GoCamp Volunteer in Ukraine: Teach English, German or French

kids holding hands
kids holding hands
group holding their hands out
group holding their hands out

Volunteer in Ukraine — explore the trendiest destination in Europe!

GoCamp invites you to share your English, German or French language skills as well as your culture with Ukrainian kids in summer camps. The programme is approved by EVS (The European Voluntary Service) and is supported by UN Volunteers, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Ministry of Education, British Council, French Institute in Ukraine, Goethe Institut, Embassies, leading media etc.

GoCamp is a new format of school-based summer camps all over the country. During the two-week program, children who might have never been to other countries or have never interacted with foreigners get an amazing possibility to become real team players, critical thinkers and tolerant people who are ready to work in a multicultural environment. Volunteer! Make you impact!

Available options:
May 30 - June 14 2019
June 6 - June 21 2019
Aug 8 - Aug 23 2019

• Experience Ukrainian hospitality and culture while living in a host-family all over Ukraine
  • Motivate kids to break their language barriers, think creatively and critically, be tolerant and communicate in a multicultural environment.
  • Join global GoCamp family of more than 800 volunteers from 67 countries and 144 000 Ukrainian kids.
  • Get an affordable opportunity of traveling with a purpose.

Hi, thanks for asking! You just need to be able to speak English fluently to be able to participate.

George

An experience for everyone

GoCamp Ukraine sent me to the western city of Ternopil, three hours by train from Lviv. On the night of my arrival I was met by the friendliest host family I could have asked for. We quickly became close and my stay with them proved as central to my GoCamp experience as the teaching itself.

The class I was assigned varied in age, though most children were between 10 and 12. Teaching them English through my own personal life experiences proved incredibly fun for all of us, and the teacher I was assisting provided me with continuous guidance. I was also shown a number of landmarks in the area in a number of day trips organised for the class and myself by the school.

I cannot stress how well organised GoCamp is. I could not attend the orientation session at the beginning of my stay due to passport issues. My GoCamp coordinators were quick to assist me and provided me with a SIM card and train tickets despite my late arrival. I strongly recommend GoCamp to everyone, and I would be happy to see you this June in Lviv if you find yourself in the vicinity! :)

GoCamp could benefit from a stronger Alumnus network, as I haven't really kept in touch with other participants save for the few I made friends with at the end of my stay. Beyond this, the program is very well organised and intended.
Michael

Been all over world but --- None Like it!

I have traveled to 44 countries of the world. This was the first time that I have experienced an immersion environment that allowed me to taste the life of an average Ukrainian family in a city and in a small selo. This was thrilling - very enriching for my wife and me - and we feel guilty for we feel we gained more then we gave.
The students were polite, thoughtful, info sponges - yearning to hear and learn. Each day, host families would show us neighboring towns and historic sites. They would drive us to surrounding areas so that we could experience the wealth and beauty of the history and countryside. They would take us shopping on for their needs. Let us experience their daily life, struggles, picnics, birthdays, Sunday services, everything...
Today, at every opportunity, I encourage everyone to participate in this program. I guarantee they will take away more then they will give. If I could, I would participate in all 4 sessions per year .

Sine 2017 was only the second year of the program in Ukraine - they need to work on better coordination between the teachers and the volunteer in advance of arrival. That said it is important to note that all the participants, teachers, parents, staff and students were very supportive and worked very hard to get the most out of our time. To get the maximum benefit, I would recommend exchanging some teaching goals and materials by internet in advance of arrival. Otherwise - it was EXTEREMLY TERRIFIC!
Elina

A very rewarding experience

From the staff, volunteers, students, and program managers everyone was so wonderful and genuinely excited to be a part of the program. I made such good friends throughout this program. Ukraine is a wonderful country with wonderful people. The food and hospitality was amazing. It was very rewarding seeing the impact the volunteers had. One of the students I taught had no interest in school and was only a part of the program to meet foreign volunteers, by the end of the program he had decided he wanted to study International Relations in University in the capital, Kyiv. I went to visit a year later and was able to meet him in Kyiv as he had achieved that dream and is now studying English and to become a diplomat. I highly recommend this program for anyone who wants to experience what Ukraine is like, and meet the amazing people that run this program.

Remember that a lot of the food involves dairy and butter :)
Rox

Amazing experience!

