Travellers Worldwide Community Projects in South Africa

Travellers Worldwide Community Projects in South Africa

Join Travellers Worldwide on a community development project in South Africa. Projects includes counseling, childcare, work at a Red Cross hospital, rural development, street kids projects, women support, and skills development. Projects typically last two to four weeks, but volunteers can stay for up to a year.

Africa » South Africa » Knysna
Africa » South Africa » Cape Town
Africa » South Africa
Full support from the moment of booking and throughout your placement to your return home. There are support staff 24/7 in all our destinations worldwide and a 24 hour emergency international telephone line direct to the Head Office. All meals are provided, unless otherwise stated. Accommodation is provided (whether a rented house, a hotel/hostel, homestay, apartment or flat).

Dini
Ishpeming, Michigan
Turkish

The Most AMAZING adventure of a lifetime!

My experiences on the Multi Marine Conservation Project in Cape Town, Street Kids Project in Knysna, plus the 7-Day Safari Tour

I embarked on this journey in revolt to my recently turning 40. As a business owner, wife and mother of two teenage boys, a month long journey to Africa seemed like something far reaching and beyond my reality. My vacation experiences prior to this were always family oriented and/or resort style, including room service, umbrella drinks, amusement parks, cruise ships, and guided tours. I wanted to see and do as much as I could and experience as much of South Africa as possible but with family and work obligations, time was an issue.

My journey with Travellers Worldwide gave me the opportunity to see and do all of the things a vacationing tourist would do, while the volunteering gave me the chance to meet many local people, and get to know so more about the culture and the people of SA. I was able to see and do more than I ever imagined possible in one month.

From my very first inquiring email to Travellers, all my questions and concerns were answered with the efficiency and accuracy of a world-class travel agency. I was put in touch with people who worked on the projects I was interested in and other volunteers as well.

My accommodations and work experiences were exactly as described and better than I'd expected. The project managers went above and beyond to ensure the volunteers had everything needed and wanted. Many of my traveling companions were recent high school graduates and, as a mother, I couldn't have imagined sending my 18 year old son on a trip like this before seeing it for myself. Now without a doubt I will be planning a volunteer experience with Travellers for both of my sons after their graduations.

All in all this was the most wonderful, fulfilling, and incredible, month of my life! Before this journey, like many people my age, I was stuck in my regular every day rut of work and routine. But after a month of diving with Great White sharks, working with orphans and street kids, animal safaris, zip-lining through jungles, and sky-diving, I have returned fully invigorated and with a new lease on life! I made friends from all over the world that I’m sure I will stay in touch with for years to come. Travellers is an amazing organization that offers life changing experiences to people of all ages, I will highly recommend it to everyone, and I will be planning another volunteer experience for myself as well as for my sons. Thank you so so much for the experience of a life time!

Lindsay
Bloomington, Indiana

Teaching in Knysna Changed my Life

After a few years of teaching music in an inner city school I needed a change, so my husband and I decided to do travel with Travellers Worldwide and teach in Knysna. The people I worked with there, the support that we received, the beautiful country, and the memories that we made we priceless. Since then, I have used my experience and have been accepted into graduate school to focus on creating multi-cultural music curriculum. This program changed my career goals, my entire outlook, and ultimately my life. Even if teaching is not something you are considering as a career, the children are precious and they truly appreciate what they learn from you. You have so much to offer to the world, so go out and do it!

Chez9876
Nottingham, UK
Nottingham University

Fantastic experience

Once in a lifetime opportunity for me to experience education in a different culture, and to see how special needs are supported in South Africa. The staff were great, all spoke english and made me feel welcome. The kids were also really fun and used to newcomers. I got to go on several trips with the school, beaches, horses riding and even to a 2 night camp. I got the opportunity to superviser in the boarding school after school hours, which allowed me to get to know the children really well. I learnt a lot and will miss the school dearly.

The downside was it was a long journey to work in the morning about 45 mins and 2 taxi-buses. These don't seem that safe either, you are sat with 6 or 7 people crammed in with the doors wide open and sometimes you are on your own with 1 or 2 male drivers. Then i had a 15 min lone walk.

The social side was amazing. I lived at Nellys Lodge in Observatory and was staying with about 12 other travellers all my age and friendly. I am still friends with a few of them 3 years later :)

Travellers Worldwide is a Leading International Provider of Voluntary Placements & Work Experience Internships Overseas.

Established in 1994 and with a 20 year unparalleled record of safety, you can be confident that your placement will be the ideal environment to nurture your personal and professional