Travellers Worldwide Care for children with Cerebral Palsy in New Zealand

Join us in Auckland, New Zealand on our care for children with cerebral palsy volunteer projects. Cerebral Palsy is a number of neurological conditions that affect movement and coordination. You will work with a school that has around 63 children and offer them education and therapy. This is not a medical placement and there are no other requirements than a lot of enthusiasm and patience. You will be involved with the day to day routine of the school, mainly as a Teaching Aid , and there will be a lot of hands on work with the children. This is a very challenging and physical placement so you should be willing to work hard and bring the necessary empathy and patience with you.

Impact

Zoe

Wonderful time on the other side of the world.

For my project I volunteered as a teaching assistant in a school for children with cerebral palsy. I was positioned in a satellite class that was within a mainstream primary school.

I chose to take up the project as I had just finished university, wasn't sure what I wanted to do after and had always had an interest in working with special needs and within special education. As well as this, I wanted to travel and this project brought these two aspects together.

An average day at school involved running through the children's physiotherapy programmes, literacy and numeracy, other subjects such as sport, sorting out lunch and helping the children with things such as using their communication devices.

I learnt a lot about the care of the children, their capabilities and their needs, and how teaching is adapted to suit them. Being able to work with the various therapists was also a bonus.

Each day at school was so much fun and both the staff and the children were always laughing about something. On top of this, New Zealand was an absolutely beautiful place to live in and everywhere I travelled made me love the place even more.

About Travellers Worldwide

Travellers Worldwide is a Leading International Provider of Voluntary Placements & Work Experience Internships Overseas.

Established in 1994 and with a 20 year unparalleled record of safety, you can be confident that your placement will be the ideal...