By Greenheart Travel   Reviews (37)   94% Rating

Teach English in Thailand with Greenheart Travel

By Greenheart Travel   Reviews (37)   94% Rating

Teaching placements are available in local schools in rural and urban communities throughout Thailand. Whether you are thinking about pursuing a teaching career or just want to get to know a Thai community by becoming a part of it, teaching English in Thailand is a unique cultural immersion experience you will never forget.

With monthly start dates and top-of-the-line support before and throughout your time in Thailand, you'll have a blast as you explore Thailand, earn valuable work and life experience, and make friends from around the world.

We also offer a TEFL certification in either Chiang Mai or Hua Hin before you begin teaching.

Teachers applying for the 2017 Hua Hin program starting February 27 — December 27 will receive $150 OFF their program fee!

We are accepting applications year round - apply now for consideration!

Asia › Thailand
Teaching Practicum
Training Type
Classroom
Training Length
120hours
Job Placement
1500.00

Yes, you do learn how to teach IN Thailand! I had absolutely no teaching experience when I left to Thailand. I had just graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Political Science and decided to give it a...
You are given the opportunity to learn in Thailand! There is a TEFL course that is contracted through Xplore Asia (and equally amazing company) and it involves a one week orientation followed by 3 wee...
Yes, you learn how to teach IN Thailand and thank god! I had 0 experience besides babysitting (which doesn't even count) with teaching and the TESOL course prepares you as much as possible for the rea...

Rating Values

• Benefits
  • Facilities

Jazz

Always Two Steps Ahead Of You

Overall 10

Greenheart Travel was excellent in both preparing me to teach in Thailand and in helping me get there! They are there for you every step of the way. At times I would start to have questions, and before I could even reach out to them there would be an email with the answer in my inbox! They really have the whole Thai/teach abroad system down, and were super responsive if I ever needed help with anything!

Fabi
Chicago

Best Organization To Get You Started In Thailand

Overall 9

I'm currently teaching with a British agency in Thailand. I started with Greenheart in the US. They have a Thai partner that they basically passed me off to when I arrived here. That partner did my TESOL training and got me the job with my current agency. So I've had 3 different groups overseeing my trip at the various stages. I think I made the best decision by going with Greenheart to get me started. They have have professional staff and a great support group on social media to help answer any questions. They are also culturally aware and chose a Thai partner that shares that awareness. With my current agency I met a lot of other teachers that are here for the wrong reasons and completely unprepared. Greenheart's Thai partner provided us with Thai language, culture, history lessons, and more, all with great staff. Additionally, the group I was with was filled with pretty great people.

I do think that there was some misinformation upfront about some details (like what you should bring, for example), but it was nothing serious and can be attributed to 1) the Thai way of life which involves misinformation or last minute information and 2) English teachers are in high demand so all of these entities are struggling to keep up with the workload so details can get compromised. Fortunately, there is a great support system online where you can ask virtually anything and someone will offer insight. I definitely recommend Greenheart over the others.

See above
Provider Response

Thanks Fabiana! I'd love to hear your ideas on how to improve the slight miscommunication on what to bring that you mentioned. I am always updating our packing list, etc. so if you have things you thought should have been included, or other tips for me, please feel free to shoot me an email anytime. Getting updates like that from alumni is always super helpful to make sure everything is always up to date :) -- Sara

Lauren
Larchmont, NY
Tulane University

Go Greenheart!

Overall 10

Moving to the other side of the globe can be both daunting and extremely stressful. Greenheart took all that stress away and made the entire process easy so that instead of worrying about the nitty gritty details of getting my visa and preparing all the forms and documents needed for my life in Thailand, I was able to focus more on mentally preparing myself for the journey. Sara was great, she always answered my emails the day of and had answers for both the big and small questions. Also, the Facebook community was incredibly useful and answered all the questions I had from what immunizations to get to what kind of bag to pack. Greenheart made the transition truly smooth and easy. Although it is a little pricey, it is absolutely worth it to go with a reputable company that makes the process stress free! I would 100% go Greenheart again and recommend it HIGHLY to anyone thinking of making the jump abroad! just do it!!!

Go Greenheart!
Jacqui
Asheville, North Carolina

Easy and Smooth Transition Abroad!

Overall 9

If you're looking to teach abroad in Thailand and want an easy and smooth transition abroad, choose this program! Sara is AMAZING and makes the process very simple. She answers any emails, phone calls or questions you have within what seems like 30 seconds of reaching out to her! Obtaining your visa is made very easy and the program is definitely worth all of the other pre-departure assistance you receive. Once you've transitioned abroad you are paired up with another agency, but Greenheart continues to reach out to you and make sure you're adjusting smoothly. If for no other reason, go with Greenheart for Sara! She's wonderful!

Tim
Surin, Thailand
University of Wisconsin- Madison

An Incredible Experience via GHT

Overall 10

I participated in the Greenheart Travel (GHT) - Teach in Thailand program in the spring of 2015. The TESOL certification course, via XploreAsia, takes place in one of two locations- Hua Hin, a town on the beach closer to Bangkok, or Chiang Mai, the ancient cultural capital of the north, a city surrounded by mountains & national parks. I chose Chiang Mai.

GHT, is the recruiter, basically the company that finds, selects, & prepares candidates for the move to Thailand, to participate in the TESOL course and then go on to get placed to teach in a Thai school. So they screen applicants & assist with the application process which is extremely straight forward, no loopholes or fine print, providing all necessary program information, details, and support prior to departure, happily answering any and every question you may have, making you feel as comfortable and prepared as you possibly can be for an experience such as this. They were incredible.

