Make a REAL difference in Ethiopia with Love Volunteers

By Love Volunteers   Reviews (6)   87% Rating

Love Volunteers needs volunteers like you to help in Ethiopia! Explore this interesting country, gain a broader perspective on life, and help those who live in poverty. Love Volunteers offers volunteer options working with children and in the medical field.

Those who decide to work with the children, ages 3 to 10, will teach a variety of subjects including English, information technology, sports development, and life skills for those who are disabled. No teaching experience is required.

Volunteers can also choose to work with health care at hospitals and clinics in Ethiopia. This project is great experience for those who are interested in working in the medical field anywhere in the world. There is a need for volunteers in all areas of medical work. Check out the Love Volunteers website for more information!

View Program Information
18-22
22-35
50+
Cost Description:

Love Volunteers registration fee, plus program fees starting at just US$400 for 2 weeks.
Program fees cover airport pickup, orientation, accommodation, and food (see website for specific program details).
The Love Volunteers registration fee covers any placements you undertake for twelve months from the start of your first placement.
This fee is refundable if you choose not to volunteer more than three months prior to the start of your initial placement.

Languages:
Local dialects
Housing:
Home-stay
Volunteer House
Travel:
Participants travel to the program independently (not in a group with other participants).
Application:

Positive
Leave a Review
  • DCgirl
    Age: 19-24
    Vermont
    American University
    10 weeks in Ethiopia - and loved it.
    03/13/2013

I volunteered in Ethiopia for 10 weeks over the summer through love volunteers. Love volunteers was absolutely wonderful. They are affordable, and answered all my questions and concerns quickly! I was really impressed with them.

I had the most wonderful time both in Ethiopia and volunteering with the organization there. I was placed in a hospice program, but also spent time with the teaching program and I really enjoyed both. The members of the organization were welcoming, wonderful, and a lot of fun. They made it an easy adjustment to a very different culture. They also were really great at helping with anything that was needed.

I did the hospice program in the morning, and then went back to the house for lunch, and then would do the after school program in the afternoon. Sometimes on fridays I would go with the teaching volunteers to the school because I wanted to see what that was like!

The country is very religious, and so are the members in the organization. I am not religious, but they were very respectful of my beliefs. Of course they asked a lot of questions, but so did I because we both wanted to understand our cultures, and they were always respectful of it. I never felt that they were pressuring me. Religion is also a big part of working with the kids and hospice program, but that is because religion is a big part of their culture. I was not off-put by it, but instead found it inspiring how rich in beliefs and culture it was.

There was a lot of freedom to explore the city, and I even ventured to other parts of Ethiopia, which was absolutely amazing. The food is so good, and the people are so kind and friendly. There is a lot to do in the city! Or even to just relax for some downtown at home! It was such a great experience!

Useful: 2 Inspiring: 3
  • Ayasha
    Switzerland
    Volunteering in Addis Ababa
    05/01/2012

I have to separate this in two parties: one is the love volunteers part which what ok and the other was the project in Addis where I went working.
    Actually, I was very warmly welcomed and the responsible people took good care of me. But as they told me, they haven't had yet a great experience with volunteers and so the whole thing was not really organised. I had a lot of "empty" time I wasn't able to fill with something because there were no possibilities to do so, or at least it was difficult. Also I think I could have done more important things, which means things they couldn't to themselves easily like teaching english f.ex. So I passed most of my time in the kitchen helping the cook, not really a very big thing. Of course, the cook was very happy for the help, but she could have managed that also without my help.
    For me personally, the biggest problem I had there was that I found out after some time that probably all the people working for this community are members of a evangelical church and evangelising strongly. I attended many scenes who where just too much for me. I can't say they don't take care of the kids in the program or that they are bad people or anything like this, but they do kind of brainwash everyone educating them strongly in their very narrow view of the world.
    It took me some time to realise all this and the impact it has on the society of this country and what kind of problems that arises.
    I have to underline that nevertheless I had a good time with the people there, apart of this problems.

