Teach English in Thailand on a Paid Semester or Summer Teaching Contract with Greenheart Travel

Greenheart Travel’s paid English teaching program in Thailand is your chance to make an incredible impact in the classroom while getting paid to travel. Teaching placements are available in local schools in rural and urban communities throughout Thailand.

Whether you are thinking about pursuing a teaching career or just want to get to know a Thai community, teaching English in Thailand is a unique cultural immersion experience you will never forget. We also offer a TEFL certification in either Chiang Mai or Hua Hin before you begin teaching.

Program-at-a-Glance:
-Monthly guaranteed salary of at least 30,000 THB per month
-Placements in kindergartens, elementary, middle, and high schools
-Monthly start dates, year round
-Airport pickup, insurance for 4 months and excursions during a 1-week orientation are included

Program Fee:
- Teaching Placement Only: $1,570
- Teaching Placement + TESOL course: $2,370
- Summer 6 Week Teaching Program: $1550

• 1 week orientation (+ optional 3 week TESOL certification) in either Hua Hin or Chiang Mai
  • One semester PAID contracts (semesters are around 4 months long but your commitment might be shorter if you arrive in the middle of a semester)
  • Paid summer 6-Week teaching program available
  • Full-time teaching placements in kindergartens, elementary, middle, and high schools
  • Full support from Greenheart Travel staff before, during and after your teaching program
Asia » Thailand
Salary / Benefits
-- Full time, paid teaching placement in Thailand with a guaranteed salary of at least 30,000 THB per month
-- International medical and accident insurance coverage provided for the first 4 months
-- Accommodation during orientation
-- TESOL Course Option: hotel accommodation is included for the entire month of your course
Qualifications
Native English Speaker
At a minimum, a degree equivalent to a U.S. 4 year bachelor’s degree
A TEFL/TESOL certification is required unless you majored in Education (but you can add this on as part of your program!)
Ages 20-50
Citizen of the US, CA, UK, Ireland, Au, NZ, South Africa
Be in great mental and physical health
No criminal record (with the exception of traffic or other minor violations)
An adventurous attitude and strong flexibility are a must
Weekly Classroom Hours
Some Accommodation
Some Activities
Some Meals
-- Accommodation during orientation
-- Pre-departure support and orientation from an experienced Greenheart Travel Program Manager
-- Airport pickup
-- One week comprehensive orientation upon arrival
-- Transfer from Bangkok to Hua Hin for Hua Hin Participants (Chiang Mai participants will fly directly to Chiang Mai)
-- 24 hour in-country support for duration of the program
-- “Culture Smart” Thailand Customs & Culture Guidebook
-- Greenheart Travel T-Shirt

Yes, we have a 6 week program in the summertime!
Yes, you learn how to teach IN Thailand and thank god! I had 0 experience besides babysitting (which doesn't even count) with teaching and the TESOL course prepares you as much as possible for the real thing. However, the real thing is a bit different than the classroom prep you do during the course because every school and every grade is different throughout the country. With that being said, I f...

• Benefits
  • Facilities

Kristen
Thailand
University of Kansas

Why teaching in Thailand is one of the best things I've ever done

I moved to Thailand over a year ago to take my TESOL course and begin teaching and I'm still here! When researching different ways I could complete a TESOL and find job placement in Asia, there were seemingly endless options. A friend recommended me to the Greenheart Travel website, which immediately showed me the most comprehensive package yet. The fact that I was able to take the course IN the country I would be teaching, and that it included a cultural certificate specific to my new home away from home, quickly sealed the deal for me. Throughout my research, application process, and all the way until I got on the airplane, Sara Dorsey Thacker of Greenheart Travel provided ample information and support. It was this comprehensive support that led me to choose Greenheart Travel over other programs, including: obtaining a visa, advice on packing and preparations, access to an online community of peer support, assistance in preparing my credentials and paperwork, navigating flights, airports, customs, and arranging a pick-up on the other side. This support continued with my TESOL course, and onto my job placement. Sara and her team at Greenheart Travel have the experience and understanding to help you through your transition abroad, navigating culture shock, and making the most of your experience.

group photo
Jeff

Teaching in Bangkok

All I knew when I started this adventure is that I wanted to see and fully experience a different part of the world. I knew next to nothing about teaching or Thailand but was eager to dive into the experience and see how it would change me. While I write this review only 3 months into my experience I couldn't be more thrilled with how things have been thus far.
Leaving the US for the first time and traveling solo across the globe brought plenty of anxiety, questions to answer, and opportunities to give up before even getting started. However, once I committed to signing up with Greenheart Travel I gained a support system that would make the details of getting started a breeze. Sara Thacker was my trusted advisor and was personable and knowledgeable in helping answer any questions I had about how to make the leap. Not only did she and the Greenheart team make the experience of getting here and settling in easy but they made the logistics enjoyable. Walking through the steps and talking with Sara helped me turn the nerves into excitement and had me eager to board that plane.
Three months in and feeling more and more at home here in Bangkok is all thanks to the support Sara & Greenheart continue to provide, always letting me know I've got people back home looking out! Nothing makes the experience of moving to a foreign place on the other side of the planet more adventurous and less challenging than having a strong support group backing you. Sara & the Greenheart team fit that roll exceptionally, and I can't recommend their guidance enough in starting this adventure for yourself!

