Most Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in Romania from $360

Field Trip
Miercurea Ciuc
Miercurea Ciuc
Church

Trusted by 90,000+ volunteers, IVHQ offers the most popular volunteer programs in Romania and 40+ other destinations around the world.

You can choose from 6 volunteer project options in Romania and give back for periods ranging from 1 week to 24 weeks. Your Program Fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in a volunteer apartment, with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

IVHQ is trusted to support the meaningful adventures of thousands of volunteers every year, so before you even depart for Romania, you’ll receive outstanding personalized service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager and exclusive access to superior pre-departure volunteer training.

With IVHQ, you can expect to establish real connections within the local community while supporting projects that make a genuine difference.

Current IVHQ Volunteer Projects in Romania:

• Teaching
  • Special Needs Care
  • Childcare
  • After School Support
  • Agriculture
  • NGO Support
  • IVHQ’s Romania program is available year-round, starting on the first and third Monday of every month
  • Highly affordable program fees starting from $330 - IVHQ provides the most affordable and top-rated programs
  • You’ll be joining between 5 and 10 other IVHQ volunteers who start in Romania each month
  • You’ll be traveling with IVHQ, the volunteer travel experts, and joining a network of 90,000+ volunteers. Our outstanding safety systems and track record set us apart, we are the world’s safest organization
  • Your efforts will have a positive impact because our programs are community-driven with a focus on supporting long-term local needs

Addie

Volunteering in Romania with Care2Travel through IVHQ

Go Overseas...Go to Romania...Seriously do it!
This was honestly such a great experience! I applied through IVHQ to volunteer in Romania for 2 weeks but I loved it so much I extended another week and if I hadn't had any further travels I would have extended longer. The highlight of my volunteering through Care2Travel was Summer Camp! I didn't know a lot about Romania before travelling there but as a destination it has so many amazing things to offer. The people, the food, the landscapes - everything is just amazing! I can't recommend highly enough the team at Care2Travel. They were so helpful with anything at all and all the information provided before and during my stay was so comprehensive. You feel so welcomed and with the projects themselves you feel like you are contributing to a greater cause - whatever language challenges I faced with the kids on Summer Camp, the smiles and laughs really make it worth it!!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Addie, thanks for your review of our Romania program. It's great to hear that you have such a rewarding experience. The effort you put into your contribution to the project is greatly appreciated. We look forward to having you volunteer with IVHQ again soon! ^Claire - IVHQ Romania Program Manager

Mae

First-time volunteering abroad in Romania thru IVHQ

I’m a first-time volunteer to a foreign country and naturally, I was very anxious and nervous to do something that I don’t know. But, from the time I decided to go through with the program, to the requirements and all preparations given, to meeting the local Romanian team, to experiencing the work I had to do for my placement and up until the time I had to leave...I was only made to feel cared for and safe the entire time, by every single person involved with IVHQ and the Care2Travel (local IVHQ team). I only had a week even, but it felt like a month because there was always something to do and there was never a boring time. We even had the chance to meet and interact with the locals, which was such a nice experience, specially getting to know their history and culture. Plus, I had the opportunity to see one of the highest points in Romania in it’s beautiful autumn weather! I was certainly able to do two things I like all at the same time and in such an affordable price. With the fee I paid for, I had absolutely no problem with the accommodations, the supply of food and had so much more extra pocket money left for mini-tours and souvenirs to bring back home. All worth the decision to go and all worth the time spent each day being there. I did not expect how organized and professional the whole process was from start to finish and I have no doubts at all in recommending to volunteer thru IVHQ to anyone—specially choosing Romania. It is not a country that most people would even think of visiting but it surely was worth looking into the first time I saw it on the list of available programs I wanted. (ie, agriculture). Personally, it is the perfect place and the best team to take on a first-time volunteer. I can’t say that my short stay has allowed me to change the world with the help I did. But...it has given me a good taste of volunteering and it is why I am considering on doing this often—maybe then, I’ll get a chance to change the world a little bit more each time.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I only had a week to volunteer, so I would definitely choose to stay longer next time.
Athari

Something different this summer

I wanted a change this summer. This year was about giving back, doing something for someone else. To be a part of something bigger than myself. So next thing I know I am booking a sustainable agriculture volunteer program in Romania for a week, through IVHQ and Care2Travel. This was just a taster, I didn’t want to get ahead of myself as it was the first time I was completely travelling alone.

