Greenheart Travel - Teach English in South Korea

By Greenheart Travel   Reviews (24)   95% Rating

Spend a year teaching and living abroad in South Korea! Not only will you receive flight reimbursement, a generous salary and free housing, but you will also be given 30+ days of paid vacation. There is no fee for this program and teachers will be able to save a substantial amount of money while abroad. Greenheart Travel works alongside the South Korean Ministry of Education and the South Korean National Institute of International Education in order to select the best candidates for this program.

Program-at-a-Glance:
-Free program - no program fee
-Paid English teaching positions throughout South Korea
-One year contracts
-10 day orientation upon arrival
-Free furnished studio apartment
-Salary of about $1,600 to $2,200 USD (1.8 - 2.5 million KRW)
-Approximately 30+ days of paid vacation
-Flights Reimbursement

Program Info

Location:
  • South Korea
Salary / Benefits:

- Free furnished studio apartment
- Salary of 1.8 - 2.5 million KRW per month (about $1,600 to $2,200 USD, tax-deferred)*, depending on location, experience and qualifications. Save up to $15,000 per year!
- Approximately 30+ days of paid vacation
- Allowances for flight costs and more are awarded upon beginning and completion of contract totaling approximately $2,570 USD
- Severance pay equal to one month's salary
- Step-by-step guidance and support throughout application process, including pre-departure orientation
- National Korean Health Insurance coverage
- No program or application fees

Length:
1 year+
See Additional Information
Requirements:

Citizen of US, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, or South Africa
Bachelor's degree in any field
20-55 years of age
No criminal record (this includes underage drinking charges, DUI's, misdemeanors, etc), minor traffic offenses are okay
TEFL Certification (100 hours) OR a Bachelor's degree in Education, English or Linguistics OR a Master's degree in any field
Strong desire to learn about other cultures

Housing:
Application:
Statement of Purpose
Resume

• Facilities
  • Kristin
    Helpful Program
    04/16/2015

It's helpful to have a company guide you through the intense application process. My Green Heart recruiter provided many detailed instructions on how to apply for certain documents and reminded me of the due dates for everything along the way.

How could this program be improved?

Some of the companies that were recommended by Green Heart to use for authenticating documents were not the most affordable.
    Some of the directions given to me via PDF were not completely up-to-date.

• Kelsey
    Brigham Young University
    Greenheart really is GREAT!!
    04/05/2015

I knew I wanted to teach English in South Korea, so I found a few different recruiters and emailed them all. Greenheart was one of them and the ONLY one that got back to me in a timely manner. This continued throughout my entire application process. Sara, the girl over the program for South Korea, was always so on top of things and replied to every email (no matter how silly the questions) within minutes, maybe an hour or two TOPS. She was very helpful and informative and sweet.

There was no way for her to help with my placement - this is just the nature of the EPIK program that I applied for through Greenheart. No recruiters would be able to guarantee a placement, as they fill up very fast and requirements change per area.

How could this program be improved?

The only thing I would wish to improve with the program is a little bit of help getting settled when we arrive in Korea. Maybe some kind of mini-orientation before the EPIK orientation begins? Perhaps arriving a day earlier and having a person or two to answer a few of the instant culture shock questions we try to get a head start on the recovery from jet lag. However, I did just fine without anything like this, I just know there were a few other recruiters that did things like this and I thought it was very nice to have an instant group of people to connect with. This in no way is a reason to not go with Greenheart. The clear, concise, and FAST communication with Greenheart is irreplaceable during the application process while everything is SO confusing. There are plenty of other helpful people here to answer questions once you've arrived in South Korea.

Useful: 1 Inspiring: 1
  • Lydia
    Seoul, Korea
    Ithaca College
    Excellent preparation!
    11/16/2014

I was very happy using greenheart travel. I found all my incessant, anxiety-driven and sometimes desperate questions answered promptly and intelligently. I experienced a couple of paperwork issues and my recruiter (Sarah) was extremely helpful and seemed to make a genuine effort to rectify any of the administrative issues I was experiencing. Since my placement in Korea, I've also come to appreciate just how in-tune Greenheart travel is with the processes and the education system here. Now that I have a more comprehensive understanding of EPIK, I further appreciate how Greenheart guided me and all the applicants to make as strong an application as possible. The advice they provide about the interview process as well as the realities of the positions themselves is, in my experience, very helpful and quite honest. Though I haven't heard much from greenheart since moving to Seoul, I don't think it would be necessary at this point anyway. I would definitely recommend greenheart travel to those looking to transition into EPIK teaching.

How could this program be improved?

I would offer a little more support for arrival. Other recruiters provided people with cell phones that were usable upon arrival, which was very useful in those first few (very confusing) days.

