Affordable Summer Volunteer Programs with IVHQ

Affordable Summer Volunteer Programs with IVHQ

International Volunteer HQ offers meaningful and impactful alternative summer break volunteer programs across over 30 destinations around the globe! IVHQ’s volunteer summer programs allow you to spend your break emerging yourself in a life changing experience while you contribute your skills and interests to local communities abroad.

Deciding where to spend your summer break can be difficult, so we’ve listed 4 recommended summer volunteer programs currently available to IVHQ volunteers. You can find the rest of the options on IVHQ's website (click on "Visit Site" above).

• Fiji: This archipelago boasts some of the best beaches in the world, balmy water, top surf breaks. Couple this with a choice of four meaningful volunteer projects, and you’ve got the perfect destination for your summer break!
  • Bali: IVHQ volunteers in Bali have 3 unique summer project locations to choose from including Ubud, on the island of Nusa Penida for the Turtle Conservation Project and also in Lovina. A special 1 week volunteer program is also available for those short on time or wanting a meaningful volunteer experience at the start of end of their summer break.
  • South Africa: One of IVHQ’s most popular programs during summer, volunteers immerse themselves in the community and provide valuable assistance in community schools around Cape Town on the Teaching, Sports Development and Computer Training projects.
  • Costa Rica: The wide array of volunteer projects makes IVHQ’s Costa Rica program a great option during summer, as volunteers can opt to sign up for Teaching, Childcare, Construction and Renovation, Eco-Agriculture Conservation or Turtle Conservation projects, while medical and nursing students/professionals have the opportunity to join the Healthcare project in San Jose.
Oceania » Fiji

Bianca
Saint Lazare

Giving Back

The summer I volunteered will forever be one that I will keep close to heart. Deciding to open myself to adventure and to the world, I signed myself up with IVHQ to volunteer in Tanzania, Africa for three weeks. For six months, I was slowly counting down the days with hopeful anticipation to what awaited for me to experience across the globe. Once I had finally arrived and started to work in the orphanage, I felt so happy and blessed to be able to help and give back to the community. At my placement, I would play with the children aged between four to six and teach alongside the teacher with basic english and arithmetics. The children were so happy even though they had so little and consequently, they became my teachers. They had taught me a valuable life lesson : happiness is not found in the material world, but through your experiences with the world around you.

I feel like this program was excellent and hit all the checkmarks on my list.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Bianca, Thanks for sharing. “Happiness is not found in the material world, but through your experiences with the world around you” - what a beautiful lesson to learn! It has been our pleasure to have you as an IVHQ volunteer and we would love to welcome you again in the future.

Meadow
Holland, Pennsylvania

Ghana Trip

I went to Ghana for the first time when I was 19 years old. I had never traveled abroad by myself and never to a country as daunting as Ghana. Needless to say, I was terrified! It was during the hight of the Ebola outbreak (which never reached Ghana) and everyone in my family thought I was crazy. Spending 2 months in Africa, with no one I know. I thought I was crazy too. But I took that first step and applied. Now I have been back for another 2 month trip and am planning my 3rd trip back to Ghana this coming summer. Within a week, I fell in love with the kids and the country. I have never been the same and know that I will never forget all that I did and saw when I traveled through IVHQ Ghana.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Meadow, Thank you for deciding to travel to Ghana when others decided to cancel. We applaud your bravery and find it heart-warming that you are planning your third trip back. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Hester
Amsterdam

My wonderful summer in Argentina

IVHQ linked me to an elderly home in Villa Allende, a village in Argentina. Four weeks of my summer vacation I spend working with elderly. At the end of the project I felt that real friendships were made. This project made me realize how important and fulfilling it is to do community work, something I really appreciate about IVHQ. Next to the community project, IVHQ arranged a wonderful place to stay. The program managers and the people working at the volunteer house were so helpful and kind. Thereby, living together with all the volunteers was amazing and contributed to make my summer an unforgettable one!

The only comment I could possibly think of is that dinner lacks vegetables sometimes. This might sound a little picky, but I am very insisting on eating my vitamins as I am working out a lot. However, problem could be fixed by preparing vegetables for lunch.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Hester, We are stoked that you had an unforgettable summer in Argentina! Thanks for being and IVHQer and we would love to have you join another program in the future.

Meghan
Toronto, ON

IVHQ Sri Lanka - The Most Affordable Adventure

I decided to partake in IVHQ Sri Lanka's teaching program for 6 weeks as my first big adventure away from home and easily fell into new friendships, different experiences and a delightful taste of the culture all around the country. The program blew my expectations out of the water. The accommodations are brilliant, the food is delicious and the coordinators are very helpful and enjoyed helping to make the most out of my stay. Over the weeks, I taught English, worked at an orphanage for children with disabilities, and renovated several temples. My projects included accommodations in Hill Country, Kandy and Sigiriya, and the program allowed enough flexibility for me to try a different project every week. A applaud the company's loyalty to their volunteers and suggest that the coordinators organize themselves more through communication, as sometimes information was unnecessarily vague. All in all, I enjoyed my time I Sri Lanka thanks to IVHQ's affordable program. If it wasn't for the affordability, I wouldn't have been able to jump into the most exciting and impactful summer of my life.

This program could be improved by polishing the organization and communication between coordinators and allowing for a more detailed itinerary of what to expect before project begins.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Meghan, We are so glad that you had an exciting and unforgettable time on the program in Sri Lanka. It is our pleasure to help facilitate this for your and we will be sure to take your feedback on board. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and we hope to see you on another IVHQ program in the future!

IVHQ (International Volunteer HQ) provides safe, unique, meaningful and extremely affordable volunteer programs in 35+ countries around the world, with a constantly expanding base. Programs are available in Asia, Africa, Europe, Central America, South America and the Pacific, where IVHQ works alongside local NGOs to