Jon

Great Experience

I am so happy I found Greenheart to help launch my teaching adventure in Thailand. This organization has supported me every step of the way, providing expert guidance that has made for a seamless transition. Sara, Greenheart's Senior Program Manager, has truly been a pleasure to work with. Sara's level of professionalism, responsiveness and attention to detail made an inherently difficult process remarkably simple. Beyond the logistics, Sara really humanized the process by sharing stories from her personal experience and offering thoughtful reassurance. I highly recommend Greenheart to anyone interested in teaching in Thailand!

Ally
Chicago, IL
West Virginia University

Awesome Experience

My experience teaching aboard in Thailand through Greenheart was AMAZING! I received awesome support from day 1. Sara Dorsey Thacker answered all of my questions and made me feel comfortable as I got ready head abroad. I had done a good bit of travel before this program, but I still was nervous. This was something completely different! Sarah and Greenheart made sure everything was taken care of and that I felt comfortable.

I taught at a school in Chonburi, Thailand for 5 months. I loved it! I made great friends and still keep in touch with my students almost daily. I felt supported, safe and confidant in my classroom and my town.

I can’t wait to go back and visit my students one day!

Emma
Chaiyaphum City, Chaiyaphum, Thailand
University of Wisconsin- Madison

First Time Abroad: Teaching in Thailand

GreenHeart Travel was the perfect program for me. Before Thailand, I had never left the States; I had always dreamed of traveling, but never thought it would be possible for me. The idea of packing up my life and moving to the other side of the world was intimidating, but Sarah and the supporting staff at Greenheart made everything easy. During my time in Thailand I experienced culture, language, and made friends from all corners of the world. After spending 7 months teaching in Thailand I feel more self confident and prepared to pursue a career focused on educating others on the importance of inclusive education. My time in Thailand only enticed my wanderlust! I decided to travel directly from Thailand to Spain for 3 months--going through GreenHeart Travel: Homestay in Spain. Although my journey in Spain has just begun, I already feel like a member of this family and I owe it all to the team at Greenheart. I would recommend Greenheart Travel to anyone, experienced or non-experienced travelers alike.

There may need to be improved communication between Greenheart and XploreAsia on what is to be expected during the orientation month. Some of the activities within the itinerary were not applicable to both Hua Hin and Chiang Mai.

Kelsey
Trang, Thailand
University of Utah

Life Changing Experience

My experience teaching abroad in Thailand has been absolutely incredible. It is a big and scary decision to move abroad, but Greenheart (and Sara) made everything so simple. I am grateful that Greenheart has given me the opportunity to blog for them and share my stories and experience along the way. One of my favorite memories is from my schools English Camp. At my school I teach both elementary and middle school students which meant that my elementary students were the campers and my middle schoolers were Teacher's Assistants. It was fun watching my younger students learn and interact with my older students. It was so rewarding to see some of my shy middle schoolers step into leadership roles. We had such a fun three days of dancing, singing, and playing English games.

Kayla
Mansfield, OH
Walsh University

Learn to be spontaneous and go with the flow!

My time in Thailand was incredible, and I wouldn't trade my experience for anything. It is nothing what I expected but everything I needed. I'm not going to lie...there are difficult parts and sometimes I wondered what the hell I was doing, but the growth and transformation within myself during and after my trip is immeasurable. The people I met in Thailand changed my life by showing me how despite the language barrier our common humanity ties us together-and how beautiful that is! I would highly recommend this trip to anyone interested. You will come out a better person and have memories that last a lifetime!

maybe work to try to place people somewhat closer together

Devon
Canada
University of Alberta

Amazing!

Greenheart Travel is a well organized, professional company. My experience on their TESOL + Teach in Thailand program was smooth and I was well informed every step of the way. Sara is a great coordinator; she is quick to respond to any questions or concerns brought up through email or social media. They also provide clear instructions for obtaining visas, flights, etc., and make sure to update you with any changes to the program or procedures. Overall, I would definitely recommend this organization to set you up on your first teaching experience, and can imagine that they are just as great with all of their volunteer and work abroad programs! I am happy to be choosing them again to participate in another teaching program!

Zoe
6 months old
Thailand
University of Brighton

Fantastic program

I came to Thailand through Greenheart Travel in October 2016. What was initially a vague 6 month plan has since turned into living in Thailand for more than a year, with no intentions of leaving any time soon.

