Most Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in Romania from $360

COVID-19 Program Updates
Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ has decided to pause some of their upcoming programs temporarily. Learn more about COVID-19 updates and sign up for email notifications to stay tuned regarding program information.

Well
Well
Field Trip
Field Trip
Miercurea Ciuc
Miercurea Ciuc
Church
Road

Trusted by 110,000+ volunteers, IVHQ offers the most popular volunteer programs in Romania and 50+ other destinations around the world.

You can choose from 6 volunteer project options in Romania and give back for periods ranging from 1 week to 24 weeks. Your Program Fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in a volunteer apartment, with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

IVHQ is trusted to support the meaningful adventures of thousands of volunteers every year, so before you even depart for Romania, you’ll receive outstanding personalized service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager and exclusive access to superior pre-departure volunteer training.

With IVHQ, you can expect to establish real connections within the local community while supporting projects that make a genuine difference.

• IVHQ’s Romania program is available year-round, starting on the first and third Monday of every month
  • Highly affordable program fees starting from $330 - IVHQ provides the most affordable and top-rated programs
  • You’ll be joining between 5 and 10 other IVHQ volunteers who start in Romania each month
  • You’ll be traveling with IVHQ, the volunteer travel experts, and joining a network of 90,000+ volunteers. Our outstanding safety systems and track record set us apart, we are the world’s safest organization
  • Your efforts will have a positive impact because our programs are community-driven with a focus on supporting long-term local needs

Corinne

An Amazing Stay in Romania

For anyone considering the IVHQ Romania program I have three words - just do it! I recently returned from 7 weeks volunteering in Romania and would highly recommend to anyone looking to help the community, discover a new culture, and grow as a person.

As this was my first time volunteering abroad, and spending more than a couple weeks away from home, I appreciated how helpful IVHQ was in the process. IVHQ assisted in different ways, from giving advice about which location was best for me, to helping set-up travel, to providing detailed information about what to expect when volunteering abroad as well as an outline to help you prepare. IVHQ was always quick to answer questions and provide the information necessary to help me get ready for this adventure.

Once in Romania, international volunteers work through the local team, Care2Travel. Care2Travel is made up of a small, but wonderful, group of people committed to ensuring that both their foreign volunteers and local partners are supported and receiving the assistance they need. Care2Travel provides an excellent orientation (both before arrival and after) that helps volunteers better understand the language, local culture, and city that they will be living in. These orientations are a great way to get to know the area, the Care2Travel team, some local volunteers, as well as the other volunteers you will be living with during your stay. I spent 6 weeks as an NGO Support volunteer, and was able to see first-hand how much time and effort the team puts in to making sure operations run smoothly (both at programs and in the accommodations) and that they are effective for both the volunteer and the local community. Being part of the daily operations provided first-hand knowledge of how a non-government organization works. I was able to assist on projects both big (such as assisting with a job interviewing process) and small (organizing summer camp materials). This opportunity provided insight into how each task and the various programs form a bigger picture and help the local community in the long-term. As someone who has studied and/or worked in communication, counseling, and social work, there is no doubt that my experience can help better inform my work and my schooling.

Most importantly, I came away from this experience having not only worked for an amazing group of people but having met amazing people as well. Living in the accommodations with others provides an opportunity to get to know your fellow volunteers. Talking with others, I was able to learn about who they are as people, their home countries and customs, and their thoughts and experiences about placements that were different from my own. Through various opportunities, I was also able to meet, spend time with, and talk to locals in the area. Getting to know the locals was a great way to develop a better cultural understanding of both people and place, test your new language skills, or just have wonderful conversations about topics ranging from movies, to history, to international relations. By the time my 7 weeks were up, it was hard to leave the newly established relationships I had made while in Romania.

Your experience in Romania will be what you make it. A volunteer can spend their time doing just the minimum required volunteer hours and little else. However, I highly recommend becoming as involved as possible during your stay. I participated in the week long orientation. During this time, I was able to visit local sights in the surrounding area, learn about history, spend time in the mountains, and partake in language lessons. Even if you do not select the orientation, there are opportunities to get involved. Care2Travel conducts an English Club and Trivia Night, both attended by locals. There were also opportunities to engage in local happenings such as game nights, markets, musical/dance performances, sporting events, and community service. Volunteers also went together on trips outside of the city. Some of these outings the volunteers organized themselves, and some with the help of Care2Travel. The Care2Travel team does a wonderful job of providing a program that is safe, cost-effective, and supportive. Its up to you to make the most of it.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Corinne, thanks for your review of our Romania program. It's great to hear that you were so well supported and you has such a rewarding experience on the NGO Support project. I'm so glad you have made amazing memories and lasting friendships. Your contribution to the community is greatly appreciated. We look forward to having you volunteer with IVHQ again soon! ^ Claire - IVHQ Romania Program Manager

