Children's Volunteer Teacher in Peru

On the playground of the school
On the playground of the school

We are currently seeking English Volunteer Teachers to join our team in Arequipa, Peru. We offer a truly immersive overseas volunteering experience as part of a fun, supportive and passionate team. Apply now to join our April 2019 volunteer classes!

As a children’s English teacher, you will form the backbone of HOOP’s program by inspiring the young people of Flora Tristan and helping to create better opportunities for them. The teacher will teach one hour of English per day to one of our six classes from Monday to Friday. After the English class the teacher will supervise the children either with homework help, or as they play on the playground for one hour.

If this sounds like you, and you are willing to invest time and effort into the organization and the wider community by actively contributing to the delivery of HOOPs vision, then we encourage you to apply!

• Make friends
  • Learn Spanish
  • Develop your teaching practice

Marlene

My second home - Arequipa

For 2 and a half months I worked as an English teacher for HOOP. From the first moment on, I was welcomed to this incredible family and surrounded by motivated people connected with the same aim: helping to improve the lives of people living in the Flora Tristan Community. Apart from teaching English to kids, I took part in art and sport classes to encourage creativity and team building of the kids. Working with HOOP was definitely the most adventurous experience in my live. I learned a lot about myself during this time as well as about other cultures and traditions. HOOP was the perfect combination of volunteering abroad, getting in close contact to a new culture and travelling around to experience the incredible nature of South America. I would recommend volunteering at HOOP for all of those above mentioned reasons but most of all because of the love you get from your new family here in Arequipa.

It's hard to say because this organization was overall well-organized, provided subsequent training in advance as well as an welcoming atmosphere to work there. The communication was good, but sometimes a bit distributed on several social media platforms which could be more combined to one. They try to built a new school for HOOP which would be a great improvement because the actual building there the teaching takes place is rented and has limited amount of classrooms. Since many more families in Flora Tristan would like to join HOOP the capacity is too low for that.
Read my full story