Sara, the Teach Abroad Programs Senior Manager for GHT, is the one you work with during the application & pre-departure process, and is AMAZING. GHT is a reputable organization with a strong mission statement that they really get behind well, and that's more than I can say for other companies I looked into for a similar experience; GHT was the way to go.

After arriving in Thailand, the TESOL course is actually administered via a partner organization called XploreAsia, FYI, but they are amazing too. So GHT is the recruiter for XA's course, and then XA places you in a school. XA is wonderful, they know how Thailand works, they prepare you for teaching and Thai culture as much as possible, show you a great time in the city you're in during the course, and get you set up with a legitimate school & teaching agency. They are there as support if you need it once you're placed, as well as GHT! Once you arrive, GHT is more in the background, as their job is primarily to get you here and set up successfully, but you still get updates (e-mails & such) every now & then checking to make sure things are well, and updating you on the latest with their organization.

My time-frame for changing my life forever in Thailand:

November 2014 - Began Application Process with GHT.
December 2014 - Got accepted with GHT for TESOL/Teach English in Thailand program.
March 2015 - Moved to Thailand. Began TESOL course in Chiang Mai.
Currently - I am living in Isan (northeastern Thailand), teaching English at a local elementary & secondary school in a small elephant village in the middle of a bunch of sugar cane & rice fields. Every day is an adventure.

Make the leap, change your life, & change the lives of others. Do your best to come over with minimal expectations for what this experience holds, as they will get shattered; but come with an open mind, and I promise you will not be disappointed.

One of my favorite quotes: "There's no certainty, only opportunity."

The XA TESOL course itself was a bit rushed. Granted, our group was the largest they had had thus far in Chiang Mai, so everything took longer, and the Songkran holiday (the Thai new year) was right in the middle of our course, so that disrupted the flow of everything a bit (sooo worth it, Songkran ROCKS), but still, I did feel like maybe in the future they should allot time better for the TESOL course itself, or manage such a large group differently to alleviate the stress of squishing all of that learning into such a short time-frame.
Chelsea
Pomona, California
California State University- San Bernardino

Greenheart has been AMAZING!

Overall 9

Traveling and living in a foreign country has been a dream of mine for as long as I can remember. After graduating college I did extensive research on how I could live and work abroad. I originally signed up for the CELTA course in Chiang Mai through International House, but then a friend of a friend recommended me to Greenheart Travel. Right away, I could sense the difference in the two companies. While there were no faults in the CELTA course, Greenheart Travel contacted me the same day I said I was interested in the program. Sara, who is in charge of the Teach in Thailand program, was extremely knowledgable, as well as friendly and very approachable. I felt like I could ask her any questions I had and she would always respond so quickly, it blew my mind. She must be glued to her email everyday with all the questions people ask. You'll never find her anything other than happy to help though, and this was one thing I found to be really important about Greenheart Travel as a whole. I definitely was very well prepared in coming to Thailand, they made the visa process extremely easy for me and I was even able to get a Multiple Entry Non B without a problem, so no visa runs for me! I would highly recommend Multiple Entry if you can get it, the extra money is worth it because you'll end up spending that money on a visa run in the future anyways. Overall, I think I absolutely made the right decision in choosing Greenheart Travel. I couldn't have asked for a better experience in working with them, as well as Sara. I love the company and I think what they do is amazing, especially because they understand these experiences first-hand. So if you're unsure of what program to choose in guiding your overseas teaching adventure, go with Greenheart!

If there's anything I could recommend improving it would be that I wish I had more information about XploreAsia before coming to Thailand. I actually had no idea there was a partner company that would be taking over, even though it was probably mentioned at some point, (and they are equally as amazing). Also, if you sign up for the program and your start date is in the middle of a school semester, you may end up having to do a lot of the TESOL course online. I was a little bummed about that because I don't enjoy learning online, but the schools were in desperate need of teachers so XploreAsia had to send us out to our placements early. This shouldn't be an issue for you if you go on a more popular start date, where the semester will just be beginning. With that said, these improvements are very minor and I still would recommend Greenheart Travel in a heartbeat!
Provider Response

Thanks for the kind words, Chelsea!

We have eliminated the MixLearn online component of the course, so now all students will learn 100% in-person, in Thailand.

We only offered this option in the past in case a position/offer came in earlier than the course end date, that a teacher really wanted in their ideal location and couldn't pass up. This gave them at least the option to take the offer, and leave the course a few days early. We of course allowed anyone who wanted to finish the in-person 4 week course to stay if they wanted to turn down their offer. We do, however, fully understand the benefit of learning in person - and have eliminated this option from the course - so that everyone will complete a full course in person, every time.

We're glad you're enjoying your time in Thailand!

- Sara

Paula
Washington, DC
College of William and Mary

Go with Greenheart!!!

Overall 10

When I first thought about teaching English in Thailand, I spent months researching programs and reading reviews. I was so scared I'd pick the wrong one, as there are many out there that are only out to make money and provide little support after they get your payment. Greenheart Travel's Teach in Thailand program is nothing like that, and is worth every penny you pay! I did so much research, and I promise they are the best out there.

Sara at Greenheart (she's amazing!) is the Thailand program manager, and a young twenty-something who has also taught English abroad. She's so friendly, positive, and passionate about helping participants have an incredibly meaningful experience. It's really easy for you to relate to her, and vice-versa because she's been in your shoes. She probably answered a hundred random questions I had before I even applied, and was always prompt and honest in her replies. And even now that I'm back in the States, she has kept in touch and I still feel a part of the Greenheart community.

