Affordable Teaching Programs with IVHQ

By International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ   Reviews (19)   95% Rating

Many countries are desperate to have qualified teachers to help educate their youth. IVHQ provides several opportunities for volunteers to share their knowledge with children, teens and adults.

Placements can be in classrooms, community centers, orphanages, tutoring programs and special needs facilities. Teachers widely are needed to teach English, but can also teach other subjects or after school, recreational activities. Qualified teachers may conduct classes independently, and others can assist local teachers or team up with other international volunteers.

You'll find that students are enthusiastic to learn and are excited for you to be there. In order to better prepare, we encourage our volunteers to participate in an interactive pre-departure training on what it means to be a responsible volunteer.

Below is a list of 5 of the 29 countries we offer teaching placements in. You can find the rest on our Teaching page.

• Colombia: Though fluency in Spanish is not required, your teaching ability will be limited without some knowledge. Programs begin on the 1st and 15th of every month and last 1-24 weeks.
  • Italy: Volunteers are placed in and around Naples in southern Italy. Programs begin on the 1st and 15th of every month and last 2-24 weeks.
  • Madagascar: After one day or orientation, volunteers begin their training or work on the island of Nosy Komba. A criminal background check is required. Programs begin every first and third Monday and last 1-24 weeks.
  • Mexico: Volunteers can be placed at a teaching project in Merida, the capital of the Yucatan state. A criminal background check is required. Programs begin every first and third Monday and last 1-24 weeks.
  • Zambia: Programs are based in Livingstone, a laid back town near the Victoria Falls. A criminal background check is required. Programs begin every first and third Monday and last 1-24 weeks.
Project Types
180.00

There is a fee for the program volunteer (teacher). The weekly costs vary based on country. Hope this helps!

Rating Values

Paulina
Chicago

The Best Time of My Life

Overall 10

I signed up to do slum teaching in India with IVHQ for only one week, but now that it is the end of my volunteering experience I regret I can not stay here longer. One week was definitely not long enough and I do not want to go home yet. I will definitely come back here again and try to stay at least for one month. I have had the best time of my life volunteering in Delhi during the slum teaching program. My experience has been nothing like what I expected and more than I could have asked for.

First of all, India is a very safe country. Before coming here I was very skeptical about travelling on my own as a female in India and I was scared I will not feel comfortable to explore the city of Delhi on my own. Once I got here I realized that India is a very safe country. People here are very nice and are willing to help you at anytime in case you get lost or need help ordering a taxi. Also, most of the natives speak English so it is very easy to travel on your own and make friends. I have stayed with Chadni and Mohit who are IVHQ staff members and I was so lucky to have them as my host family. They made me feel like I am at home. After first few days they became my family and I will be forever grateful for everything they have done for me. Also, be aware that Indian food is absolutely amazing and you will gain weight here! I actually never liked Indian food because whenever I tried it while in Chicago it always burned my mouth but I totally chaged my mind once I got here. I even learned how to make some Indian dishes from my host family and I am excited to try them at home! And the best part of my stay in India was being able to interact and teach the kids from slums. The kids are so eager to learn and will pay so much attention to you that you will not want to leave at the end of each school day. They are also very grateful for what you are doing for them and never take your help for granted. I have learned that there is no financial resources for the kids to learn and get an education, yet they are making the best out of your time there and learn as much as possible. It has been the best feeling to know that during my short stay in India I have made a difference. Overall, this has been one of the most amazing experiences of my life and I recommend anyone to come here and do a slum teaching project in India!

Provider Response

Hi Paulina, What an awesome review! Thanks so much for taking the time to write an in-depth review from your time on the program in India, we really appreciate it. We are so glad that your host family was welcoming and your volunteer work was fulfilling. It sounds like you had a really special time and we are glad that we were able to help facilitate this for you. Thanks for being an IVHQer and we can’t wait to have you back!

