TaLK - Internships in South Korea!

By TaLK   Reviews (23)   86% Rating

Teach and Learn in Korea (TaLK) invites you on a Korean Government scholarship to teach English at a public elementary school in a rural area of South Korea.

Benefits include a monthly stipend of KRW 1.5 million (approx. $1,300), a settling-in allowance of KRW 300,000 (approx. $250), a free round-trip air ticket, accommodation, health insurance and more! Have fun exploring a unique culture and develop a mature global mindset.

TaLK scholarship terms begin in August and February. Apply online for the 2013 semester programs!

Top 5 Reasons to Intern With Us

UNDERGRADUATES and graduates of accredited universities/colleges are eligible to apply **given they are a citizen from the U.S., U.K., Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland or South Africa.

A 6-MONTH CONTRACT is available for those who want a "taste" of volunteer- and work-abroad experience in Korea.

RURAL elementary schools are our program's target locations, as geographically disadvantaged areas are the most hard-hit by the inequality in English education.

A KOREAN CO-TEACHER ("buddy") is available to provide teaching assistance during in-class instructions and to help you EXPLORE your options to learn Korean language and culture through various activities supported in part by your local government.

4-WEEK INTENSIVE TRAINING is mandatory as a buffer period for adjustment and briefing of the following months to come. Orientation provides fundamental knowledge of Korea, living and teaching English in South Korea, the education system, teaching methodologies and theories, lesson planning, classroom management, etc.

Program Info

• Dan
    Phoenix, AZ
    Amazing Program!
    05/16/2012

This was an amazing program. I was so happy to have been part of TaLK. They really took care of me and I was able to experience Korea! It was a great to teach elementary students and really help them with their future. I made connections all over Korea and even made friends from all over the world.

The 3 week orientation is great too! I would have to say that the organized field trips and scavenger hunts were my favorite part of the orientation. The reason for this is because it gave the TaLK scholars opportunities to work with and get to know one another in an enjoyable setting. They were also structured enough to keep the groups busy, but casual enough to still have freedom to explore and experience Korea.

Most of the lectures from orientation are very applicable to what I will be doing in my assigned school. I can see the depth and detail the TaLK Program must have gone through to put together such an organized and diverse lecture load. Since I am fairly well accustomed to the Korean culture, I was able to reap the most benefits from the lectures involving teaching techniques.

Useful: 8 Inspiring: 10
  • Alex
    Ypsilanti, Michigan
    Cork School of Music
    Amazing Experience
    05/16/2012

South Korea is an amazing country in itself. The culture is rich and the people are respectful. I had a wonderful time there.

The Teach and Learn in Korea Program offers a month of training to prepare you for what you will encounter in the school. They work hard to make sure that training is fun and relevant.

If you are the first to teach at your school, you will receive assistance in finding an apartment and money to furnish it. If you are not the first person, then you will have to just settle with what the person before you purchased.

We received three large books filled with teaching materials. It helped a lot. The activities are placed in subject order. It would be more helpful if the materials were separated into grade level sections.

My school was really kind to me. We had staff dinners and even a weekend trip to the mountains. I had loads of fun.

The TaLK program has so many benefits. The pay is very generous seeing as though your only real expense is food. In the program you only work 15 hours a week. This gives you a lot of free time. Explore the country.

I plan to go back to S. Korea. It was truly amazing.

Useful: 6 Inspiring: 7
  • Skenglishadvebrure
    Chicago,il
    University of Denver
    Best abroad program
    05/05/2012

This program is safe, fun, and exciting. The programs orientation provides wonderful information and intro to south Korean teaching. The schools are small with kind kids wanting to learn. Best place to make friends all over the world

Useful: 1 Inspiring: 1
  • chunsa88
    Sydney Australia
    Great people not so great support
    05/03/2012

I was lucky, I had a great school with really nice teachers and facilities but one down side was I had no textbook to teach with so I had to make my own materials from scratch and that was really difficult.
    The lack of co-teacher was another troubling point. There was only 1 co-teacher in my province but we had 3 TaLK scholars. There was a university 30 mins away from my school so I don't see why they couldn't have gotten someone from there to help out. It was really difficult trying to control the students when they didn't speak good English.
    I found you get a lot of support during Orientation, but after that it's really just you on your own. The TaLK office has nothing to do with you after you go to your province.
    The other foreign English teachers I met were really nice people and we made a network together. So overall it was ok.

