The boxing day Tsunami affected Kosgoda Sri Lanka tremendously. It wasn't just the turtle population but also the human population. Hundreds of metres of beach were lost and so were people's livelihoods. Fishing was compromised and even the local tourism industry saw a dramatic decline.
The main aim of the project is to monitor local sea turtle activity and conserve the local nesting sites. One of the most important activities of the project is its hatchery. Within the sanctuary of the project, collected and rescued eggs can hatch safely away from predators before being released into the sea. We help protect these turtles by buying their eggs at local markets- helping support the local economy and creating conservation as a way to feed families.
All your weekends are off - you can hire a local guide or even spend time relaxing on a local beach.
- Hands on work with 4+ different types of sea turtles!
- Release baby sea turtles on the beach during nesting/hatching season.
- Live in a hostel with other volunteers and turtle lovers.
- Meals and accomodation included!
- All weekends off so you can tour around this beautiful island country.