Patricia

I love Romania

I can’t say enough to recommend that you consider a trip to Romania via IVHQ and their local partner at least once in your lifetime (although it is possible that the experience will be so lovely that, like me, you will long to return).
The preparation and attention to detail provided by the partner team mean that your comfort, safety and opportunity will always be foremost. The accommodation on a quaint pedestrian-only main street of the city of Csikszereda provides a place where you immediately become family with a cast of international characters. Mine were from Brazil to the Philippines, New Zealand to Malta. They included 18-year olds in search of adventure, a young couple in love, and a 68-year-old woman who returned to revisit the joys of a previous visit. I have a new “brother” from Texas, who may be one of only a few people who love Romania more than I do. New “sisters” include a bubbly obstetrician and a woman from nearby New Jersey who shared my own sense of belonging.
I chose to do the extra orientation week which gave me not only a chance to climb ladders 72 feet into the crown of a Jesus statue for incredible mountain views and to go 2700 meters below the earth into the Praid salt mines which host a bar, a cinema and an adventure park, but to also avail myself of extra Hungarian lessons, learning phrases specifically suited to my upcoming teaching project.
When Murphy’s Law reared its head and the teacher I was to work with in Bankfalva became suddenly ill, Peter, the director of the program quickly adapted the program to include me in the afterschool program in another village for that week. I was seamlessly included in a project that allowed me to spend longer hours and more play time with kids than the teaching offered, and I made lots of new friends.
Teaching resumed the following week at Bankfalva school with Peter himself standing in as a substitute, and my translator for classes. T think we made a great teaching team. Even though I had no formal teaching experience, I was able to interact with kids in grades 4 -8 by asking and answering questions and playing word games. The high point in my teaching experience came on my last day when I volunteered to participate in a service-learning project, helping the students pick up trash throughout the village. The kids delighted in teaching me new words, including the one for horse poop, and even pointing out their own houses. I delighted in setting an example as a 66-year-old American woman reaching into streams and gutters to retrieve garbage right alongside the students. We collected about 30 full bags of trash that morning.
When asked how much value the communities receive from short term volunteers like me, Peter answered that even one chance for a student to be successful in a conversation with an English speaker can foster enthusiasm for the whole class to understand the benefits of learning English. His explanation gave me comfort in understanding my role and value here.
I also had the chance to visit the animal care project when one of my flatmates generously took time on her day off from that project to walk there with me. We spent time socializing and playing with puppies. There’s nothing like some puppy time to fend off homesickness!
One last treasured opportunity this program gave me was the ability to participate in the local community. Through both quiz night and weekly English Club I met and was befriended by locals who taught me so much about the Hungarian heritage of this part of Romania. It was not unusual for me to meet one of these locals on a walk through the city and to be invited for coffee or a beer as if we were old friends. I’ve never had such a rich 3 weeks in my life.
So…. come with an open heart and an open mind to volunteer in Romania. Through this program you will share who you are and be given so much more in return, no matter your age, background, or ability. Take the first step on the journey of a lifetime. Fall in love with a place that will let you into its heart, with people who will remember you always.
I, for one, can’t wait to return.

nothing, it was beyond expectation in every way. The partner organization is the most committed group of people I have ever encountered in community service.
Addie

Volunteering in Romania with Care2Travel through IVHQ

Go Overseas...Go to Romania...Seriously do it!
This was honestly such a great experience! I applied through IVHQ to volunteer in Romania for 2 weeks but I loved it so much I extended another week and if I hadn't had any further travels I would have extended longer. The highlight of my volunteering through Care2Travel was Summer Camp! I didn't know a lot about Romania before travelling there but as a destination it has so many amazing things to offer. The people, the food, the landscapes - everything is just amazing! I can't recommend highly enough the team at Care2Travel. They were so helpful with anything at all and all the information provided before and during my stay was so comprehensive. You feel so welcomed and with the projects themselves you feel like you are contributing to a greater cause - whatever language challenges I faced with the kids on Summer Camp, the smiles and laughs really make it worth it!!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Addie, thanks for your review of our Romania program. It's great to hear that you have such a rewarding experience. The effort you put into your contribution to the project is greatly appreciated. We look forward to having you volunteer with IVHQ again soon! ^Claire - IVHQ Romania Program Manager