From the beginning, Sara Thacker and Greenheart Travel as a whole were very accommodating in answering the million and five questions I had once I signed on for the program. She was there to offer assistance about everything from visas to whether or not it was worth packing jeans. A short while before I was scheduled to leave for Thailand, myself and other participants were asked to join an interactive webinar where Sara broke down everything we could expect for ou first couple weeks in Thailand, and beyond.

In Thailand Greenheart works in partnership with XploreAsia, who are the ones who deliver the orientation week, TESOL course and find your placement. Both XploreAsia and Greenheart are available for assistance throughout your time in Thailand, and even a year later I am still part o the large teacher groups provided on Facebook which are fantastic for advice in terms of teaching and everything else.

Coming to Thailand has turned out to be one of the best decisions of my life, and I highly reccomend Greenheart Travel’s program for the support they provide.

Amanda
New York
University at Albany- SUNY

Great experience for a first timer

I had only traveled out of the country twice before making the move to Thailand. I wanted an adventure but I also wanted a support group I could go to if I ever felt lost. Greenheart was a great program that allowed me to make the move overseas with peace of mind. Sara Thacker is awesome and answered all of my questions promptly. Although it's a bit pricey, it's a great way to start your journey overseas.

Alex

Teach English in Thailand

Oh lordy, lordy where do I begin? Greenheart is the greatest organization for this sort of endeavor. I applied through them to teach English for a year in Thailand and they guided me through every step of the process in the most straightforward, professional, and pragmatic manner. Sara, my program manager, responded to every e-mail or question I had along the way and even while I was over there teaching at my school. There were even times when I called the office and she would walk me through anything I was having trouble with over the phone. I am now back in the United States after completing my year teaching at my school in Thailand and miss it every day. I'm not ruling out being a two time Greenheart alumni and doing it all over again. That's how much I loved the experience and the professionalism and dedication of this organization. They encourage you to chase your dreams. LOVE Greenheart!

I really can't think of any improvements at this point. I'd also like to note that their organization that administers the TESOL course in Thailand and other Southeast Asian countries, XploreAsia, is equal in terms of professionalism and dedication to their craft.

Riley

Awesome Program!

Greenheart Travel is a great program for getting TESOL certified and teaching English in Thailand. Sarah, the program manager, is very responsive, helpful, and supportive. She enthusiastically answered all of my questions and concerns, despite the fact that she probably gets asked the same things all the time. She is also super friendly, approachable and knows what it's like to be in your shoes since she did a year teaching in South Korea with Greenheart. Greenheart's pre-departure support is extremely thorough. They provide everything from packing lists and webinars, to alumni interviews and informative blog posts from current teachers. Once you're in Thailand, you get passed off to another organization called Xplore Asia, which coordinates the orientation, TESOL course, and placements. Greenheart did a great job of explaining this pass-off and it seems like the two companies have solid communication with one another.
Overall, Greenheart is a solid program and it is very beneficial to spend a month in Thailand before diving into teaching. It is nice to have a network of people spread all over the country once you go off to your placement. I'm really glad I came here through Greenheart and my year in Thailand was probably the best year of my life!

The only downside is that I feel like Greenheart sometimes portrays teaching in Thailand as an extended vacation. It is obviously important for their marketing department to entice people with participants' Instagram photos of lounging on the beach, washing Elephants, etc., but I think this sometimes attracts certain types of people that aren't ready to face the reality that they might be living in an agriculturally oriented village that is hours away from the closest beach or Elephant sanctuary. This can be just as an enjoyable experience, but it takes a little more effort to adjust and immerse oneself culturally. So I think Greenheart would benefit from displaying less Insta-worthy but more realistic pieces of life in Thailand.

Lauren

Once in a Lifetime Experience!

Overall, I had an amazing experience teaching in Thailand through Greenheart Travel! Greenheart Travel did an excellent throughout the pre-departure process and during my time in Thailand to communicate all the necessary information and ensure that everything went smoothly! With the help of this program, I felt very prepared every step of the way and was able to have an incredible experience and meet so many wonderful friends along the way! I would definitely recommend this program to anyone hoping to teach English abroad!

Sarah

Just Go For It!

If you're thinking of teaching abroad, my advice is to just go for it. It definitely won't be easy, but it will certainly be worth it.. and I promise you that if you talk yourself out of this opportunity you will spend the rest of your life asking yourself "what if?" More importantly, once you do decide to go for it, I highly recommend using a program (aka Greenheart) because there will be times when you need help or are feeling helpless and they can be an amazing leg to stand on.

Before I submitted my application, my mom and I traveled to Chicago to visit the Greenheart office where we met Sara, the program manager. She answered every question that my mom and I had and made us both feel 100% comfortable with me taking the leap and moving to Thailand for a year. Sara even reassured my mom that if there was ever any issue or concern, my mom could contact her personally and she would take care of the problem herself.

