This program is no longer offered. View more programs from Kumbuka Children's Centre.
KCC - Orphanage, school and outreach program

KCC - Orphanage, school and outreach program

What started as 4 children being supported in the community has led to a 12 bed orphanage, 60 student school, an outreach program which helps nearly 40 children stay with their families and a street children centre which serves over 500 children per week.
We are always looking for enthusiastic, dedicated and hard-working volunteers to join our team! Volunteers help play with, educate, feed, change, and look after the children, and most importantly, give them attention, love and encouragement.
Tanzania is incredibly safe for volunteers and it is an amazing place to travel with Kilimanjaro, the Serengeti, and the beautiful beaches of Zanzibar all within its borders
Join us now for a wonderful insight into Tanzanian life.
Our Fees are very low, and all money goes directly to our projects which help the kids – we are all volunteers and nothing goes to administration.
Join us for your life changing trip where you will change children’s lives just as much as they will change yours!

Africa » Tanzania » Arusha
Africa » Tanzania
1 Year+
Guesthouse
Our fees are some of the lowest in Tanzania, much lower than any comparable organizations in the area because we are all volunteers, 100% of money goes to the children, nothing goes to administration.
There is a fee of $250/£150 which goes to Kumbuka Children’s Centre. Then you are responsible for $22/£15 per night for your housing (full board, laundry and all utilities including wifi included), plus a $100/week fundraising obligation. That money goes towards our projects and is usually raised through family and friends, rather than being paid directly by the volunteer!

Olivia
London
King's College London

May/June 2013

I visited Tanzania with Kumbuka in May/June 2013 with 3 friends.
The support given by Kumbuka both before arriving and during our stay was fantastic. All our questions were answered very quickly by email when organising the trip and we received a very comprehensive information pack. Before finalising plans we were even given the emails of some past volunteers who kindly answered some queries which we had.

On arriving in TZ we were picked up from the airport and driven to our accommodation. We were really pleased that the four of us could be accommodated together and the hostel was perfect for what we needed.

Kumbuka were very flexible and accommodating - we wanted to take part in a number of different volunteering programmes (orphanage, medical, outreach) and this was made possible!

During our stay in Arusha we were able to meet many of the children and families supported by Kumbuka as well as help with a food kitchen for the street children - this was an amazing experience and a definite highlight of the trip!

Kumbuka were also able to organise a fantastic 3 day Safari trip (Tarangire, Lake Manyara, Ngorongoro Crater) for us at the end of our trip.

I would highly recommend KCC to anyone looking for a fabulous trip to Tanzania! The work they are currently doing is incredible and they have great plans for the future!

Miles
Paris, France

Wanted to make a difference...I think I did

I did not work with the school but I worked many times with the outreach work. We held a soup kitchen for street children and I was able to give health care to children who is support with Kumbuka Children's Centre.

From the first email I sent I felt I was given priority.
I only deal with one person and she made me feel like I was going to have the good trip
She helped with everytihng, from the flights, picking me up, visa, showing me around.
I even went on safar which was arranged by KCC.

The work they do is very good and you can see that you are being helpful.
When you are cooking a large pot of rice for homeless children you can see that the money you are fundraising is going to good use.

I intend to join KCC for one year once I finish my exams

The only problems I had was with the accommodation, I told KCC that I had some problems with the house (there was too much noise from a church near) they had put me in and they moved me.
I think now they are using homestay and another hostel.

I also did not really know what to expect, I live quite a good life and I did not come prepared for the poor life which is Tanzania.

I think that there is more information in their volunteer guide now since so that people know that the power goes out and that things

We