Mae

First-time volunteering abroad in Romania thru IVHQ

I’m a first-time volunteer to a foreign country and naturally, I was very anxious and nervous to do something that I don’t know. But, from the time I decided to go through with the program, to the requirements and all preparations given, to meeting the local Romanian team, to experiencing the work I had to do for my placement and up until the time I had to leave...I was only made to feel cared for and safe the entire time, by every single person involved with IVHQ and the Care2Travel (local IVHQ team). I only had a week even, but it felt like a month because there was always something to do and there was never a boring time. We even had the chance to meet and interact with the locals, which was such a nice experience, specially getting to know their history and culture. Plus, I had the opportunity to see one of the highest points in Romania in it’s beautiful autumn weather! I was certainly able to do two things I like all at the same time and in such an affordable price. With the fee I paid for, I had absolutely no problem with the accommodations, the supply of food and had so much more extra pocket money left for mini-tours and souvenirs to bring back home. All worth the decision to go and all worth the time spent each day being there. I did not expect how organized and professional the whole process was from start to finish and I have no doubts at all in recommending to volunteer thru IVHQ to anyone—specially choosing Romania. It is not a country that most people would even think of visiting but it surely was worth looking into the first time I saw it on the list of available programs I wanted. (ie, agriculture). Personally, it is the perfect place and the best team to take on a first-time volunteer. I can’t say that my short stay has allowed me to change the world with the help I did. But...it has given me a good taste of volunteering and it is why I am considering on doing this often—maybe then, I’ll get a chance to change the world a little bit more each time.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I only had a week to volunteer, so I would definitely choose to stay longer next time.
Athari

Something different this summer

I wanted a change this summer. This year was about giving back, doing something for someone else. To be a part of something bigger than myself. So next thing I know I am booking a sustainable agriculture volunteer program in Romania for a week, through IVHQ and Care2Travel. This was just a taster, I didn’t want to get ahead of myself as it was the first time I was completely travelling alone.

Getting ready for this I was nervous and anxious, questioning if I’d made the right decision and it wasn’t too late to back down. All I could think about was; I am about to go to a country I have never been to before, live with people I have never met before. Am I going to get along with the people there? is this program the right fit for me? will I make a difference in such a short period of time?

The moment I stepped into the airport I was welcomed by Inu our driver and three other volunteers arriving on the same day as me. By the end of a five-hour drive most of my anxieties had melted off by the conversation flow and nestled in the mountains was Miercurea Ciuc. We dropped our bags at the accommodation made quick introductions and joined some other volunteers in discovering the town, it was the ‘potato festival’. There were food stalls, lights and live music, we even ended up dancing with a local gypsy.

The first day was orientation day, it was time to properly introduce ourselves to one another and go over the details of the town and work schedule. Awkwardness, the first fifteen minutes then someone cracks a joke, then tension from that moment melts away.

When I reached my placement and I first laid eyes at the community garden I was daunted it was huge project there was so much to do. Our volunteer leaders Peter and Jackie were full of reassurance and help telling us that they were open to our ideas and that our input no matter how small was significant. So sleeves were rolled up and days were spent in the community garden getting everything back into shape, ploughing, digging and weeding under the sun, with a cup of tea here and there. After work the day was mine. I managed to experience aerial yoga for the first time, chimney cake, family style dinner with my fellow volunteers and also my first tattoo.

At the end of my stay I could already see a difference in the garden it looked as if it were up and running. There was that enormous sense of achievement. The last night of my program was the icing on the cake. All of us had huddled up near a fire making smores underneath the stars, talking about our journeys, dreams and goals.

All of those fear and worries were uncalled for because at the end of the volunteer program I honestly came out of it getting more than I expected. It truly changed me. I came out with friends and an appreciation towards finding a common goal even though we all came from different back grounds. The only regret I have is, I wish I had stayed a little longer…

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Me and a mother volunteer rented some mountain bikes and went site seeing near the hill sides and for the first time in my life i saw a buffalo.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Athari, it was extremely heartwarming to read your review on our program in Romania and our exceptional local team. Traveling solo can cause some anxiety, but I'm so glad to read that you felt welcomed and supported from the moment you arrived. Thanks for your contribution in this community and we hope to welcome you back soon! ^Claire - IVHQ Romania Program Manager