As someone who has participated in many volunteer service trips around the world, I felt that GO CAMP was one of the best ones I have been part of. It is clear how much they care about the mission, vision, and values of the organization. This is reflected in an incredibly low price point for volunteers to attend (flight + application fee). Many organizations would "charge" a $3000-8000 fee for a month of volunteering oversees. The staff are organized, empathetic, passionate, and very intelligent. It was an honour to meet so many like-minded volunteers from all over the world at our 3 day training in Kyiv (and after our placements at a final debrief in Kyiv). The host family, community, and participants at camp were incredible! We were the first non-blood relatives/tourists in the community. I felt valuable and valued as a volunteer. I was able use my skills in various ways, have input in programming, and also teach my skills. I was also able to sharpen my skills as an educator. Please consider going to Ukraine with GO CAMP. You will love it!

Read my full story
Peter

An unforgettable life-changing experience!

I had many subconscious stereotypes about Ukraine and I decided to challenge them and gain new skills by joining GoCamp in August 2018. It turned out that both of these goals were achieved. I had a fantastic experience in Ukraine during my entire stay. Ukraine made a very good impression on me with its friendly, humble and hospitable people, which are qualities that I really appreciate when I travel. The staff at GoCamp acted professionally 100% of the time. It seemed to me that they thought of every single detail in regards to volunteers and the schools. They organized an amazing introduction camp where they provided us with a insight into Ukrainian culture and language, and they also organized the train ride to our school all around Ukraine. I felt like there was always someone there for me in case I needed any help or advice. As for my teaching experience, I gained lots of leadership and teaching skills when working in my school in the town of Berehove. I learned how to set up realistic goals and how to achieve them effectively, but also how to plan the activities with other volunteers and how to divide the roles among each other. Moreover, I learned how to make the kids respect me, and how to accommodate their individual needs and how to adapt to their pace of learning. Plus, I was blessed to work in an international environment with volunteers coming from Ukraine and abroad as well, and I can definitely say that I made lots of friends for life. In other words, Ukraine gave me a lot and I can't be thankful enough for taking part in GoCamp. I miss my days in Ukraine so much and I would absolutely recommend everyone to take part in GoCamp!

Nothing, every single thing worked perfectly 100% of the time way beyond my expectations
Emmeline

Couldn't have asked for a better time!

I got to live like a local, explore Ukraine, and teach lovely kids! The teaching was so much fun and the kids were so excited to learn and talk. The culture and people were so unique I was always learning new things! I wish I could do it every summer! I wish I had gotten more time to teach the kids and more time to be with the other volunteers. After the teaching is when I explored Ukraine with the other volunteers and we bonded and joked so much! I made some great new friends from all over the world. The kids were so excited to learn I wish I was able to teach them more and spend more time together, but we had lots of fun! My host family made me feel right at home and showed me all around their area and introduced me to lots of people. By the end of the time I would recognize people walking by and would talk a bit.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would spend more time at the school and at the end.
Benjamin

Amazing Experience in all aspects

All-rounded activity which was positive from all angles:
- Very interesting orientation training in Kiev where you get to know awesome volunteers from all over the world.
- Very inspiring to spend time with kids that are really motivated to learn and share experiences with someone else.
- I don´t have words to describe the kindness of the host family and the host school. They were really excited to receive someone from another country and they really make my stay there really enjoyable.
- The Go Global staff is very friendly and is ready to help you every time.
- You get to know more about the history of Ukraine, involving the Ukrainian culture and the language.
- It helps to build your CV.
Just enroll, without a doubt I will repeat this experience. You will meet great people, have very interesting conversations, try new food, enjoy discovering new lands!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Enjoy more every moment, those 2-3 weeks happened really fast!
Lila

FUN AND MEANINGFUL

First, Ukraine is the most happening country in Europe right now! This is a great opportunity to experience an ancient culture in a modern world at the crossroads of very exciting social changes. GoCamp offers a rare volunteer opportunity to do meaningful work with kids. You'll have an adventure of a lifetime. It's great experience no matter what your profession. I've volunteered two years in a row and am coming back again this summer for my third time. I love it. I ask to be assigned to a school in the east, as close as possible to the war zone, because I feel these kids need our help more. Each year I go to a new location so that I can see as much as possible of Ukraine and meet a variety of people. You'll learn so many things about yourself, not only Ukraine, and will be surprised what you can accomplish!

