Global Volunteers - Volunteer Programs in Romania

By Global Volunteers   Reviews (7)   97% Rating

Global Volunteers' Romanian presence began in 2004 concentrating on helping at-risk and disabled children improve their access to social, educational, health, and security resources. We are seeking volunteers to look after orphaned and impoverished young children and to teach English in middle and high schools in Barlad, Romania. Whatever their home situation may be, babies, toddlers, and adolescents appreciate encouragement and affection from adults. Volunteers can help add to a lifetime of development and improve young lives!
Global Volunteers partners with three local organizations:
* St. Nicholas Childrens' Hospital: specializing in care of underweight, disabled and abandoned babies
* Child Protective Services: operates safe places and stimulating atmospheres for vulnerable kids throughout Vaslui County.
* Vaslui Department of Education: promoting opportunites for teachers and students to practice conversational English

Program Info

Age Group:
14-18
50+
Cost Description:

Program fees, based on the GV's costs, include food, accommodations, transportation within projects, project costs, administrative expenses, and support from Global Volunteers staff. The rest of the costs are used to support the continued development of host communities. Discounts are available for students, family and multi-person groups, and returning volunteers. Free-time activities, airfare or other travel are not included in the fees. All expenses are tax-deductible for U.S. tax-payers.

Languages:

Sydney, Australia
    Deakin University
    Loving Romania
    04/21/2015

I've done this program 3 times now, I'm from Australia. I absolutely love it. The impact of what we do can be seen straight away, with kids responding positively very quickly. I've seen children sit up, smile, become interested in their surroundings and so on within two weeks. One highlight this trip was a child learning my name. Our hosts are local people with huge hearts who work tirelessly and consistently - and they're fun, too! All fun times are what you make them, and can be found in attempting the language or in the antics of the kids. We were perfectly safe at all times. Equally as important, the coffee is great! ;)

Be aware that no matter how fit or young you are, you will be extraordinarily tired by the end of your very worthwhile trip. This is normal. Plan some recovery days!

How could this program be improved?

I'd like to see more promotion of this program. To know that there is not a follow up team to the one I'm on is heartbreaking. These amazing kids deserve consistent care.

Useful: 0 Inspiring: 0
  • Kurt Jacobson
    Eau Claire, WI
    Putting Lots of Meaning in a Volunteer Travel Experience
    03/15/2012

In 2003 I enjoyed two weeks in Barlad and felt like I made a difference teaching English to middle school students and tending to the young children at Tutova Hospital. Each day was filled with meaning and satisfaction and offered opportunity to form relationships and experience the local culture. The GV leader and staff that I encountered were well prepared to handle volunteers and their friendliness and support made a great experience even richer.

I highly recommend Global Volunteers to you if you're looking for a meaningful travel experience combined with beneficial service and authentic cultural connection.

Useful: 3 Inspiring: 3
  • Tutova Mama
    New York, NY
    Great for the solo traveler. A rewarding experience.
    03/14/2012

I volunteered in Tutova twice and continue to support the program.
    It was a pivotal and rewarding experience. As a busy professional I do not have much time for volunteer work at home. I loved GV because in two weeks I could give back to society in a concentrated effort. I made lifelong friends with several of my fellow volunteers. As a female solo traveler, GV is terrific because it enables one to travel to "exotic" or off-the beaten path regions and meet up with like-minded travelers/volunteers. The team leader Mihaela in Romania is terrific and English speaking. The work with the children was the most memorable, emotionally hard and most enjoyable vacation of my life.
    Hard to believe diapering, running after children, dressing children and picking up toys would be a vacation but it was the best for me!

• Robin
    Brentwood, CA
    A Memorable Experience
    03/14/2012

I spent 3 weeks at the Tutova Clinic working with the infants there and found it a heartwarming and fulfilling time. The Global Volunteer staff was wonderful as well as the clinic employees. Even though I was sick with a cold for a few days I had excellent care. Weekend excursions were a lot of fun, especially the trip to the painted monasteries. All in all a wonderful experience which i hope to repeat someday.

• Joan McInnes
    Denver, Colorado
    The impact of Global Volunteers' in Romania
    03/14/2012

I have volunteered in Romania twice both teaching conversational English in the high school and nurturing babies in the orphanage. My first trip was part of the second team there. Prior to that, the babies in the orphanage had been confined to their beds 24 hours a day, with time out for only 4 diaper changes, 4 propped bottle feedings and a bath. There was almost no human touch. They were silent and didn't know how to laugh or cry. Two women and a nurse cared for 32 babies and did all the laundry by hand. On my return two years later, the changes were dramatic. Through contributions by Global Volunteers, three more people had been hired and an industrial size washer and dryer had been installed. Because the babies had been nurtured by 22 more teams of volunteers, they were laughing, crying, talking, walking, running, crawling, eating solid food, just like normal babies.
    In the high school, I had a group of six students who were eager to learn and oh so smart. One student wrote this about about Americans. "I must admit that before we met you, our image of Americans was a rather cold one: greedy unscrupulous people whose only interest is money. I'm happy to say that you definitely changed that image for us. Thank you for reviving all our expectations, hopes and dreams of living in a better world, beliefs we thought to be so deep inside us that they could never see the light or spread outside our minds." I think that says it all. If you're looking to make a difference, a Global Volunteers experience is for you.

• Steve
    Manheim, Pennsylvania
    University of California- Santa Barbara
    Make a Difference in a Child's Life
    01/24/2012

I have served on a Global Volunteers team in Romania every year (two weeks every September) for the past thirteen years. This is such a worthwhile and unique program.
    Volunteers serve in a hospital by assisting in the care of children. This consists of things such as feeding children and playing with them. A stream of volunteers throughout the year helps to provide these children to develop through their formative years.
    It would be hard to think of a better way to experience a country than to work for and serve the residents.
    The Global Volunteers team managers in Romania are lifelong residents of the community where volunteers serve. They are of great assistance to the volunteers and also care for the children greatly.

Useful: 1 Inspiring: 2
  • dannied
    New Castle, CO
    Wonderful experience caring for children that are having a tough time.
    01/24/2012

I have been on the Global Volunteer trip to Romania 4 times in the last 10 years. Romania is such a beautiful country with so much culture and history. Unfortunately, some of the political problems of the last 50 years have left the country unable to care for some of the children.
    Volunteers spend their day holding, feeding and nurturing children. The country managers have organized all the details for volunteers (meals, transportation, language training, free time activities). The children really thrive with the volunteer's attention. Making a difference in these lives is the greatest gift.

About the provider

Global Volunteers, a non-profit organization, has been giving short-term volunteers the chance to provide essential services to local people on service programs since 1984. Volunteering under the direction of local leaders, team members form groundwork for international peace via common, global understanding. Our goal is to sustain authentic development projects with the host community and give volunteers wide opportunities to help.

Since 1984, over 30,000 people have volunteered with Global Volunteers in 34 different countries. Visit our website to learn more about how to join this movement and become a Global Volunteer!