Wildlife & Environmental Conservation Programs: Volunteering Solutions

Wildlife & Environmental Conservation Programs: Volunteering Solutions

One of our most chosen and highly recommended category of volunteer programs abroad, the wildlife and conservation projects offer great volunteer work opportunities for animal lovers. From working in animal rescue centers and elephant camps, to joining the local task team in conserving the vivid bio-diversity and ecosystem; volunteers have a lot to choose from.

Volunteers need to be more than 18 years for joining any of these programs and must have the enthusiasm to work hard on field. This is rewarding experience of working for the betterment of our ecosystem.

Volunteers can choose from the below destinations and projects to work for Wildlife and Bio conservation;

• Animal Rescue Center Program: Singapore, Vietnam – Ho Chi Minh City, Costa Rica – San Jose
  • Conservation Program: Australia – various states, Spain – Valencia
  • Elephant Volunteering Project: Sri Lanka – Colombo, Thailand – Chiang Mai and Surin, India – Delhi
  • Marine Conservation: Spain – Valencia

Quinn
Missoula, Montana
University of Montana- Missoula

Elephant Conservation Surin, Thailand

I spent a month of my 2015 summer in the elephant conservation village in Surin, Thailand. It was a experience like no other and I highly recommend it to anybody who is willing to work in the heat. Most of the work we did were in one way shape or form in benefit of the elephants, but there were also a lot of communal tasks that I volunteered for, so I can feel as much immersion as possible on my trip. I wanted to feel like a part of the villager. One story in particular that I was honored to be apart of was a ritual to wish all of the bad spirits out of the house for a new family that moved into the neighborhood. This was a spiritual experience like none I have ever experienced before. The ritual took place on the second floor of the house of the new owners and everybody who had a gift for the home owners and their family were invited to take part of the ritual on the second floor. A lady was kind enough to give me her gift to present to the home owners. Once on the second floor the first thing I noticed was a maybe a village monk sitting in the center of the room facing a pillar, on the other side of this pillar was the home owners and their family kneeling facing the monk. Everyone who had a welcoming gift laid them in the center of the room around the owners then went to the sit down so that we created a circle around the monk/priest and the home owners and their family. Once everybody has seated each person received a pile of leaves in which were used to throw at one another about half way through the ritual. Before the ceremony began the monk enclosed the circle with twine that each person held onto with their hands pointed towards the center of the circle. After that the ceremony began. It was about twenty minutes in time total, and about half way through the monk began to throw holy water around the room making sure to wet everyone in the room and reach every corner of the room. Once he began that we started to throw the leaves around the room and yelling in joy, we repeated this cycle about five times. Towards the end of the ceremony the monks wife passed around protection bracelets to everyone in the room in which we tied money to as a donation then created a line to tie to the new owners of the home. And that marked the end of the ceremony. Those who wished to stay, participated in a lunch in the same room with the home owners.

I would like to see better organization within the leaders of the project. At one point a didn't get a bus ticket back to Bangkok to catch my plane to Cambodia because of poor communication between the leaders of the program.

Emily
Salt Lake City, UT
Westminster College

Thailand and the elephants

I have loved the time I spent in Thailand! Those three weeks have changed my life. I feel so incredibly blessed to be a part of this program and to meet so many amazing people. We worked in an elephant camp, saw plenty of temples, went to countless markets, meet people from around Thailand, and worked with children who love to learn. I would definitely go through this program again just because of the staff. They were so supportive and knowledgeable about Thailand and we're always willing to do whatever it took to make us comfortable.

i would have loved if there had been a list of clothes that are recommended to be brought on the trip. It was surprising to us all that we had to wear short sleeves shirts and pants almost the whole trip because it is so warm I did not assume that would be the case. I recommended clothing list and some good things to be packed would be wonderful. Also, clarifying some of the scheduling events and making sure they line up with what happens during the trip. Otherwise, it was awesome!

Anna
Jackson, MS

Elephant Camp-Chiang Mai, Thailand

I cannot say enough good things about my experience. It was easy from start to finish - I always had a contact person ready and willing to help me with any questions or concerns that I had.
Waking up everyday to ride my elephant to the river bareback to bathe him was more than incredible. There is no cooler way to start your day! After the bathe, we would eat breakfast, then head out to do our chores, such as making/packing vitamins for the elephants, help out with the Elephant shows, help the ladies in the kitchen, and plenty of other things! There is always something to help out with, but also plenty of laid-back down time. The atmosphere is so refreshing. I really bonded with my elephant, as well as the other volunteers. I honestly cannot think of a single thing that went wrong the entire two weeks I was there. On the weekends we traveled back to the volunteer house in the city and explored the entire time. It was amazing! There are hundreds of wonderful restaurants to eat at. The Thai food is incredible. I always felt safe and so welcomed by the native people. If I could do anything differently, I would have packed lighter! You don't need nearly as much as you think. Life is so simple and easy when you are there - not a day goes by that I don't miss it. You don't want to let this kind of experience pass you by. It is life-changing and unforgettable.

I honestly didn't have the first problem with anything. I have nothing negative to say!

Laura
Dublin

My time with Elephants!

Going to volunteer with the Elephants in Chiang Mai was one of the best decisions I made ever! We stayed in the elephant camp and my accommodation was on a tree house, the camp is about 40 minutes from the city and we used to go to the city every weekend. I spent time bathing, feeding and cleaning the elephants.

It was an awesome experience and I would highly recommend it!

Volunteering Solutions started its operations in 2007 and has sent over 12500 volunteers abroad, and now has projects in more than 30 destinations across Asia, Latin America and Africa. Volunteering Solutions is dedicated to providing authentic, reasonably priced and meaningful volunteer programs around the world,