After completing my TESOL course in Hua Hin with 30 strangers who became my family, I was dropped off alone in central Bangkok at my new apartment building. I had been fighting with a bout of homesickness for the past three days and in the midst of it, I had to leave for my placement and everything just started to become very real. Fumbling through the front door with my 100 pounds of luggage, I held back tears because for the first time since moving abroad, I was really truly alone. I gave myself a mental pep talk to hold it together until I got to my room as I walked to the front desk to sign a rental agreement for this apartment (which I needed asap considering I had to be at my new school at 7 a.m. the next morning). I managed to keep my cool until I tried to pay, and as I frantically dug through my wallet I discovered that my US credit card was gone. In your first month, you won't be working yet so you won't be getting paid. That means whatever money you bring with you is all the money that you have to get you by, and I had suddenly lost access to mine. Cue the opening of the floodgates. I became overwhelmed with emotion as I handed over almost all of my cash just to get the lady to let me stay in the apartment for ONE NIGHT. I had no idea what I was going to do and I called my mom in a fit of hysterics. My mom insisted that I contact Greenheart or my employment agency for help but I insisted back that it was too embarrassing and I would just figure something out. However, the next morning I woke up to several messages from Sara, my TESOL course company, and my employment agency. I was given multiple options on how to transfer money into a Thai account that I could access and how to get a new card to me ASAP, etc. Essentially, the problem had already been solved for me and I barely had to lift a finger. Little did I know, my overprotective (yet so well meaning) mother had contacted Sara herself in a panic, and Sara stuck true to her word, solving the problem as quick as humanly possible. If I had been completely on my own with no program to have my back, who knows how long I would have had to go without any money. And if Sara hadn't been so attentive and great, my mom probably would have hopped on the first flight out here just to give me $50 to get through the week.

All in all, now I can laugh at the hot mess that I was that day and now I am happy as can be living my life in Bangkok. I have several people to thank for that, and Sara from Greenheart is definitely one of them. I said it once and I'll say it again: if you're thinking of teaching abroad... just go for it!

Leslie
University of Texas- San Antonio

So happy I went with Greenheart

If you are reading this review, you have probably already decided to teach in Thailand. Good, because I could go on and on as to why it is one of the best things you could do for yourself, but we are already on the same page. Now, if you are wondering if Greenheart Travel is the organization through which you should teach in Thailand, the answer is yes! Each person I talked to at Greenheart seemed genuinely interested and excited for me the entire process. They stick with you the whole way through your time, and don't just drop you off in Thailand for you to fend for yourself. (I have heard horror stories about this.) Greenheart Travel takes care of so much for you and makes sure you are informed, so by the time you get to Thailand you have very little to worry about. The cultural orientation week and the TESOL course was fun and informative. Now that I am in my placement city, I am having the time of my life.

Kate
Pittsburgh, PA
Ithaca College

Amazing Experience with Support Through Every Step!

When I originally decided to take the TESOL course and move to Thailand to teach English, I was unaware of all the steps and difficulties it took to get there. However, Greenheart Travel made these complications easy and stress free during my time preparing to go abroad! They were there for every step, and answered any frantic questions I sent via email within a few hours. I think I even took their program for granted a little bit, because when I arrived in Thailand with no problems, I met people who had used other companies and had run into a number of issues before arriving. Even after being placed in a school, Greenheart would keep in contact to help assist with any problems. I honestly felt that they actually cared about each participant having a meaningful and memorable experience (I met many other Greenheart teachers once I was in Thailand who echoed the same feeling). However, possibly the most beneficial aspect of going through Greenheart Travel was the extensive and EXTREMELY helpful network of alumni. Even though I hadn't met most of them, if I was traveling anywhere in the country, needed help with a lesson plan, had a questions about the culture, or even help when returning back to the U.S, I could always reach out to the alumni for advice and suggestions. It was like having a friend in every area of the country, and that was honestly invaluable. I highly recommend this program!

Jazz

Always Two Steps Ahead Of You

Greenheart Travel was excellent in both preparing me to teach in Thailand and in helping me get there! They are there for you every step of the way. At times I would start to have questions, and before I could even reach out to them there would be an email with the answer in my inbox! They really have the whole Thai/teach abroad system down, and were super responsive if I ever needed help with anything!

Fabi
Chicago

Best Organization To Get You Started In Thailand

I'm currently teaching with a British agency in Thailand. I started with Greenheart in the US. They have a Thai partner that they basically passed me off to when I arrived here. That partner did my TESOL training and got me the job with my current agency. So I've had 3 different groups overseeing my trip at the various stages. I think I made the best decision by going with Greenheart to get me started. They have have professional staff and a great support group on social media to help answer any questions. They are also culturally aware and chose a Thai partner that shares that awareness. With my current agency I met a lot of other teachers that are here for the wrong reasons and completely unprepared. Greenheart's Thai partner provided us with Thai language, culture, history lessons, and more, all with great staff. Additionally, the group I was with was filled with pretty great people.