Getting ready for this I was nervous and anxious, questioning if I’d made the right decision and it wasn’t too late to back down. All I could think about was; I am about to go to a country I have never been to before, live with people I have never met before. Am I going to get along with the people there? is this program the right fit for me? will I make a difference in such a short period of time?

The moment I stepped into the airport I was welcomed by Inu our driver and three other volunteers arriving on the same day as me. By the end of a five-hour drive most of my anxieties had melted off by the conversation flow and nestled in the mountains was Miercurea Ciuc. We dropped our bags at the accommodation made quick introductions and joined some other volunteers in discovering the town, it was the ‘potato festival’. There were food stalls, lights and live music, we even ended up dancing with a local gypsy.

The first day was orientation day, it was time to properly introduce ourselves to one another and go over the details of the town and work schedule. Awkwardness, the first fifteen minutes then someone cracks a joke, then tension from that moment melts away.

When I reached my placement and I first laid eyes at the community garden I was daunted it was huge project there was so much to do. Our volunteer leaders Peter and Jackie were full of reassurance and help telling us that they were open to our ideas and that our input no matter how small was significant. So sleeves were rolled up and days were spent in the community garden getting everything back into shape, ploughing, digging and weeding under the sun, with a cup of tea here and there. After work the day was mine. I managed to experience aerial yoga for the first time, chimney cake, family style dinner with my fellow volunteers and also my first tattoo.

At the end of my stay I could already see a difference in the garden it looked as if it were up and running. There was that enormous sense of achievement. The last night of my program was the icing on the cake. All of us had huddled up near a fire making smores underneath the stars, talking about our journeys, dreams and goals.

All of those fear and worries were uncalled for because at the end of the volunteer program I honestly came out of it getting more than I expected. It truly changed me. I came out with friends and an appreciation towards finding a common goal even though we all came from different back grounds. The only regret I have is, I wish I had stayed a little longer…

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Me and a mother volunteer rented some mountain bikes and went site seeing near the hill sides and for the first time in my life i saw a buffalo.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Athari, it was extremely heartwarming to read your review on our program in Romania and our exceptional local team. Traveling solo can cause some anxiety, but I'm so glad to read that you felt welcomed and supported from the moment you arrived. Thanks for your contribution in this community and we hope to welcome you back soon! ^Claire - IVHQ Romania Program Manager

Diane

South Yorkshire Girl Guides

Our group was younger than most volunteers, 7 girls aged 13-15 and their 3 leaders.
The volunteer programme had been well thought out to ensure that the girls were able to fully participate as indeed they did!
I hope that the trip has made memories that the girls will carry with them always and that they have left a positive impression on the local community we worked with.
They also gained a lot from meeting and interacting with the other volunteers on the programme - both local and international and with volunteers on different programmes that were staying in the accommodation. Transylvania is a beautiful part of the world with good weather and some fantastic scenery.
Your comments minimum limit is too long - I'm sure you don't get as many comments as you might when an essay is required before you can post!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
We saw a mother bear and her three cubs on a trip to Santa Ana Lake.
Matt

My experience of the IVHQ Animal Care project in Romania

My trip to Romania was a very last minute one having only applied 2 weeks before my placement at the animal shelter was due to start. The reason for my late application was that i had been deliberating over whether to apply or not due to a mix of nervousness and not knowing what the experience would entail. Inspite of this, i decided to go ahead and apply to the animal shelter project in Romania with IVHQ in partnership with care2travel and having just finished my time there, my only regret would be not spending longer at this incredible place and program.

With regard to the support surrounding the placement, i was picked up from the airport as soon as i arrived by one of the care2travel staff named Orsi who was incredibly welcoming and made me feel at ease straight away. Then, having arrived at the accommodation, which was situated in the centre of Miercurea Ciuc. I was impressed by a large courtyard surrounded by rustic buildings with generously sized rooms. In terms of my expenses, there were very little as not only was i able to request groceries for the house which was included in the program fee for breakfast and dinner, but lunch was also provided at a local restaurant. The restaurant offered a large variety of food for all different requirements including a range of local delicacies. As a result the only expenses that you will experience will be either for drinks at one of the local bars or cafés such as grund which was my personal favourite, or if you decide to do one of many afternoon experiences such as horse riding, adventure activities, cookery along with a host of other options which care2travel offer in partnership with locals in order to facilitate their ideals of sustainable tourism.

