Empower Women in Uganda

Volunteers building energy efficient stoves in Uganda
Volunteers building energy efficient stoves in Uganda
Joyful women in Uganda
Joyful women in Uganda

The Real Uganda supports a number of women's groups in Uganda. These groups are made up of widows and abandoned women - all with multiple children. While these ladies work hard to improve life each day, a lack of formal education and the burden of raising their families alome, is extremely limiting.

International volunteers ease their burden by offering free hands in communal gardens, new ideas on small business development, and current information regarding family health matters.

Volunteers join in on the day's work, lightening the load and creating a bond. Once the relationship is built, the women not only accept new information, but thank volunteers by teaching them local skills and cultural practices as well.

Past volunteers have learned to make their own beaded sandals, cook Ugandan meals, and shake their hips in traditional dance!

This program is part of our larger community outreach efforts. Volunteers may also spend time in classrooms and clinics, if desired.

• You'll go beyond volunteering and really immerse yourself in Uganda culture
  • You'll learn about the joys and heart break of being a woman in Uganda
  • You'll create real relationships with motivated women, working every day to improve their lives
  • You'll learn new skills and approaches to life not common in western cultures
  • You'll spend weekends with other volunteers exploring Uganda: rain forest zip-lining, white water rafting the Nile, wildlife safari, and primate tracking

Impact

Through culture exchange and sharing of ideas, both women and volunteers support each other's personal growth. The women learn new information to help them make decisions for their families. They show their appreciation to volunteers by teaching them how to dance, cook, and make local handicrafts.

Volunteering with this program builds deep cultural understanding, promoting international peace and solidarity.

Hannah

My only regret is not staying longer!

On arrival in Uganda I was very open minded and prepared for what anyone would assume to be an life altering experience. Leslie form the real Uganda had been in communication with me for some months, answered numerous questions along the way and had provided me with such detailed information prior to arriving. This really helped set the scene and although I didn't know what exactly to expect there were no surprises along the way. During my placement Leslie was so supportive and really went out of her way to help me get out of my comfort zone and think differently. Her support, knowledge and straight up enthusiasm for what she dose is what really uplifted the entire experience.

I volunteered for 2 weeks with the Balamu Outreach program located just outside of Mukono. I had the privileged to be housed locally with my host Moses. In the two weeks not one day was the same. Balamu offers a range of different programs which you contribute to, including but not limited to; working in a local AIDS clinic/Maternity ward, supporting the Balamu football academy for rural kids, involvement in the local communities building sustainable stoves/wells and working in the local school. I loved the fact that every single day was different and the variety of involvement you can have. Every person I had the privilege to work with was so welcoming, friendly and just a great human. Balamu is super focused on sustainability and long term outcomes. I learnt so much about collaborative leadership and just getting your hands dirty during my time with Moses. The biggest difference I found with the real Uganda is the cultural exchange element. Other programs do not immerse you into the "real" life of Uganda's like this one does. In two short weeks I learnt so much about Ugandan life, the real version and it challenged me in so many ways I wouldn't have predicted. My only regret is not staying longer, it took about a week and a half to start to build relationships and get a rhythm and by that time I was about to leave. If your thinking about doing it, take the leap and book with the real Uganda. You wont find anyone else more passionate and dedicated then Leslie and the program leaders she works with.

Absolutely nothing! the communication was brilliant, it was well organised and set up. The people were patient, curious and willing to teach me anything I wanted to know.
Arianna

The most intense experience of all!

I was in Uganda for only 1 week. I am in my early 30s and was a bit scared of going for such an experience. It is definitely something that can be easier when you are 20 but I didn't regret it for a moment.
Leslie and the Robert (Lugacraft, The Real Uganda partner) were there for anything we might need, we have felt always safe. Leslie is the best bridge you want to take between western life and Uganda: she shared all "basic info" on day 1 over a coffee and a delicious pineapple and it all came in super handy during our week of volunteering. She prepares you to take the experience the best way.
Besides the people from the organization, the ladies we have got to work with are the most beautiful people you can imagine. Smiles, dances, singing, delicious food .. a whole other world. A beautiful world. A world they are very happy to share with you.
If you have never experience the country (or east Africa in general) there are obviously challanges: bucket showers and pit latrine toilets to mention a couple. Sometimes is tougher than you expected, but then you jump on the boda-boda (motorbikes, common way of transportation) and travel 30 mins to reach a village, and you see all those colours and those smiles. It's then when you think "this is why I am here" adn nothing else matters.
The Real Uganda is definitely the most authentic way I could imagine to embrace this experience and I am very thankful for that.

Food you can't miss: matoke (plantain based dish) and rolex (some sort of rolled dough with different filling)

Despite having received plenty of information before the trip, I would have liked to know a bit more about the actual activities in the village. For example, my friend and I gave a couple of short classes (english and business) and we would have loved to have some material with us to share with the ladies for them to keep. We were thinking that we could have brought a couple of books or prepared some material for them to go through.
Doreen

You only regret the things you don't do

I've recently returned from almost two months volunteering on the Real Uganda programme. I found the experience to be completely stimulating and out of the ordinary. I loved taking a short break from work and being immersed in a completely new culture. You'll love seeing the colours, meeting people from all walks of life, playing with children, building relationships with people in the village communities and healthcare centres. I got so much out of this experience and I'd really recommend it. I travelled alone and yet, with the support of Leslie and her team of directors, I felt like I had a new group of friends. The food, culture, weather and cultural experience you have will stretch your brain like you never imagined .Go for it!