I do think that there was some misinformation upfront about some details (like what you should bring, for example), but it was nothing serious and can be attributed to 1) the Thai way of life which involves misinformation or last minute information and 2) English teachers are in high demand so all of these entities are struggling to keep up with the workload so details can get compromised. Fortunately, there is a great support system online where you can ask virtually anything and someone will offer insight. I definitely recommend Greenheart over the others.

See above

Response from Greenheart Travel

Thanks Fabiana! I'd love to hear your ideas on how to improve the slight miscommunication on what to bring that you mentioned. I am always updating our packing list, etc. so if you have things you thought should have been included, or other tips for me, please feel free to shoot me an email anytime. Getting updates like that from alumni is always super helpful to make sure everything is always up to date :) -- Sara

Lauren
Larchmont, NY
Tulane University

Go Greenheart!

Moving to the other side of the globe can be both daunting and extremely stressful. Greenheart took all that stress away and made the entire process easy so that instead of worrying about the nitty gritty details of getting my visa and preparing all the forms and documents needed for my life in Thailand, I was able to focus more on mentally preparing myself for the journey. Sara was great, she always answered my emails the day of and had answers for both the big and small questions. Also, the Facebook community was incredibly useful and answered all the questions I had from what immunizations to get to what kind of bag to pack. Greenheart made the transition truly smooth and easy. Although it is a little pricey, it is absolutely worth it to go with a reputable company that makes the process stress free! I would 100% go Greenheart again and recommend it HIGHLY to anyone thinking of making the jump abroad! just do it!!!

Jacqui
Asheville, North Carolina

Easy and Smooth Transition Abroad!

If you're looking to teach abroad in Thailand and want an easy and smooth transition abroad, choose this program! Sara is AMAZING and makes the process very simple. She answers any emails, phone calls or questions you have within what seems like 30 seconds of reaching out to her! Obtaining your visa is made very easy and the program is definitely worth all of the other pre-departure assistance you receive. Once you've transitioned abroad you are paired up with another agency, but Greenheart continues to reach out to you and make sure you're adjusting smoothly. If for no other reason, go with Greenheart for Sara! She's wonderful!

Tim
Surin, Thailand
University of Wisconsin- Madison

An Incredible Experience via GHT

I participated in the Greenheart Travel (GHT) - Teach in Thailand program in the spring of 2015. The TESOL certification course, via XploreAsia, takes place in one of two locations- Hua Hin, a town on the beach closer to Bangkok, or Chiang Mai, the ancient cultural capital of the north, a city surrounded by mountains & national parks. I chose Chiang Mai.

GHT, is the recruiter, basically the company that finds, selects, & prepares candidates for the move to Thailand, to participate in the TESOL course and then go on to get placed to teach in a Thai school. So they screen applicants & assist with the application process which is extremely straight forward, no loopholes or fine print, providing all necessary program information, details, and support prior to departure, happily answering any and every question you may have, making you feel as comfortable and prepared as you possibly can be for an experience such as this. They were incredible.

Sara, the Teach Abroad Programs Senior Manager for GHT, is the one you work with during the application & pre-departure process, and is AMAZING. GHT is a reputable organization with a strong mission statement that they really get behind well, and that's more than I can say for other companies I looked into for a similar experience; GHT was the way to go.

After arriving in Thailand, the TESOL course is actually administered via a partner organization called XploreAsia, FYI, but they are amazing too. So GHT is the recruiter for XA's course, and then XA places you in a school. XA is wonderful, they know how Thailand works, they prepare you for teaching and Thai culture as much as possible, show you a great time in the city you're in during the course, and get you set up with a legitimate school & teaching agency. They are there as support if you need it once you're placed, as well as GHT! Once you arrive, GHT is more in the background, as their job is primarily to get you here and set up successfully, but you still get updates (e-mails & such) every now & then checking to make sure things are well, and updating you on the latest with their organization.

My time-frame for changing my life forever in Thailand:

November 2014 - Began Application Process with GHT.
December 2014 - Got accepted with GHT for TESOL/Teach English in Thailand program.
March 2015 - Moved to Thailand. Began TESOL course in Chiang Mai.
Currently - I am living in Isan (northeastern Thailand), teaching English at a local elementary & secondary school in a small elephant village in the middle of a bunch of sugar cane & rice fields. Every day is an adventure.

Make the leap, change your life, & change the lives of others. Do your best to come over with minimal expectations for what this experience holds, as they will get shattered; but come with an open mind, and I promise you will not be disappointed.

