Paid Teach English in Thailand Program with Greenheart Travel

Thailand Waterfall
Monkey Moutain, Hua Hin
Monkey Moutain, Hua Hin
Kulsirisart School

Greenheart Travel’s paid English teaching program in Thailand is your chance to make an incredible impact in the classroom while getting paid to travel. We also offer a TESOL certification in either Chiang Mai or Hua Hin before you begin teaching if you are not yet certified.

Program-at-a-Glance:
-Monthly guaranteed salary of at least 30,000 THB per month
-Placements in kindergartens, elementary, middle, and high schools
-Monthly start dates, year round
-All inclusive program with add-ons packaged in: airport pickup, extensive emergency medical insurance for 4 months, accommodation for your training period in Hua Hin or Chiang Mai, all orientation excursions, and more.
-Short contracts (6 weeks, 2 months, 6 months) with the ability to extend as many times as you’d like to for free

• One semester PAID contracts (semesters are around 4 months long but your commitment might be shorter if you arrive in the middle of a semester)
  • 1 week orientation (+ optional 3 week TESOL certification) in either Hua Hin or Chiang Mai
  • Paid summer 6-Week teaching program available
  • Insurance, excursions, and accommodation for your orientation and training period packaged in
  • Full support from Greenheart Travel staff before, during and after your teaching program

Yes! We can place friends/couples/siblings together!
Hi Cheyna. We don't allow dependents on the program. They're welcome to come to Thailand and join you once you're settled in your job and apartment, but we cannot support them as part of the program with things like visas, support, airport pickup, orientation excursions, etc.
Hi Beth! This is what we found: "Yes, we welcome friends and couples to apply and we can place you you so that you can live together! Every applicant can note in their application who they are applying with. We can guarantee placements together so that you can live together, but you may work at different schools within the same city."
Yes, we have a 6 week program in the summertime!

• Benefits 9.4
  • Facilities 8.7
  • Instruction 9.3
  • Academic Rigor 6.3
  • Job Assistance 9.8
Hannah

When can I go again?!

My partner and I were placed to teach in the same town, even the same school during our time in Thailand. Before we went overseas, we had plenty of questions and Greenheart was easy to reach, patient, and so kind! We felt prepared and knew expectations/next steps for every part of our journey. Once we went overseas, the partner organization was incredibly helpful throughout our experience including navigating visas, Thai culture, and teaching! As for Thailand, an absolutely magical place. We were paid well enough to live comfortably and save some for travelling around Southeast Asia.
Tips for Thailand: embrace the bum gun, bring coffee from home if you like coffee, prepare for sugar to be added into everything!
10/10 I would recommend again!

Stay as long as you can! Additionally, take time to visit as many regions of Thailand as you can! The country has so much to offer! If you find yourself driving a scoot scoot, be sure to wear your helmet. Every. Single. Time!
Kerstyn

Great experience

Greenheart travel was great! There was a lot of support leading up to me leaving for Thailand. I would have been completely lost without their help and honestly I don’t think I would have ever moved to Thailand without their guidance. Once we arrived they set us up with another company but continued to check in a few more times. I am very happy with my experience with Greenheart.
I ended up spending one semester in Northern Thailand in a small town called Mae Chan located in Chiang Rai. I couldn’t have asked for a better placement. The town was absolutely beautiful. We had everything that I needed including a gym and a big Tesco. My students were incredible however they did challenge me on a daily basis. I will forever be happy that I went.

Jump right in. You really don’t know what to expect until you arrive in another country. Be open minded and appreciate the hard moments as an opportunity to grow and the good moments as a times that you will not ever forget.
William

Cultural immersion at its finest

Greenheart Travel was incredibly helpful in connecting us with Xplore Asia and helping us to get our feet on the ground in Thailand. The coordinators helped to calm our nerves about our trip and we felt we were treated with kindness and compassion throughout our time working with Greenheart Travel. If you are looking for an incredible experience and immersion in a beautiful culture I would highly suggest this program. Working with the kids has been my favorite work experience so far. I feel that I grew significantly in this program. One of the best parts was that my wife and I were placed in the same school, so if you looking for a program that accommodates couples, look no further! If you're a foodie this is definitely the right program for you. 10 out of 10 would recommend this experience to anyone.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
I ate a silk worm while I was traveling on a weekend in Cambodia
Danielle

5-Star Support

I did plenty of research about teaching abroad before choosing Greenheart Travel. TEFL certification and placement programs come a dime a dozen now. The difference with Greenheart, though is I felt support from initial contact even up to now almost a year later. The school yera has concluded and the memories I've made as a EFL teacher in Thailand I owe much of the smooth transition to Greenheart.

