Cross-Cultural Solutions - Volunteer Programs in Ghana

By Cross-Cultural Solutions   Reviews (15)   87% Rating

Cross-Cultural Solutions (CCS) volunteer abroad programs have a few factors that make them unique:
1. Volunteers stay in a CCS Home-base where they enjoy 24-hour security, delicious and safely prepared meals, and the companionship of other CCS volunteers.
2. Our on-the-ground staff (usually around 5 vs. maybe 1 for other organizations) is always there to immerse you in the community, ensure that your volunteering is productive, and of course keeps you safe.
3. The numbers tell the story: 20 years. 35,000 volunteers. And a 99.7% satisfaction rate!
Volunteering in the Volta Region of Ghana, you'll have an opportunity to effect real social change in a community dealing with all of the growing pains experienced by a region in flux. You will have the opportunity to contribute to one of six CCS projects:
1. Education & Literacy

$2,000 - $5,000 (USD)
See site for details.
See Additional Information
Cost Description:

Professional staff of local nationals, lodging, language lessons, personalized volunteer assignment, meals, local phone calls and international incoming phone service, comprehensive travel medical insurance, a toll-free emergency hotline to the U.S., ground transportation, free online language lessons prior to departure, in-country cultural activities.

Languages:
Housing:
Volunteer House
Travel:
Participants travel to the program independently (not in a group with other participants).
Some travel is required during the program.
Application:

Berkeley
    Pitzer College
    Amazing experience
    11/11/2014

I loved my time with CCS Ghana! The staff was incredible, the community was safe and friendly and I met life long volunteer friends in the home base. I would suggest staying as long as possible to have the most time to adjust and really learn about the culture/have the most impact and build the most relationships.

How could this program be improved?

Cultural awareness activities for the volunteers to not only learn about the Ghanaian culture but to reflect upon their own and recognize the differences.

• Kristen
    New York
    University at Albany, The State University of New York
    I wish I could have stayed longer.
    11/11/2014

It was hot. It was my first time in Africa and I was nervous when I stepped off of the plane. The weather was not helping. I very quickly realized that my worries were for nothing and the heat would be a fun part of the experience because the staff, the students I worked with, the people of Hohoe that I met and my fellow volunteers provided me with such an immediate sense of family that I can't even remember any negative feelings creeping in during my week there.
    This trip really showed me how people with common goals and positive attitudes can get great things done together. We all came home from placement exhausted every day but after our delicious meals we found new energy to play outside with the kids in the neighborhood. Teaching the students and being in Ghana gave me so much that it almost seems unfair. I thought I went to help others. Maybe I needed their help more.

How could this program be improved?

This is hard to pick something to improve. The ride from the airport to the house was an hour longer because a bridge was out. Hopefully it's been fixed.

Useful: 0 Inspiring: 1
  • Kaleigh
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
    Wilfrid Laurier University
    Gone to Ghana: CCS Trip
    11/10/2014

I thought that CCS provides excellent services to individuals searching for a short time in a voluntourism setting. There was a solid mix of time in placement and 'cultural activities' for fun. Mornings were spent at placement, and afternoons were spent exploring and participating in cultural activities to teach us more about the country and culture we were living in.

How could this program be improved?

The program is run on a 2 week rotation. Any volunteer there for more than 2 weeks ends up repeating the same activities, and not furthering their cultural experience. Allowing for more time in the local community (as opposed to travelling with others) would be beneficial. I found that as a volunteer staying for an extended period of time, I did not enjoy the experience as much in my last few weeks because the programming was so repetitive.

Photos:
    Kansas City, MO
    Northwestern University
    Ghana and the Arts
    11/10/2014

I volunteered with Cross-Cultural Solution in 1999 and visited Ghana. As an artist lover/collector (NOT producer!), I was very intrigued by all the hand-made crafts. There was a need for funding a new Art Center in Accra (the capital city) and I joined with two other volunteers who had preceded me to create a book, the profits of which would support the building of this new Center. All three of us traveled the country, interviewing photographing artists as they created their work. I obviously gathered samples for my own collection that are displayed with love in my home.