Useful: 4 Inspiring: 0
  • CharlotteTeacher
    Orlando, FL
    Potomac College
    TaLK: Six Months That Can Change Everything
    03/15/2012

I have nothing but great things to say about the Teach and Learn in Korea program. The gist of the program is to place native speakers into rural Korean after-school public classrooms and help foster a love of the English language in elementary EFL learners. The wage is not as much as EPIK teachers, but you also only work 3 hours a day. Flight is paid, housing is paid. As a "scholar" even get culture money to fund your own adventures and are provided with Korean classes.

The truth: The TaLK program changed my life. I am now in school to get my MA in TESOL and plan on going back to Korea for curriculum development. There is a one-month training session in which you learn how to teach and make tons of new friends. Korean food is some of the most delicious in the world. I had several mishaps while in Korea and the support staff was always timely in their replies. I never once fely unsafe. My school was rural, as stated in description of the program, but I felt completely welcomed and honored to teach there. Ample supplies, technologies and assistance were available in my classroom.

Downsides: Communication with your school can be difficult. Expectations are not clearly stated and miscommunications can be common and relentlessly frustrating. It's important to keep in mind that you are teaching a voluntary after-school class and that attendance is optional so you have to be fun and flexible in the classroom. Some people had bad experiences, but I also faced many challenges with my school. It is important to remember to always keep a positive attitude towards any dealings with your school or the Office of Education.

In summation: you're paid 1,500 a month to work 3 hours a day and teach adorable Korean school children and have a fantastic experience learning about Korean culture.

If you have two years of college under your belt and are looking for a life-changing experience, I have only one question-- Why haven't you already applied?!

Useful: 4 Inspiring: 5
  • Arjun
    london
    TALK application process, NOT the program!
    02/16/2012

I never actually ended up participating on the TALK programme, only applied. My warning to prospective applicants is to be prepared to go through a very lengthly application process. I had to go for an in person interview, obtain criminal record checks, get an apostille (none of which were explained very clearly), resubmit a lesson plan until it was of a very high standard, have to obtain two quality academic references. Also this all has to be done, ideally within two months of the participation deadline, otherwise your application may be deferred to the next cycle, like mine was. None of the expenses for crimical disclosure and transport were reimbursed. I'm sure the experience itself is a great one, but make sure that you have enough available time, and are willing to use all your resources to get through the application. Also, there were unclear instructions about their contact number of their website, and the website was quite slow.

Useful: 8 Inspiring: 0
  • asdfasdf
    South Korea
    New program... has a lot of kinks to be worked out
    11/01/2011

I love teaching and I love working oversease. However, I have encountered many problems with my school. I think I am just at a "problem school."

Unfortunately the TaLK program has been little help with the issues I've had with my school.

If I had to do it again I would have chosen the Epik program. It pays MUCH better and I think a person would run into the same problems with either program.

Useful: 0 Inspiring: 0
  • June
    Seoul, Korea
    Roehampton University
    do not hesitate... trust me I've been there!
    10/28/2011

What Can I say about the program...

It has been couple of years but the memory is vivid as it happened only yesterday.

I won't say how good is the prgram because you have to experienced yourself to know what it really likes.

ok...
    good things....endless!!!
    i'll try to make it as simple as a shopping list.

1.Wonderful opportunity to meet people from other countries and make friends.- I still keep in touch with some!

2.School teachers were really helpful and nice.
    at my school, they gave tips of student's characters and it helped me a lot to understnad students and how to approach them. Also they found me a good place to live!

3. Good pay, good working condition and good life!
    the pay is good and TaLK is really treating their scholars well. you are going to be placed at a rural area but you won't be alone because you will have other scholrs around your region and it helps a lot to settle down.

now 3 advises I would like to give to coming scholars.

1. Be nice!
    please be polite. this is the key to have the best experience and get along with others no matter who you meet.