Useful: 2 Inspiring: 0
  • Marayca
    Not in Cali
    FERENGI in ETHIOPIA
    05/01/2012

"Ferengi ferengi!" I cannot say how many times I heard that while walking down the street in Addis. Hundreds! Ferengi means foreigner but I never felt like one. Way at the contrary, the warm reception of Ethiopians and their tremendous sense of hospitality made me feel like a very special guest.
    I was volunteering with Love Volunteers for two weeks, teaching "English with an accent" to 3 to 5 year-old kids, and the experience was priceless!
    It definitely was a life changing experience, once that brought me back in touch with this World's reality and that made me really reconsider the value of life and appreciate things that we often take for granted as citizens of the First World. These two weeks were for me a lesson I received on humanity, humility, good principles, and manners.
    Amesege'nallo' Ethiopians!!!!

Useful: 1 Inspiring: 1
  • lettie
    Dubai
    Love Volunteers Ethiopia program
    05/01/2012

I spent two weeks last summer in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. I signed up for the Teaching Program and have not regretted it since. I was nervous about going during this time because of teh rainy season but the weather was great, with an occasional rainy night or day. As told by others who lived there, I was lucky to have experienced not so many rainy days.
    I was picked up from the airport by Tamrat, one of the partners with LV and Dundee, the head of the school I volunteered. Both are such nice, generous, friendly and very funny guys. They picked me and another volunteer up. We went to the guesthouse where we would be spending the next two weeks living and sleeping. The guesthouse is pretty decent. There is a wonderful woman there who washed clothes, cooked and greeted you each morning with a great smile. Some rooms you had to share but there were a couple where you were able to be single in teh room. I was lucky again and got a decent sized room with my own bathroom. Everyone else had to share.
    Ethiopia is a third world country so you will experience things such as water outages or power outtages. That happened a number of times during my stay. The great thing is someone always brings you a bucket of water ( May be cold water) so you can wash up.
    The teaching program was a little different since we came during the summer. School was out so we were pretty much teaching in like a summer school. The children are AWESOME! They are so willing to learn and excited to have volunteers and just too CUTE! They just want you to play with them and show them attention. They ranged from 3 -7 in the mornings and in the afternoon, there was a program for older children..some teenagers.I think teh most difficult is the beginning when you are just thrown into teaching the FIRST time you are at the school. It can be a bit overwhelming and also you don't have alot of resources so we just made alot of our own ( Flashcards, etc)
    We were given a tour of Addis by a great and friendly guy named Eyasu. Also we went to various restaurants and shopping venues on our days off. Some of us traveled to other places in Ethiopia for weekend trips. Tamrat, Eyasu and Dundee are very informative and supportive in helping you go where you need to go.
    I felt fully immersed into the culture and enjoyed every aspect of it. I am glad I went with LV because they were definitely a great price and quite affordable for people who would love to volunteer but just don't have the finances that sme of these other programs charge. Julian and Kelly were always prompt with answering my questions and getting me in touch with the right people. Very happy with my experience with them and would definitely do another program with them in the future.

Useful: 3 Inspiring: 0
  • kpcs2002
    Age: 25-30
    Clarkston Washington
    Walla Walla University
    Ethiopia!
    04/30/2012

I spent 3 months in Ethiopia, and had the best time. I did have a rough time with culture shock, but overall had a great experience. The people are all amazing, and loving as a whole. The staff at the guest house could not be better. I built some lifelong relationships, and cannot wait to return!

Useful: 0 Inspiring: 2
  • Paul
    Age: 25-30
    NZ
    Amazing Experience in Addis Ababa
    04/30/2012

Ethiopia is very different to what I expected and I can't recommend it enough. The people are friendly and positive and the volunteer team I worked with were very inspirational people.

Volunteers should expect a religious environment in Ethiopia because it is a very religious country. However, I am non-religious and still had an incredible time.

Certainly some aspects of the program could have been organised better, but I think that is typical of life in a developing countries. The small concerns I did have with organising lessons were quickly addressed and I always felt the local team were striving to improve and learn from volunteers.

I am really pleased I chose to volunteer with Love Volunteers in Ethiopia and hope I'll return some day soon :)

Useful: 2 Inspiring: 0

About the provider

We are just a handful of passionate people working hard to help volunteers and local communities around the world. We don't have huge overheads - no company cars, no downtown office - we're just volunteers who thought we could do a better job. We work with local organisations wherever we can to keep administration costs to a minimum and also to return as much money and skills to the local communities where we operate. We can offer the lowest possible fees, but also ensure that you are immersed in the local culture and are actually making a difference!