Construction Projects with VFP

Volunteers for Peace offers a variety of building and construction projects all around the world. Sometimes construction is the main focus of the project, and other times it's just part of it, so be sure to let us know what you're looking for.

Some construction project themes are: renovating castles; trail maintenance like building retaining rock walls, stairs, and railings; constructing classrooms and school furniture; building bathrooms and compost toilets; agricultural construction like making trellises, garden beds, and garden tools; and many more!

Depending on project availability and the needs of our partners, not every country will have a construction project every year. Below is a list of countries that usually have construction projects available.

Hi Hank, this is what we found on the site: "Living conditions vary greatly from project to project but are generally comprised of a diverse group of 10-20 people from all over the world, living in a communal setting such as a school, church or community center with separate accommodation for male and female volunteers. Living arrangements are generally cooperative, with volunteers coordinating...
Pamela, Thanks for your interest in volunteering! Please visit our website at www.vfp.org Our search page at https://vfp.org/projects/ has search options by dates, age, length of project, the country where you want to go, or select the type of work you are interested in. After you enter your information, select “Search Projects”. Any projects that fit your description will then appear. If a...

Lila

I left my heart in Haiti

I traveled to Haiti (for the first time) with Volunteers for Peace (VFP) in 2014 over Thanksgiving and could not have asked more a more incredible experience. I was a part of a group of four people (2 Canadians and 2 Americans ranging in age from 28 to 50) who volunteered in a small, rural community in the mountains called Desab. VFP organized a video conference so we could all meet before the trip and coordinate our activities/programming that we'd like to offer during the trip. I really appreciated the opportunity to get to know everyone before we arrived in Haiti. Between the four of us we taught English, math, basic aerodynamics, drumming, and yoga. We also helped build a new classroom for the 6th graders. VFP empowered us to teach what we love and because of that we all had a high level of ownership in what we did.

Haiti is such a unique and incredible place. The people are overwhelmingly full of love and kindness. My experience was so amazing because of the wonderful Haitian volunteers involved in the project like Dimitry, Cherly, Fenel, Arthur, and Aben. While they helped quite a bit with translating, they were the real reason we were able to coalesce in the community so well. All of the locals knew, respected, and loved them and because they introduced us to community members and worked along side of us, the locals were very receptive and welcoming.

The friendships that I made from the trip and the things that I learned changed my life. I look forward to going back to Desab every year; to that little village that holds my heart.

MPM210

A Wonderful Experience

This program was amazing!! I like the program because it was started and managed by a Haitian that is from the local community. Also, everyone in Haiti was so welcoming and accommodating, and made every effort to maximize our experience. I gained a completely new perspective and was able to make some great friends, who I still keep in touch with months after the program. VFP was a good deal for the money that I spent and it was good to see the actual construction and vision of what the program will eventually create.

Michael

I would like there to be a little additional language training, as well as having a group leader who spoke the local language (creole) either fluently, or at least with some degree with understanding.

About Volunteers For Peace (VFP)

Volunteers For Peace (VFP) is a U.S. based non-profit organization that operates within the global networks of the Coordinating Committee for International Voluntary Service (CCIVS), Service Civil International (SCI) and the Alliance of European...