2. madke sure you have someone to talk to and meet.
    very very important. maeke sure you are happy and don't feel lonely. Seriously, they will down size your problems when you share with them, they will maximise good things :)

3.Be thankful.
    being in a strange culture is not easy. everything seems weird and awkward. but remember they(the school and children) also feels same way as you are!
    But they are willing to accept you and love you. so be thankful for their willingness and open heart.

I can go on and on and on and on...

but i'll leav the best things for you to find out!

• astrumes
    Pomona, California
    The highlight of my life so far!
    10/28/2011

The TaLK program is something unforgettable in every aspect of the world. There were ups, down, and all around amazing experiences.

While living in the rural countryside, I learned to become independent and responsible not just for myself, but for all the children I was teaching. The students you have will make you both want to rip the skin off your face and fill you with so much pride your chest feels like it will pop. While the language barrier can be something difficult to overcome, I learned that patience and perseverance is the key. They want to understand you as much as you want to understand them.

Traveling was one of the best things about living in South Korea. Feel like heading to the Haeundae beach? Hope on the train or bus and go! Its that simple! The cost is next to nothing and transportation in mind-boggling fast. It got to the point where I was traveling somewhere new every weekend that I always had a small travel bag ready to go at the drop of a hat.

So many of the cities are rich in history and seeped in South Korea's cultural identity. In my year and a half there, I've seen and lived with monks, been inside castles, temples, and breath taking museums. One of the more interesting being the Love Museum of Jeju Island. That's one everyone has to see at least once, if not for giggles.

Don't get me wrong, there have been some serious hardships as well. The language barrier is one of the most prevalent. But the lessons in Korean offered during the orientation and training has been an incredible help.

Weather, if you aren't used having a range of it, can be daunting. South Korea is the land of four distinct seasons. Spring is stunning as the cherry blossoms come into bloom (along with the allergies) and weather is mild... for all of two weeks. Then the blazing, humid summer is in full drive and the hum of cicadas a common background sound in day to day life. The air is so thick with moisture that you practically swim from place to place. The autumn season is unrivaled in its beauty as the trees turn into an array of amazing colors. The cooler temperature is relief from summer and before you can blink, its the dead of winter. Snow and sleet are heavy and it actually hurts to breath at times.

Mosquitoes, I learned the hard way, are beefed up and probably on steroids in Korea. During the summer, if you're not careful, they will eat you alive. They drove me mad as the made a meal out of me, even through the jeans of my pants!

The TaLK Program was the best thing I've ever done for myself and will be for a very long time. The people I've met, from all over the world, have touched my life and I know I'm a better person for knowing them. Immersing yourself in an environment so completely different and alien can be terrifying, yes, but just as rewarding. The memories I've made and the things I've done there things that some people will never get to experience in their lives.

Don't be afraid to a step off the edge. Don't let yourself get complacent. Don't make excuses for yourself. Learn to live! Learn it in South Korea.

• lehazelnut
    Bristol, UK
    University of Manchester
    TaLK all about it~~
    10/27/2011

TaLK is a pretty good idea if you are still studying but want some extra experience outside of lectures and essays. If you've graduated already though, I wouldn't recommend it as there are far better deals and experiences to be had.
    For me, the average school meant getting to school for around 8.30am, teaching a lesson or two in the morning, and a lesson or two in the afternoon. Fifteen hours a week teaching is not stretching, but in our school although there was money for resources, there weren't any, so I spent a lot of that extra time making flashcards and the like, which I strangely enjoy. The most frustrating thing were the days when you only had an hour of class, but had to hang around all day just the same. On the other side, the school did make every effort to include me in all aspects of school life - from field trips to music clubs, which definitely enriched my experience. It's one of those you get out of it what you put into things...
    To be honest, I didn't go to many of the TaLK organised sessions after the initial training; I settled into life in Korea pretty easily, and they just weren't really things I fancied doing. But the fact that I didn't go wasn't a problem, and I knew lots of people who went and had great times.
    I taught with TaLK from 2008 - 2009, after which I stuck about in Korea for another year before moving back to Europe. Three years down the line and I'm still teaching and training to be a qualified teacher in my home country, and I can definitely thank TaLK for some of that.

