GVI: Women's Empowerment Volunteering

GVI: Women's Empowerment Volunteering

We are proud to launch our new GVI Business Internships Abroad!
Business Internships Abroad are a great way to apply your business management and leadership skills and explore the world while experiencing new cultures and contributing to a sustainable cause and kickstarting your own career!

GVI’s Business Internships are the perfect opportunity to gain valuable, hands-on experience, especially if you are a student majoring in:
- business management,
- human resources,
- accountancy,
- marketing or
- international relations students

Business Interns can look forward to using their theoretical training skills to work in a local community with developing entrepreneurs, assisting them with developing their microenterprise businesses by:
- running hands-on, educational workshops on microenterprise business skills,
- conducting business training initiatives and
- mentoring and guiding small business owners

To apply or find out more about the value of the internships, follow the link below.

GVI has implemented a range of sustainable women's empowerment initiatives around the world, depending on the needs in each individual area. We offer Women's Empowerment projects all over the globe! Have a look at our different locations:

• Laos: Volunteers get involved in education initiatives in the forms of English, computer and life skills classes. Our aim is to promote gender equality, improve equal education, increase employment opportunities and break the cycle of poverty and inequality amongst women in developing countries such as Laos. Your contribution will help uplift these women and make a viable difference in their lives!
  • India: Women in India face the issue of gender inequality and young girls are often married off at a very early age, denied an education and become entirely dependent on their spouses for financial support. GVI's project aims to breach this inequality by empowering women to live more independently by educating them about health issues, career opportunities, and human rights.
  • Nepal: Communities in Nepal face critical global social issues and the majority of young girls are not receiving any education. GVI supports these women to give them equal opportunities and empower them to have brighter futures. The main spheres focused on are education, career building and health workshops.
  • South Africa: Young girls are expected to perform certain duties in and around their homes and there isn't a strong focus on career building. Our project is focused on teaching young girls valuable career skills, educating them about health issues and making them aware of their human rights.
Africa » South Africa
Asia » Nepal
Asia » Laos
Asia » India

Louisa
United Kingdom
University of Manchester

Women's Empowerment Cape Town

Going out to South Afirca was a fantastic experince. The women and girls from the township who we worked with were so inspiring and I hope my time there had a positive impact on they're lives. I am also lucky that I went out there with such a fantastic group. Its hard work, but the end result of actually helping these women is so worth it. I did things I never thought I would be capable of and having left now, I can't wait to go back.

I think we arrived at a time when lots of staff had left so there was some issues with being left on program with out a coordinator, the problem was rectified quickly, but making sure there are enough staff to cover when something goes wrong, would improve the program.

Geneviève
Ottawa

The greatest experience of my life (so far).

I volunteered in India for the Women's Empowerment Program offered by GVI, for a month, in 2016 and I absolutely LOVED IT! Travel wise, India is great. Yes, it is different, yes, it is a lot to take in, and I read (pre-departure) that in order to enjoy it, you have to have a certain "calling" for the country and I couldn't agree more. Having that pull towards India, I did not fear what was coming my way (and that's saying a lot since I was a first time *female* solo traveller). I acted confidently until I felt confident in my surroundings and I got to experience the true life of India, something others don't because they just aren't open to it (again, those are the people that visit India without feeling a certain need deep inside them to explore the country). As for the volunteering experience, it was amazing. The people you meet, both associated with GVI or with the partners, are incredible. I had so much fun throughout the journey. Sometimes, I would get tired and I wouldn't feel like going on site to "work" for a few hours but EVERY time I left, I felt so good, so happy. I can not stress this enough: taking part in a volunteering trip like this should make you feel good, proud... happy! I certainly was. When I say proud, I mean feel proud of myself AND feel proud of the progress you are helping to make as well. I really enjoyed how, with GVI, it wasn't a short term program, it was a long term project and I could see how others before me had already made a change and how I was continuing it to finally pass it on to others that would come after me. I am a strong believer in the saying: "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime". GVI has the same beliefs and that is why I was so glad to be part of something as great as their Women's Empowerment Program. I was making a difference by spreading awareness and by teaching men, women and children and if that is what you want to do. Go for it. It will truly change you. Finally, the GVI staff really knows how to get you to have the greatest time while abroad (I couldn't wait for quiz night every week *wink wink*).

Honestly I do not know. It was so well organized. My last week, there were some changes in the daily schedule that sort of over crowded it but I am sure this has been fixed since. It was nothing major, I believe it was just a period of rearranging planning and volunteering sessions.

Response from Global Vision International (GVI)

Hi Genevieve,

Thank you for your kind words about your time in India, we always love hearing stories from our Alumni!

Do you know that we run an Ambassador program which allows you to stay connected with GVI from home, and earn points towards a future program? If you'd like to find out more, you can email me on [email protected] and I'll be able to give you more details!

All the best,

Jon, Alumni Engagement Manager

GVI is an award-winning organisation that tackles critical local and global issues by operating education and training programs on sustainable development projects around the world.

Formed in 1997, we have been operating our award-winning programmes for over two decades and over 25,000 participants have volunteered