In terms of my time at the Pro Animalia animal shelter, i could not do the experience justice. Prior to applying, one of my main concerns was, being a huge dog person, whether i would be able to cope with the experience emotionally. As i thought i would, i became very close with several of the dogs, particularly one of the puppies named jeremiah. However, i quicky realised during my placement that they were receiving a very high standard of care which indeed is made possible with the help of volunteers such as yourselves. Therefore i understood that the best way to further help the dogs is to give them lots of affection and to encourage others who are on the fence about joining to further help the dogs at the shelter.

One of the things that i most enjoyed about the experience was that the staff were very flexible in terms of how i helped at the shelter. For instance i have a passion for photography and the staff encouraged me to use this skill set to take photos of the dogs for their website. My main role however was to socialise the puppies and young dogs. Although the majority of the puppies were very playful, there were several more timid dogs which can limit the likelihood of their adoption thus socialising these dogs early on their development is key. The importance of early socialisation is furthered by the fact that once a dog has found a new home, not only is it amazing for the dog but it also opens up space for the shelter to help other dogs who are in difficult situations. I am pleased to say that by the end of my week, i noticed several of the more timid dogs feeling more comfortable to interact with myself and the other volunteers. Better still i’ve heard from the volunteers who have stayed on that the dogs are making even more progress.

Overall, i had an incredible experience throughout my time in Romania both in terms of my experience at the shelter itself as well as meeting so many amazing volunteers from across the world. Therefore i would highly recommend this IVHQ program to anybody as not only will you he helping a very worthy project but i’m sure that you will also have an amazing personal experience in Romania.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would have stayed longer as i was only there for one week. Although i got so much out of the experience, i wish that i could have stayed in Romania and helped for longer.
Jessica

An incredible experience!

My experience with IVHQ and Care2travel Romania was absolutely incredible!
I was lucky enough to join the animal care program in Romania for 2 weeks, it was absolutely unreal, every day I was with these adorable puppies and dogs, I had to pinch myself because it felt too good to be true. In addition to my new fur friends, I also met some truly amazing people and have made lifelong friends. Romania is a real hidden gem of Europe, the country is so beautiful and I am so grateful that I had the opportunity to visit, I will definitely be back! I cannot fault IVHQ or Care2travel Romania, everyone made the experience so easy and enjoyable for all of us volunteers. My only regret is not being able to stay longer, I did not want to leave! You will not regret joining this program.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
The 2 week program was great, but if I were to do it again, I would stay at least 3 weeks to enjoy more weekend time exploring the beautiful country.
Garry

IVHQ trip to Romania

This is my first time trying volunteering overseas, really wasn't sure what to expect and basically decided to keep my mind open for an one-week short try.

The IVHQ program is very well organized from beginning to end. Before I completed the registration for the program in Romania, I had fair amount of questions (as you can imagine), there has always been quick responses to my questions and the website actually provides almost all details I needed to know, only wish I read things more carefully.

The local team welcomed me at the airport with a pleasant ride to Miercurea Cuic as a great start. Once the program started, I got to help with the back office activities as part of the NGO assignment and visited a couple of schools with the team. I felt the local team work together like a family, everyone does have the passion for what they do, and there's a lot of care for the volunteers from overseas.

Overall, I have to say I am impressed even with just one week of staying, wish I had signed up for something longer to get to know the local culture more and work with the local team a bit more too. Big THANK YOU to Peter, Orsi, Jackie, Norbi and other folks from the Care2Travel team, you guys make all good things happen, I will miss you guys so much! :)

Garry

Give yourself a bit more time (at least 2-3 weeks) to fully adopt the environment and build connections with everyone, it is a fun place and people are very friendly. Enjoy! :)
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for your awesome feedback, Garry! I'm glad to hear you had such a great time in Romania and we hope you will be back to join us again soon. It's clear the local team loved the time you spent volunteering with them and I'm glad you did too :) Meika - IVHQ Program Manager.

Teresa

A unique volunteer experience in Romania 🇷🇴

I volunteered with IVHQ in Romania 🇷🇴 from Jan 20th to Feb 1st for 2 weeks - overall it was an amazing experience that was somehow a lot more than I expected. The local organization is Care2travel with very supportive and helpful staff, which is a non-profit association that literally places the volunteers in the appropriate positions in terms of local practical needs.