I appreciated that my questions were answered promptly and the staff were helpful and professional. Their partner in Asia that actually handles the teacher placement portion on the ground work well with the Greenheart setup.

Although I have a masters degree and prior TEFL certification, I chose to add on the optional TEFL course. I highly recommend you so so too! If you've taught in a classroom before, great. But teaching in Thailand, to Thai kids, in a Thai school setting will be very different. The TEFL course not only included a jam-packed orientation week, but the conclusion of the course required a 2-day teaching camp and that was life-changing! Those kids changed my ideas about wanting to be a teacher. Their energy, smiles and warmth oozed through my soul. It's because of the TEFL program that I decided I wanted to continue teaching.
Had I just taken my placement after the orientation week and skipped the TEFL course I would've sorely missed bonding experiences with other program mates (some I mad great friends with!), learning valuable techniques to teaching in a Thai classroom, and made transitioning to Thailand life much smoother.

I chose Hua Hin between there or Chiang Mai to do the program because I'm an animal lover and the service project included an animal rescue and sanctuary component.
I was under the impression I'd be doing more service with the program, but it was really just an introduction for the day. I'd say that was a major disappointment. There really was no time during the jam-pakced orientation week to do much else, and definitely not once the TEFL program started. We were busy with homework Every day.
So I wouldn't sell the experience as one that makes a huge distinction between what service project you'll be doing. After realizing it mid-program I'd wish I'd chosen Chiang Mai. I was not a fan of Hua Hin.
Michael

The Life-Changing Magic of Simplicity

Marie Kondo was on to something in her book The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up. The book centered around the question “Does it spark joy?”...for me this simple question changed my life. As a overworked American passionate person about education, I found myself experiencing a burnout that was draining my life. I knew I needed change and my wanderlust soul was beginning to consume my thoughts. That's when I found Greenheart Travel...and I would have to say that's when Thailand found me.

After months of research on living and teaching in Thailand, I found no other organization that offered the structured support and guidance to live this dream like Greenheart Travel. From visa, resume, and cultural preparation, Greenheart made the adventure possible, easy, and informative. Kara answered every question that I had and continues to be in contact since I've been here. If you are reading this, it means you are thinking about embarking on this wild adventure...and as many Thais would say "why not?" Haha Go for it! It will change your life!

The TESOL course with XploreAsia prepares you in every way they can to not only be a great teacher but also how to culturally adjust to living in Thailand. Some participants from other partnered organizations with XploreAsia had horror stories of their preparation agencies...none of which I could relate to because Greenheart provided so much detailed information on what to expect and how to prepare.

Now, you might be asking "Is it all sunshine and rainbows?" Well, if you come in April or May, you have the sunshine part right as it is quite hot and the sun can be quite intense haha But as someone who hates cold weather, I lather on the sunscreen with a smile and carry an umbrella with me everywhere I go (comes in handy to shield the sun AND when it just randomly rains out of nowhere). Eventually you'll get used to the sweat...so don't sweat it ;-)

As far as adjusting to life in your placement city, you may experience a shock from going from being around people 24/7 during the TESOL course and having everything planned, organized, and easy to moving to your placement city alone, lost, and possibly not being able to communicate well. Buying the right size sheets at Tesco or Big C may be more of a complicated task than one realizes when you can't read the packaging and the sales assistant doesn't speak English haha After awhile you'll begin to adjust to venturing out on your own and depending on your placement, you may meet other foreign teachers who will help along the way. I live in the heart of Bangkok and I honestly think it has made my transition a bit more convenient and easier to adjust to. I quickly set out to make local Thai friends which has been a benefit in multiple ways! Thais knows all the good places to eat, the secrets of getting around, and best places to visit on holiday ;-)