• JC
    Norco, California
    Great experience if you're open minded.
    10/27/2011

Korea is a strange place. It is very advanced in technology in some aspects, and far behind in others. Culturally it is still in somewhat of the dark ages thanks to its unwillingness to evolve past the old ways of Confucianism. The TaLK program somewhat tries to prepare you for this as best a government run bureaucratic program can do. Since it's government run you get special benefits, but you also get inefficiency, ineptness, and apathy. It's hit or miss. You can have a great school in a great province to a terrible school in a horrible province. If you're open minded and adaptable, you'll survive and deal with the stresses and contradictions of Korea, its culture, and this government run program. You'll grow and have many great experience making lifelong friends. It's definitely not a vacation. It's work, but if you put in a lot, you'll get out a lot.

• YR1220
    Canton, Michigan
    Good-recommend to others
    10/27/2011

At the beginning of the program, I enjoyed the stay at the university. I met a lot of people and had no need to speak the language. Things were great! When I was moved out into my own province and my own city and apartment, things started to get difficult. Not knowing the language was choking me. With all that said though, the staff from the school was amazing. They sattisfied my every need and issue. They were always there when I had a problem, so this made life enjoyable and comfortable. My apartment was a mess from the previous scholar, but it didn't bother me much. I cleaned it up with my Korean co-teacher. She stayed up until 3 in the morning and helped me. I organized all of my stuff and turned the apartment into "my apartment". After all, this was going to be my home for the next 5 months. The time has passed by very quickly and I can't believe I only have 3 months left on my contract. Trips to Seoul, Samchuok, and other cities have been very enjoyable and you never feel like you have nothing to do. Gangneung has a river, which I walk along every night to clear my mind and breathe fresh air. This internship/scholarship program has offered me a great experience of teaching, culture and adventure. I highly recommend everyone to try it!

Useful: 1 Inspiring: 1
  • kim6722
    Yeongdeok, Gyeongbuk, South Korea
    Queen's University
    Doesn't get any better than this!
    10/04/2011

Although the day-to-day experiences can depend entirely on luck and how positive your own outlooks are, the experience as a whole is something unforgettable. The perks are undeniable, and the chance to work with children at your own pace is something I'm glad to be doing. It's been a great personal growth experience thus far (it's only been 2.5 months!) and the time has flown already!

• SerenaP
    Jeju, South Korea
    Redeemer University College
    Awesome Experience in South Korea!
    10/01/2011

TALK is such a wonderful program for anyone wanting to teach English in South Korea, especially for college students and college graduate who want to experience more of the world. The TALK program is a Korean government sponsored program, so the scholarship includes free housing and cultural field trips to learn more about Korea.

The schools where you teach are in the countryside, so it takes some time to travel to if you live in the city. But if you choose to live near your school, you can really develop relationships with the Korean community. The schools are often equipped with good technology and resources for teaching English.

The program requires you to only teach 15 hours a week, from Monday to Friday, so you have a lot of time to experience the culture, learn the language, and relax. It is also very easy and relatively cheap to travel to other Asian countries from Korea if you want to travel during your vacation.

Although you can certainly get around Korea with only knowing English, it would be great if you learn some Korean in order to communicate with the local people better and enjoy your stay in Korea better. The food is quite spicy compares to American food, so keep that in mind and be open-minded about trying new things. Korea is a fun place to be in because the Korean dramas and pop songs are very entertaining. Its fashion can be really cute. All in all, TALK is a great program to be in if you want to experience Korea and teach English to countryside students.

• TheWorldTraveler
    Charlotte, NC
    University of North Carolina - Charlotte
    Influentially fun
    09/30/2011

The work was fulfilling, being able to help children learn English, while doing it in a fun way. Help is available when you need it, and as long as you put an effort, in school and out, you'll have a great experience.

About the provider

The Teach and Learn in Korea (TaLK) Program invites young, adventurous college students and recent graduates to teach English to elementary school students living in the rural areas of South Korea. Funded by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology, the TaLK Program aims to cultivate a strong desire to learn English through the use of innovative and engaging classroom teaching methods designed by the our own program's participants. While teaching, participants will have the opportunity to learn about the many facets of Korean culture and find time to travel to distinct regions of the Korean peninsula. TaLK is the perfect program for those who aspire to be global leaders, who seek to gain personal and professional enrichment through teaching, and who are highly adaptable to new environments.