Affordable Volunteer Programs in Romania from US$370

Affordable Volunteer Programs in Romania from US$370

IVHQ's local team in Romania is always in need of great volunteers! Volunteers can choose from a variety of meaningful projects including Teaching, Special Needs Care, Agriculture, NGO Support and Animal Care. IVHQ volunteers enjoy discounted Romanian and Hungarian language lessons during their time in Romania. Programs can be taken anywhere from one week to 24 weeks with programs starting at US$370 for one week.

Current IVHQ Volunteer Projects in Romania:

• Teaching
  • Special Needs Care
  • Childcare
  • After School Support
  • Agriculture
  • NGO Support

• Programs are available year-round in Romania at affordable prices starting at US$335 for 1 week
  • The IVHQ Romania program starts on the first and third Monday of every month and volunteers can join for 1 week up to 24 weeks.
  • Projects are based in and around Miercurea Ciuc in eastern Transylvania
  • Romania program fees includes airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period and in-country 24/7 volunteer support.
  • A special one week program is available for those after an introduction to Romania and volunteering
  • Based in the rebounded Transylvania region of Romania volunteers have no shortage of gothic castles, outdoor activities and breathtaking scenery to soak up in their free time and weekends.
  • Read the great reviews IVHQ alumni have left about their experiences in the Romania, and visit the IVHQ website to start planning your trip!
  • A special one week program is available for those after an introduction to the Philippines and volunteering
Europe » Romania
Romania Program Fees include airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period and in-country 24/7 volunteer support.

Clara
Singapore
Oklahoma City University

Volunteering in Romania

Clara Wee, Singapore
Afterschool Club Volunteer
IVHQ Romania Program

I recently returned from an incredible 4-week volunteering experience in Miercurea Ciuc (Csikszereda), a city in the Harghita county of Romania, with a predominantly Hungarian population. The Szekely community as a whole was amazingly hospitable, its people friendly and accepting. As an Asian (they don’t get many Asians in this part of the country), I always stood out but this was also a great opportunity to share about myself and my country with the people (locals, volunteers, children and carers at my placement) I met.

(Note to future volunteers – bring along maps and photos from home. This is a great way to break the ice with locals and fellow volunteers. You will have many opportunities to whip out those materials).

The good folks at Care2Travel (local NGO team for the IVHQ Program) are a great team. They are passionate about their work in the community they operate in and have put in a lot of effort to provide a comprehensive orientation program, resources (like teaching guides, materials, props, etc.) and support to volunteers to maximize their effectiveness in their placements. The team is also very happy to provide suggestions on how you can spend your weekends/free time and a great source of help for anything you might need while in-country.

I was placed in two Afterschool clubs in the nearby villages of Szentegyhaza and Kapolnas (about 60-75minutes outside Miercurea Ciuc). The children, aged between 6 to 15, who attend the clubs are from disadvantaged backgrounds; many of them from Roma families. My role included teaching basic English, helping the children with their English homework, preparing fun games and activities to engage the children, and providing general support to the carer of the club. You don’t have to be able to speak Hungarian before you start your volunteer stint but it is good to pick up some basic words and phrases while you are here.

The first couple of sessions with the children were challenging – some children need more time than others to warm up to a stranger. The language barrier didn't help either. Many of the children, especially the younger ones, know little or no English and a few were reluctant to use it even though they could. However, it is extremely rewarding once the children feel comfortable enough with you to want you to play with them (expect to play lots of foci or just kicking a ball around), demand you sit next to them at meal/snack time, or come to you wanting extra time to practice/learn English or simply responding to you when you interact with them. The children would also try to teach me Hungarian while I tried teaching them English. This mutual learning process works well and is a source of much laughter and fun.

It has been an interesting and memorable experience to learn about the history and culture of this beautiful country. Romania has lots of fascinating cities, sights and activities to offer visitors. As it is not as popular a tourist destination (yet) as other Central/Eastern European countries, it is relatively cheap to travel in Romania.