There are many things I have come to love about Thailand. The food, the weather, the beautiful landscapes, and the low cost of living are just a few to mention about living in the "land of smiles." However, to me, the most important and refreshing has been the laid back "mai bpen rai" lifestyle. If you don't know what that means, look it up...you'll enjoy the research. It's been a game changer for me. Bringing me back to my point about Marie Kondo's "spark joy" mentality, I have come to love, embrace, and appreciate simplicity.

There is just something to be said about simplicity; it’s simply liberating and Thailand is a perfect environment to experience and embrace it. I am loving it more and more each day and if you were like me...stressed to the max all the time because of the rat race of your culture...I encourage you to simply ask yourself "why?" Then take a look at Greenheart's Teach in Thailand opportunity and ask yourself "why not?" haha You won't regret it.

I wish you the best on your quest for adventure.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Traffic and road rules are quite...let me just say entertaining haha Heavy traffic, merging lanes without signals, driving in the middle of two lanes, pulling out in front of other cars, mopeds swerving in and out of traffic, mopeds going down the wrong way to avoid crossing the street, mopeds driving down the sidewalk, pedestrians trying to cross the street...the list goes on haha BUT, the most amusing part to me is that NO ONE CARES! No one honks, gets road rage, drives aggressively...they just slow down or move out of the way and keep going. Everyone is just so laid back and it honestly breaches into almost every aspect of life here. It's amazing.
Lauren

Teaching in Thailand was Wonderful

Greenheart are fantastic at providing support from the moment you land in the country. I arrived and was picked up by a driver arranged by greenheart, and then driven to my hotel room (sharing with another teacher). We then spent the next week having all our important documents sorted, applications for teaching jobs filled out and phones sorted, as well as Thai lessons, culture lessons, teaching lessons and wonderful activities such as muai thai and visiting an elephant sanctuary. I felt 100% supported by greenheart staff to get a teaching job, although flexibility on this front was required on my part as this changed once or twice before it was finalised. as well as emotionally and psychically supported for the rest of my time in Thailand. I ended up working for a school and a learning centre in Ayutthaya, a beautiful historic town, the learning centre was fantastic, wonderfully organised and gave me a variety of students in terms of age and requirements. The school was far less organised and I had some trouble here trying to make my lessons a success, however, I felt i could call upon Greenheart should I encounter any problems. I found the culture and language lessons provided by Greenheart at the beginning very helpful, as well as technical support of getting a SIM card and bank account, all of which would have been very difficult to do alone. I had a wonderful placement and a perfect place to live, and still keep in touch now with some of the fellow teacher I met there. A fantastic experience, so much so that I decided to use Greenheart again in 2018 for a home stay programme in China.

Of course it would be nice if the programme was a little more affordable for everyone, although I did make plenty of money once I was out there. I also got discount for my next programme.
Songkran Celebration with M.6 Students
Zak

A Transformative Experience for the Open-Minded

When I first began researching teaching programs around Asia I never thought it was as complex and confusing as it is. I found Greenheart and they were encouraging and helpful. They don't hold your hand through every step, but they are supportive and make sure you feel informed and safe as you prepare for a huge leap into the unknown. As mentioned, the teaching world in Thailand/SE Asia can be complex. You'll work with partner organizations/agencies, since Greenheart doesn't actually serve or have access to every school in the country. Fortunately, I personally never had any major issues or emergencies while navigating some of the confusing transitions throughout the teaching process, but I always felt that Greenheart had my back and would have done their best to help had I needed it. I completed the TESOL course and initial placement, and fell in love with Thailand. I have since transitioned to other jobs, but I attribute a lot of my initial success to the fact that I came through Greenheart.