Some things that stood out about Greenheart: They are a non-profit, they have a reputable Board of Directors, their program managers are all young adults who have been in your shoes, they have an actual office in Chicago, they are organized, honest and want the best for their participants.

It's important to understand that Greenheart Travel is the recruiter, and they work closely with XploreAsia, who is their in-country partner. They explain this on their website. XploreAsia is equally great, and once you get to Thailand, XploreAsia will run your unforgettable orientation week (baby elephants, Muay Thai classes, blessings by monks, Thai lessons, a beach party BBQ, meeting some of the most wonderful people ever!), find you a guaranteed placement (be open-minded, you probably won't end up on an island), and connect you with your agent. Your agent will be the person you'll go to if you have any difficulties at your school. If for some reason your agent can't resolve an issue, you would go to XploreAsia for help, and if you have issues with XploreAsia, Greenheart serves as a third party to help resolve those.

Greenheart also has a "Greenheart Teach in Thailand" Facebook page where past, current and potential teachers can ask questions, share experiences and feedback, and it's completely open and un-biased. Greenheart also links participant's personal blogs to their website. Reading these offers an extremely real glimpse into what moving and teaching in Thailand is like. I'd suggest taking a look at them and the Facebook page if you're seriously interested.

If you decide to teach in Thailand, I'd suggest leaving all expectations at home. When you arrive, you'll discover that people are friendly, but there's a big "mai pen rai" attitude, meaning go with the flow, don't let things bother/get to you. Thai people rarely get angry or show over-emotion.

Thailand isn't a cushy country, and no matter how great and organized your program is, you will encounter difficulties and frustrating situations. Sometimes they may be at your school (most of the time, it's because you're always told after the fact about what is going on - one day I arrived at my school and was told I was going on a field trip, which I only discovered the location of once we arrived), travel frustrations (mini-buses of doom without seat belts and hotels that don't exist), cultural frustrations, etc. And it's always hot. You will sweat a lot. If you don't do well with things not going your way all the time, then this might not be the country for you.

I'd also suggest being financially stable before you come to Thailand. Don't expect to pay off students loans or credit card bills with the money you make...you can expect to probably "break even" (cover your program fee and flights, cost of living, a little in-country travel), if you teach for one semester. There's a lot of costs associated with getting settled in Thailand (transportation to your placement, deposits on lodging, buying things for your apartment, visa runs after 3 months can be around $120, travel on the weekends, etc.) and it just makes for a much more enjoyable experience if you don't have debt looming over your head!

I have heard the visa process has become a bit more difficult because the Thai government is cracking down on Non-B visas, and recruiters are suggesting tourists visas (with a visa run every month until your school can get you a Non-B or a work permit), or education visas (which are costly). It's not really an improvement that can be made by the recruiter, but for potential participants, it's a good thing to research and be aware of.
Indianapolis, Indiana
Ball State University

My Greenheart Sings So Loud

Overall 8

I reviewed Greenheart Travel several months ago towards the beginning of my time in Thailand. Now, after completing a year of service in Thailand, I feel more qualified to review this organization -- this incredible organization.

I had been living around Bangkok for the first 6 months of my stay. At the time, I didn't realize how great I really had it having many friends that I had made through Greenheart Travel so near -- just a bus ride away in most cases. After about 6 months, though, contracts were completed and the network of friends I had developed in Thailand became the network of friends I now had a 12 hour time difference with -- they went back to their home country. I was not ready to move on from Thailand and I wanted a more rural experience after living around Bangkok. I relocated to Northern Thailand to a very small, country-side town. I was alone and felt isolated being the only foreigner and English speaker in this village. I hadn't mentioned feeling this way on any platform, but Sara at Greenheart Travel had kept up with me and learned where I had relocated. She sent me a message letting me know of other Greenheart English teachers nearby that I can connect with! This made such a positive difference during my stay in rural Thailand. While it's incredibly important to integrate and interact with locals and to fully insert yourself into your new community -- I also know the benefits of having someone to talk to that speaks your language during this time, that understands what you're experiencing because they're experiencing it, as well. Greenheart Travels gets this.

This is just one example of Greenheart Travel's level of support, thoughtfulness, and innate empathy they have towards their teachers. With Greenheart Travel you're going to be cared for. If you're seeking to teach English or volunteer abroad and you're weighing out your options -- just go with Greenheart Travel.

Charlotte
Richmond, VA
Virginia Tech

Greenheart is #1!

Overall 10

I honestly could not have picked a better program provider than Greenheart. Sara Dorsey and the rest of the Greenheart team seriously amazed me. They are constantly bombarded with hundreds of questions from both future and current participants, yet they answer every single question in a timely manner. Tip: When in doubt, ask! Everyone else is probably wondering the same thing! Greenheart is extremely organized, professional, and thorough. They are experts at what they do, so they cover everything you will need before departing on your adventure. For example, they have packets of information they give to everyone prior to departure that answers a TON of your questions (Will someone pick me up from the airport? What kind of visa do I need? Etc.). Greenheart really seemed to be the most experienced and most reputable company when I was researching my options, and I spent hours doing so. But aside from professionalism, I honestly chose greenheart because of the community it builds. Even before departure, I had 30 new friends that I could chat with/ask questions before I even got to Thailand. Also, through their Facebook page (for past, present, and future participants) I was able to contact previous participants and ask them questions (What shoes should I bring? Would I be able to buy ____ in Thailand or should I bring some from home? Etc.). No other program has the community that Greenheart has. I can honestly say that those 30 strangers became my best friends over the orientation month, and being able to ask past participants questions reduced my stress TREMENDOUSLY!