Useful: 0 Inspiring: 1
  • Eric
    Waegwan, South Korea
    Great Program
    11/14/2014

Greenheart Travel has been excellent at every step of the way. While applying, our questions were promptly answered, and our apprehensions were cleared up. The entire process was made easier with their help. We knew exactly what to expect from the moment we landed in Korea until getting to our apartments. Big thanks to Sara at Greenheart!

Having had no experience as a teacher, the English Program in Korea (EPIK) has been an excellent first step in my teaching career. Over the past year and a half, I've seen entire classes of middle school students transform from being unsure of the lesson to having the 'a-ha moment' to being able to fire back answers as I review the material. I've never experienced something so rewarding.

I definitely recommend Greenheart Travel to anyone, with or without experience, looking to teach abroad.

• The
    Pohang, South Korea
    Southern Utah University
    Just do it!
    11/13/2014

Greenheart took great care of us throughout the application process. They we able to find me a placement despite my unusual situation- bringing a dependent.

Flash forward two years and my husband and I are still enjoying our experience here. We'll even be starting our third EPIK contract as a family of three. So let go of whatever is holding you back and just apply!

My school is so supportive and I love working with these cute kids. It's a big school so I teach only 5th and 6th grades and one period of English Club. My area is great; there is a great community of foreigners who offer support and friendship.

I have also been able to really get to know the Korean culture through travel, and native friends. Go to Korea. Greenheart travel will help you get there!

How could this program be improved?

I really can't think of anything they need to change. They answered all my questions timely and throughly. They were friendly and provided multiple forums for information and support.

Useful: 1 Inspiring: 1
  • Arielle
    Angye, South Korea
    Vanderbilt University
    Fantastic
    11/13/2014

Greenheart travel makes applying to teach abroad a much less daunting process. They were very helpful the entire way through-from the first draft of my application to my final departure. They check your application for any faults before sending it off to the Epik which I love because the application needs to be completed in a very specific way. Additionally, they give you interview tips and a pre-depature info session. I applied for EPIK in 2012, so it's been about 2 years since then; however, I remember the application process running very smoothly, and I know this is thanks to Greenheart.

How could this program be improved?

teaching in South Korea has been an amazing experience, and I think everything should have the experience of living outside of the comforts of your country in order to serve someone else. That said the English teaching situation is changing rather drastically. The benefits that I had when I first came to Korea may not be fully available in the (very near) future. Applicants should keep this in mind.

• Candiss
    Pohang, South Korea
    University of Wisconsin
    Greenheart Travel--The best of the best!
    11/13/2014

From the beginning to end of the long application process to teach English in Korea, Greenheart Travel (especially Sara Dorsey), has been exceptional. When I first showed an interest in teaching abroad, the Greenheart Travel website clearly displayed all the details of the program. (from benefits to job duties) I knew exactly how much my salary would be, how long the orientation would last, etc. This was extremely helpful. In addition, I became reassured at the legitimacy of the program when I noticed that Greenheart Travel is partnered with the EPIK-English Program in Korea. (a government-run program)

As the application process continued, Sara was extremely prompt in answering my questions via email and also offered helpful advice on what to expect while living in Korea. Since she had already taught in Korea in the past, it was very reassuring since I was already beyond nervous to move across the world and teach English. After I was accepted, I received a welcome packet and detailed itinerary of upcoming orientation in Korea. This was very helpful and I remember feeling so relieved when I received this from Greenheart Travel. It even had a map of the Incheon airport and helpful tips on how to handle culture shock! Greenheart travel made me feel much more prepared to begin my journey of traveling abroad.

I will be finishing my second year of teaching in Korea in February 2015 and am going to continue to teach and travel abroad. This time, it will be with Greenheart Travel Teach English in Colombia program! Overall, teaching in Korea has been full of ups and downs. But, it's been a worthwhile experience and I've gained various lifelong skills that will help me professionally in the future. These skills include: public speaking, classroom management, patience, and most importantly, ADAPTABILITY.

How could this program be improved?

I'm sure this is probably beyond Greenheart Travel's control, but my boyfriend and I were very late in receiving our visas. We applied when we were told to, but only received them a few days before departure to Korea. This was very stressful. We had to obtain our residency certificate before obtaining our visas, so maybe it would be better to obtain this earlier than later.
    Another issue, (which may also have been beyond Greenheart Travel's control), was the fact that my boyfriend and I were not placed in the same city. We have met many other couples here who are not married and were placed in the same city. This was a bummer, of course. But, we've made it work!

