SCAD Study Abroad Program in Lacoste, France

By Savannah College of Art and Design   Reviews (4)   100% Rating

Study abroad with Savannah College of Art and Design in Lacoste, France and be immersed in the culture of Provence. Lacoste is known by artists for it's vibrant lighting and beautiful setting. SCAD's Lacoste facilities are modern, yet set in this medieval town. Students can visit with traveling artists, and see museums and various sites in the area for a great source of creativity. Check out the SCAD website right now for more specifics (Psst...the SCAD Lacoste Facebook page is also a great way to reach out to staff and former students!)

View Program Information
Photography
Languages:
French
Travel:
Participants travel to the program independently.
Application:

Positive
Leave a Review
  • WhyDoYouNeedThis
    Age: 31-50
    Don't know why you need to know this either
    Savannah College of Art & Design
    Not the type of opportunity you want to pass up.
    08/22/2012

My fondest memories are of several of us standing around 1 of the grand pianos singing Adele while someone played the piano. Several nights of that. Months later, we're still posting to facebook about how we miss each other. Having dinner every night with the same people may seem a little monotonous for some, but it created a great sense of family (something that is surely needed when you are so far away from home). I'm sure each quarter has its on unique set of characteristics, but I was there during the spring. We had a few days of yucky, cold, clammy & damp weather, but even with that, Lacoste is a beautiful village. When we got sun and nice weather it just made it that much more enjoyable. Plenty of nights were spent in one of the two computer labs (mac or pc). The vernissage was awesome! I was so impressed by all of the students' work. I'm still amazed at the talent that SCAD has helped to develop. I can't say enough about the study abroad program. Depending on the course(s) you take, the workload can be very challenging (or may be kind of light) - just depends on what you are doing. In any case, 8 weeks definitely makes for a crunch for time. I hope you decide to sign up for the program. It's one opportunity everyone should take.

How could this program be improved?

That hill! Ok, but since that probably can't be changed, an update to the food... :-) Aurevoir!

Useful: 0 Inspiring: 0
  • travelcat
    Savannah, GA
    Beautiful!
    08/20/2012

Lacoste was the most beautiful place I have ever been! Waking up surrounded by stone walls, then you walk down to the cafe to be surrounded by wonderful smells and delicious food, then you go on adventure after adventure! The only thing I wish I could change about my experience is that I wish I could have stayed even longer! It became a second home!

Useful: 1 Inspiring: 0
  • MSavannah
    Savannah, Georgia
    Savannah College of Art & Design
    Best Experience I have ever had!
    08/20/2012

Lacoste is such a beautiful and enriching place to live for a few months. I encourage any student to study abroad here. Every week was filled with field trips and learning opportunities. The staff is excellent and you grow very close with all of them. They spend so much time with the students that it becomes one big family. I would go back in a heartbeat!

Useful: 0 Inspiring: 0
  • MissTravelGirl
    Massachusetts, USA
    Savannah College of Art & Design
    Studying in the heart of Provence
    11/02/2011

I spent two quarters, Fall 2008 and Fall 2009, studying in Lacoste, France with Savannah College of Art and Design and had the most incredible experience of my lifetime. The school is perched on top of a hill in a little ancient town of 300 residents. It's located in the heart of Provence, in a region known as the Luberon region. I felt like I was at a sleep away camp even though I was there to attend school and study.

The dorms are traditional French country homes - they are little houses made of stones. The dorms included all the household goods - linens, dishes, soap, hangers, and even water bottles! The food in the dinning hall are absolutely delicious and many of the menu items are real traditional French food such as Quiche, crepes, strawberry tarts and even bread and cheese!

They offered a variety of courses including photography, drawing, art history, jewelry design, etc. The professors were top notch as they were very knowledgeable about the subjects they teach. In many of the courses, professors took us on field trips to different parts of Provence such as Arles, Aix-en-Provence, Pont-du-Gard, Marseilles, and Avignon. In my art history courses, we visited several historical sites and the professors gave us lectures on the site. In my photography courses, we visited many destinations that allowed us to take unique photographs.

The beautiful scenery of Provence, which included mountains, vineyards, and lavenders, provided us students, many of whom were artists, many opportunities to explore our creativity by drawing, painting, photographing and socializing in the countryside.

All in all, I was provided with a well rounded education that went beyond outside of the classroom.

Useful: 1 Inspiring: 0

About the provider

The Savannah College of Art & Design (SCAD) invites students to come study abroad at various locations around the world to gain a global perspective and a new source of inspiration. SCAD's off campus programs are geared towards enhancing student's educational experiences while earning credit towards their degrees. Some recent destinations include Australia, China, Dubai, Italy, Japan, London, Los Angeles and New York City. Check out the listings and reviews below, or consult the SCAD website for further details!