Upon return to the US, two of us were able to meet in my home. We collated all our information and pictures and produced a document that summarized the amazing creativity and resilience of the Ghanian people.

It was always my plan to go back and visit. Unfortunately, "life" got in the way. A family medical catastrophe and financial challenges interfered. My friend and host, Besa, also passed away several years ago. However, I still have our "book" and all the wonderful memories of my time in Ghana...

• Alexis
    United States, Washington DC
    Howard University
    Good experience, room for improvement
    11/10/2014

Had a great experience volunteering in Hohoe with CCS. The placement was an incredible opportunity, as was the Ewe education and cultural events. The Hohoe program director was unprofessional. Some of the students who volunteered for a week were very disrespectful and impacted the trip negatively for others. Really enjoyed the weekend getaways.

How could this program be improved?

Better leadership. More scrutiny in selecting volunteers. (A group of VERY disrespectful teenagers came for a week, and significantly impacted the groups experience in a negative way)

• Robin
    Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
    University of Washington, Seattle
    Ideal Volunteer Experience for Making A Difference, Not a Donation
    11/10/2014

I spent 2 weeks teaching reading to 7th graders at a parochial school in late November 2011, but CCS usually requires a 3 week volunteer minimum and we overlapped with some recent college grads on longer internships. The local CCS staff were organized (especially by African standards), diligent, warm and friendly. We stayed in a newly built, comfortable, dormitory-style compound (4-6 people to a room with a shared bath) surrounded by a waist-high wall and took a mini-bus or taxi to our volunteer jobs each day where we worked for 3-4 hours. This doesn't sound like very long, but you work hard! In my case, the teacher completely disappeared for the entire 2 weeks after the first hour the first day leaving me completely on my own, though this may have been because I came well prepared. Afternoons were reserved for language lessons, cultural lectures, field trips to outdoor attractions and some free time to relax or walk into town to shop and explore.

The homebase was spacious, with electricity to run fans and lights plus running (cold) water for toilets, showers and washing. We arranged for brief, nightly internet access for work purposes, but in general CCS discourages volunteers from spending lots of time on computers. There were internet cafes in town (a 30 minute way to the center), but there were lengthy waits for erratic and unreliable connections. As more mature volunteers unwilling to risk getting sick we ate all our meals at the homebase which were prepared by professional cooks using imported meats (mostly chicken) and local fruits and vegetables. CCS provided unlimited bottled water, but you're on your own if you want soda and they have a no-alcohol policy during the week and at the homebase. Only one person in our group suffered a GI illness. We had guards for the compound, but their main job seemed to be keeping neighborhood goats, chickens and kids out of the yard. None of us ever felt unsafe while in Ghana where tourists are warmly welcomed though women need to stick with modest attire.

CCS met us in Accra, the capital, when we arrived and arrangd transportation to and from Hohoe, a 4-6 hour drive (depending on traffic) to the Volta Region. We found out our volunteer assignments about 2 weeks in advance, but you should come prepared to be flexible as the local situation is fluid and can change quickly. For example, one microfinance organization shut down without advance notice for a week to allow their staff to travel to a funeral. My school didn't inform CCS of upcoming exams that would prevent regular class instruction until the Thursday before exam week. If you come prepared to integrate into the local organizations on their terms rather than arrive with an agenda then you'll be fine. In my case, I felt less anxious by having more structure so I partnered with a local school to bring books, curriculum plans, and tests to use then I donated all of it to CCS at the end for future volunteers. If you're working with younger students then there were some craft supplies and books at the CCS homebase, but if you have something special planned to share or something from your culture then bring it as local supplies are hit and miss. We were free to travel personally over the weekend, but note that bus connections are prohibitively time consuming for a weekend so you must rent a car and driver to get anywhere. It's 7 hours minimum to the coast to tour the Slave Forts and about 3 hours to Lake Volta. This wasn't a problem for us as everyone wanted to go somewhere, but you're responsible for organizing it which is best done in advance. CCS can help you find a local driver, but they're not travel agents.

If you're looking for a volunteer assignment that requires you to live on the local economy, fend for yourself in most instances and really suffer, then CCS is not for you. CCS approaches the volunteer assignments in a fairly structured (though flexible) way that alternates time volunteering with cultural lectures, language lessons and a modest amount of free time. You will get a flavor for life in a low resource country (cold water showers, hand-washing your laundry) without having to actually suffer through the worst of it. If you accept the premise that personally interacting with organizations on their terms and helping them advance their mission, not yours (i.e., you are not allowed to donate anything but your time) is the approach you want to take then CCS is perfect. If you have a high need to make donations directly and live on the local economy with lots of free time then I would look elsewhere.

How could this program be improved?

We had enormous difficulty finding any local language (Ewe) resources outside of Ghana. Most people speak English, but I would have appreciated more help from CCS to learn the language further in advance. They did send us a file, but not everyone could access it.

Photos:
    CCS Homebase
    Fun, but rustic local nightlife!
  • adupre
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Louisiana State University- Baton Rouge
    My time in Hohoe
    11/10/2014

It was unfortunate that I could only spend a week in Hohoe because I immediately feel in love with the country! From the moment I arrived in Ghana I was welcomed by Makafui, the in country director and upon arriving at the home base I felt like I was part of the CCS family. The entire in country staff was so welcoming and helping. The really make it a point to give you the best experience. I was happy to find that my placement was at a local school and I chose to work with a JHS 1 class. My time working with the students in that class was so rewarding and positive that I look forward to returning and seeing the progress each student has made. I have nothing but positive things to say about my experience with CCS and my time in Ghana. Ghana truly is a beautiful place and the people are some of the most friendly people I have interacted with while volunteering!

Useful: 1 Inspiring: 0
  • Lauren
    Chicago, Illinois
    Miami University
    Ghana is an incredible country
    11/04/2014

Overall, this is a very well organized program, with a great support structure. The program management staff was just okay, but the in-country staff was absolutely amazing. I will remember them forever. It's been a while, but I wonder if Makafui is still there running the show!

When I did the program, I was placed in Akatsi, a very small "town". I'm not sure if they're placing there anymore. Our volunteer house was in the middle of a small village, where we were greeted by the village chief every time we entered! The housing was very safe, but did feel a bit removed from the community in terms of immersion.

The food the staff cooked was incredible - more than you could ever eat, but we'd force ourselves just to see the look of joy on their faces!

Don't forget to take your malaria pills! I got it while I was there, despite being on the pills, but I was well taken care of.

How could this program be improved?

I had no idea what type of volunteering I'd be doing until a night or two before I left. I was placed as an "English Teacher" in a local private school. I adored my co-teacher (we became quite close) and the kids (omg, the kids, I fell in love).

But, the problem is that I had no guidance or structure, and no real direction for what I should be doing or how I should be helping. I really just ended up playing with the kids most of the time and singing songs. I feel like I didn't make much of an impact beyond the cultural exchange experience.

• Lauren

Age: 18 or younger
    New York
    My Experience
    09/18/2014

I thought this was a great experience. I worked in schools and loved it. Teaching kids how to add and subtract is incredibly rewording and so much fun. We also went to water falls, the market, monkey sanctuaries, which are just fun memories I'll never forget.

How could this program be improved?

I don't know. Of course we didn't have the food or showers or electronics we have here, but it meant that we could get a better idea of the culture surrounding us and it also made sure that the volunteers didn't get special treatment then the people living in the area, which to me I thought was really important.

• Leigh03
    New York, NY
    Three Weeks in Hohoe, Ghana
    01/04/2013

I would never change the time I spent in Hohoe, Ghana. This town consisted of the friendliest and most welcoming people I've ever met. The town also has some of the most gorgeous scenery.

Some great things about this company:

- staff: The staff was exceptional. Always willing to help me if I had a problem or needed to talk. The chef's food was delicious, the place was always clean, our sheets were changed every couple of days, and all of them were so friendly and fun to be around. I miss the staff so much!!

- schedules: Once we got there, we had a schedule for each week. These schedules consisted of 4 hours of volunteer work a day, breakfast, lunch, and dinner, free time, and either a workshop or a trip somewhere. Hohoe is conveniently located near Ghana's largest mountain and highest waterfall - both breathtaking to see. The best thing about the schedules though, was that you had the option of doing something else if you wanted. For instance, instead of coming back for lunch, sometimes I would stay at my volunteer placement for a couple more hours, and I would come back to have my lunch waiting for me in the kitchen. It was nice that the schedule wasn't so strict because I felt like I was getting what I wanted out of my time in Ghana.

-free time: Although there wasn't much free time because of the schedules, the time we did have was so much fun. There is plenty to do in Hohoe. The town has a lot of shops, internet cafes, and eateries to go to. We also travelled on the weekends to different parts of Ghana, such as Accra and Cape Coast.

Things to be prepared for:

-The initial landing in Accra, Ghana (the capital) till the point I got to the CCS Home Base in Hohoe was somewhat scary. I advise you double and triple check with the program leader as to how the airport pickup process will commence.

-Be aware that you are on 'Africa Time' as our director called it. Sometimes you will be waiting for an hour/two hours for certain events or people.

- If you are volunteering at elementary schools, be prepared to see how they discipline their students. It was hard for me to watch.

- Be aware that the classes will not be organized for you. Don't be afraid to take control of the class and plan an agenda.

Bottom line, the best thing about volunteering with CCS in Ghana was the people I met. The other volunteers are now some of my closest friends, the staff made me feel like I was in my second home, and the children/people of Hohoe were so friendly and happy. If I could go back and do it again, I would in a heartbeat.

How could this program be improved?

If I could change one thing, it would be the cost of the program. I wanted to stay for more than three weeks so I could travel around Africa, but three weeks was already too expensive.

• L.
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Don't go
    12/05/2012

so many reasons. I got dropped off at a local nonprofit every day with no real coordinator, without fellow volunteers. There was a poor, clearly badly paid guard at our house that slept on a dirty mat, poorly organized. all of us ended up buying our own food on the streets. They seem to just drop each person off at one of a variety of local nonprofits with no real plans and nothings organized. I feel I REALLY wasted my money and won't go back

• Candy
    Atlanta, GA
    It changed my life!
    07/13/2012

I really enjoyed the volunteer program to Ghana and kudos to corporate CCS and their Ghana on-site staff, too.

I worked as a caregiver in an orphanage and the children were welcoming, grateful and precious. I really looked forward to seeing them everyday and I continue to think about them...almost 3 years later.

I think I got more out of the program than the children. I was in their life for a few weeks, however, they will forever remain in my heart.

They changed my life for the better forever.

• MommaD
    Pottsville, PA
    Drexel University
    Ghana will change your life!
    05/02/2012

Ghana was the most primitive of my volunteer experiences. The town where I lived for a month had open sewer, mostly dirt roads, and lost electrical power daily. We slept under mosquito netting and took showers with buckets of cold water. We also washed our clothes in buckets as well. That said, I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. Each and every person in the community welcomes you with open arms. I felt such a sense of purpose everyday. I taught kindergarten in a school that lacked basic supplies we in the US take for granted, but still the children were happy to come and learn. As I would walk home from work I would see children playing with old bike tires or tin cans tied to a string or playing in a field with an old ball that was barely inflated. The remarkable thing about this is that the children were so happy with so little. Teenage girls and boys would help care for their younger brothers and sisters. There was such a sense of family and community in this town. It was as if they got it right and the rest of the world needed to follow their example. I have been many places in my life but I left my heart in Ghana.

• Lvazquez
    Houston
    Interdenominational Theological Center
    Volunteering in Ghana
    10/13/2011

This program was amazing. I loved where my placement was and liked how they did things with us in the afternoon so that we could get a better understanding of the cultural. The staff was amazing there and loved showing us how to cook, play their games, and whatever else. They were all very supportive and easy to talk to. I would definitely use them to go again!

About the provider

The Cross-Cultural Solutions Volunteer Abroad experience allows students and travelers to gain valuable experience overseas while working side by side with local individuals and communities to make an impact.

Since 1995, over 35,000 people have volunteered with Cross-Cultural Solutions, providing meaningful and sustainable volunteer services to international communities, and contributing responsibly to local economies.

Volunteers gain valuable experience working in areas such as education, healthcare, and social services. Visit the Cross-Cultural Solutions website to learn more about how we're changing everything.