This program is no longer offered. View more programs from Global Apprenticeship.
Global Apprenticeship Alumni Network

Global Apprenticeship Alumni Network

This listing is dedicated to the programs that are no longer in session for Global Apprenticeship, but regardless were very impactful on the participants involved. Specifically, a volunteer abroad program in Nepal and a Study Abroad in China program.

If you're an alumni of a Global Apprenticeship program no longer in session, feel free to leave a review below. Check out their website for an up-to-date list of all their current programming by clicking on "Visit Site".

Asia

Jasmin
Austin, Texas

A Well Rounded Experience

Being Indian, I didn't face many cultural problems. I was able to understand their rituals and customs. Even though I did not speak or understand Nepali, my Hindi was very helpful in getting me places. I had the opportunity to teach English at a government school and at a college. I also gained some medical experience by volunteering at a women's clinic. It was very difficult to teach English, but speaking Hindi and making lessons interactive helped me get the message across. I also found teaching English to the college students difficult as they were not receptive of assignments nor did they seem eager to come to class. But I made the most of this opportunity and taught to the best of my ability. At the women's clinic, I had the opportunity to give shots and work with the community medical practitioner.

I didn't seek a nightlife and I had another volunteer stayed the same time I did so I had some company. I went on vacation around Pokhara, Chitwan, and Kathmandu. Out of those ten days, I spent three days trekking in Pokhara. Overall this was a once in a lifetime experience and I would recommend it to everyone.

I wish there were more public health opportunities.

Linse
New York, NY
New York University

An unforgettable experience!

Learning Mandarin in Shanghai was one of the most rewarding experiences I've ever had. I did the joint internship and Mandarin program, which kept me busy with a schedule of 8 hour workdays (10am-6pm) followed by 7-9pm lessons two times per week. While this left me with little free time (expect to study hard to keep up!), I felt that I was truly making the most of my time in Shanghai.

I would have preferred to spend perhaps every other day doing full days of work or Chinese lessons. I felt that the internship did not leave me sufficient time to learn Mandarin.

My instructor, Chris, was amazing! Her friendly demeanor and positive personality made something that seems daunting a fun and enjoyable experience. She was always smiling and often had a funny story about Chinese history and culture to liven up lessons. I strongly recommend her.

I was not aware that some Chinese classes would be held on weekends, and I was not able to attend many of them due to conflicting travel plans.

Ahmad
San Francisco, California
San Francisco State University

Worth What You Are Paying For

I certainly enjoyed my stay here in Banepa, Nepal. The program did a great job in finding the school I will be teaching at (Chakra Jyoti) as well as finding me a host family (Uttam). Reviewing the other post, it is true, there is not much of a social life, so do not expect one. However, the entire purpose of this trip is to help those less fortunate in a third-world country, not to go out for drinks as if it were Europe. My host did a great job in finding further work for me out here... I was even able to guest lecture at a University while out here.

You learn a lot about the lifestyle changes in Nepal. It is polluted and rough, but that's the gritty experience that changes an individual for the better. The program did a great job in Skyping with me beforehand and answering any questions I had. This program is cheaper than most and I would highly, highly recommend it. The exchange rate out here is amazing and you can really get by on an impressively low budget. Just double-check the health risks out here, like lots of dust and dirt if you're allergic, the high elevation and the continual biting of mosquitos; other than that one should do great out here.

The students are amazing and willing to learn. You will immediately realize that you have an edge over the Nepali people, as they have a more lax lifestyle than Americans are used to, so you may find yourself an overachiever. Please consider applying to the Global Apprenticeship Program, I am already considering coming back next summer, because the impact you give here is very visible and motivational, but you realize that it is still not enough so coming back to continue the work you have put in is very rewarding.

I do wish I could meet other volunteers here; it can be lonesome being the only foreigner.

BK
Connecticut

An unforgettable summer

Looking back, I am glad to have had my month in Nepal. It's a country I would usually never have even thought of visiting; when you put yourself in such a country for a month, you get to know the real Nepal. I saw Nepal beyond its hyper-tourist Thamel section and beyond its UNESCO World Heritage sites (which were unbelievably gorgeous). I experienced the lives of Nepali people in more rural settings, how they thought, their esoteric customs. I left the country with a familiarity and sense of ease for Nepal that often only accompanies a comprehensive understanding of the place. It was a great cultural experience for me, and teaching children at a local elementary school was the cherry on top for further insight into the Nepali life.

