Oyster Worldwide: Volunteer with elephants in Thailand

Oyster Worldwide: Volunteer with elephants in Thailand

Become part of an important mission to rescue, rehabilitate and care for abused and orphaned elephants in Thailand. Work hands-on with these rescued elephants, preparing their food, feeding them, bathing them and even walking with them through the rainforest. These elephants have all been misused by the tourist industry, and this is the first time that they can fully appreciate a life of freedom.

Alongside the elephant sanctuary is a rescue centre for up to 300 other animals, including monkeys, gibbons, macaques, otters, birds, bears and other animals. You can choose to work with these animals too if you wish.

Volunteers live in the heart of the sanctuary, going to sleep to the calls of the wild. You will be working 6 days per week, with one day off to relax and explore the stunning local area. You will be located about 3 hours south of Bangkok, close to the golden sand beaches of Hua Hin and Cha Am.

• Work closely with rescued elephants, helping to give them a life as close to the wild
  • Bathe the elephants before walking them through the rain forest, allowing them to roam and graze as they would in the wild
  • Explore the beaches and national parks located close to the sanctuary
  • Work with bears, orangutans, monkeys, gibbons, macaques and birds at the neighbouring wildlife sanctuary
  • Meet volunteers from around the world and make fast friends
Asia » Thailand » Hua Hin
Asia » Thailand
Price includes airport pick up, accommodation in the heart of the centre, three meals per day, all training and advice regarding the project and travelling Thailand.

Julir
Cheltenham United Kingdom

Sitting with a fishing cat

In the evening I would treat myself to a quiet walk through the forest before it went dark. Each time I was treated to the company of a fishing cat a few inches away on the other side of the fence licking its paws and having a general clean up after his fish supper. Pure magic
During my time with the elephants I enjoyed giving them a scrub using a broom to ensure they were clean behind the ears. They loved the fact I am tall as I was able to reach their back

Perhaps offer some education about animals and enrichment programs two evenings a week. So many skilled people volunteering we could have learned so much

Maxine
Quebec, Canada

Great time in Thailand!!

In the summer of 2013, I spent an entire month volunteering both with the wildlife and with the elephants. Everything was simply wonderful. From waking up to the shouts of gibbons to going to sleep to the sounds of geckos. We were completely submerged in this wonderland. Taking elephants on walks and showering them was one of my favorite part of this trip! Even thought I loved my time spent here, I wouldn't recommend this trip to everyone. Simply because not everyone is suited for the lifestyle we experience on this trip. For instance, the shower head in my bathroom had broken off, so I basically showered with a hose my whole time there. And you can forget about hot water, on a typical day when it's 40 degrees Celsius out that's not an issue. But after a cold and heavy rain fall when you are out feeding the monkeys in the forest, you can bet you'd wish you had some hot water. The social aspect of this trip was also amazing! When I was there, we were at the very least 35 volunteers from all over the world! And there was never a dull moment! From looking threw night markets, to hiking a national park on the look out for wild elephants, we were always entertained by one another! And our nights out to the bars were also nights to remember!

Oyster Worldwide is a respected gap year and responsible travel organisation. Since 2000, we have been sending volunteers and workers overseas on our exciting projects. Our friendly team is dedicated to providing a personal service, offering support through every step of your journey.

Our projects