One of my favorite quotes: "There's no certainty, only opportunity."

The XA TESOL course itself was a bit rushed. Granted, our group was the largest they had had thus far in Chiang Mai, so everything took longer, and the Songkran holiday (the Thai new year) was right in the middle of our course, so that disrupted the flow of everything a bit (sooo worth it, Songkran ROCKS), but still, I did feel like maybe in the future they should allot time better for the TESOL course itself, or manage such a large group differently to alleviate the stress of squishing all of that learning into such a short time-frame.

Chelsea
Pomona, California
California State University- San Bernardino

Greenheart has been AMAZING!

Traveling and living in a foreign country has been a dream of mine for as long as I can remember. After graduating college I did extensive research on how I could live and work abroad. I originally signed up for the CELTA course in Chiang Mai through International House, but then a friend of a friend recommended me to Greenheart Travel. Right away, I could sense the difference in the two companies. While there were no faults in the CELTA course, Greenheart Travel contacted me the same day I said I was interested in the program. Sara, who is in charge of the Teach in Thailand program, was extremely knowledgable, as well as friendly and very approachable. I felt like I could ask her any questions I had and she would always respond so quickly, it blew my mind. She must be glued to her email everyday with all the questions people ask. You'll never find her anything other than happy to help though, and this was one thing I found to be really important about Greenheart Travel as a whole. I definitely was very well prepared in coming to Thailand, they made the visa process extremely easy for me and I was even able to get a Multiple Entry Non B without a problem, so no visa runs for me! I would highly recommend Multiple Entry if you can get it, the extra money is worth it because you'll end up spending that money on a visa run in the future anyways. Overall, I think I absolutely made the right decision in choosing Greenheart Travel. I couldn't have asked for a better experience in working with them, as well as Sara. I love the company and I think what they do is amazing, especially because they understand these experiences first-hand. So if you're unsure of what program to choose in guiding your overseas teaching adventure, go with Greenheart!

If there's anything I could recommend improving it would be that I wish I had more information about XploreAsia before coming to Thailand. I actually had no idea there was a partner company that would be taking over, even though it was probably mentioned at some point, (and they are equally as amazing). Also, if you sign up for the program and your start date is in the middle of a school semester, you may end up having to do a lot of the TESOL course online. I was a little bummed about that because I don't enjoy learning online, but the schools were in desperate need of teachers so XploreAsia had to send us out to our placements early. This shouldn't be an issue for you if you go on a more popular start date, where the semester will just be beginning. With that said, these improvements are very minor and I still would recommend Greenheart Travel in a heartbeat!

Response from Greenheart Travel

Thanks for the kind words, Chelsea!

We have eliminated the MixLearn online component of the course, so now all students will learn 100% in-person, in Thailand.

We only offered this option in the past in case a position/offer came in earlier than the course end date, that a teacher really wanted in their ideal location and couldn't pass up. This gave them at least the option to take the offer, and leave the course a few days early. We of course allowed anyone who wanted to finish the in-person 4 week course to stay if they wanted to turn down their offer. We do, however, fully understand the benefit of learning in person - and have eliminated this option from the course - so that everyone will complete a full course in person, every time.

We're glad you're enjoying your time in Thailand!

- Sara

Paula
Washington, DC
College of William and Mary

Go with Greenheart!!!

When I first thought about teaching English in Thailand, I spent months researching programs and reading reviews. I was so scared I'd pick the wrong one, as there are many out there that are only out to make money and provide little support after they get your payment. Greenheart Travel's Teach in Thailand program is nothing like that, and is worth every penny you pay! I did so much research, and I promise they are the best out there.

Sara at Greenheart (she's amazing!) is the Thailand program manager, and a young twenty-something who has also taught English abroad. She's so friendly, positive, and passionate about helping participants have an incredibly meaningful experience. It's really easy for you to relate to her, and vice-versa because she's been in your shoes. She probably answered a hundred random questions I had before I even applied, and was always prompt and honest in her replies. And even now that I'm back in the States, she has kept in touch and I still feel a part of the Greenheart community.

Some things that stood out about Greenheart: They are a non-profit, they have a reputable Board of Directors, their program managers are all young adults who have been in your shoes, they have an actual office in Chicago, they are organized, honest and want the best for their participants.

It's important to understand that Greenheart Travel is the recruiter, and they work closely with XploreAsia, who is their in-country partner. They explain this on their website. XploreAsia is equally great, and once you get to Thailand, XploreAsia will run your unforgettable orientation week (baby elephants, Muay Thai classes, blessings by monks, Thai lessons, a beach party BBQ, meeting some of the most wonderful people ever!), find you a guaranteed placement (be open-minded, you probably won't end up on an island), and connect you with your agent. Your agent will be the person you'll go to if you have any difficulties at your school. If for some reason your agent can't resolve an issue, you would go to XploreAsia for help, and if you have issues with XploreAsia, Greenheart serves as a third party to help resolve those.