• Brittney
    Gwangju, South Korea
    Fairleigh Dickinson University
    A Chance for Personal and Professional Growth
    11/12/2014

When I was applying for this program I was having some difficulties that were driving me crazy. The fault for this was of course the paperwork and the bureaucratic tape you had to jump through to get it. I was working full time while I was going through these hoops and honestly if I didn't have the help and advise of Sarah over at Greenheart Travel, I might have just given up. I literally had to apply for something three times because I kept getting rejected for this or that reason, but Sarah helped me manage to get in the essentials of my application so that I wouldn't be left behind in the late application pool. eventually, when I got the rest of my paperwork I submitted it and joined the rest of the applicants in the waiting game. Greenheart Travel was fantastic as they put all paranoia at ease and sent me information to prepare me for the insanity I had just willingly signed up for.

It really is insane to voluntarily drop all the opportunities in your own backyard to move 7,000 miles away to a completely different country and do something for which there is no safety net. But as I sit here in my apartment in South Korea, I know I made the best move I could.. I enjoyed my first year of teaching high school history in the US after I graduated college. I look forward to going back and doing that, but at the time I wasn't ready to submit to the game of politics one has to play to secure a long term job in education. I knew I still wasn't ready to settle down and so I opted to take advantage of my youth and travel. Coming to South Korea was the perfect opportunity. From a historical viewpoint, there is nothing better than experiencing a culture for yourself and actually going to see the history. From the teaching viewpoint, I am becoming more flexible ("Korean surprises" are a daily occurrence, be prepared) and becoming familiar with different methods. This opportunity is not about running away from something, it's about helping myself grow more through less mainstream means.

I have no regrets in coming here and I couldn't ask for anything more (perhaps besides some less expensive peanut butter). There really is nothing like walking down the street after what has become an average day of teaching and just being completely content with life.

How could this program be improved?

It would be nice if someone was more familiar with the difference in the state to state process of applying for some of the necessary paperwork. This, of course, is difficult with fifty states, and only comes with experiences with difficulties like my own.

Learning how to make kimchi at the International Kimchi Festival
    The parade at the Chungjang-ro Festival in Gwangju. The festival celebrates the 1970s and 1980s.
    Watching the concert put on in the middle of the city at the Chungjang-ro Festival i Gwangju. It's huge and awesome.
  • Mai
    Central California
    California State- Fresno
    EPIK 9-10 day Orientation
    09/22/2014

During the 9 - 10 day orientation, I learned many helpful EL strategies from former EPIK teachers and those first hand experiences really helped me prepared for my first day in the classroom. Lots of resources were provided as well to help teachers get ideas for lesson planning as adjust to the culture and school system. Thank you EPIK for easing EPIK teachers into the classroom as best as possible.

How could this program be improved?

Perhaps telling EPIK teachers their placement sooner so they have an idea of the grade level they will be teaching and prepare if not, physically, mentally for the task.

Useful: 1 Inspiring: 0
  • Susan
    Age: 31-50
    S Korea
    University of the Fraser Valley
    Go for Greenheart!
    09/19/2014

Sara and Greenheart are great! Always there for you, every step of the way. The application paperwork and timelines for placement with the Korean EPIK program is a bit gruelling, be spot on with your paperwork or you will miss your placement deadline! But if this is the position you want Greenheart can get you there with as much support as one can expect along the way. As well the EPIK program's orientation is extremely thorough, rest up before you arrive!!

How could this program be improved?

I don't think Greenheart recruits for all of the EPIK provinces, which I did not realize. Check it out.

Useful: 0 Inspiring: 0
    Response from Greenheart Travel
    10/03/2014
    Thank you, Susan! We're so glad you're loving life in Korea. We actually do recruit for all EPIK provinces, however, EPIK does not recruit for Gyeonggi province at all. That program is completely separate and called "GEPIK". Hope that helps clear up the confusion! We don't pick and choose which provinces or cities we place in, we place in all locations EPIK is placing in that round. I'm glad you stuck the paperwork out and that we could help you through it all :) Sara
  • Jeric
    Seoul, South Korea
    University of Alaska - Fairbanks
    Great recruiter for a 1st timer
    09/16/2014

My overall experience has been really good overall. I didn't really know what to expect, but I'm really glad I went with Greenheart Travel. My recruiter was always willing to answer my questions, often in a timely manner. She helped me with pretty much all aspects of my application process.

How could this program be improved?

One thing I was hoping for at the airport (Seoul International Airport) I arrived in was maybe some sort of contact person. I also wished there was more after-arrival tips/advice.