On a typical weekday, I would wake up at 5:30AM (that never happens at home!), because Nepali people start their day very early and are in bed by around 10PM. Breakfast consisted of tea and biscuits. Afterwards I would get ready for school, and at around 9AM, a big lunch was served. Then I would catch the local bus to the school at which I was volunteering, using my (very, very) limited Nepali and much body language to arrive at the correct town. I spent about 4 hours everyday at school teaching children English words, phrases, and nursery rhymes/songs. I was in three different classes, from 4th to 6th grade. After school, I took the local bus back to my host's town (Banepa). Then I would just walk around town, explore the area and really get to know the in and outs of the place. Dinner was usually pretty late around 9PM, I would journal for a bit, then go to sleep.

My host family was very accommodating and flexible with my needs and wants. My host father took me on his motorbike for an hour-long trip into the capital, Kathmandu, for sightseeing. My host mother's cooking was very authentic and I enjoyed it quite a lot.

On the negative side, when I signed up for this program, I expected to be grouped with a few others my age, or even anyone participating in the same program. The logistics of the program were a bit vague, and I found out upon arrival that I was the only one staying in the area for this program. In a completely foreign country where I do not speak the language, being alone was quite difficult and sometimes lonely. Not sure about Kathmandu, but in Banepa, there really is no "nightlife" as in the US, since the absolutely-dark streets are emptied out by around 9PM. Although I enjoyed my experience with the children (they were absolutely adorable, motivated, excited to learn), I'm not sure if the program was worth the money. That's another thing. When the website said "There is only a registration fee. There are no program fees, which means food and housing are offered at no cost," I thought I would only have to pay the $50 registration fee, but later I was asked to submit a $600 deposit. I was confused--wasn't this basically the program fee? I had signed up for the program because it advertised free participation as it was for volunteering and social justice; I am still not sure what the $600 was used for.

Although this payment I incurred remained a mystery, the volunteer experience and cultural learning I had in Nepal was worth the stay, and someday I hope to return, to visit places like Pokhara which I didn't have time to go to the first time around.

More transparency and communication.

There were many uncertainties and vagueness leading up to the trip. I really wasn't sure what to expect, and many aspects of my stay were completely different from what I had come to expect based on the website.

D-dragon
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Harvard University

An experience of a lifetime

Learning Mandarin was one of the most challenging, yet rewarding experiences that I had. It made me completely rethink how a language worked from how you pronounce words to how you wrote them. Chris was a really personable and fun teacher who connected really well with me. The book we used set up a good frame off of which I was able to learn vocabulary and structure of the language.

Chris, my Chinese teacher took me around the city, and we tried to read everything we had learned such as signs for hotels, and license plates to practice the numbers. She took me on field trips to the mall, library, and offices. It was really cool to see all of the cultural differences found in these respective buildings.

I chose to learn Mandarin because in America, China is always in the media and I wanted to see first hand what all of the buzz was all about. My experience was absolutely amazing because not only did I understand what the buzz was about, but I also met so many great people, and made memories to last a lifetime.

Ika
San Francisco
San Francisco State University

Mandarin as my Third Language!

I'm U.S. citizen foreign born. I was born and raised in Indonesia. My first language is Indonesia and English is my second language. I'm currently looking for my third language. Mandarin seems one of the most challenging of all! Chinese is a tonal language that I'm so afraid to open my mouth and start talking. GA offers one-on-one Chinese lesson while doing internship. It is really help me to start my Mandarin. The teacher was very helpful. Although I signed up for two times a week, I learned a lot. I even could take my teacher for shopping/sightseeing with me and talked to local. I never thought I would consider Chinese (Mandarin) as my third language. I have finished my intern and continuing learning Mandarin in my own terms.

Since GA is for internship programs, I think one-on-one lessons should program in a such a way that the intern could hold conversations. Prounouncations and learn how to write should be part of it.

Jahernan
San Francisco

Learning Mandarin in Shanghai

I chose to learn Mandarin because that was the main language spoken in Shanghai. I always like Chinese characters too because each character has a story of its own. Learning Mandarin is very difficult because there are a myriad of Chinese characters when it comes to writing, and correct pronunciation is very hard to achieve when speaking. Nonetheless, Langley was a great teacher and instead of giving me words I wouldn't use, she taught me words and phrases that I could use everyday in the [internship].

Langley is an awesome person. She was always very patient and she was always willing to help me. When I struggled pronouncing words, she would just repeat it over until I was able to do it properly. Langley was outstanding because she was always willing to show me around the city. She took me to the Bund and Yu Yuan Garden among other places, and she always pointed out interesting facts about Chinese culture. Overall, I always had a good time with her.

Global Apprenticeship customizes your abroad experience from the exact dates of your program to the skill-set you want to develop to the specific sector you want to thrive in.

We proud ourselves in affordability, tailored client care and flexibility.

We are also the only company