If you've never worked in a foreign country before, this experience will be very very very challenging at times. DO NOT expect Thailand to cater to your every need. It's a beautiful, friendly place to live and work, but the program is not a vacation. The Thai community loves having foreign teachers, but they expect you (rightfully so) to live up to their expectations and to respect and adapt to their culture. Not the other way around. It's not always easy, but it can be absolutely transformative if you're open to it.
Erika

A once in a lifetime experience

Teaching English in Thailand has been the most challenging and rewarding experience for me. I'm typing this review as I sit in my thai classroom watching music videos with my students on the last day of classes! I highly recommend this program to anyone who has a passion for adventure, travel, children, and being out of their comfort zone. I completed the TESOL course here in Thailand and met life long friends. In fact, four of us are backpacking Vietnam and Cambodia after we finish teaching! During the placement process, I was told I would be teaching 16-18 year olds (I am 22). I came into this experience assuming I would be teaching younger kids, so this was scary news at first. Now that I have been teaching them for 4 months, I wouldn't trade it for the world. Watching my seniors graduate was so special for me. I did something I never thought I'd be able to do and I couldn't have done it without Greenheart Travel.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Out of all of the different food I came across in Thailand, the most unfamiliar thing I ate was either a chicken heart on a stick or a flattened, dried squid!
Riley

This company was incredibly helpful

Greenheart travel works with you from the visa preparation up until you're ready for your next adventure. They are very quick with replying to any concerns or questions you have about your program, accommodation, pay etc. I felt Greenheart always have an answer that was honest and accurate. Sarah, my program coordinator was very helpful and patient with me when I would e-mail her frequently with questions. They keep you in the loop with what is going on in their company as well as events and opportunities for Greenheart alumni. I always recommend Greenheart to friends and strangers when they are looking for an adventure similar to mine! I am so lucky to have gone through this company and experiened the year & a half away in Thailand that I did! I will forever cherish that experience.

Tatiana

Wonderful experience!

I did the TESOL course in Hua Hin. What I expected to be just a step before starting teaching was a surprisingly amazing experience. The atmosphere it's just great, in only one week every one participating in the program become friends. The teachers and the stuff were also great, showing us around and helping us orginize extra excursions on the weekends.
I totally recommend doing the TESOL in Thailand instead of online.
After one amazing month, we were send to our placements. My school is a private one and it's great. I asked to be in the South teaching highschool but I am North teaching Highschools, but it is obvious that they cannot give everyone the perfect conditions, you have to accept that and you will fall in love with your place.

There were some missed information between XploreAsia and Green Heart, for example, Green Heart told me that I could teach wearing trousers but when I got to Thailand XploreAsia told me that most schools don't allow women to wear anything but skirts and dresses so I had to buy them here. It's not a big deal but I could have bring another kind of clothes.
Kamalpreet

Best Experience of my Life!

The decision to teach abroad is so empowering! The love from the students is validating and the ability to prove to yourself that you can leave everything familiar and comfortable to you and still overcome all challenges is the cherry on the cake. Adjusting to a big move like this is never easy, but I am so thankful to have gone through Greenheart Travel because they were incredibly supportive during those hard times. Everyone is genuinely there to help and support you through this journey because they KNOW what it's like to be in your shoes as they've all experienced the same endeavor. I think that is very important and key contributing factor to what makes them so amazing! I highly recommend taking on an adventure like this through Greenheart Travel! <3

If you choose to be in a more remote area, be prepared not to meet many foreigners that you can relate to and use that opportunity to really delve into the culture. If you're shy like me, allow this opportunity to help you get out of your shell. Otherwise you WILL miss out on amazing experiences and adventures. It's okay to be uncomfortable sometimes. That's how we grow.
Lilly

TESOL in Hua Hin

I went through Greenheart Travel's TESOL course in Thailand in December 2018 to January 2019. The course was in Hua Hin, Thailand. This part of Thailand has plenty of adventure activities to do on the weekend such as waterfalls, temple caves, and elephant sanctuaries. However, this location is a town for foreign westerners looking for a beach town in good relation to Bangkok and southern islands. So western accommodations were available, but it is not authentic Thailand. With that being said the TESOL course prepares you for what teaching in authentic Thailand is like. This is an intensive and amazing course that could prepare you for teaching in any Asian country. I highly recommend getting your TESOL if you want to earn money while traveling and I suggest doing it through Greenheart Travel in person at one of their locations.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
The most surprising thing I did was on a free weekend our group decided to go on a weekend excursion to the local waterfalls. We were able to go at our own pace as there was only one path and five different waterfalls to check out. I was able to stay in the back and found a group of local Thai people in which they taught me the right spot to jump off into the waterfall. They also taught me how to swim with the catfish in the waters.
Emma

Such a great life experience!