Go with the flow! Not everything may go according to plan, but don't worry. GoCamp has your back and will take good care of you. So will the school teacher you'll be working with.
Fayçal

Extraordinary experience

If you are looking for an experience where you discover this whole new country and rich culture, help schools in establishing a great program to train their kids AND learn a lot with fun ... GoCamp is the way to go !
You'll work with an ONG and all its experience !
You'll exchange with local teachers !
You'll work with volunteers from around the world !
You'll learn new tricks to be a better teacher !
You'll exchange with kids and inspire them for their future choices !
You'll eat a lot hahaha !
You'll meat the most welcoming people ever !
You'll want to come back for another year !
You'll fall in love with the country !
You'll get tired (maybe) because of all the energy you'd spend with the kids, they are just lovable !
And you'll discover many cultures ;)

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Discover more about the country and use my week-ends better
Maxence

GoCamp!

A lifetime experience.

I was involved both in Kyiv and in the countryside, and I'm grateful to GoCamp for taking me on board. The team was fun and helpful, school teachers were very welcoming and kids were eager to learn - and also to teach you a thing or two about Ukraine, their life there, the cultural context, etc.

Ukraine is a wonderful and huge country - you can spend hours looking through the window in trains taking you to Lviv, Odesa, Ivano-Frankivsk, Kharkiv, Poltova...

It's also an ideal place to master the art of the cyrillic alphabet and to learn or improve your Ukrainian and Russian. When in Kyiv with GoCamp, my schedule was arranged to allow me to attend my classes in the center.

Also, did I mention that Kyiv is fantastic?

Go and see for yourself!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Went up the Mount Hoverla (highest mountain in Ukraine) with my GoCamp family!
Solomiya

Amazing!

This was my first time volunteering abroad! I was super nervous, but everything ended up being amazing. My host family and school were above and beyond, I arrived extremely sick and they took care of me for 3 days. It didn’t even feel like I was volunteering, it felt more like a vacation. We visited many museums, theatres etc! The kids I got already knew a ton of English, so I was mostly helping with grammar. I highly recommend this to anyone looking for an incredible experience! It was 100x better than what I expected in my head, and the friendship and connection I made are with people I keep in contact with regularly. This was definitely my favourite volunteer experience and I cannot recommend it enough. Do not give this a second thought and just go for it and have the most amazing experience of your life!

Be prepared to teach m, but also be prepared to have fun!
Dina

A heart melting experience

The best part was the hosting family engagement; we were engaged in the Ukrainian community and challenges. It was not a sightseeing trip; it was a life engagement human experience.

It was a full time work, we had to prepare the classes daily but it worth every moments. the children were so intelligent and cooperative. The school and hosting family made a great effort, by the end of the program i had a true beloved family in Ukraine.

I believe that the Ukrainian and Egyptian have lots of similarities. And i encourage Egyptian specially to participate in this program as it suits our culture and life style. The Ukrainian families respect a lot any differences which i found minors.

I went to the program with a lot of emotional discomfort due to work stresses and fear of expectation and just spending the day with the children healed it all. i am still connected after a year with the teachers , families and student and i thank God every day for this life changing opportunity.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
We engaged the parent and invited them spontaneously to a meeting as we noticed the need of their engagement. And when I presented to them their children’s projects output, I was so touched and proud. i believe this need to be part of the program main targets.
Esme

An experience beyond words!

It was my first time volunteering abroad, and I am so happy that I chose to do it with GoCamp. TheGoCamp team was so friendly, always available to answer questions and lend a helping hand. The training session they organized at the beginning of the trip was the most fun I can ever remember having, it was a brilliant way to get to know the other volunteers, make a few good friends, discover the different cultures, learn new skills and play games. The kids were all very nice and very eager to listen and communicate, as were their school teachers. It's a wonderful opportunity to visit a beautiful country and meet some great people, and a lot of the volunteers stay an extra week to visit a few of the big cities and mahor landmarks. It's an amazing experience which I hope to relive some day soon and which I fully recommend!

If this is your first time doing something like this: don't stress. The members of the GoCamp team will be behind you every step of the way, if you have any questions or worries they're always just one short email/phone call away. They are incredibly resourceful and helpful, and they make sure you never feel alone, no matter how far away from home you are.
Matti

I recommend to volunteers of all ages regardless of background

I volunteered in this program. I think the program is managed and planned very professionally, and with attention to detail.
The registration fee is much lower than in many volunteer programs, that's why I also recommend this. It does not matter if you have travelled in Europe or Eastern Europe before, or if you speak the local languages or not.
Recommended if you want to get experience and build your CV, or if you want to travel while doing something impactful, making children happy and learning about other cultures.

Phone service was not a problem, and there is mobile wifi in many places. The country is very beautiful in summer. I can recommend volunteering also in other places than near major cities, since there is nature and historical buildings in many places.

What was your funniest moment?
Visiting zoo and amusement park with the school group