Volunteer & Learn Spanish in Venezuela -- CLOSED

Venezuela
0 travelers saved this program

About This Program

Another award winning program! Based in either Merida or Playa Colorada this program combines tailored intensive Spanish lessons with volunteering. We have many volunteer placement options and they fall into two main categories - community based activities and environmental conservation.

Lucy

Experience of a lifetime

I had such an enjoyable trip with Jakera! The staff are so kind and really helpful with money and advice on where to go. Its such an amazing enviroment and it is so simple to learn Spanish through lessons with and working with local people. I found the trips also really helped me to learn about the wonderful country and I could not have asked for a better time with Jakera.

Although it is an amazing program it would be good to give a little more information on some of the trips and activities before people do them.
Christian

Jakera Venezuela

From the chaos of Caracas to the calm and tranquil coast line of Playa Colorada you immediately feel the rhythm of this fantastic Latin nation. Based close to the beach and able to immerse yourself in the local way of life from day one Jakera was able to offer a very unique experience you know you will cheerish for many years to come. The camp had excellent facilities and a great enthusiastic team which made for a very comfortable stay. The spanish tuition and the amazing projects Jakera had set up really enabled us to learn the language and interact with the local people. You really felt part of the team! If this wasnt enough the challenges of Kayaking in the Orinocco delta or climbing Roriama the mystical flat top mountain and camping on top certainly brought out the best in yourself..overall a fantastic adventure and a wonderful way to take in new cultures and a language and meet some beautiful people..As they say at Jakera...ViVa La Vida!!!

longer programs!
Ben

Trip of a lifetime

From absailing down a waterfall, to having a Spanish lesson on an island in the mochima national park whilst spotting dolphins swimming by, this trip has it all. Not to mention the life changing kayaking trip throughout the Orinocco delta. Eating maurichi grubs and having a tarantula on my face (voluntary show of testosterone...) to tying your hammock up on a pontoon facing the open river. I arrived knowing only how to say yes and i don't understand, i left having joined the intermediate/advanced level Spanish class. Waking up every morning and being able to either chill on the beach or to just chill in the camp with a book was amazing. Since coming home i've missed Venezuela so much, i really wish i could have spent longer out there.

Josh

The best 6 months of my life! Kayaking, mountain climbing, jungle expeditions all whilst meeting amazing people and learning the native language.. Rock on!

My partner and I spent 6 months with Jakera learning Spanish, volunteering and doing adventure activities in the amazing country that is Venezuela!
The team there are fantastic, thoughtful and friendly, and great fun! We honestly had the time of our lives. Being immersed into venezuelan culture and the local people really helped us pick up the language, twinned with great Spanish tuition meant we were soon more than capable of spreading our wings and exploring the local area; where there was great opportunity to have a chat with the locals, especially the children at the local 'Jakera club' ( a club set up and run by Jakera students for children in Playa Colorada, where Jakera is based). Jakera club is one of the fantastic opportunities you have at Jakera to put something back into the local community. We helped run the club and did fun activities with the kids, English lessons, dance, drawing, ecology; I must say that the children were better teachers that us at dance and we learnt a great deal too, and I no doubt, gave the kids some amusement laughing at my poor hip shaking attempts!
We were on a six month trip, and we're so glad to be able to stay in country for so long, but it must be said that many of our friends who were only in country for a few weeks enjoyed themselves just as much as we did! We didn't want to leave!
It's crazy thinking back to all that we experienced when we were with Jakera, we did so many wonderful things, had so many experiences to treasure for life! Kayaking with caymans, piranha fishing, snorkelling on beautiful coral reefs, abseiling down a waterfall, climbing mountains, slashing our way through jungle, just laying on the beaches of he beautiful coast, all whilst learning Spanish, and volunteering; feeling you could help make a difference to a local community or a project.
We experienced so much, far too much to write on here, but what must be said is that they've got it right at Jakera, as soon as we can we're going back! And we'd definitely reccomend it to anyone with a sense of adventure, a passion to learn, take in a new culture, and just have a great time with great people! Go see for yourself!