Global Volunteers - Volunteer Programs in Mexico

By Global Volunteers   Reviews (6)   93% Rating

Experience Mexico as a "non-tourist." Volunteers practice English in small groups with college students. The purpose is on for the students to learn conversational English, not grammar, so virtually anyone can be of service. Each class follows a syllabus and uses texts which guide the volunteers through daily lessons. Team members often add examples from their personal lives to liven up the conversations.

As with all Global Volunteers' English conversation classes, each volunteer instructs a class for four to six hours a day, and has the rest of the day to get ready for class and team meetings. Plenty of time is available to explore cultural and educational landmarks in the host community.

View Program Information
  • Mexico
Volunteer Types:
Program Length:
1-2 weeks
See site for details.
Age Group:
Cost Description:

These costs support the community's on-going English development programs, and also cover your meals, lodging, transportation within the work site, project expenses, administrative costs, and the services of a trained team leader. The service program cost does not cover free-time expenses, or your airfare or other travel to the host community. All costs, including airfare, are tax-deductible for U.S. tax-payers.

Leave a question about this program for our reviewers to answer.
Account Info
Great question! I'm sure you'll want to know when you get an answer, so tell us your email and we'll let you know. If you've previously created an account you can login in here.

Leave a Review
  • Pamela
    Irvine California
    Conversational English in Queretaro Mexico

I am a volunteer team leader for Global Volunteers. I have lead in Queretaro more than 8 times. I continue to return to Mexcio because I am committed to the philosphy of the organization which is to build relationships person at a time. We teach conversatinal English with students at UTEQ....a technical university in Queretaro. The students hope to find employment in industry in the Queretaro area and they know that being able to speak English will be a bonus on their resumes and in their interviews. Many of the students have never spoken with a native speaker...until they meet the volunteers. The students gain confidence when they realize the volunteers understand them and that the volunteers are not their to evaluate them but encourage them. The students are very enthusiastic and often build long term friendships with the volunteers they work with. Queretaro is an "alive" city with many interesting and exciting things to do during the day/evening and of course the weekends. The restaurants are an adventure to tempt the taste buds of everyone. As a team leader I have built wonderful friendships with the team members....many who return year after see "their students" and the staff at the university. Our host says she believes the success of her English department and the success of the students weighs heavily on their interaction with the volunteers. I am always excited when I receive an email from a former student who says "I DID IT" ....meaning....they got their first job after college....and they "did it" in English.

• Pat-ti
    Long Beach
    Learning is reciprocal

I wish all Americans could spend 2 weeks with the university students in Queretero ..... the school is more comparable to our junior colleges with students studying computer programing, marketing, business, etc. All recognize the need to know English; it is seen as a condition of employment and advancement. Many of our stereotypes are dispelled as see the long hours the students work/study, the number of global companies located in the city, the safety of city that allows night time visits to the plaza for music and coffee, or a performance at their concert hall. The people are embracing and eager to know us Norte Americanos - and our language.

• Gary
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Global Volunteers' Dolores Hidalgo and Querétaro Programs

Having done both the Dolores Hidalgo and Queretaro programs I highly recommend both. I thoroughly enjoyed my experiences at U.T.N.G. in Dolores Hidalgo and U.T.E.Q. in Queretaro. The staff and especially the students at both locations were wonderful. It was so easy to get hooked into teaching English to these students. They are extremely charming, appreciative, and warm. The G.V. team leaders that I had were always very knowledgeable and supportive. I've made serious friends both American and Mexican through my G.V. experiences in Mexico. The history and culture of the state of Guanajuato where both Dolores Hidalgo and Queretaro are located are truly fascinating. The opportunities to explore the surrounding areas such as the city of Guanajuato, San Miguel de Allende, Pena de Bernal, and Minerales de Pozos on the free weekend are truly wonderful.

• Laura
    San Francisco
    Mexico program - a positive, unforgettable experience

Although the program I participated in in the late '90's was based in Guanajuato, I see that many elements of the current program are similar. I very much enjoyed being a "conversation partner' with a small group of students, rather than being a classroom teacher. My conversations with the students put a real human face on a country I was eager to get to know better. The length of time in the classroom (4-6 hours daily) allowed us plenty of time to see the local sights, and prepare for the next day's lessons. The volunteers enjoyed a group excursion to San Miguel de Allende during the weekend between teaching weeks. The folks at the university, and in town, were very hospitable. My fellow volunteers were very compatible.

• Lifelonglearner
    University of Minnesota
    Global Volunteers - Volunteer Teaching Programs in Mexico

Dolores Hidalgo is a very calm worksite. The Teachers at the Technical School were very friendly and appreciate of our efforts with their students. At first, the students are very shy and really hang back from using their English. But after a bit, they wade in and give it a try. Some teachers had lessons they wanted the volunteers to use. A few wanted the volunteers to "go it alone." The students are extremely polite and respectful. Many are first generation college students so as volunteers, we can really make a difference in their learning and our own.

About the provider

Global Volunteers, a non-profit organization, has been giving short-term volunteers the chance to provide essential services to local people on service programs since 1984. Volunteering under the direction of local leaders, team members form groundwork for international peace via common, global understanding. Our goal is to sustain authentic development projects with the host community and give volunteers wide opportunities to help.

Since 1984, over 30,000 people have volunteered with Global Volunteers in 34 different countries. Visit our website to learn more about how to join this movement and become a Global Volunteer!