So overall, PICK GREENHEART! I would truly recommend them to anyone. I did a lot of thorough research before choosing a program and Greenheart was #1 on my list over and over again. They offer the full package and more.

If you are considering doing this program, please JUST DO IT! You won't regret it, I promise!

I really don't have any complaints about the program. They truly exceeded my expectations. But if I had to pick out something, it would probably be the visa process. Although GH gives you a ton of information about what you'll need to get a visa and what types there are, they could have given a little more information on the different consulates. Some consulates gave out Non-Immigrant B Visas (the one you want!) without any issues, while others hesitated to even give you a Tourist visa. I did some research myself and found out which consulates were less strict and therefore were more likely to give me the Non B (which is why I mailed my information to a different consulate than the Washington DC consulate which was closest to me). I am SO glad I did so, because it saved me a lot of hassle. I definitely recommend doing some research and trying to get the Non B before you depart. Yes, it's not a huge deal if you aren't able to because you can do a visa run after you arrive, but it'll save you a lot of time, money, and stress!! Perhaps Greenheart could give participants the names of the consulates/embassies that are more willing to give out Non-Bs based off the past! Other than that, Greenheart is amazing at what they do!
Provider Response

Thanks Charlotte! We have revamped our visa guide, and now have suggested consulates to apply with to make this process even easier, like you suggested. We haven't had any issues with our applicants getting the Non B visa, so we hope this helps in the future even more. Thanks for your feedback and help in making the program even better for future participants!

North Carolina
University of North Carolina- Wilmington

Loved it!

Overall 9

Teaching in Thailand through greenheart was my first time going abroad and overall it was a great experience. The airport pick up and prearranged hotel was great after the more than 30 hours of travel to get to Thailand. Everything through greenheart was great, on the xplore Asia side I would have appreciated it if there was more information given to us on how to get around in suburban placements as the focus was on Bangkok proper and rural areas.

Another thing I love about the program is that the people at xplore Asia were encouraging and said they would help us find other placements if ours didn't work out or if we decide to come back to Thailand to teach again. Since I ended up leaving at the end of the semester I am happy that this option is still there for me in the future.

More of an emphasis on culture and language preparation before departure. We were given all the resources but without a bolded "you need to do this or it will be way harder" I let the info fall by the wayside until a few days before departure since I was in my last semester of college. Maybe finding a list of videos and strongly recommending watching them because that seems like it would be more helpful than written information that can be skimmed.
Ben
Chumphuang, Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand
University of Saint Thomas

An Amazing Adventure

Overall 10

Greenheart Travel was so helpful in getting me set up with XploreAsia in order to get TESOL certified in Thailand! Sara Dorsey and other staff were extremely helpful in answering boatloads of questions that myself and others had prior to our journey to this amazing country. I would recommend asking a lot of questions, no matter how dumb they may seem. Chances are there are a bunch of other people wondering the exact same thing you are --- so don't be shy. I am so thankful that I chose Greenheart in getting set up here in Thailand. The amount of stress that I have been saved cannot be measured! I most definitely recommend using Greenheart Travel to help you go abroad, no matter where you want to end up!

You can't fix it if it isn't broken.
Yonkers, New York
University of Connecticut

Teach in Thailand

Overall 10

Greenheart travel is incredibly organized and made the process of getting to Thailand very easy. Sara was constantly in touch from the moment I showed interest in the program. She responded to inquiries almost instantly and was happy to provide as much information as I needed. The process was just as organized once getting to Thailand. I felt so prepared arriving in Thailand through Greenheart travel, I would recommend this program in a heartbeat!

Brittany
Satuk, Buriram, Thailand
University of Lethbridge

Amazing program

Overall 10

So far this experience has been amazing! It was so easy to use Greenheart, and a relief to have everything planned out and organized while you were getting ready to leave for the trip! It made it very easy to move across the world and start a new life.

Everything was very organized and there really is not anything that I would improve about the program.
Nichol
Los Angeles, California

Greenheart is Incredible!!

Overall 10

After researching quite a few agencies, Greenheart stood out as the most professional company out there. I applied very early on and Sara kept in great contact throughout the entire process; everything from providing information about the country, giving great directions with the visa process, and being an overall general support. Her encouragement through social media such as Facebook is also a wonderful touch that makes the company feel they're right there with you through the whole experience. Would definitely recommend Greenheart to anyone considering Teaching in Thailand.

Sara and Greenheart were more than amazing; however, when fully immersed in Thailand, it would benefit all teachers to learn "mai pen rai" as soon as possible!
Richard
Det Udom, Thailand
University of Colorado- Boulder

Loved working through and with Greenheart

Overall 9

A previous participant with Greenheart recommended the program to me. When I started looking for programs to work with, I had really no idea where to start and had heard there were fraudulent and fake programs out there. Thank goodness I had this friend who went through Greenheart, she made my decision very easy.

Once I had applied, the help and support was insane. I knew I had picked the right program. Sara Dorsey is AMAZINGLY and she helped me with even the tiniest nit picky questions (I mean you are traveling to a country you have never been to!).

In summary, I wouldn't change a thing about my process in getting over here to Thailand. I would highly recommend Greenheart and Sara to anyone looking to get involved with teaching English abroad.

Previous to our departure, there was only one meet and greet slash information call. I think I would have liked a couple of them, even if they were shorter.
Kate
Lansdale, Pennsylvania
Shippensburg University

Greenheart Travel is the Only Way to Travel!