Jolanda
Milan

Teaching experienc in indian slums

Overall 9

In indian slums schools are somewhat crazy, you absolutely have to try that! It is very challenging entering in a school with 200 students and try to catch their attention. You will teach letters and colors to little children, as well as equations and geography to the older ones. You can take care of a couple of kids at a time as well as explaining or organizing competitions with the whole class. Kids' smiles will give you very long lasting emotions.
Staying with the host family will allow you being in contact with the real indian lifestyle, their food and traditions. Chandni
and Mohit always know how to make us laugh. I really recommend this experience!

Provider Response

Hi Jolanda, Thanks so much for your recommendation! It sounds like you really enjoyed your time on the Slum Teaching project in Delhi. We would love to have you volunteer with us again in the future. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Mallory
White Rock, British Columbia

Teaching - South Africa

Overall 10

I volunteered in South Africa for March and April 2016. It was such an amazing experience that allowed me to do exactly what I had set out to do: touch my toes in the teaching world. Being inexperienced in teaching, I was unsure how hands on the experience would be & I was just excited to be with the kids. The kids were, of course, amazing, but I ALSO had the opportunity to be hands on with teaching at the primary school. I had the honour of teaching multiple lessons from a set curriculum, and was able to create my own fun twist on things. The staff there was so accommodating as to what class and/or age group I wanted to teach, and gave ongoing support. I couldn't have asked for better leaders, or a better environment.

Daryl
Sydney
University of Technology

Teaching program - Naples, Italy

Overall 9

Naples is a vibrant city rich in history, attractions, culture and food. The IVHQ teaching program is situated in the heart of Naples and the majority of schools are within walking distance from your accommodation. The IVHQ in-country support (INN) are always there ready to assist in whatever problems the volunteers might encounter. The teachers in the local schools are very friendly although their grasp of English is very limited. The students' understanding of English varies but generally the younger the student, the less English spoken. But you can get around with simple greetings in both English and Italian. Body language helps if you are stuck in translation and sometimes drawing on a piece of paper might be the only option! The students I taught (Grades 1-5) were so enthusiastic about learning and it only takes a short time before the children warm up to you and start telling you stories about their favourite football team - Forza Napoli of course!! Living the life of a Napolitano is a life-changing experience and something that I would not hesitate in doing again. Some people might be put off by the hustle and bustle of this densely populated city but my advice is just to immerse yourself in the situation and embrace it! Carpe Momentum.

Daniel
Denver, Colorado
Hampshire College

It's Not Always What We Expect

Overall 9

You know when you make an impulsive decision to go to a certain restaurant right and peel your car off the road, or buy something at the grocery store right at check-out? That's sort of how I decided to go to Madagascar and volunteer with IVHQ for 3 months.

My time in Madagascar wasn't all sunshine and beaches. When I first arrived, I was struck by how incredibly far I was away from everything familiar: my family, my culture (even if I resented parts of it), my friends especially. I left for Madagascar with a backpack full of clothes and a small, cheap flip phone that stopped working almost as soon as I got there, and seeing as how the volunteer placement was on an island, it didn't take long before I began to feel truly stranded.

There were many other Westerners there with me, lots of Canadians and Americans and English and Australians, but it wasn't helping. I couldn't connect with people, I began to feel panicked, and started making plans for how I would get home early with only $350 in the bank. It got to a point where I couldn't even be around other people. I felt like I was going insane.

When I decided I couldn't bare it anymore, told the local program coordinator, Elizabeth Beauchamp. I went down to the main house where she lived, found her, and began very awkwardly to tell her that I was feeling depressed and that I needed to take some time to be on my own, away from camp. After telling her this, during my first week there, her immediate response was "Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry. Take all the time you need. Will you continue to stay here on camp? Let us know if there is anything we can do to help." I managed to get a "thanks" out before I ran away with tears streaming from my eyes.