I had a great experience with Greenheart for my TESOL program in Thailand! I felt very guided throughout the process including Visa paperwork, arrival information, and general support, leading to my arrival in Thailand.
They partner with an organization in Thailand called Xploreasia so when we arrived, we earned our TESOL through both organizations.

I chose Greenheart Travel because it was the only program I came across that provided the opportunity to do the TESOL course in Thailand, as opposed to online or the US. I am so glad I did this because after a week of cultural orientations, we studied and prepared for the TESOL certification while living in Chiang Mai. This allowed me to already have lived in the country for a month before I began teaching- an experience I couldn't imagine doing differently. It gave me lots of insight into life and expectations in Thailand and I don't think I would have been able to do it without Greenheart!

As far as my placement and actual teaching goes, I feel so incredibly lucky to be teaching the students I do. I teach Kindergarten ESL in Trang (the south of Thailand) and am loving every second of it. Controlling all those little munchkins and navigating life in a work environment where most people don't speak English is absolutely challenging, but extremely rewarding. I fully believe that anyone who is motivated to join an organization like this and start a new life abroad can, but it takes a lot. Long days and cross-cultural frustrations are the norm, but I know that once I return home (eventually..) I will be incredibly grateful for all of the experiences I've had. I would 100 percent recommend this life changing opportunity!

Do not say no to anything! Often times I've found myself worried about an experience that I've been presented with, but am pushing myself to say yes to each experience at least once. Because of this, I've joined volunteer beach cleanup organizations, got toured around my city by some Thai friends and saw caves and beaches I never could've found on a map, made good friends with Thai co-teachers at my school (plans to visit her house and see her pet sugar gliders soon!), learned about sustainable organic farmers markets in my town, and so much more.
Colton

Teacher

Going through Greenheart was an excellent decision! Working with their team was pleasant and stress free. They were very helpful and kind. I had a easy transition into Thailand and got a teaching position easily. I loved living in Thailand. I taught 2nd-5th grade. I was well prepared to teach to the students. I also helped teacher the other local teachers English! One morning I was about to start class and an elephant walked by our school! Love the kids and the people in my small rural town. I learned some words in Thai quickly that helped me get around. I enjoyed working at my school and had an opputnity to travel as well. Besides traveling around Thailand I also travel to Lao and Cambodia. I recommend Greenheart if you want to travel stress free and be happy!

Stay relaxed! Have fun and don’t have too many expectations!
Nicole

Beyond helpful and supportive

When I decided to move halfway across the world and change careers, I was looking for company that would provide me not only guidance but nonstop support in the move. Greenheart gave me just that and much, much more. They provided me with pre-departure information. They provided me with knowledge I could use upon my first arrival in Thailand. They would notify me if there was any change in the process to get the visa for Thailand . They gave me a community throughout this experience of past, current and future particiapants. They made it a family; a place to ask questions, big or small, and a place to meet people in my same position, making a huge move! Greenhearts continues to be their for me and gave me a place to call family! I’ve been beyond gracious and happy to have gone through Greenheart Travek!

Be ready for the unknown. Thailand is notorious for telling the foreigners last. You won’t always know when an event is being help, or when/how grades are due. You need to prepare yourself to “go with the flow” and never be told anything. This was the hardest thing to learn.

Alumni Interviews

Staff Interviews

About Greenheart Travel

Greenheart Travel is a 501(c)3 non-profit, mission driven organization based in Chicago, USA. We are passionate about providing immersive cultural immersion experiences for teenagers and adults in countries all over the world. We believe in the power...