Louisiana Flood Recovery Volunteer Program

This program is no longer offered. View more programs from All Hands and Hearts.

Want to help Hurricane Harvey survivors? We can help you get there!

We committed to remaining in Houston for the next two years to help families return back to their homes after Hurricane Harvey, and we need your help to get there! If you commit to volunteering for at least two weeks in 2018, we will provide a round-trip flight from within the United States to help you get to and from our program. Additionally, accommodation and meals are provided regardless of your length of stay.

In August 2016, the state of Louisiana was hit by an overwhelming level of flooding and one of the worst natural disasters in recent years. Our US response team immediately jumped into action and we are still there today.

After several months of clearing debris and preparing affected homes for rebuild, our response efforts now transition into longer term recovery for the flood affected homeowners.

Our teams are currently completing construction work on homes damaged by the devastating flooding, helping homeowners continue to recover.

• Transformative volunteer experience

The project was appropriate for an 18 year old woman. But unfortunately our project ended. We currently have projects in Texas (Houston & Aransas Pass), USVI & Puerto Rico where our teams are committed to help people recover from disasters. You can check out our current projects at www.hands.org .

Julia

A life changing experience

I love this organization with all of my heart. I first started volunteering on the Louisiana program in August 2016, when the floods in Baton Rouge and Denham Springs first happened. I signed up for a week in between university semesters, and I knew from my first week that I was hooked. I came back in December to serve with the organization in Louisiana for another five weeks, and returned again in July for another ten months.

Since then, I've been exposed to so many people throughout the world who are eager to make a difference. At the time, I was a disgruntled political science student and seeing how many wonderful people are willing to sacrifice their time and other commitments to help someone else in need spoke volumes to me. Not only will you get to meet people from around the world and be exposed to new cultures, but you'll also learn new skills and help a community in need. Before volunteering with All Hands and Hearts, I had never used a construction tool in my life before, but everyone is so patient and eager to help that it was fun to pick it up.

Thank you for changing my life, All Hands and Hearts. You flipped it around in the best way possible, and I owe a lot of love to the organization for doing it.

Everything is ran flawlessly.
jim

Another great experience

I was the better part of a year with this project. I go back with the org to Katrina and Rita response in Biloxi. Always a productive and amazing experience with great people. I've been staff multiple times, a non-profit partner, and a volunteer again on Project Louisiana. The housing facilities in Denham Springs were amazing and extremely welcoming. Reunited with a lot of recurring peoples from past responses and rebuilds, and met a lot of great new peoples too. Good stuffs all around.

Devin

Always a great experience

I've participated on several All Hands projects now, and the reasons I keep coming back are plentiful. AHV is full of amazing people from all over the country and the world, absolutely committed to connecting with those affected by disasters and doing everything they can to get them real help. It's an incredible community, and everyone always loves the time they spend as a part of it.

You don't need to bring any skills or experience, just a commitment to learning and contributing.

Heather

Changed my life

I have been helping with disaster relief and recovery on All Hands projects for the past four years. What started out as a three month stint has totally changed the course of my life. Volunteering with All Hands has given me an outlet to help
people through some of the worst moments of their lives, has given me life skills I will have with me forever, helped me grow in ways I never could have imagined and has helped me become part of the best family I have ever known. Everyday, I get to work alongside some of the best people I have ever met. While making a difference and having fun at the same time. How many people can say that?

Alex

Impact

I came to Louisiana looking to do something with my summer geared toward my career goals. What I found was a place where I was challenged, supported, and appreciated. Working with All Hands for the past two months has truly changed my perspective of the world and challenged who I thought I was. I have never been around a group of people more accepting, kind, or with more of a drive to help others. This, combined with the tangible positive impact you, as a volunteer, are making to help rebuild the community is unlike any other experience.

Topher

So grateful

I joined All Hands in April of this year. I signed on originally to volunteer for 4 months but have since extended my time to 5 months.
I feel so blessed that I can use my time and talents to help rebuild homes for those who can not do it themselves.
I came to all hands with no prior knowledge of construction or any knowledge of disaster relief. Everything I know now has been taught to me through the site supervisors and other staff.
I feel so grateful that I have this opportunity to help others.

About All Hands and Hearts

All Hands and Hearts - Smart Response is a US based, 501 c3 non-profit organization that addresses the immediate and long-term needs of communities impacted by natural disasters by engaging and leveraging volunteers, partner organizations, and local...