Community Outreach Volunteering in Uganda

The Real Uganda supports a number of women's groups in Uganda. These groups are made up of widows and abandoned women - all with multiple children. While everyone works hard to improve their lives each day, they're limited by lack of formal education and the burden of raising their families on their own.

International volunteers ease these burdens by offering their free hands in communal gardens, new ideas on small business development, and current information regarding family health matters.

Volunteers join in on the day's work, lightening the load and creating a bond. Once the relationship is built, the women not only accept new information, but thank volunteers by teaching them local skills and cultural practices as well.

Past volunteers have learned to make their own beaded sandals, cook Ugandan meals, and shake their hips in traditional dance!

This program is part of our larger community outreach efforts. Volunteers also spend time in classrooms and clinics, as needed.

• You'll go beyond volunteering and really immerse yourself in Uganda culture
  • You'll learn about the joys and heart break of being a woman in Uganda
  • You'll create real relationships with motivated women, working every day to improve their lives
  • You'll learn new skills and approaches to life not common in western cultures
  • You'll spend weekends with other volunteers exploring Uganda: rain forest zip-lining, white water rafting the Nile, wildlife safari, and primate tracking

Impact

Through culture exchange and sharing of ideas, both women and volunteers support each other's personal growth. The women learn new information to help them make decisions for their families. They show their appreciation to volunteers by teaching them how to dance, cook, and make local handicrafts.

Volunteering with this program builds deep cultural understanding, promoting international peace and solidarity.

Arianna

The most intense experience of all!

I was in Uganda for only 1 week. I am in my early 30s and was a bit scared of going for such an experience. It is definitely something that can be easier when you are 20 but I didn't regret it for a moment.
Leslie and the Robert (Lugacraft, The Real Uganda partner) were there for anything we might need, we have felt always safe. Leslie is the best bridge you want to take between western life and Uganda: she shared all "basic info" on day 1 over a coffee and a delicious pineapple and it all came in super handy during our week of volunteering. She prepares you to take the experience the best way.
Besides the people from the organization, the ladies we have got to work with are the most beautiful people you can imagine. Smiles, dances, singing, delicious food .. a whole other world. A beautiful world. A world they are very happy to share with you.
If you have never experience the country (or east Africa in general) there are obviously challanges: bucket showers and pit latrine toilets to mention a couple. Sometimes is tougher than you expected, but then you jump on the boda-boda (motorbikes, common way of transportation) and travel 30 mins to reach a village, and you see all those colours and those smiles. It's then when you think "this is why I am here" adn nothing else matters.
The Real Uganda is definitely the most authentic way I could imagine to embrace this experience and I am very thankful for that.

Food you can't miss: matoke (plantain based dish) and rolex (some sort of rolled dough with different filling)

Despite having received plenty of information before the trip, I would have liked to know a bit more about the actual activities in the village. For example, my friend and I gave a couple of short classes (english and business) and we would have loved to have some material with us to share with the ladies for them to keep. We were thinking that we could have brought a couple of books or prepared some material for them to go through.
Doreen

You only regret the things you don't do

I've recently returned from almost two months volunteering on the Real Uganda programme. I found the experience to be completely stimulating and out of the ordinary. I loved taking a short break from work and being immersed in a completely new culture. You'll love seeing the colours, meeting people from all walks of life, playing with children, building relationships with people in the village communities and healthcare centres. I got so much out of this experience and I'd really recommend it. I travelled alone and yet, with the support of Leslie and her team of directors, I felt like I had a new group of friends. The food, culture, weather and cultural experience you have will stretch your brain like you never imagined .Go for it!

About The Real Uganda

Why volunteer with The Real Uganda?

• Immerse yourself in the beauty and complexity of Ugandan life.
• Build relationships with ordinary Ugandans working hard to improve our society.
• Learn what Uganda has to offer its people, and look for ways to...