Diane

South Yorkshire Girl Guides

Our group was younger than most volunteers, 7 girls aged 13-15 and their 3 leaders.
The volunteer programme had been well thought out to ensure that the girls were able to fully participate as indeed they did!
I hope that the trip has made memories that the girls will carry with them always and that they have left a positive impression on the local community we worked with.
They also gained a lot from meeting and interacting with the other volunteers on the programme - both local and international and with volunteers on different programmes that were staying in the accommodation. Transylvania is a beautiful part of the world with good weather and some fantastic scenery.
Your comments minimum limit is too long - I'm sure you don't get as many comments as you might when an essay is required before you can post!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
We saw a mother bear and her three cubs on a trip to Santa Ana Lake.
Matt

My experience of the IVHQ Animal Care project in Romania

My trip to Romania was a very last minute one having only applied 2 weeks before my placement at the animal shelter was due to start. The reason for my late application was that i had been deliberating over whether to apply or not due to a mix of nervousness and not knowing what the experience would entail. Inspite of this, i decided to go ahead and apply to the animal shelter project in Romania with IVHQ in partnership with care2travel and having just finished my time there, my only regret would be not spending longer at this incredible place and program.

With regard to the support surrounding the placement, i was picked up from the airport as soon as i arrived by one of the care2travel staff named Orsi who was incredibly welcoming and made me feel at ease straight away. Then, having arrived at the accommodation, which was situated in the centre of Miercurea Ciuc. I was impressed by a large courtyard surrounded by rustic buildings with generously sized rooms. In terms of my expenses, there were very little as not only was i able to request groceries for the house which was included in the program fee for breakfast and dinner, but lunch was also provided at a local restaurant. The restaurant offered a large variety of food for all different requirements including a range of local delicacies. As a result the only expenses that you will experience will be either for drinks at one of the local bars or cafés such as grund which was my personal favourite, or if you decide to do one of many afternoon experiences such as horse riding, adventure activities, cookery along with a host of other options which care2travel offer in partnership with locals in order to facilitate their ideals of sustainable tourism.

In terms of my time at the Pro Animalia animal shelter, i could not do the experience justice. Prior to applying, one of my main concerns was, being a huge dog person, whether i would be able to cope with the experience emotionally. As i thought i would, i became very close with several of the dogs, particularly one of the puppies named jeremiah. However, i quicky realised during my placement that they were receiving a very high standard of care which indeed is made possible with the help of volunteers such as yourselves. Therefore i understood that the best way to further help the dogs is to give them lots of affection and to encourage others who are on the fence about joining to further help the dogs at the shelter.

One of the things that i most enjoyed about the experience was that the staff were very flexible in terms of how i helped at the shelter. For instance i have a passion for photography and the staff encouraged me to use this skill set to take photos of the dogs for their website. My main role however was to socialise the puppies and young dogs. Although the majority of the puppies were very playful, there were several more timid dogs which can limit the likelihood of their adoption thus socialising these dogs early on their development is key. The importance of early socialisation is furthered by the fact that once a dog has found a new home, not only is it amazing for the dog but it also opens up space for the shelter to help other dogs who are in difficult situations. I am pleased to say that by the end of my week, i noticed several of the more timid dogs feeling more comfortable to interact with myself and the other volunteers. Better still i’ve heard from the volunteers who have stayed on that the dogs are making even more progress.

Overall, i had an incredible experience throughout my time in Romania both in terms of my experience at the shelter itself as well as meeting so many amazing volunteers from across the world. Therefore i would highly recommend this IVHQ program to anybody as not only will you he helping a very worthy project but i’m sure that you will also have an amazing personal experience in Romania.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would have stayed longer as i was only there for one week. Although i got so much out of the experience, i wish that i could have stayed in Romania and helped for longer.
Jessica

An incredible experience!

My experience with IVHQ and Care2travel Romania was absolutely incredible!
I was lucky enough to join the animal care program in Romania for 2 weeks, it was absolutely unreal, every day I was with these adorable puppies and dogs, I had to pinch myself because it felt too good to be true. In addition to my new fur friends, I also met some truly amazing people and have made lifelong friends. Romania is a real hidden gem of Europe, the country is so beautiful and I am so grateful that I had the opportunity to visit, I will definitely be back! I cannot fault IVHQ or Care2travel Romania, everyone made the experience so easy and enjoyable for all of us volunteers. My only regret is not being able to stay longer, I did not want to leave! You will not regret joining this program.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
The 2 week program was great, but if I were to do it again, I would stay at least 3 weeks to enjoy more weekend time exploring the beautiful country.