Our volunteer abroad programs have a few factors that make them unique:
1. Volunteers stay in a CCS Homebase where they enjoy 24-hour security, delicious and safely prepared meals, and the companionship of other CCS volunteers.
2. Our on-the-ground staff (usually around 5 vs. maybe 1 for other organizations) is always there to immerse you in the community, ensure that your volunteering is productive, and of course keeps you safe.
3. The numbers tell the story: 20 years. 35,000 volunteers. And a 99.7% satisfaction rate!
You will work with local organizations as they effect change by raising the quality of life for Costa Rica's most vulnerable people. You'll have the opportunity to contribute to one of seven CCS projects:
1. Education and Literacy Project
2. Child Development Project
3. Girls and Women's Empowerment Project
4. Aging with Dignity Project
5. Support for People with Disabilities Project
6. HIV/Aids Project
7. Global Healthcare Project
- Costa Rica
* Personalized Volunteer Placement: with our Partner Programs based on your skills and interests, including all the coordination, in-person visits and communication necessary with each local organization.
*Planned Cultural Activities with excursions, special events, and discussions with a variety of local cultural, professional, governmental and community agencies and people.
* Cross-Cultural Solutions' Home-Base, providing you with a comfortable, safe place to live, the basic amenities, all of your meals, and transportation to and from all Cross-Cultural Solutions' placements and programs.
* An experienced Program Manager, who will serve as your coordinator, guide, and liaison with our in-country staff.
* In-country basic language assistance.
* Professional, locally-based staff to provide orientation, supervision and guidance throughout your stay.
* In-depth pre-departure packs, orientation information, and all in-country informational materials.
* Country-based airport transportation.
* Local phone calls and In-coming international phone service.
* A toll-free 24-hour emergency hotline in the U.S.
JAge: 31-50FemaleChesapeake Beach, MD, USADuke UniversityCross-Cultural Solutions - Adult Volunteer in Costa Rica04/20/2015How could this program be improved?
I really did not have any complaints. The housing is not a four star hotel, so don't go into the experience expecting that. But, the home base is extremely clean, the food was freshly prepared every day, and the people running the program had hearts of gold.
VickiAge: 51 or olderFemaleFirth, IdahoSouth Dakota State University
MelissaAge: 19-24FemaleCanadaI learned the true meaning of "Pura Vida"11/10/2014How could this program be improved?
I would not change anything about this program accept for the possibility of lowering the cost as it is a bit high compared to some of the other volunteer organizations I had researched. Although it was worth every penny, I struggled to save and fund raise for my program fee.
AlyssaAge: 19-24FemaleLincoln, NEUniversity of Nebraska- Lincoln
About the provider
The Cross-Cultural Solutions Volunteer Abroad experience allows students and travelers to gain valuable experience overseas while working side by side with local individuals and communities to make an impact.
Since 1995, over 35,000 people have volunteered with Cross-Cultural Solutions, providing meaningful and sustainable volunteer services to international communities, and contributing responsibly to local economies.
Volunteers gain valuable experience working in areas such as education, healthcare, and social services. Visit the Cross-Cultural Solutions website to learn more about how we're changing everything.