Overall 9

When I made the decision to teach in Thailand, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. But the moment I chose Greenheart, the support and information started flooding in. Even before I applied, the website posts blogs from other participants the provide you with a snapshot of what your life is going to be like for the next six months. It is important to realize that you are passed on to Xplore Asia, which is an equally amazing company, upon your arrival. It may seem a little bit unclear as to what is actually going to be going on after your arrive in hotel, but it all becomes clear once you reach your orientation date. It is great because although you have been transferred to another program, Greenheart Travel, keeps up to date with you on social media. Even when they are just liking or commenting on facebook, you can still feel the same support as before you left the states.

A lot of the comfortability from pre-departure was brough on by Sara Dorsey! She was always so willing to answer any questions and is so easy to talk to. Even when I was freakishly nervous on my Skype interview, after talking to Sara, the adventure became real and I became more at peace with my decision.

Overall, Greenheart Travel is the most amazing company to go through if you want to teach abroad. And a lot of the other groups, who came through a different employer, ended up wishing they had done the same after we talked about the differences!

The Visa process was daunting and I wish there would have been some clarity as to which consulates are more difficult to get through. And also, the problems that may arise if we receive a different Visa such as the ED or Tourist.

Anna
Khlong Yai, Thailand

Greenheart All the Way

Overall 10

A previous participant recommended I travel to Thailand with Greenheart, and I have never once regretted my decision. Greenheart gave me certainty in unfamiliar territory. Greenheart bridges the communication gap between America and Thailand. My trip has gone seemlessly so far and I cant wait to see what's in store. I honestly havent needed to contact Greenheart since I've been in Thailand. When I was in the states any thing I needed was responded to quickly and efficiently. I really couldn't have asked for a better experience thus far! Thank you Greenheart!

I would probably ask that what I was paying for be more explicit. I wasn't sure exactly what the fee included and why I needed it until I was already here!
Carly
Boulder, Colorado

Amazing company

Overall 10

Greenheart was an awesome company to go through. Sara Dorsey is the most amazing person for the job, and helped every step of the way, even if no information was asked for her to give. She was on top of every detail 100% and made sure the process went as smooth as possible. When we were handed over to Xplore Asia, the experience was similar. Both companies are extremely organized and know exactly what they were doing. I wouldn't have changed a thing, and if I had to do it all over again, I would go through Greenheart in a heartbeat. You don't realize what you are paying for until you get over it and then it all starts to come together and make sense. I've had the most amazing month in Thailand thus far and can't wait to start teaching next week.

I would have loved to stay with the other groups who did the TESOL course but other than that everything was seamless and went as smoothly as it could've.
Chandler
Hua Hin. Thailand
Florida State University

Greenheart Travel = AMAZING

Overall 10

After looking through so many different programs I finally decided on Greenheart Travel and I couldn't be happier with my choice. They helped me with everything from my visa to what to pack. Sara Dorsey even helped me when I ran into a transportation issue when I decided to arrive early and travel. Greenheart helped me every step of the way and their partnership with XploreAsia is awesome. Both companies are the best at what they do, I highly recommend them and have already referred them to some of my friends.

I have a website where I blogged my first month of the program, it is filled with pictures and videos if you're interested in checking out more about what I did feel free to go to, www.chasingchandler.com

bottom line, Greenheart is the way to go, if I had to do it again, I would 100% choose them.

The visa process was a little bit tricky, so maybe a little bit more support, but they did provide the necessary documents, it's just doing things with the Thai Embassy can be confusing.
Michael
Chiang Mai, Thailand
College of Wooster

It's exactly what it needs to be

Overall 10

I have had a positive experience working with Greenheart Travel to teach English in Thailand. Greenheart essentially facilitates pairing with its partner organization in Thailand that provides the actual TESOL course and placement. Greenheart offered a fair price, and helped facilitate what is essentially a hand off to the partner organization. Greenheart took care of all the fees and paperwork I needed to participate in the partner's TESOL course and placement. I can't comment on Greenheart's support system post-hand off because I haven't needed it. I did receive a follow up email which suggests they could be used as a resource.

The program really only handled the hand off to the partner organization which it executed flawlessly.
Matt
Chonnabot, Thailand

Great Experience so Far!

Overall 9

I had always wanted to experience a new culture more than just as a tourist. Teaching English in Thailand has definitely done that for me. Greenheart Travel was more than helpful with my placement process in Thailand. They provided me with all of the services and materials that would be needed when I got to Thailand. I would have been completely lost without their help.

Chase
Chicago, IL
Waldorf College

I Heart Greenheart Travel

Overall 10

I'm not actually teaching English in Thailand at the moment, but I am teaching English in Yangon, Myanmar, through Greenheart Travel and XploreAsia. However, I did go through a week-long orientation in Thailand before arriving in Myanmar. It was so fun and beneficial.

I'd highly recommend both programs, although I'm biased about Myanmar. It's an incredible country with so many possibilities! I have many friends who have, or are currently teaching English in Thailand through Greenheart. They've had very good things to say about the experience.

I've also taught in South Korea through Greenheart Travel and EPIK. Greenheart provides so much support throughout the application and job placement process. I felt very prepared and encouraged to teach thanks to Greenheart. And Greenheart continues to be a positive source of support as I teach in Yangon. Staff members genuinely care about how I'm doing, and periodically check in to make sure all is well.

I really appreciate the life-changing opportunities I've had through Greenheart Travel! You will, too.

The one thing everyone has to remember is when you live in another country, the key to success is community integration. In addition, no one will have the same experience. Make your own experience the best it can be. Don't compare.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
University of New Mexico

Go to Thailand

Overall 9

Absolutely nothing can prepare you for this experience, but Greenheart Travel does a wonderful job at making you feel like you are ready. Because you are. In the end, this is about your journey to expand your borders, inside and out. Be open and this organization will indubitably lead you to a wonderful adventure.