• Gin
    Daegu, South Korea
    Greenheart is Great!
    09/04/2014

Greenheart travel was extremely helpful throughout the entire application process. Sara, my recruiter, was always extremely quick to answer all of my emails - and there were many! She was also very thorough in reviewing the details of my application so that it could be sent off to EPIK without any errors or problems. By sharing her story about teaching in Korea, she really makes you feel at ease before you depart on your journey and prepares you for the experience by sharing those personal details that you might not hear from another recruiter. I enjoyed working with Greenheart so much that I plan to apply for volunteer programs with them in the future. Anyone who is thinking about applying to teach in Korea should go through Greenheart if they want to work with helpful, fun people and get through the process stress-free. Thanks Greenheart!!

Useful: 1 Inspiring: 0
  • Emily
    Chicago, IL
    Ball State University
    Teaching with Greenheart Travel
    04/23/2014

Teaching English is South Korea was an amazing experience. The process can seem long and complicated, but Greenheart Travel makes it doable and helps every step of the way. I think I emailed them 4000 times with questions and concerns before I left, ranging from a possible attack from North Korea to if I should bring bed sheets. I was also constantly on their website reading blogs and posting in the Facebook group. Greenheart partners with EPIK, who have very strong guidelines and rules that ensure you are getting the most out of your experience. I had afternoon and weekends off, got paid on time, and had a furnished apartment ready for me after orientation. I think this is why the process of applying and getting hired is so involved and requires so many documents, they want to makes sure they're putting quality people in their communities. There are also two long breaks during the school year, which was a perfect time to travel. I traveled most of Southeast Asia during this time, and it was great way to see Asia while having a job and home base in Korea. Overall it was just a wonderful, life changing (cheesy I know) experience!

How could this program be improved?

Everything on Greenheart Travel's side was handled really well and made the experience much easier than I expected!

• Josh
    Daegu, South Korea
    University of Massachusetts- Boston
    Two Months Into Contract
    10/09/2013

I have three co-teachers, though I do all of the planning and teaching myself. The teachers are nice, and if the kids are being disruptive, the co-teacher will usually help restore order. Also, I am a male and all of my co-teachers are female, and I was more or less told that because of this, they wouldn't really be able to do anything beyond strictly school stuff. For example, many other EPIK teachers I know were taken out to get supplies by their co-teachers, or have been taken out for dinner/lunch and just in general helped them settle in, but that was not the case for me. It's not a deal breaker, but if you are a male and have female co-teacher(s), I think this may be a common theme.
    Everything else about the program is pretty much as advertised, including the chaotic and often last minute schedule changing, which can sometimes be frustrating, but it's again not something that is bad. Overall though, I do enjoy my school and placement. I have not needed any real support for issues, but any little ones that happen do seem to be taken care of quickly. Though I do think that once you are actually in Korea, your recruiter and EPIK may actually not be as resourceful to you as they were prior to departing. Once here, it's pretty much the school and the respective POE/MOE offices.

How could this program be improved?

The process is pretty tedious for two reasons; being slow and not having a lot of information up front. I understand that much of this is out of Greenheart's control, such as FBI CRC and EPIK's way of handling things, but there were vast stretches of time where I was in lingo, not knowing for sure if I was going to Korea or not, but having to save the money, keep an eye open for plane tickets and think about quitting my job with enough notice. It ended up working out ok though, but if there were some way to provide more details about placements. But again, I understand much of this is in EPIK's hands, so there may not be anything Greenheart can do about that.

Useful: 3 Inspiring: 0
  • Kylee
    Jecheon-si, Cheongchungbuk-do, South Korea
    Westminster College
    Teaching in South Korea
    10/07/2013

Deciding to teach English in Korea was no easy decision to make, but Greenheart Travel made every step of the way 100 times easier! Greenheart was there to answer any questions I had (no matter how "dumb" the question was), and I always got a quick response. I especially loved how Greenheart connected me with people who had prior experience in Korea, as well as people who were going through this experience for the first time like myself.

The most difficult thing about Korea is the waiting game. Patience, patience, patience. It cannot be said enough. Waiting for a phone, internet, a bank account, and your ARC card can be hard considering that we take them for granted at home, but expect to wait a few weeks to finally get all of these things. After the initial shock of Korea and once you have settled into your new life, Korea isn't that different from home. I can find anything I could possible need all in my city. Also, everyone is super welcoming, Koreans and expats alike. So if there is anything that I can't figure out by myself, there is ALWAYS someone there to help me out in any way possible.

Teaching and living in Korea is definitely an experience I will never forget!

About the provider

Greenheart Travel is excited to provide authentic cultural immersion experiences for teenagers and adults in countries all over the world. Our programs include volunteer opportunities, short and long term teaching contracts and work and internship positions abroad. We also offer TEFL certification, high school study abroad programs and teen summer language camp courses. Our mission is to change lives, advance careers and create leaders through meaningful travel experiences.

Teach English Abroad | Volunteer Abroad | High School Study Abroad | TEFL Courses | Teen Language Camps | Work Abroad