The project I worked on was Agriculture, at that time we were dealing with a solar panel heating with the use of black-painted cans which encourages air exchange when it heats up, which was an idea of energy converting that could be unfolded in many ways.

We were also able to have a chance to communicate with the local volunteers via the platform of English Club, hanging out with wonderful people, thus knowing the rich culture & beauty of Csikszereda this very special place as a whole a lot better.
Plus highly recommend Csiksomlyói the skiing place with ski slopes, somewhere between elementary and intermediate, which was worth going with reasonable price and kind instructors.

I have experienced and gained a lot by volunteering in Romania with amazing scenery and friendly people that is rare to find on many other occasions.
Highly recommend to anyone who wants a fulfilling and meaningful experience.

Skiing is so much fun! Knowing about Csikszereda and its rich history is also amazing :)
Amy

A Good Start for a New Volunteer

When first landing, I was scared. This was my first time travelling and I was doing it alone, I had certainly gone all out for my first time. However, when the team picked me up I was soon completely at ease. In fact by the end of the first day I felt like I was home. My stay was amazing here. The accommodation was nice and shopping was done twice a week and volunteers could do up a list to plan meals. The Dog shelter that I was working was well maintained and there was always someone there if you needed help or didn't know what to do next.

The night after returning home, I found myself missing this place. I wanted to go back and stay longer. I highly recommend this place for new and old volunteers as it bow holds some of the best moments in my life.

Right now, I just can't think of anything to improve upon.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for your review Amy! I'm so glad that even though you were nervous about travelling alone at first, the local team put you at ease as soon as you arrived. Romania is an incredible country and it's great that you felt so at home here. Your work on the Animal Care project is much appreciated and I hope you volunteer with us again soon! Meika - IVHQ Program Manager.

Jared

Volunteering Abroad in Transylvania

I served as an NGO support volunteer in Romania for four weeks. This was an immensely positive experience and I gain a deeper sense of appreciation for volunteer work and cultural exposure. IVHQ proved to be a very effective platform for the discovery of such a wonderful opportunity, and I was the recipient of steady support and encouragement from their team. They were quick to answer any questions that I had and I was impressed with their outreach to ensure that I was having an enjoyable experience while on site.

While I was in Romania, I worked with the association Care2Travel, which is a local humanitarian aid group whose intentions are to invigorate the community and inspire them to serve those around them. Care2Travel is staffed with dedicated, hard-working, compassionate people, and it was a privilege to work with all of them. They were all very helpful and kind in helping me feel welcome and useful, and the work that they asked me to complete was meaningful.

Because of this experience, I grew to be more patient and flexible. Even if I was unsure of how to complete a task, I never felt afraid to ask questioins which further developed my confidence and resolve to do my best. I was humbled and inspired by the opportunities to serve in whichever capacity I was needed, which made me feel like a valued member of the team.

I am very grateful for the time that I had in Romania and I will never forget it. I made wonderful new friends, enjoyed beautiful Romanian sites, learned about a new culture, and identified ways in which I could grow to be a better person. A program that allows for all of this to be achieved is truly exceptional.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for your review! I'm so glad to hear you had such a wonderful experience in Romania and will never forget the experience you had and friends you made. Romania truly is beautiful and I hope you volunteer with us again soon. Meika - IVHQ Program Manager.

Read my full story
Suzanne

4 weeks in Romania

My IVHQ program in Romania was an amazing experience. While the program was located in a small town in Romania, Hungarians made up most of the population, so this was the primary language of the area. We were able to experience everyday life, and had the chance to meet locals through the weekly English conversation groups.

For my placement I was in the Special Needs program, which was a short walk from the volunteer accommodation. This program serves young adults, and helps them with tasks such as cooking, household chores, and language development. There was also other fun activities like a weekly dance class. All the clients received a weekly physical therapy session, and since I am a licensed physical therapist in the US, I was able to provide PT services, which was my motivation in volunteering. Everyone at this day program, with the exception of a few program leaders, spoke only Hungarian. While this was a little discouraging/difficult at first, it did not prevent me from assisting with daily tasks or providing PT services.

As for the volunteer accommodation, the apartment was very clean, and all the volunteers quickly connected, making it a welcoming environment. The accommodation is located on the main street of the town, and just about everything is walkable, including the train station.