Usually I would have avoided this situation by leaving on my own terms, without telling anyone where I was going or what was going on, just get in my car and go. But when on an island, away from cars and home and friends, sometimes we are forced to face the facts of our lives, and tell others what our experience is. I went to Madagascar and became very depressed. That was my experience. And you know? It didn't stop after a week, or two weeks even. I was depressed like this for a month and a half, half my time in the country. For a while, I was hard on myself, telling myself that this wasn't the experience I expected, I should be making friends and having fun times. But I just couldn't. I had some internal struggle that was saying "hey, remember me? Pay attention to me. There are no more distractions. Turn and face me."

So that's what I did. I faced it. I took a hike on my own almost everyday, was gone for 4 or 5 or 6 hours at a time, being on my own in the forest. When I was feeling panicked around other people, I got up and left, went for a swim or just sat on the beach in silence. It was difficult, being on my own was just as hard sometimes as being around others. Once I got my phone working, I began calling family. I cried a lot, and sometimes even felt guilty that this was my experience traveling abroad. But I faced it.

And as I faced it, it got easier and easier, and one day I realized I was riding motorbikes with a group of incredibly beautiful girls, wondering what had happened before that could make me so sad. And the next day I was dancing in a club with a group of malagasy guys, socializing and smiling. and a week later I was snorkeling around the island, running into turtles the size of a cow, and feeding lemurs that were sitting on my shoulder, and teaching english and doing research in the forest and scuba diving and doing laundry in a river and learning Malagasy and getting very close to some very attractive women... and going to the club and dancing a lot and feeling more relaxed and talking more than I had in a long time and swinging in hammocks with giggling friends and hanging out with other people and I WAS FINALLY HAVING THE EXPERIENCE THAT I DREAMED ABOUT!!!

It took time though. To get to a point of comfortability. It took me 6 weeks. Others adjusted in a day. Everyone is different, and if I have any wisdom gained in my time in Madagascar, it would be exactly that. Everybody has their own experience. It doesn't do to compare your experience to other's, like I did at first. Your entire life will influence how you feel when you are traveling on your own, be it comfortable or uncomfortable, happy or unhappy, it doesn't matter. Do your best to embrace the experience you are having, because once I started to face myself how I was in the moment, I had the trip of a lifetime.

Some of the programs are under-coordinated, or simply not coordinated at all (like construction). The running of teaching and construction was eventually left in the hands of two interns, who started to get the program back on track. But they need funds, supplies, and people who are passionate. I would say getting passionate full-time staff to run the "community needs" program, and assist those interns where they are unqualified to handle situations, would be an excellent start to really making an impact on the community in which we stayed.
Wendy
Chicago, IL
University of Wisconsin- Madison

Life Changing Experience

Overall 8

Having traveled to other third world countries before, I was pleasantly surprised to get a completely different experience here. Working in a field that is not the same as my profession, in an environment that was physically challenging, with people from all over the world allowed me to grow in ways I never could have imagined ahead of time.

If you decide to be a volunteer, be ready to work hard, maybe harder than you have ever worked before. And be prepared to take initiatives. Nobody is going to tell you exactly what to do each day. You need to be creative and able to think outside of the proverbial box in order to come up with interesting ways to teach kids without the use of modern conveniences - and by that I'm not thinking about computers. You won't have an easy way to make copies, you will likely be without power, and thus without the internet for researching things to teach, for hours every day. But you would have to work very hard not to grow and come away a changed person.

Add to that the bonds you will make with the people from all over the world with whom you are living in the volunteer house and you will have many new friends whom you will miss greatly when they and/or you leave.

I would provide more assistance for creating lesson plans. There were some resources sent out ahead of time, but until you get there you don't know what ages/subjects you will be teaching so it is hard to prepare.
Margaret
Palo Alto, california

There will be singing

Overall 10

Everyone volunteers for their own reason which, as it turns out, are the same reasons for one and for all: To court change, and sometimes to do good.
INN, the Neapolitan center opens its experienced immaculate arms to volunteers, young and old.The opulently Baroque details of Naples come close to overwhelming the care and consideration of the staff at INN but not quite.

Brecht had a poem: (doesn't everyone?)

