. No special skills or previous experience. This project is now closed.
  • Project Bohol: All Hands Project Bohol opened its doors just two weeks after the devastating 7.2 magnitude earthquake struck the Visayas region of the Philippines. We will host to up to 45 volunteers per day from all over the world who want to participate in the relief efforts. Our initial focus will be removing rubble and debris from properties and demolishing unsafe structures. Using volunteer power we can do this with minimal damage to the building materials, giving them back to the family for rebuilding. This project is now closed.

Still Have Questions?

Our Volunteer Coordination Team is here to answer any questions that you have! You'll find our contact information below. We look forward to hearing from you!

Margaret

Nepal and South Carolina

To simplify my experience and adventure is to say, honestly, that All Hands Volunteers has changed my life.
I stayed for one month in Kathmandu after the April 25th, 2015 earthquake. The days were passed filling dirt into wheelbarrows and creating a space for families to rebuild their homes. I was constantly surrounded by the most unique and beautiful individuals taking time out of their lives and allowing themselves to become caked in layers of mud for a common goal.
When I came back to the US, I was asked to volunteer in South Carolina after a massive one thousand year flood event. Again I joined the base and stayed for another month.
Later, the recovery work began in South Carolina and again I was able to return and even work with the same homeowners as during response. I was amazed to watch the transformation in the houses we tore apart during response to the recovery phase of rebuilding.
A wonderful organization to be apart of!

This is still a relatively young organization with some kinks to work out but what I find inspiring is the effort they are always putting in to better meet the needs of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and the organization as a whole. Over time AHV will continue to improve.
Eilidh

My time with All Hands Volunteers

I first volunteered with All Hands in 2014 in Bohol, Philippines. This was such an incredible experience that I volunteered again in Leyte in 2015 and am now currently in Project Nepal. Each experience with All Hands has surpassed the last, and it has been very reassuring to see that the organisation improves each year. As a volunteer I have felt looked after and able to discuss any matter with members of staff. Volunteer welfare is paramount, and health and safety protocols are impressed upon volunteers on a daily basis. One of the most admirable aspects of All Hands has been the organisation's relationship with the local communities; in identifying and addressing need and also ensuring ongoing communication with the beneficiaries. On each project local people have also either volunteered or worked along side international staff and volunteers, which ensures a cohesive environment rather than a them/us dynamic. Above all, the compassion, dedication and love shared among volunteers after a hard day's work is simply awe-inspiring and my time with All Hands has changed my life forever. I will continue to volunteer with All Hands in some capacity for the rest of my life! I can't express my gratitude enough for this truly incredible experience.

Emily

I love Program Louisiana!

Program Louisiana has been wonderful! The community we are staying in is very supportive and the homeowners are so appreciative of our help (we get all sorts of food and dessert made for us). It can be a dirty job at times, but the volunteers make working fun. The staff and the volunteers have great attitudes and work ethic.

Julie

The power of volunteers

I have been volunteering with All Hands Volunteers for a year now and i can honestly say its one of the best organizations I've ever been with. You find your way to the program and they provide you with food, water, housing and the tools/training needed to be successful. Money is not asked just the determination to work hard. Its a great atmosphere to be in. The staff is very organized and work well with everyone. No prior skills are required.

Victoria

Amazing Experience

Before heading down to Louisiana I had no idea what to expect, but once I arrived I realized the intense need for disaster relief there. I really loved the people that we were able to help, everyone had very moving stories. I enjoyed working with all of the amazing All Hands volunteers, they were all very knowledgeable and wanted to do all that they could in the area. Everyone is so invested in the program and want to do the best work possible.

This program could be improved in there were more volunteers that would be willing to help, it was hard to make the impact that is needed with a limited amount of volunteers.
Camille

Life Changing!

I learned about All Hands thru a friend. It was unexpected and it was my first time to volunteer. I was able to help build homes and boats. You don't need to be an expert because I surely wasn't, but the experts taught me how to. The feeling of being able to meet the beneficiaries and hear their stories is amazing. I also had the opportunity to meet different kinds of people from all over the world. They were awesome! All Hands is the perfect organization if you're into the social scene and getting down and dirty when building things.

Jen

Amazing Experience!

What an amazing place with dedicated volunteers and staff. Everyone is here to give back to a deserving community and I have learned so much from this experience so far. I would recommend this experience to anyone!

SJ

Amazing volunteering opportunity!

Volunteering with All Hands in Tacloban has been a life-changing experience. The fun work you do everyday building houses for those affected by typhoon Yolanda is made so much better by the amazing volunteers you are surrounded by. I would recommend this to everybody!