Greenheart also has a "Greenheart Teach in Thailand" Facebook page where past, current and potential teachers can ask questions, share experiences and feedback, and it's completely open and un-biased. Greenheart also links participant's personal blogs to their website. Reading these offers an extremely real glimpse into what moving and teaching in Thailand is like. I'd suggest taking a look at them and the Facebook page if you're seriously interested.

If you decide to teach in Thailand, I'd suggest leaving all expectations at home. When you arrive, you'll discover that people are friendly, but there's a big "mai pen rai" attitude, meaning go with the flow, don't let things bother/get to you. Thai people rarely get angry or show over-emotion.

Thailand isn't a cushy country, and no matter how great and organized your program is, you will encounter difficulties and frustrating situations. Sometimes they may be at your school (most of the time, it's because you're always told after the fact about what is going on - one day I arrived at my school and was told I was going on a field trip, which I only discovered the location of once we arrived), travel frustrations (mini-buses of doom without seat belts and hotels that don't exist), cultural frustrations, etc. And it's always hot. You will sweat a lot. If you don't do well with things not going your way all the time, then this might not be the country for you.

I'd also suggest being financially stable before you come to Thailand. Don't expect to pay off students loans or credit card bills with the money you make...you can expect to probably "break even" (cover your program fee and flights, cost of living, a little in-country travel), if you teach for one semester. There's a lot of costs associated with getting settled in Thailand (transportation to your placement, deposits on lodging, buying things for your apartment, visa runs after 3 months can be around $120, travel on the weekends, etc.) and it just makes for a much more enjoyable experience if you don't have debt looming over your head!

I have heard the visa process has become a bit more difficult because the Thai government is cracking down on Non-B visas, and recruiters are suggesting tourists visas (with a visa run every month until your school can get you a Non-B or a work permit), or education visas (which are costly). It's not really an improvement that can be made by the recruiter, but for potential participants, it's a good thing to research and be aware of.

Stephanie
Indianapolis, Indiana
Ball State University

My Greenheart Sings So Loud

I reviewed Greenheart Travel several months ago towards the beginning of my time in Thailand. Now, after completing a year of service in Thailand, I feel more qualified to review this organization -- this incredible organization.

I had been living around Bangkok for the first 6 months of my stay. At the time, I didn't realize how great I really had it having many friends that I had made through Greenheart Travel so near -- just a bus ride away in most cases. After about 6 months, though, contracts were completed and the network of friends I had developed in Thailand became the network of friends I now had a 12 hour time difference with -- they went back to their home country. I was not ready to move on from Thailand and I wanted a more rural experience after living around Bangkok. I relocated to Northern Thailand to a very small, country-side town. I was alone and felt isolated being the only foreigner and English speaker in this village. I hadn't mentioned feeling this way on any platform, but Sara at Greenheart Travel had kept up with me and learned where I had relocated. She sent me a message letting me know of other Greenheart English teachers nearby that I can connect with! This made such a positive difference during my stay in rural Thailand. While it's incredibly important to integrate and interact with locals and to fully insert yourself into your new community -- I also know the benefits of having someone to talk to that speaks your language during this time, that understands what you're experiencing because they're experiencing it, as well. Greenheart Travels gets this.

This is just one example of Greenheart Travel's level of support, thoughtfulness, and innate empathy they have towards their teachers. With Greenheart Travel you're going to be cared for. If you're seeking to teach English or volunteer abroad and you're weighing out your options -- just go with Greenheart Travel.

Charlotte
Richmond, VA
Virginia Tech

Greenheart is #1!

I honestly could not have picked a better program provider than Greenheart. Sara Dorsey and the rest of the Greenheart team seriously amazed me. They are constantly bombarded with hundreds of questions from both future and current participants, yet they answer every single question in a timely manner. Tip: When in doubt, ask! Everyone else is probably wondering the same thing! Greenheart is extremely organized, professional, and thorough. They are experts at what they do, so they cover everything you will need before departing on your adventure. For example, they have packets of information they give to everyone prior to departure that answers a TON of your questions (Will someone pick me up from the airport? What kind of visa do I need? Etc.). Greenheart really seemed to be the most experienced and most reputable company when I was researching my options, and I spent hours doing so. But aside from professionalism, I honestly chose greenheart because of the community it builds. Even before departure, I had 30 new friends that I could chat with/ask questions before I even got to Thailand. Also, through their Facebook page (for past, present, and future participants) I was able to contact previous participants and ask them questions (What shoes should I bring? Would I be able to buy ____ in Thailand or should I bring some from home? Etc.). No other program has the community that Greenheart has. I can honestly say that those 30 strangers became my best friends over the orientation month, and being able to ask past participants questions reduced my stress TREMENDOUSLY!