I would also recommend volunteering to everyone, regardless of age or background. If you want to be more than just a tourist, if you want to immerse yourself in the culture of a country and give a little something back to the country you are visiting – volunteer! Go with an open heart and open mind, be willing to learn and adapt to your environment. You won’t regret the experience.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Clara, Thanks for sharing your awesome review of our volunteer program in Romania! We are thrilled to hear that you had an incredible volunteer experience and were able to connect with the locals, volunteers, children and carers you met while on the program. Thanks for providing excellent advice and for encouraging everyone, regardless of age or background, to try volunteering abroad. We have loved having you volunteer with us and hope you will join us again in the future.
Kaila - IVHQ Romania Program Manager

Fatema
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

After school project

I am glad that I applied to volunteer with IVHQ Program - after school activity program. In this one week program I felt that I gain more than what I gave. My volunteer program was more than what I expected, and I learned a lot from the local people and the members of Care2Travel. While volunteering at the after school club I thought that as a parent, I am aware of methods of dealing with kids, but I realized that how much we know is never too much. The program helped me to have insightful perspective and thoughts about Romania, the culture, and the abroad volunteer programs.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Fatema, Thanks for sharing. We are glad to hear that you learned a lot from your experience in Romania and that the program exceeded your expectations. Thanks for being an IVHQer!
Kaila – IVHQ Romania Program Manager

Rachel
Romania
University of Strathclyde

Care2Travel summer camps review

My summer working with the charity Care2Travel through IVHQ was one of the best experiences of my life. The children I worked with were so enthusiastic and grateful as well as being very cute. You felt like you were truly making a difference. But personally, I received many benefits myself including making some of my best friends while working in Romania. We bonded so well that what started off as a joke, resulted in me and two other girls from around the world all getting matching friendship tattoos. This is a memory I treasure and constantly reminds me of my amazing time there and the people who contributed to creating fun summer camps and joining in some crazy weekend activities too.

I really struggled to think of anything I would change as to me, it was perfect. Perhaps more emphasis put on learning Hungarian prior to arrival.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Rachel,
Sounds like you had an amazing time - thanks for sharing your review and photos! IVHQ are so glad that you found the program beneficial and that you made friends for life! We hope to see you on another IVHQ program in the future. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Jayesh
Mumbai, India

Volunteering - Joy in every sense possible

The program was deliberately structured, every representative of host organization clearly knew about his or her assigned responsibilities. People were helpful, I felt as if I am with my distant family. Everyone including children was so polite and open to learn, indeed everyone was actively receptive. I found the program not only congruent to my volunteering aspirations but also cognate to all fun activities that one would envy do relish. I would certainly look forward to engross in the program next summer.

Not much, honestly I found the program well developed.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Jayesh,
Thanks for the great review and for sharing you photos with us. It is so great that your volunteering experience was fun and met all of your aspirations. We con't wait to have you on another IVHQ program soon!

Ece
İstanbul, Turkey

My Experience with IVHQ in Romania

Considering that it was my first time volunteering, I had the best time in Romania! I got to meet wonderful children and as I was trying to teach them, I realised that I was learning a lot from them. Also, I made a lot of international friends and having the opportunity to learn different cultures was definitely one of the best aspects of this experience. For sure, I couldn't have such an amazing time if I didn't go there with IVHQ, since both IVHQ and the local foundation in Romania (Care2Travel) were always so supportive and helpful. Lastly, this volunteering trip absolutely took me out of my comfort zone and made me see different aspects of life that I couldn't have seen otherwise. Would recommend to everyone!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Ece, Thanks for the feedback. It's great to hear that you had such a memorable time while volunteering on our program in Romania. Great photos as well. Thanks being an IVHQer and we hope to have you back on another program soon.

IVHQ (International Volunteer HQ) provides safe, unique, meaningful and extremely affordable volunteer programs in 35+ countries around the world, with a constantly expanding base. Programs are available in Asia, Africa, Europe, Central America, South America and the Pacific, where IVHQ works alongside local NGOs to