Their partner organization, Xplore Asia, should have been discussed more overtly while still in America.

Hi Kayla!

Thanks for the feedback. We've taken it into account and now introduce the Thai partners and staff in all of our materials and before teachers get there in a more in-depth way. Hopefully this will make the program even better, so thanks for the feedback - as always.

We're so glad you enjoyed Thailand!

Sara

Erica
Nashville, TN
Western Kentucky University

Greenheart Teach in Thailand!

Overall 10

Greenheart was an amazing company to work with for this experience! They basically laid the application out for you, and sent all the necessary paperwork that was needed for a visa. They were so organized with the step-by-step process which made things so much easier. They were always so quick to respond to questions, and helped out whenever there were any issues.

Sara was a fantastic contact to have while in Thailand. She was always there for support, or to give advice, for different situations whether they were in Thailand or in other countries. It was so nice to work with someone who had been through the teaching experience before, and knew what it was like to live abroad.

You can tell how passionate this company is for cross cultural exchange, and their passion made this experience so much better. I would 100% work with this company again!

I was originally accepted to an alternative start date that was different from when I actually went. There was an overflow of participants on the original date so some of us had to be moved to a another one. That was a bit frustrating since I wasn't told that until way later after I was accepted, and had already planned for the original date which was 3 weeks earlier.

There also wasn't much communication about the partner company we would be working with in Thailand, and how through them we would go through someone else (an agent) with our actual school. In some situations the agents ended up being fantastic, and some ended up being pretty bad.

It also cost a lot more to get started over here then the round about number that was actually given, and I started to run out of money before the first paycheck came in. The salary over here is also different then what was stated on the website. I ended up getting more then what was said, but I know other people ended up getting way less too.

Although there are a lot of little things that came up, that's just a part of living abroad. The experience with them was amazing overall. As long as you have a "go with the flow" mindset, you'll be just fine!!
Aankita
CHicago, Illinois

Greeheart is AWESOME!

Overall 10

Greenheart provided guidance before take off, during teaching, and even after I got home! They kept in constant touch; which made me feel comfortable through my trip. I highly recommend making Greenheart as part of your journey! :)

Northern, Wisconsin
University of Wisconsin- Madison

Go GREENHEART!!!

Overall 10

I found Greenheart to be everything I was looking for in a program! Their support before, during, and after has been everything I needed. They reached to us to make sure we were all set with our Visas, set up an online forum so we could meet people we would be traveling with before we left, reached out to us shortly after we arrived to make sure our agents their were helpful, and right about the time Culture shock sets in, they personally reached out to us to help us with dealing with that. Couldn't really have asked for more!

The application process was long and there were times I didn't know if I was going or not because of space limitations. I felt like more staff to handle that many people may have allowed them to get to us more quickly, but regardless, any time I did have questions, someone answered me very quickly.
Kara
Chicago
University of Illinois- Chicago

Highly Recommended

Overall 10

Greenheart Travel went above and beyond my expectations. I was traveling alone and had never taught before and Greenheart made sure they did everything they could to make sure I was prepared to start my adventure!

Going abroad to teach is a difficult (but exciting) decision and can be overwhelming to get all your ducks in a row. Greenheart Travel provided in-depth material on what to expect, what to take, what not to take. They also handled all the paperwork involved in getting my visa so all I had to do was walk to the Thai consulate and turn everything in. They could not have made the preparation stage of my trip any easier.

They also have a Facebook group so before I even left, I was able to connect with other teachers who were going to Thailand at the same time I was. I had planned to travel alone, but because of Greenheart's amazing support network, I was never solo. I even had 5 other Greenheart teachers on my flight to Bangkok!

Sara did an incredible job answering any questions or concerns I had about teaching and living abroad. Because you get placed in a school after you arrive in Thailand, there are a lot of "if's" but Sara was sure to give very informative answers.

Even after I arrived in Thailand and was dealing mostly with Greenheart's in-country partner company, Sara was always available to help me with any problems I had.

I always felt very supported and know that Sara and the Greenheart team have the teachers best interests in mind. I never had any doubts about choosing Greenheart's program and I would highly recommend Greenheart Travel to anyone interested in teaching abroad.

Thomas
Suphan Buri, Thailand
Monash South Africa

An experience you won't forget

Overall 9

Firstly, a big thank you to Sara from Greenheart as well as to Greenheart themselves. Without them I wouldn't be where I am right now. It's hard to depict over the phone, or via Skype, the entire scope of a country and what to expect once you get there, though I felt Sara did an admirable job at preparing us, as best she could, as to what Thailand is all about. She is very knowledgeable about their partner company here in Thailand and is more than willing to share any information with you upon your request. Understand however, that there is a lot of information, so sometimes it is also about asking the right questions.

Most of my 'dealings' with Greenheart occurred prior to my departure for Thailand, as I then shifted my focus to dealing predominantly with their partner company once I was here. However, I found that they were still on hand, day and night, to provide assistance and answer any inquiries that I had even once I had technically been 'handed over'.

The support in obtaining all the necessary documents (for visa purposes) as well as the screening and interviewing process (although sometimes, a bit daunting and intimidating) is without a doubt, of a very high standard, and quite frankly, I wouldn't have it any other way. Sara does make sure that you have all the necessary documentation before leaving your home country as well as (through the screening process) an almost guaranteed chance to get placement before the TESOL course is even over.