In the dark times will there also be singing?
Yes there will also be singing
About the dark times.

I was a bother and they, Sara, Chiara, Ivan, and Stefano, put up with me anyway. I will sing their songs for a very long time.

They have already provided washing machines. That was the. If one. Now the toilet seat question can be addressed.
Acacia
Phoenix, Arizona
Arizona State University

My volunteer experience in Kenya, Africa

Overall 10

I had never been out of the country before, let alone by myself, so I was very hesitant about doing a volunteer trip across the world. I went back and forth about going, but something in my heart kept telling me to go. I made the decision to go to Kenya, Africa and it was amazing! Everything fell into place and worked out perfectly, from the helpful staff, the great placement, and an awesome roommate. I got to volunteer at a school that held about 45 children. I helped teach the children, grade their work, and also paint the school. The teacher and students were so grateful for everything we did. Though I was only there for 2 short weeks, I feel like I learned so much and have become a better human being. I got to experience a place that I had never even imagined. Things were definitely different from the United States, in some ways good and some ways bad. The people in Kenya are so appreciative, hard working, friendly, loving, and happy. They don't have all of the things we have in the United States, but they put a smile on their face everyday! I am so grateful that I found IVHQ and was able to have this once in a life time experience! I can't wait for my next trip with them! My one word of advice is to follow your heart! Don't listen to all of the bad things that people say about different countries. Traveling and seeing it for yourself is really the only way to go.

The one thing that I would change about the program is to provide the full information booklet up front. I almost didn't go on the trip because I was so worried about not knowing where I was staying or how safe it would be. After I paid the fee, I got to see the large booklet that made me and my family feel so much better about me going. Without all of the information, it makes people question whether or not IVHQ is a legitimate company. The low prices scare people away and think it's too good to be true. I think by providing them with as much information as possible will help them to not think that way.
My volunteer experience in Kenya, Africa
Kylie
Louisville, KY

Zambia

Overall 10

My stay in Zambia with IVHQ may have only been 9 days, but will stay with me for a lifetime. During my 9 days I was able to volunteer, give back, sight-see, and become part of the Zambia culture. My volunteer experience was amazing. I was awarded the opportunity to teach at Standard of Life Academy. The children there were so welcoming with smiles and eager hearts ready to learn. Outside of volunteering a group and myself was able to meet with a local who took us to his home village outside of Livingstone. The group and I were able to provide food for the 11 families and bring toys to the children. This experience showed the true meaning of happiness.

Being in Zambia was the most refreshing trip I've ever taken. Not only did the IVHQ staff welcome me at their home, but the entire culture of Zambia made me feel welcomed. The friendly Zambian people made it hard to leave such great area who really demonstrated simplicity and happiness.

The only way to improve the program would be to take away the 1 week option! The only thing I regret about my trip is not staying longer. I recommend volunteers stay longer and experience all Zambia has to offer. It would also be beneficial to demonstrate all the other projects IVHQ offers.

Hi Kylie!
Thanks for your amazing review - we are so happy that you had an amazing cultural immersion experience and that you felt at home in Zambia! Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Juan Jose
Weston, FL
Broward College

IVHQ India-- Teaching in Slums

Overall 10

Without a doubt, the experience with IVHQ was remarkable. Since the moment I arrived to the New Delhi airport to the moment I got dropped back off, there was never a banal moment. Every moment throughout the experience was fascinating and unique. The other volunteers I met were one of the most incredible people I've ever met, the host family is now considered my literal family (in the eastern side of the world), and the kids in the project I worked at were truly special. Seldom, if ever, will you live moments like the ones you do in IVHQ. I just arrived back home and I'm already planning my next one!

If I had to change one thing, it would be that a physical certificate would be handed out once you're done with the project, like they do in Global Volunteer Network.
Provider Response

Hi there Juan, thank you for your feedback! Your experience sounds like it was incredible, we are so glad that you found your time in Delhi fascinating from start to end. Can't wait to have you on another IVHQ program soon!
Thanks for your comment regarding the certificates, IVHQ does send out a certificate when a volunteer has completed the feedback form at the end of their trip.