So overall, PICK GREENHEART! I would truly recommend them to anyone. I did a lot of thorough research before choosing a program and Greenheart was #1 on my list over and over again. They offer the full package and more.

If you are considering doing this program, please JUST DO IT! You won't regret it, I promise!

I really don't have any complaints about the program. They truly exceeded my expectations. But if I had to pick out something, it would probably be the visa process. Although GH gives you a ton of information about what you'll need to get a visa and what types there are, they could have given a little more information on the different consulates. Some consulates gave out Non-Immigrant B Visas (the one you want!) without any issues, while others hesitated to even give you a Tourist visa. I did some research myself and found out which consulates were less strict and therefore were more likely to give me the Non B (which is why I mailed my information to a different consulate than the Washington DC consulate which was closest to me). I am SO glad I did so, because it saved me a lot of hassle. I definitely recommend doing some research and trying to get the Non B before you depart. Yes, it's not a huge deal if you aren't able to because you can do a visa run after you arrive, but it'll save you a lot of time, money, and stress!! Perhaps Greenheart could give participants the names of the consulates/embassies that are more willing to give out Non-Bs based off the past! Other than that, Greenheart is amazing at what they do!

Response from Greenheart Travel

Thanks Charlotte! We have revamped our visa guide, and now have suggested consulates to apply with to make this process even easier, like you suggested. We haven't had any issues with our applicants getting the Non B visa, so we hope this helps in the future even more. Thanks for your feedback and help in making the program even better for future participants!

Kayla
North Carolina
University of North Carolina- Wilmington

Loved it!

Teaching in Thailand through greenheart was my first time going abroad and overall it was a great experience. The airport pick up and prearranged hotel was great after the more than 30 hours of travel to get to Thailand. Everything through greenheart was great, on the xplore Asia side I would have appreciated it if there was more information given to us on how to get around in suburban placements as the focus was on Bangkok proper and rural areas.

Another thing I love about the program is that the people at xplore Asia were encouraging and said they would help us find other placements if ours didn't work out or if we decide to come back to Thailand to teach again. Since I ended up leaving at the end of the semester I am happy that this option is still there for me in the future.

More of an emphasis on culture and language preparation before departure. We were given all the resources but without a bolded "you need to do this or it will be way harder" I let the info fall by the wayside until a few days before departure since I was in my last semester of college. Maybe finding a list of videos and strongly recommending watching them because that seems like it would be more helpful than written information that can be skimmed.

Ben
Chumphuang, Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand
University of Saint Thomas

An Amazing Adventure

Greenheart Travel was so helpful in getting me set up with XploreAsia in order to get TESOL certified in Thailand! Sara Dorsey and other staff were extremely helpful in answering boatloads of questions that myself and others had prior to our journey to this amazing country. I would recommend asking a lot of questions, no matter how dumb they may seem. Chances are there are a bunch of other people wondering the exact same thing you are --- so don't be shy. I am so thankful that I chose Greenheart in getting set up here in Thailand. The amount of stress that I have been saved cannot be measured! I most definitely recommend using Greenheart Travel to help you go abroad, no matter where you want to end up!

You can't fix it if it isn't broken.

Stephanie
Yonkers, New York
University of Connecticut

Teach in Thailand

Greenheart travel is incredibly organized and made the process of getting to Thailand very easy. Sara was constantly in touch from the moment I showed interest in the program. She responded to inquiries almost instantly and was happy to provide as much information as I needed. The process was just as organized once getting to Thailand. I felt so prepared arriving in Thailand through Greenheart travel, I would recommend this program in a heartbeat!

Brittany
Satuk, Buriram, Thailand
University of Lethbridge

Amazing program

So far this experience has been amazing! It was so easy to use Greenheart, and a relief to have everything planned out and organized while you were getting ready to leave for the trip! It made it very easy to move across the world and start a new life.

Everything was very organized and there really is not anything that I would improve about the program.

Nichol
Los Angeles, California

Greenheart is Incredible!!

After researching quite a few agencies, Greenheart stood out as the most professional company out there. I applied very early on and Sara kept in great contact throughout the entire process; everything from providing information about the country, giving great directions with the visa process, and being an overall general support. Her encouragement through social media such as Facebook is also a wonderful touch that makes the company feel they're right there with you through the whole experience. Would definitely recommend Greenheart to anyone considering Teaching in Thailand.

Sara and Greenheart were more than amazing; however, when fully immersed in Thailand, it would benefit all teachers to learn "mai pen rai" as soon as possible!

Greenheart Travel is excited to provide authentic cultural immersion experiences for teenagers and adults in countries all over the world. Our programs include volunteer opportunities, short and long term teaching contracts and work and internship positions abroad. We also offer TEFL certification, high school study