Greenheart leaves you under no illusion before you leave your respective countries that, this is not a holiday or vacation and that, you are in fact joining one of the most respected professions, not only in Thailand, but internationally. My biggest piece of advice, if I could call it that, would be to stay open minded and to bring with you an accepting nature. Expectations can often lead to disappointments but, without expectations you will always get more than you expected.

That being said, there is no reason not to have fun while you are out here, and believe me, you will have more than your fair share of fun while you are on the TESOL course. The staff here are absolutely great, extremely friendly and are extremely keen to help you succeed as a teacher in Thailand.

If you are on the verge of taking the program and need a little push in the right direction, allow me to make things simple for you. It is an amazing program and one which I would sincerely recommend to anyone wanting to become a teacher in Thailand.

Take the leap and enjoy the flight.

Good luck to you all.

It would have been nice to have some correspondence with the partner company here in Thailand before actually leaving my home country, as for a while I was under the illusion that I would be working with Greenheart here in Thailand. While this in itself was not a problem, as I had no issues with either company, it would have just been nice to know.
While I understand Thailand may not be for everyone, the depiction of Thailand that we get abroad is often of white beaches with clear blue oceans, not that this is Greenheart's fault, but I do feel a little informative video about the 'real' Thailand and some of the possible placement locations would be a welcome addition to the pre-departure, and possibly even pre-screening, process to give prospective teachers a better understanding of what they might experience once they are here.
Lastly, it would have been nice to know that Greenheart is not the only partner of the company here and that there will in fact be teachers from other companies here as well. Although this does help you form a much bigger network of friends and teachers throughout Thailand once your placement has been guaranteed.
Kristin
HuaHin Thailand
Loyola University Chicago

Greenheart is great!

Overall 8

My boyfriend and I went through greenheart to go to Thailand. Sara, with greenheart, was so supportive and prompt at answering all of our questions. She gave us quick feedback and helped along! Go Greenheart!

I wish we would have had a closer connection with the partner group. I wish we could have meet the leaders of the local partner before coming here and gotten to join the Facebook group etc.
DB
Nonthaburi, Thailand
Union College

Good company - especially for 1st time travellers

Overall 9

Prior to coming to Thailand, I had never traveled on my own, so I really had no idea how to approach the whole process of going abroad and searching for a job. I chose Greenheart largely because they seemed to offer a great deal of guidance in this regard, and they did not disappoint!

Their application and preparation process is simple, highly structured, and ensures that you'll have everything you need before getting on a plane (proper visas, required documents for obtaining a teaching license, newly formatted resume, arranged airport pickup, etc).

It's tough to comment on Greenheart's support once you're in-country, however, as they hand you off to their partner organization who are based in Thailand. The partner organization is the company that will be instructing you during your TESOL course, finding you a teaching placement, and providing you with in-country support. Greenheart is still available and willing to offer assistance via email, but my dealings with them were very limited after arriving in Thailand.

Despite being led by a separate company, I'll briefly comment on the TESOL course, as Greenheart assures their clients of its quality, and it is the key part of the package they are selling. The partner organization is a great company, and I had an awesome time during the TESOL course. The staff were friendly and helpful, I met some great friends, and I learned as much as I could have hoped to in only 4 weeks.

Even after the course and the English camp it was still pretty intimidating to go right into teaching my own classes only a few days later. But as I said, the course is only a month long, so don't expect to walk out as an expert teacher. The course will definitely introduce you to the fundamentals of teaching English and classroom management; but be prepared for what can be a pretty intense sort of "trial by fire" once you move onto your placement. Teaching in Thailand is truly a job that you can only learn through actual experience.

Overall, I would definitely recommend Greenheart, especially to 1st time travelers.

Until I actually payed my deposit and got a little deeper into the application process, Greenheart never mentioned that I'd be dealing with a separate company once I was in Thailand. I never had any actual problems with either company, but it was a bit surprising and confusing. There are also a couple minor details on Greenheart's website that aren't 100 percent true, such as the guaranteed 30,000 baht per month salary. I ended up making a good deal more than this, but I know others who were payed about 25,000 baht.
Bangkok, Thailand
Ball State University

Greenheart Travel Review

Overall 8

From the very beginning of my experience with Greenheart Travel, when I was simply reaching out for more information about their programs, to now when I am nearing the completion of my first semester teaching in Thailand -- they have gone above and beyond in terms of support and service. The team does an incredible job staying in touch and trying to make sure your time is going as smoothly as possible for the most part. They, also, do a fantastic job at making sure you're prepared and for the most part are fairly upfront with you about what to expect and not expect. I feel like the staff really does care about their program participants and it is comforting knowing that I do have a support and a connection if any issue should arise while living and working alone in Thailand.

I feel like the difficulties and challenges I have faced have been a result of the particular culture I am trying to adapt to, not necessarily connected to Greenheart Travel.

I would recommend Greenheart Travel and have.

I do feel as though the cost is a bit high for the programs. Also, I would suggest being a bit more upfront about how much money to actually bring and more upfront about the living conditions the participants should expect. (No hot water, no flushing toilet, smog, lack of sanitation, etc.)
Jesse
I am in Satun, Thailand
Edinboro University

Excellent Recruiter

Overall 10

The amount of support and continuous contact with the staff at Greenheart Travel is a refreshing breath of much needed air. My contact, Sara, is not only very knowledgable and able to answer all my questions, but she also makes sure that everyone get the individual attention that they require to make sure that their transitions overseas are as smooth as possible.

A specific example that stands out would be our ventures into the visa process and not having papers that we did not know were required. A single call to Greenheart and their associates in Thailand had the papers in our hand within 24 hours. It is not every recruiter that takes the time after hours to make sure their teachers are well cared for.