The local staff was always available and joined us in events such as bowling, socializing at restaurants, and weekly group dinners. I highly recommend this program.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for your thorough review Suzanne! It's awesome to hear you had such an amazing time on the program and were able to help in the specific field you were hoping to, your PT skills would have been such an asset to the program. I hope you will be back to volunteer with us again in the future! Meika - IVHQ Program Manager

Robert

Romanian Fun Adventure

Just an incredible experience from the beginning to the end. I was met with a driver that carried a clearly marked sign and a big smile. From the moment he picked me up and the 4 hour drive to the acommendations, he was informative and so friendly. Additionally, he offer me a snack on a short stop on the way. Sunday, as schedule the representitive gave an outline of the following weeks over coffee at a charming street cafe. I volunteered to work on an Agriculture project and later volunteered my help with summer camps of school age kids. It was fun to see the smiles and experience their curiousity. I was the old guy in the group but never felt old. I was amazed of the experience and energy the young volunteers had. I was included in the many activities on or off of the camps including cleaning up gardens, barbecues, mountain hiking, observing bears, making cheese, and meetings at the local meeting places. I highly recommend the experience but spend enough time to get to know the locals. They are so friendly and humble, wow a stay in Transylvania, how exciting.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Robert, thanks for your awesome review! I'm so glad you enjoyed your time in Romania and it definitely seems as though you made the most of your time in every way possible. It will be great to have you volunteer with us again soon. Meika - IVHQ Program Manager.

Yuran

Awesome, innovative, worthwhile.

Using limited energy and vitality to try new things and discover different possible answers is what I am willing to do all the time.

I just can't believe that I did so many amazing things during my 3-week journey in Romania. I just made these all happen: Volunteer abroad, teach English, play with kids, make friends and communicate with people from diverse backgrounds, get out of my comfort zone and seize every magic-filled minute in Romania.

Days flew so fast that I am still thinking that I am in Romania, I am with my homies. It is just like a dream, which is too perfect.

3-week time in Romania brings me not only so many adorable friends but also an opportunity to truly get to know the big world. I was so lucky to get a chance to see how the world is. I feel like this wonderful experience made me have courage to straightly face the big world and made me realize I can also change the big big world by making small changes.

"Awesome, innovative, worthwhile." I can assure that it is really rewarding beyond words.

Thanks Care2Travel and IVHQ for letting me be A true ivhqer.

Set more platforms for Chinese people to know Care2Travel.
Waleed

I will definitely repeat this amazing adventure soon!

It was a great experience with IVHQ Romania, Miercurea Ciuc. I chose the "after school support" program, and it was right choice for me. I've achieved my ambition to volunteer and teach children and play with them in a nice atmosphere, with the kindness of the locals, and a free time to enjoy the rest of the day in a pub, or dining with my volunteer group. It was really a wonderful and useful experience

Maybe through increasing the period of the summer camp, which is in the time being is 1 week, so that volunteers will spend more time with the same group of children. I think this for both sides' convenience and benefit.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Waleed, thanks for your excellent review. It's wonderful to see you had such a smooth transition into your volunteer experience in Romania. We look forward to having you back to volunteer with IVHQ soon. ^Meika - IVHQ Romania Program Manager

Callie

Great time in Romania!

My trip to Romania was a great experience! The local team was very supportive, and very focused on helping foreign volunteers make a positive, ethical impact on the community. They also gave us many opportunities to interact with local people which greatly enriched my experience. My project at the dog shelter was wonderful. The shelter was a very human and worthy organization, and the conditions were quite good. The staff was friendly and accommodating, and the work was enjoyable as well as meaningful. Romania is a beautiful country with lots of scenic beauty and friendly people. IVHQ made the experience that much better by being well-organized and readily available to address my questions and concerns. I also felt assured that they had a genuine commitment to ethical volunteering. I felt supported from beginning to end.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Callie, thank you so much for your wonderful review. It's great to hear you enjoyed your time on the Animal Care project and enjoyed the uniqueness of Romania, there truly is no other country like it. We look forward to having you with IVHQ again soon. ^Meika - IVHQ Romania Program Manager

Alumni Interviews

Staff Interviews

About International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

IVHQ is the world’s most trusted and affordable volunteer abroad organization, offering the largest range of safe and impactful volunteer programs in 50+ destinations. Over 100,000 travelers have volunteered abroad with IVHQ over the past 12 years,...