Global Routes | Custom Experiences

OVERVIEW
Global Routes has been a pioneer and leader in the field of immersive international programs for over 50 years. We specialize in developing Custom Programs for schools, camps, organizations, groups, and individuals. The New York Times named us “one of the most respected organizations in the field” based on our experience leading over 10,000 students and participants on life-changing programs all over the world. The Global Routes program model focuses on sustainable community service, immersive homestay experiences in rural villages, and authentic travel opportunities. Each Custom Program we design is unique to the group taking the trip and built from scratch. We can tailor any Custom Program to meet the unique interests, goals, dates, destinations, and budgets of our partners. Our experienced staff offers expertise in program development and group facilitation to support you in building out your dream program from conceptualization to implementation.

• Our hallmark model includes meaningful community service, cross-cultural exchange, and living and volunteering in rural homestay communities.
  • We have over 50 years in the field, an impeccable safety record, and deep relationships across the US, Central and South America, the Caribbean, Asia, and Africa.
  • Global Routes handles all aspects of program development and logistics, including pre-trip preparation, organizing in-country logistics, and booking international travel.
  • Program focus areas may include cultural immersion, community service, improved language skills, ecologically responsible adventure/travel, group dynamics, increased global awareness.
  • We can provide professional and skilled field instructors to lead the program (if desired) with a 24/7 communication and support system when in the field.

Impact

“Each year students return from their Global Routes Service Immersion program with a thirst to travel, a broadened view of the global world they encompass as well as a new perspective on what really matters to them. These programs challenge students to think globally and connect with diverse communities. Through these experiences, students recognize how similar we all are, no matter the miles between us.”
- MARTA CABRAL, NDA HINGHAM

The impact of a Global Routes program is lifelong. Due to the focus on deep cultural immersion and authentic travel experiences that go off the beaten tourist track, participants are able to truly focus on their surroundings, develop meaningful connections, and tune into their own self discovery.

10 Ways The Global Routes Experience Has A Lifelong Impact Based on 50+ years of Alumni feedback

1. Inspires Career Paths
9. Improves Complex Problems Solving
10. Nurtures Global Awareness

Kim

Global Routes Tanzania Program

Global Routes provided an incredible experience that pushed our daughter out of her comfort zone in a healthy and nurturing way. The service opportunities were unlike anything she would experience in a domestic setting, and I am sure the impact of the trip will be felt for years to come. She came back saying it was life altering and that she can’t wait to return to Africa in the future to be of more service!

In terms of safety and logistics, I can't recommend Global Routes enough. Even though we were sending our 15 year old halfway across the globe, I never feared she would be put in an unsafe situation. In addition, on the return trip there was a major issue with the airline that could easily have created confusion and anxiety in terms of getting the group home. Adam and his team were extremely communicative and were on top of every issue they encountered trying to reroute the group. I was incredibly impressed by how a difficult situation was handled by the organization!

Katelyn

Go on a Global Routes Trip.

My Global Routes experience was something I will never forget. I learned more than I ever thought possible. It was definitely a challenge but it for sure shaped me to become a better person. Our trip had 3 different phases, first the cultural orientation, the homestay and service project, then an incredible 3 day safari. Our cultural orientation was at the United African Alliance Community Center in Arusha. We learned a few things that would be super useful at the homestay, as well as bond, try some Tanzanian food, learn a bit of Swahili, and grow an appreciation for the welcoming Tanzanians. Our leaders, Adam and Mary, were clearly very experienced in these situations. They made me feel very welcomed and payed attention to me. I had gotten pretty sick on the airplane on the way there, and they made sure that every activity I was doing I was good with and was feeling better. The homestay and worksite was just an indescribable experience, I seriously do not know how to put it into words. It was just so surreal and educational. I had to kept reminding myself that that was their everyday life. I learned how to cook in the dark and with one flame, clean clothes with 2 buckets, use a squatty potty, and my personal favorite, the bucket bath. The building of the classroom was another unforgettable thing. Seeing the joy in the children and the fundis who helped us build the school was so heartwarming. Definitely challenging but super worth it. The safari was just crazy. It felt like a Disney ride. By the end of this trip, we were all one big happy and loving family. We have a very special bond. Asante sana Global Routes for this opportunity. If you are reading this, go on a Global Routes trip. You will not regret it.

Absolutely nothing, it was so amazing. On the program, there were a few things that I wished were different, yet looking back, it all made perfect sense.
avery

Global Routes - Tanzania

This Global Routes trip was the best 2 weeks of my life! Although challenging at times, every moment was truly life changing. I created a new family with my fellow travelers, and the Tanzanians! It was a great experience in which I furthered my global mindfulness and gained a sense of community and family with all of the people I was with throughout the trip. My fellow travelers and I have become friends for life and I will never forget the warm smiles of all the Tanzanians. The trip was amazing and I would do it again in a heartbeat. None of it would have been possible without Global Routes. I truly recommend a Global Routes trip to anyone who wishes to touch others lives while becoming closer with the ones they travel with. If you have any doubts about going on a trip like this, I can assure you that Global Routes leaders offered tremendous amounts of support throughout the trip and they will not let you down.

My advice to future travelers would have to be; take it all in as best you can. At times it can get really challenging and you might want to go home, but you have to remember you're only there for such a short time to leave your mark. Every moment matters during your time spent on a trip like this. The short time spent abroad can fly by so I'd recommend taking some time throughout the trip to center yourself and remember the reason you came.
Olivia

My Tanzania Experience

While in Tanzania with Global Routes and my peers, I was able to step out of my comfort zone in the best way. Through this service program, I was able to learn more about myself and the amazing and unique culture of the Tanzanian people. To explain this trip one one word is impossible, but if I had to: Life-changing. The leaders of Global Routes not only helped get me ready prior to the trip, they also encouraged me throughout the program and helped me to grow in ways I never expected. This trip planted a seed in my heart that has made me realize how fortunate I am and how much I want to help others. I always knew doing a service trip was something I wanted to do, but now I realize it is something I needed to do. It was a remarkable opportunity and one that I would do all over again in a heart beat!!

My advice is to go in with an open mind and expect the unexpected.
Erin

Tanzania Global Routes Trip

There is no easy way for me to put this trip into words. It went beyond my expectations and connected me to the world in a way I didn't know was possible. It opened my eyes to a new culture and allowed me the opportunity to give back to people in the local village there. It truly changed my perspective of the world and I cannot express how thankful I am for the chance to have gone on this trip.
One of the highlights of the trip was the locals themselves. They were all so genuinely happy to see us and welcomed us like family. I was definitely nervous about the language barrier going into the trip but I soon found that the love and gratefulness we had for one another was easily communicated. The kids were so excited to see us and just wanted to hold our hand. I really learned so much about the world around me and would definitely recommend this trip to a wide range of people. Even though this is the only Global Routes program I have partaked in I would definitely be able to suggest any of their trips because they put equal time and effort to all of their programs and make sure that the safety and enjoyment of each trip is at its full potential.

Honestly I can not think of a single improvement. Everything from the leaders to the homestay and every single thing in between was amazing. You can definitely tell how much time and thought beforehand is put in to make sure that each and every person who embarks on this trip has their best experience possible

About Global Routes

Be more than a traveler with Global Routes. Global Routes seeks to foster personal development in our students through cross-cultural experiences that encourage them to step outside of their boundaries and open their hearts and minds to new and...