I can only speak good things about this company and I most definitely recommend them to any teacher looking to travel and expand their horizons.

There is a lot of misinformation about Thailand and how the educational process works here. Granted, this is not Greenheart's fault for not being able to prepare teachers for individual experiences, however, what is offered and what is received once in Thailand is heavily dependent on the schools and agencies you are placed with. Greenheart does mention this lightly, but it is a heavy topic and should be stressed during discussions.
Jeff
Sukhothai, Thailand
University of Portland

Very helpful

Overall 8

Sarah Dorsey at Greenheart Travel has been a tremendous help and very encouraging to my fellow teachers. It can be somewhat stressful gathering all necessary documents and logistics and Sarah pulled everything together to make my initial jet setting smooth and painless. Through Sarah's communication via email, skype or facebook, it was clear to me that she made a fantastic effort to create a positive community of teachers abroad to ensure culture shock and change was a more enjoyable experience.

Greenheart advertises as a 6 month program with opportunity for extension. Their partner Xplore Asia advertises to Thai agents a year long commitment from it's teachers. This discrepancy can create some discord with agents and foreign teachers when we arrive and claim to stay only 6 months.
Elyse
Chiang Rai, Thailand
State University of New York- New Paltz

Greenheart Travel

Overall 8

My experience so far has been incredible. I live in a small town in the most Northern part of Thailand. I eat delicious food everyday (for less than $1), I have seen a baby elephant walking through my town, and random Thai people will pick me up on their scooters and give me free rides. My students are also the sweetest and happiest kindergarteners! The worst part of my trip so far is that my apartment has no heat or hot water so my showers are freezing cold. However, I only pay 60 US dollars a month so I feel a little guilty complaining.

I honestly thought that I was going to be living with or near another English Teacher. My closest friend lives an hour from me. It would be nice if I was with someone.
travel4444
Map Ammarit, Chumphon, Thailand
University of Delaware

Teaching in Thailand

Overall 9

Some highlights of my travels so far:
- Getting to go to an elephant sanctuary
- Taking a muay thai lesson
- Exploring the night markets and eating nutella & banana rotee!
- Getting a foot fish spa and thai massage.

Some difficulties:
- Teaching in a rural village can be lonely
- Frustration with the language barrier

A little more assistance with the visa application process…. I ended up traveling around a little bit before heading to Bangkok for the program and therefore had to apply for my visa even earlier and didn't have to the proper paperwork to apply for my work visa at this earlier date.
jonathanknox
Satun, Thailand
San Francisco State University

Teaching in Satun

Overall 8

Greenheart as a company is excellent, they are very pleasant and helpful. The Tesol course in Hua Hin with Xplore Asia was a lot of fun and very informative, but we have had difficulties with our placement agent. They were nice, but gave us a lot of conflicting/untrue information and we had to jump through several hoops and find our own accommodation.

It would be helpful to have more information on what to expect from and how to work with placement agents once inside Thailand.
Paul
Suphanburi, Thailand right now. (Iowa is my home state)
University of Iowa

Review of Teach In Thailand with Greenheart Travel / CCI

Overall 10

My name is Paul Hoffman and I am an English Teacher with Greenheart Travel's Teach In Thailand May 2011 program. The orientation for my 5 month program started on May 8, 2011 in Bangkok and I'll be teaching English here in Suphanburi, Thailand until October 5, 2011. This has been an EXCELLENT adventure! The managers and staff at Greenheart Travel in Chicago have been with me every step of the way starting back in October of 2010. They offered me different teaching programs in different countries and helped me decide on the right program after answering about 150 questions from me! They helped with every step of the application / qualification process and the Thailand Non-Immigrant VISA - which can be a challenge! In fact, I still write to Greenheart Travel every Monday and send them my Blog called 'Chalk Dust' which is posted on their website. Teaching here in Thailand has been an exciting, exhilarating, nerve racking, and 'pushing me to go outside my box' experience. I've never taught in school before. In fact, I've been out of High School for 30 years and now I'm back at school teaching English to 7th and 10th grade students - and these students don't have English as their first launguage! After arriving in Thailand I had to get used to a new culture very quickly, set up my basic living space, and develope lesson plans for class - and that was in the first week and a half. Thailand is known as the 'Land Of Smiles' and the Thai people are very warm and welcoming. As long as I say a few words in Thai and smile, they are willing to help any way they can. I always remember to keep things simple when teaching or developing lesson plans because the Thai students are trying to absorb a new language - English. I remember just trying to learn how to say 'Good Morning' and 'How Are You' and Count from One to Ten in Thai and I got soooooo lost! Since I was lost with those simple words, I just imagine what the Thai students must be going through trying to learn English! So, I keep it simple and adapt the lesson quickly if need be. The weather in Thailand is hot, the food is spicy, and the way of life is laid back and fun! I now wish that I would have signed up for the 10 month program. Who knows, maybe I'll come back next year?? If you come here, always remember to look to the right first when crossing the street! I learned that the hard way - ha!

Greenheart Travel is excited to provide authentic cultural immersion experiences for teenagers and adults in countries all over the world. Our programs include volunteer opportunities, short and long term teaching contracts and work and internship positions abroad. We also offer TEFL certification, high school study abroad programs and teen summer language camp courses. Our mission is to change lives, advance careers and create leaders through meaningful travel experiences.

Teach English Abroad | Volunteer Abroad | High School Study Abroad | TEFL Courses | Teen Language Camps | Work Abroad

Community Photos: