GVI: Volunteer Teaching Programs

GVI: Volunteer Teaching Programs

We are proud to launch our new GVI Business Internships Abroad!
Business Internships Abroad are a great way to apply your business management and leadership skills and explore the world while experiencing new cultures and contributing to a sustainable cause and kickstarting your own career!

GVI’s Business Internships are the perfect opportunity to gain valuable, hands-on experience, especially if you are a student majoring in:
- business management,
- human resources,
- accountancy,
- marketing or
- international relations students

Business Interns can look forward to using their theoretical training skills to work in a local community with developing entrepreneurs, assisting them with developing their microenterprise businesses by:
- running hands-on, educational workshops on microenterprise business skills,
- conducting business training initiatives and
- mentoring and guiding small business owners

To apply or find out more about the value of the internships, follow the link below.

Volunteer to teach children in some of the world’s most beautiful and remote locations where schools are often overcrowded and teachers are a limited, stretched out resource. We offer volunteer teaching opportunities in a variety of locations:

• Laos: Volunteer with Lao children with a focus on teaching English, helping to develop their understanding of the language and increasing their chances of a better education and employment opportunities.
  • Fiji: Gain practical experience while you make a real difference to communities, assisting and sharing your skills with local teachers to improve the quality of education in under-resourced schools.
  • India: Volunteers will work with and teach underprivileged children. This program is based in the Indian state of Kerala, known as "God's Own Country."
  • Mexico: Volunteer at a children's center run by Save the Children. Provide a safe environment for the children to learn and play and empower them to know and apply their rights. Explore Mexico’s picturesque Caribbean coastline in your free time.
  • Costa Rica: Travel to Costa Rica to teach English to underprivileged children and adults in the local community. Surf or explore the tropical rainforests and stunning beaches in your free time.
Asia » Laos
Project Types

Luke
UK

One of a kind

I have spent half of my year volunteering abroad and working with GVI in Laos for one month was hands down my favourite experience and is certainly one of a kind. Situated in Laung Prabang, a serene city renowned for its preservation of culture, you are able to truly see the impact you have on the community. Teaching English to Novice Monks is a very unique experience one that only exemplifies the cultural exchange that you can't get from anywhere else. You are very much in control in what you want to do but always have the full support from the GVI staff at all times. It is an experience that I will never forget and highly recommend it to everyone.

Monique
South Africa
University of California- Santa Barbara

Great experience in Mexico

I volunteered with GVI Mexico back in 2005. I went as a volunteer, put my dive and biology skills to amazing use, dived incredible reefs, and didn't leave for another 3 years! I stayed on to work as a staff member. I loved working in and with the community, teaching English, diving everyday, witnessing the reef health change over the years, and teach other volunteers about the reef. I met so many incredible people throughout the years, most of whom I am still in touch with. The experience also inspired me to pursue an MSc in Marine and Coastal Management. I can't say enough about the great experience I had. Health and Safety policies will keep you safe and the experience is great for first time travellers as you'll be in a group, but also for experienced travellers looking for a unique experience and every type of person in between from gap years to career breaks to retirees looking to do something new.

I had a fabulous experience but went with a very open mind and was up for anything. Perhaps a variety of detailed information in various forms (blogs, etc.) about the living conditions and what to expect so that everyone is clear on what to expect. I do know that this already exists but everyone has different expectations based on their life experiences so it is not always easy to make everyone happy with the expectations of the project.

Lauren
University of Guelph

A Life Changing Experience

I was incredibly fortunate to be a participant on the first ever Community and Culture Expedition that GVI ran in Tulum, Mexico. Our aim was to teach English to members of the local community as it was an area that was growing exponentially in tourism (Ten years later Tulum is now the "Go To" vacation spot). I received excellent training for my Teaching English as a Second Language certification, had the opportunity to teach both adult classes in the local community center as well as after-school English classes to high school students, received both Spanish and Mayan lessons, and truly felt welcomed by the entire city of Tulum. GVI organised an incredibly supportive leadership team that included two teacher trainers, a cultural adviser who was from the area, and also provided a scholarship for a local participant. We were all welcomed into the homes of our students, learned about the local cuisine, anthropological and geographical history, and formed life-long friendships with both the other participants and locals. As we were part of the first ever expedition, we had the unique opportunity of developing the future of the program. We were able to assist in the set up of future program initiatives such as English lessons for the local Taxi drivers that would enhance their employ-ability with the influx of tourism. My expedition was unfortunately during Hurricane Emily, but the local hurricane policies combined with GVI's policies kept us and expedition members from near-by programs very safe, and we were able to assist in hurricane clean-up afterwards. I have nothing but the fondest memories of my experience with GVI and would (and do) HIGHLY recommend their programs to anyone.

At the time, the need for this program was evident in the entire city of Tulum. Currently, most who live in Tulum speak English as their third language - largely because of GVI and other English teaching programs. I do not know of any improvements I would have made to the program except to enhance the reach to communities outside of Tulum so that they might enhance their employ-ability as well.

GVI is an award-winning organisation that tackles critical local and global issues by operating education and training programs on sustainable development projects around the world.

Formed in 1997, we have been operating our award-winning programmes for over two decades and over 25,000 participants have volunteered