Robert
Coventry, United Kingdom
Leeds Metropolitan University

Great experience in Ghana!

Overall 9

In July 2015 I set out on my month long adventure in Ghana with IVHQ. Having already done a similar thing in South Africa a year earlier I wanted to experience a different part of Africa. Ghana did not disappoint. Living right in the heart of the village community was great and it doesn't take long for everybody in that community to learn your name and welcome you so wholeheartedly into their lives. You will be constantly reminded of the friendliness of the local people with gleeful shouts of your name and 'you're welcome!' when they see you.

The weekends away were also extremely enjoyable. Cape Coast is an absolute must, with a fantastic beach and the fascinating, yet humbling, slave castles. I'd also recommend Kokrobite beach for those that may want the weekend to let their hair down and have a few drinks at an idyllic beach hostel. There is also normally some great live local music being played there as well.

I encountered a few problems with the actual teaching itself. I arrived during the kids exam week and therefore the amount of teaching I actually got to do was limited but I let the supervisors know and they managed to organise a summer camp for the children to attend and this was great fun and allowed me to do a small bit of teaching at least. I'd recommend checking with IVHQ before you sign up that you will be able to do your full quota of work.

If you are looking for a bit of relaxation in a peaceful and tranquil environment surrounded by friendly and fun people then I would definitely recommend going to Ghana, and the perfect way to fully experience the people and the culture of Ghana is to immerse yourself fully into their way of life. IVHQ helped do this with the location of our placement, making us feel really like just another member of this great community.

Thanks IVHQ!

Provider Response

Hey Robert! Thanks for the review of your month long stay in Ghana. IVHQ are so glad that you had an enjoyable adventure while volunteering! Thank-you for the recommendation. Hope you can join us on another program in the future!

Muriel
Switzerland

Teaching in Zambia

Overall 10

"Summer School with international teachers!" - That's what the advertisement sign at the gate of my school read. I might be international, but I was far from a teacher on that first day of my volunteer adventure! Throughout the next four weeks I tried to fill the teacher role as best as I could and I enjoyed it extremely! My kids were eager to learn and super sweet. I didn't change the world in these four weeks and I couldn't teach every child to read and write but it was the small victories that made it all worthwhile. That little boy, who can now write his name and is eager to learn more; or the girl who was so shy and scared in the beginning that she didn't speak above a whisper finally spoke up and participated in class; or the forth grader who was always last in his class and felt like he would never be able to excel can add numbers without using his fingers now! This is just one of the many reasons I loved my time teaching in Zambia and can wholeheartedly recommend it!

Provider Response

Hi Muriel, Thanks for your recommendation. It sounds like you had a very special volunteer experience where you were able to make an impression on your students but also gain some valuable teaching experience at the same time. Thanks for being an IVHQer and we hope to see you again on another IVHQ program soon.

Luke
California

India Delhi ivhq

Overall 10

I wasn't sure what to expect traveling to India as I am not an experienced traveler so being greeted upon arrival by someone from the program was a great relief. we chose not to do orientation week as my wife and I were only volunteering for only 2 weeks, so being very inexperienced it was great to have such a loving and helpful host family looking out for us. They helped with everything from day to day purchases to organizing taxis and travel on our time off and making sure we were never taken advantage of. The school was amazing , it was so fun interacting with the children and they will always have a place in my heart , I enjoyed every day there and have so many great memories of the kids .
Overall my experience was great and would do it again in a heartbeat!
I would like to give a big thanks to Rashmi , Rohit , Reyansh and ivhq for such a great trip and can't wait to see everyone again !

Provider Response

Hi Luke, It is absolutely our pleasure :) It sounds like you had a really special volunteer experience, and it's great to hear that you felt supported by IVHQ, our local team and your host family all the way. Thanks for being an IVHQer and we hope to see you and Tuilani on another IVHQ program again soon.

Hannah
England

Ice-cream after class

Overall 9

I had a fantastic time teaching university students in Hanoi and found all my classes friendly and welcoming. As I was teaching alone, my students loved to immerse me in Vietnamese culture and took me out for trips and meals frequently! A highlight for me personally, was after a very hot and humid evening class, my students surprised me by taking me to get some local ice-cream at their favourite cafe (where one of my students worked). We then spent the rest of the evening trying a whole range of Vietnamese dishes and I had a Vietnamese language lesson: a lovely evening for everyone involved.

Bigger rooms and more bathrooms/showers for the volunteers. Aircon would make sleeping in the apartment easier, and ensure that students at English club can work without being bothered by the heat.
Provider Response

Hello Hannah! Thanks for the the great feedback on the volunteer program in Vietnam - sounds like you had an amazing time being immersed in the culture. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Aaron
Boston, MA
University of Michigan

Teaching Means You get to Learn!

Overall 10

I was fortunate to volunteer to teach English at the Linda Community School. I arrived at school by 8am and usually joined the 2nd grade class. The local teacher extended not only English but any of the other courses she taught in English, for me to teach. This gave me an opportunity to push myself to prepare new lessons, adapt my style and teach. When classes were in the local language, I moved on and worked with older students, preparing for exams and pre-school children, wanting to learn new songs. It was a perfect blend of experiences and new learning for me. I had a chance to interact with teachers and contribute my ideas as well as better understand some of the local challenges. After just 2 weeks, I felt a part of the school and if I could have, would have extended my stay. I have already applied for a Booster Grant, offered by IVHQ, on a quarterly basis, to help the school meet some of its resource needs. Can't wait to volunteer again.

Assignment was a great fit for me. As an IVHQ volunteer at other locations, I had the opportunity to use local resources from the sponsor (eg. printer, paper, workbooks to help prepare for my classes). The program in Zambia is new and not as developed. It is my hope in time, that the local partner will be able to do the same and have resources available for volunteers to use.
Provider Response

Hi Susan, Thanks for sharing your thoughts on volunteering with IVHQ in Zambia. It sounds like you had a very rewarding volunteer abroad experience and we look forward to having you volunteer with us again in the future.

April
Kingston, ON Canada

Teaching in Madagascar

Overall 9

Teaching in Madagascar was an amazing experience. I loved working with the kids and the adults. I also truly became a part of the community in Ampangarina (village) which was an experience you can't replace. Hearing people's English improve was amazing. Plus, MRCI set up a great home and community for us. I would recommend this to anyone.

Hi April,

We are so glad to hear that 3 weeks volunteering in Madagascar on our teaching English project was an irreplaceable experience.

Thank you for the feedback.

Catherine

Charlie
Prestbury, Cheshire
University of Derby

Hanoi - Teaching English

Overall 9

Arrived Sunday night, met everyone. Monday morning had breakfast (egg bahn mi at a local cafe) then we were taken round the city, see some sights and in the afternoon had a look at some places. On tuesday, orientation continued and we saw the place where we would actually work. Actual work started on wednesday, a guide was hired to take to and from work every day for the first week, after the first week we had to make our own way. I recommend volunteers plan to visit somewhere over the weekend as there isn't a lot to do unless you want to play 200 games of ping pong. Ha Long bay is good if you find a decent trip organiser. Hoi An is beautiful, I would save going there for the last days of your time in Vietnam like I did because you don't want to go back.

About teaching english, I was lucky to have a placement at a great kindergarten with inclusive teachers and kids who were mostly easy. My hours were 8-4 with a break from 1130-1430. Teaching entailed joining in with the students and singing nursery rhymes. Also had to housework in the classroom, sweeping, cleaning, setting the tables up, putting the tables back. While the break sounds good, unless you find something to do, its very boring and trying to sleep in the day, as the teachers and kids do during nap time, only makes you feel more tired. So you need to find something to do in those 3 hours.

After work each day, we came back and relaxed in the apartment lounge and then after dinner (provided by the organisation) we would usually go out to a bar.

If the organisation found a way to drain the water from the bathroom floor in the apartment, so there wasn't always a puddle, that would be great. Its because the shower is in the same part of the bathroom and the drain in behind the toilet, so you need to sweep the water with a brush to get it to go down and this takes a while. So maybe the organisation could spend a little money and install a wide drain that dipped down in the centre of the room. Therefore the floor would be dry enough that people wouldn't have to wear flipflops before they enter the bathroom.
jennifer
Huntington Beach, CA

The best experience of my life!

Overall 10

I went to Colombia to teach English for a week. I will say that this has been the most rewarding experience I've had yet. Everything went smoothly. Thanks to IVHQ and Emerging Voices Colombia, I felt safe the entire time. The volunteer coordinators/supervisors are extremely helpful & caring. The volunteer apartment is great & safe. At the school I taught at, the kids were extremely loving & affectionate. That's what I love most about the Colombian culture. They welcome you like you're family. I made new friends from all walks of life. I got to hike a mountain (something that I normally would not do). This experience allowed me to try new things & interact with new people. I came home with a different perspective & memories that are priceless. I'm so happy I took part in this experience. The memories I came home with...you just can't put a price on it! I recommend for everyone to go!

I really have nothing bad to say about the program. If I had to change something, I wish I had extended my stay in Colombia & stayed longer. I didn't want to go home. That's how amazing the experience was!
Mariam
Toronto, Canada
University of Toronto

IVHQ-CASA HOY-MEXICO

Overall 10

I had a wonderful time in Cuernavaca, Mexico at Casa Hoy, an organic and beautiful hostel run by a warm and friendly family. Not only did Katie and Gerardo ensure that I felt welcomed but their generosity and cooperation made it undeniably easy to assimilate into Mexican culture. It is always slightly intimidating to enter a new family's home, let alone live with them for a prolonged period but not for a moment did I feel like I was not a part of their happy family. The food was excellent, Katie used the freshest and most wholesome of ingredients and prepared every meal by hand with effort and love. Our lodging was comfortable, toiletries, bedding, everything was provided by the family and I had no trouble whatsoever.

As for the project itself...I cannot thank Casa Hoy enough for sending me to Telesecundaria, a public school with children from low income families. I taught them English, learnt Spanish, played educational games and fell in love with every kid's inspirational story and ambition. Though the students lacked discipline, to a certain extent and at times I was frustrated and wanted to project utmost strictness, it was hard not to enjoy their childish antics and merry making. At the end of the day, I took a lot from the project, I gave a lot to the children and I was able to evaluate my own levels of patience and tolerance, which are necessary tools when dealing with children.

I have made life long relationships with Casa Hoy and Telesecundaria. I may not live in Mexico, but I know that Mexico is forever embedded in my heart. The people are hospitable and friendly, the culture is vibrant and fulfilling in every way and the IVHQ experience is unforgettable.

I only request that certain things be included in the package fees, such as pick up and drop off as well as a small budget for traveling to and from the projects.

IVHQ (International Volunteer HQ) provides safe, unique, meaningful and extremely affordable volunteer programs in 35+ countries around the world, with a constantly expanding base. Programs are available in Asia, Africa, Europe, Central America, South America and the Pacific, where IVHQ works alongside local NGOs to provide meaningful volunteer opportunities. IVHQ has programs in Mexico, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Colombia, Argentina, Ecuador, Peru, Brazil, Ghana, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zambia, South Africa, Morocco, Victoria Falls, Madagascar, Bali, China, Nepal, India, Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Laos, the Philippines, Fiji, New Zealand, Romania, Italy, Spain, Portugal and Hawaii!

Whether you're taking a volunteer vacation, a gap year, or on a career break, IVHQ has a wide variety of programs ranging from 1 week to 24 weeks to fit anyone's schedule. Browse through the programs below and visit the IVHQ website for more information.

Community Photos: