Cross-Cultural Solutions - Volunteer Programs in India

India is diverse in many aspects: history, religion, politics, landscape, language, and customs. Although India has recently become one of the fastest growing economies, much of its population still lies in poverty. Cross-Cultural Solutions volunteer program in India seeks to help communities that are lagging in social progress due to malnutrition and illiteracy. While volunteering in India with CCS, you will help these communities with a project that matches your skills and interests.

CCS offers its volunteers in India the option of volunteering in New Delhi or Dharamsala. Volunteers may also choose from the following projects: caregiving, teaching, community development, and healthcare. As a volunteer in India, you will be helping improve the quality of life for many Indians.

Program Info

See site for details.
See Additional Information
Cost Description:

What You Get For The Fee
* Personalized Volunteer Placement with our Partner Programs, based on your skills and interests, including all the coordination, in-person visits and communication necessary with each local organization.
* In-country Perspectives Programming that includes excursions to nearby points of interest, special events and discussions with a variety of local cultural, professional, governmental and community agencies and people.

Languages:
Hindi
Housing:
Volunteer House
Travel:
Participants travel to the program independently (not in a group with other participants).
Some travel is required during the program.
Application:
Health Requirement

Videos

Positive
Leave a Review
  • Emma
    San Diego, California
    Aurora University
    CCS Delhi is absolutely life changing
    01/03/2015

CCS Delhi focuses on complete cultural immersion. Outside of our volunteer assignments we had Hindi lessons, visited various places of religious worship and explored different parts on India on the weekend. From beginning to end it was a huge learning opportunity. We shared meals together like a family and had a chance to try dishes representing every part of India. My volunteer assignment was to collaborate and assist a teacher through the NGO Vidya Munirka. I had the opportunity to work hands-on with the students in my class as we learned and reviewed letters in English and Hindi, practiced numbers and understanding number values and learning shapes. We would follow up each lesson with a worksheet which allowed the children a chance to re-enforce the material! Outside of my volunteer assignment I spent weekends exploring Jaipur, Agra, Rishikesh and Hardiwar. During the week the staff would give us advice about places we should go and things we should do for our weekend trips. It was extremely helpful! Also, CCS has planned activities during the week! Some of my favorites were: visiting a Sikh Temple, visiting a Hindu temple, Hindi lessons, attending a classical dance performance, going to see a movie in theaters. Also while I was there I had a chance to attend Sufi singing, learned how to bargain and became completely comfortable navigating our surrounding community in Delhi!

How could this program be improved?

Be sure to exchange your money once you get to India because you will get a better exchange rate. Also you can buy a lot of products in India so you don't need to pack everything unless you use very specific items.

• Miffa Terry
    San Diego
    University of Montana–Missoula
    Incredible India
    11/11/2014

My favorite part of the trip was a toss up between meeting and getting to know a Buddhist monk living in Dharamsala to escape the unjust in Tibet and watching the student I had been working with all summer sing the Beatles "Yellow Submarine" to their families during the end of the semester program. India is an amazing land and culture and the experience facilitated by CCS allowed you to immerse yourself in India to the fullest.

Better pricing

• Margaret Rubin
    Age: 51 or older
    New York
    Temple University
    Project India Cross-Cultural Solutions
    11/11/2014

This was a dream come true. CCS offered a safe way to enter the world, the world of India. It is another world. I was my life-long dream and happened in India in 1997.

This was the land of my dreams from age six to fifty when I went.
    I will never forget the opportunity to be immersed in the culture. I felt useful and learned daily from the experience.

The Cross-Cultural Solutions staff mage everything possible, if you were open to the experience to a new culture.

I am forever changed and empowered by this experience.

I have worked daily to change the world since my first CCS experience.

• Arielle T
    Philadelphia, PA
    Wonderful Teen Program
    11/10/2014

I did the Dharamsala Teen Program last summer and loved it so much, I can't wait to go back! We volunteered in a day care center, where we taught the kids (age 9 months - 7 years old) basic English phrases, numbers, and letters. The kids loved singing as much as possible, so we played games like Hokey Pokey and Head Shoulders Knees and Toes. The program was very very safe, and Dharamsala is absolutely breathtaking. We took day trips around the town and went up to where the Dalai Lama lives. Homebase was lovely, the staff was very accomodating, and the food was incredible. I can't wait to go back as an adult volunteer!!

How could this program be improved?

I wish that the teen program involved more travel - I would have loved to see other parts of India i.e. the Taj Mahal.

• Kirsten Petersen
    Dallas, Texas
    Louisiana State University- Baton Rouge
    Changed My Life
    11/10/2014

I signed up for the Cross-Cultural Solutions experience in India mainly because I wanted to take an international trip and I felt this was the safest environment in which I could travel solo. What I didn't realize is what an amazing effect this trip would have on my entire outlook on life and the world. I made long-term friends in the staff, the locals, and my fellow volunteers. I learned so much about the Indian culture and now feel a kinship toward Indian people back home in the States.

I returned to the United States with a passion for meaningful work. I immediately considered quitting my job to pursue a career in teaching after having such positive experience teaching English to teenagers in New Delhi. Although I have not yet executed this change, and may not ever become a teacher by trade, one thing for certain is that I have developed a passion to support the mission of Cross-Cultural Solutions. I have begun volunteering locally in the name of CCS and will continue to do what I can to support this organization, including traveling with them again in the future.

I had a blast, got to see so much of New Delhi and surrounding areas, and never once felt unsafe. Quite the opposite--I felt very comfortable thanks to the staff. They were warm and welcoming and did everything they could to make sure we were having a fulfilling experience in all aspects.

How could this program be improved?

Literally, the only issue I encountered was a slight miscommunication between the CCS staff and the local NGO with which I was working regarding schedules. There were a few days that I arrived at the NGO ready to volunteer with the kids and no kids were present. The NGO had scheduled their own staff meetings on those days. We had trouble getting the timing right on the days I was needed. I did express this concern to the CCS staff, and they promised to get that kink worked out.

In the end, I did feel that I was able to spend a significant amount of time interacting with the local teens, however, and felt like we had a mutual positive impact.

Photos:
    Volunteering with Magic Bus India, the local NGO partnered with CCS. I taught English and Interview Skills to teenagers.
    Visiting the Taj Mahal with fellow volunteers on my free time!
    Our room at the Home Base--an apartment flat in an upper middle class neighborhood in New Delhi. The accommodations were clean, comfortable, and very "homey!" I loved our home base.
  • R. Fields
    Michigan
    University of Michigan
    Graduate Study Abroad Experience
    11/10/2014

I had the opportunity to volunteer abroad with CCS as part of my graduate studies. My interest was in women and children within the culture and I volunteered my time at a local school where I taught English. Having had a background in teaching, this was helpful but I can only imagine the stress of a volunteer who has never taught before might have.

In order to 'teach' English, we were given a key to a supply room in our apartment that had various games, workbooks, activities etc which could be copied by CCS staff. At times, I felt overwhelmed with the large task of teaching English to 2-5 year old children in only two weeks (I stayed three weeks but we were only introduced to our site within the first week) and truly did not feel like an impact was made.

At times, I did not feel safe within the community and wish that CCS would have provided more social events for its volunteers within India in addition to the cultural and 'touristy' events although oddly enough certain events like going to the Taj Mahal had to be arranged on our own.

We arrived during the week of India's Independence Day yet oddly there were no event scheduled for us to attend except an invite to the Director's home with her family yet we had just met her and many of us did not feel comfortable attending. There was a lot of down time which included watching English shows on the TV or going to their movie library and watching English movies.

Overall, I was not satisfied with my experience in Delhi but would recommend using CCS given reviews I have heard from friends regarding the organization (they went to other countries through CCS)

• Tonya Collins
    Age: 31-50
    Raleigh, NC
    East Carolina University
    A Change of Self
    11/10/2014

Volunteering in India was one of the most rewarding and life changing times of my life. For one, the international travel experience and then the opportunity to meet similar volunteers from all over the world, and also host families and staff was so educational and culturally expanded my ideals. While there I had the opportunity to volunteer at the local hospital, help at a local school with computer education, and women's studies since I was in a rural area.

These memories are something that I will carry the rest of my life, and always share about the rewarding experience this opportunity provided me.

Price.
    It is very difficult in this day and time to save that amount of money again.

Useful: 1 Inspiring: 1
  • Lori Phillippi
    Age: 51 or older
    Berlin, Wisconsin
    University of Wisconsin
    Amazing Experience in India
    08/20/2014

CCS is the best way to experience India. I learned so much about the people, religions, customs, food and everyday living. Helping the young women learn computer skills and conversational English was rewarding. I continue to connect with one of the ladies via facebook. The staff was very supportive and offered great suggestions to enhance our experience. All of the people who volunteered during the time I was there were great to share this experience with.

How could this program be improved?

I wish more women would have come to the Women's Learning Center each day.

• Bassgirl
    Age: 31-50
    North California
    Not at all the volunteer experience I was hoping for
    03/30/2013

The program in Delhi, India is not run well and because maybe they have all been doing it so long lacks concern for your experience in a whole. They put in the bare minimum of effort to make you feel welcome and they enforce drinking and curfew rules for all ages which are ridiculous. What is the most upsetting thing is that I was told before I agreed to work with CCS and pay the exorbitant amount of money that I was going to have a full volunteer schedule, a minimum of 4 hours a day. I was lucky if I volunteered two hours a day. Then after volunteering there was so much downtime and it was hard to plan things around the mandatory meal times that there was a lot of just sitting around reading or watching movies in the apartment until dinner. That is not my idea of experiencing India and being immersed into the culture. I wanted to be amongst the people while learning of their culture and it would have been nice if one of the staff had a job to help us experience that. But instead when we did have cultural activities it usually involved dropping us off at a tourist attraction with a description and history on sheet of paper or bringing in people to discuss India in the comfort of our apartment. We were way too sheltered and it felt like a waste of an opportunity to experience India.

Useful: 3 Inspiring: 0
  • swine09
    USA
    Washington University in Saint Louis
    Nepotistic Apathy- what volunteering?
    12/17/2012

I could not be more disappointed with my experience, and I cannot believe the positive reviews. At least in Delhi, the organization is corrupted by nepotism and apathy toward volunteering. I came to India to volunteer, but often the three NGOs CCS chose from (yes, there were only three-- two now, since they cut ties with one that refused to be controlled by CCS' tyranny) left volunteers sometimes under two hours a day to work. A volunteer while I was there was not allowed to volunteer one day when the NGO was doing a project at a different location than usual. There are also arbitrary rules, like a curfew and enforced meals. You must eat with the rest of the group, despite being provided a kitchen in which to cook. I was treated rudely by the staff: the head of India continually made inappropriate comments about my appearance and weight. The staff again and again referred the volunteers to relatives and friends, which wouldn't be so bad except the businesses were the worst we encountered in India. I think that most volunteers don't see the corruption because they don't stay the full three months that I did. Many volunteers with me had problems with CCS as well. An adult woman was kicked out for breaking the fake curfew (they lied and said the gates closed at 10 on weekdays and 1 on weekends-- we lived in a very safe affluent area and staying out beyond then put no one in danger.)
    The Hindi lessons promised are just basic phrasing unless you are doing the internship program. However, the 'teacher' is just one of the regular staff, a guy who, while well-meaning, is impatient and is just a regular Hindi speaker who doesn't have grasp of the grammar. The people learning mostly learned from books on their own. The placements were made without regard for personal preference whatsoever. A woman who was a nurse and wrote specifically that she did not want to do medical work was expected to do so. No one I talked to was placed in an NGO with a focus they had requested, probably because CCS did not take advantage of the many NGOs in Delhi. It only had relationships with organizations that it could bully-- for example, agreeing to refuse to let kicked out volunteers stay at the NGO, even if they were kicked out for reasons completely unrelated to their volunteering work (a 23 year old having a glass of wine at dinner, a 34 year old returning to the flat at midnight, etc.)
    CCS, instead of integrating you into the community, cloistered you. You cannot interact with the staff and volunteers at the NGO as much because you are forced to have limited hours and meals at the office (the "chef" is actually just a regular guy who makes cheap, repetitive meals over and over.) You live in a sheltered gated community without just that- a sense of community. I lived in Delhi after leaving CCS and the community I lived in was welcoming and wonderful to me, so much more so than CCS was. If you want a real Indian experience, and want to travel to really make a difference and volunteer, avoid CCS at all costs. The organization, at least in Delhi, is an overpriced scam whose main focus is liability and cost effectiveness.

Useful: 6 Inspiring: 0
  • Kaitlyn
    New Jersey
    Roanoke College
    Cross Cultural Solutions
    09/09/2012

What an incredible, life-changing experience. I would go back in a heart beat! The staff are friendly and supportive and the experience volunteering abroad gives you a more holistic view of the world. Definitely go for it!

• Andrea
    Virginia
    You won't regret it!
    08/29/2012

I have volunteered with Cross Cultural Solutions twice-both times in India! There's a reason why I chose CCS over other programs. Their commitment to quality and an authentic experience are unparalled. If you've never volunteered before they will help you every step of the way-if you're a seasoned traveller the country staff encourage you to step out of your comfort zone and experience new things. The country staff are what makes the program! They have their own lives and families, yet I always felt like their first priority. Everyone on staff was friendly and really listened to me. The placements are thoughtful and the staff went out of their way to make sure they fit our needs. The flats were clean and well stocked and of course the food provided every day was absolutely delicious! CCS is worth every penny-you won't regret it, it'll be the experience of a lifetime.

• Doris Yousfi
    Baltimore, Md
    Rickshaws and HOLY COW!
    08/27/2012

When you arrive in India it's a blur of colors, sounds, and smells. I arrived with a CCS group to New Delhi in the middle of summer and was surprised by how thick the heat was! We were taken out to shop for our very first salwar kameez and dupattas the first night and I laughed out loud as my rickshaw driver sang loudly to his favorite Bhangra song.

I had so many experiences in my short summer in New Delhi that it's hard to pick one or two to share. CCS placed me at a school called Akshay Prathisthan..one of the first integrated schools in the area, teaching both able-bodied and disabled students in the same classrooms. As a piano and dance teacher I was quickly put to work developing my own arts curriculum, and we ended the summer with a full school performance on their outdoor stage attended by the President of the school and many families from the area. I also had the opportunity to work as a guest at the Mother Theresa house in Newl Delhi which was a real touch with the harsh reality of poverty for me. Young babies without parents and the elderly without family to care for them. The grandmas loved me to paint their nails that';s for sure!

In short, CCS provides for the most unbelievable volunteer experience one could imagine, and a house that's run like a family with great meals and people that care about whether you're sick, or nervous, or upset. If you're thinking about going to volunteer, go CCS!!

• Isabel
    Chicago, IL
    Very well-run program
    08/26/2012

When I participated in the CCS India program, I had never traveled outside of North America before. Since then, I've been back to India twice, and I am hoping to work in a field that will allow me to spend more time there in the future. I am incredibly thankful to CCS for making my first trip to India such a rewarding experience. CCS was an excellent, supportive program and a great introduction to India. My volunteer placement enabled me to learn a lot more about my field of interest (public health), and the staff were receptive to the projects I proposed. There were also a number of local trips/cultural activities in the afternoons, and I learned the Hindi alphabet (as well as a number of useful Hindi phrases) from the staff members. India can be a difficult country for Westerners to adjust to, but the CCS India staff are all wonderful people who are there to help you every step of the way.

• Jessica L
    Venezuela
    Emerson College
    Amazing experience with CCS in India
    08/07/2012

I enjoyed every single part of my trip with CCS to India. It was a unique experience, and I have to say it was definitely worth it. I not only made an impact on the children I worked with, but I also made friends, learned about a different culture and visited unbelievable places.

Alumni Interviews

Isabel conducted health screenings for kids

Morning: Each day, the other health care volunteers and I traveled to different villages in the area to conduct basic health screenings on the children who attended local government-run daycares (anganwadis). We worked with a translator, who was a student about our age who lived in the area, and collected information on the height and weight of the children and other markers of health status. We also occasionally met with village women's groups to present health education modules that we put together on topics such as nutrition and sexually transmitted diseases. Traveling to different villages each day allowed us to see a lot of the beautiful mountain scenery as well!

Afternoon: My afternoons consisted of a variety of activities, including preparation for the next day's work, cultural enrichment activities (such as speakers, field trips, and Hindi language lessons), or hanging out and playing badminton with the staff and other volunteers. I usually spent some time each afternoon working on a special project I had proposed: digitizing the information we were collecting from the daycares.

In addition, I would write in my placement journal (one of the requirements of my internship) about the morning's activities, reflecting on things I had learned and noting down my ideas for the coming days. The CCS staff provided me with a lot of information about India's health system, which I was particularly interested in, so I also spent some time reading up on that topic.

Isabel sightseeing at the Golden Temple
    Isabel sightseeing at the Golden Temple

Evening: I was living in a very rural area, so there weren't really opportunities to go out at night, but we generally enjoyed ourselves watching Bollywood movies, playing games, listening to Hindi songs, or just chatting with one another. There were a lot of people of diverse backgrounds and interests in my program, and the evenings were a great time to get to know them better.

Highlights: The highlight of my time as a volunteer was presenting to women's groups and talking to them about health issues. Hearing their ideas was really eye-opening. For the women that I talked to in the villages, health and sickness were individualized issues. Their personal aches and pains--rather than community-level issues such as sanitation--were at the forefront of their mind when they thought about the idea of "health." These conversations added the depth of practical perspective to my theoretical notions about health policy.

The highlight of my trip overall was probably my visit to Amritsar. I got to see the Golden Temple, Jallianwala Bagh (the site of a colonial-era massacre), and the ceremony at the Wagah Border between India and Pakistan--a really fascinating and exciting display of Indian patriotism.

Kimberly visiting a temple in India

Morning: Every morning in Dharamsala a yoga instructor came to the main house and about an hour of yoga was offered. This was a great way to start the day! After yoga was time for breakfast. Some days we walked over to the main dining area for a hot meal that differed every day, sometimes continental and sometimes traditional Indian, with cereal and fruit always offered. Other, lazy, days I would make myself some eggs and toast in the small kitchen open to volunteers. The one non-negotiable in the morning was at least one cup of masala chai!

After breakfast we would finish getting ready and congregate in the main house to be driven to the volunteer placements. I was the only one fortunate enough to have my women's group placement at the main CCS house, so my commute was only down a few flights of stairs.

Afternoon: Volunteer placements would typically run into the afternoon. I would spend a few hours with my women's group until lunchtime. This involved teaching English grammar, computer skills, and general conversation skills (with the occasional zumba lesson). Once all the volunteers arrived home from their various placements, we congregated again in the main dining area for lunch. All food was served buffet-style with plenty of vegetarian options. We were always made aware of what would be served for each meal in a week so there were no surprises. After lunch it varied - sometimes we had a Hindi language lesson, sometimes a cultural learning program or field trip, and sometimes we had free time and took walks around our neighborhood of Lower Dharamsala.

Evening: Evenings were spent with the other volunteers. When the weather was nice we would sit out on one of the huge balconies and look out at our Himalayan surroundings. We would watch movies, play games, and read books. Often we would call a cab to take us to Upper Dharamsala, or Mcleodganj, which was a tourist hot-spot and had many shops and restaurants. We would grab an inexpensive bite to eat, often on the rooftop of my favorite restaurant called Carpe Diem, and do some shopping or socialize with other tourists in the area. There is also great hiking in the area and yoga, cooking (Tibetan and Indian), and language classes are offered quite often. Upper Dharamsala is the location of the Tibetan government-in-exile and is home to a large Tibetan population, so I got to learn a lot about both Indian and Tibetan culture.

Highlights: The highlight of my volunteer experience was getting to know the experiences of the women in my group. We would often have very open and honest discussions about what it was like to be a woman on opposite sides of the world. They shared with us so much about themselves, the good and the bad, and asked us to do the same. It made me so glad to see and hear how proud they were to be Indian women, wives, and mothers. They were so proud to share their culture and customs with us, and eager to learn about ours as well. Learning English was an important tool in empowering them to feel that they could get a job if they wanted or needed, and that they could communicate with more people to continue this cultural exchange outside of the classroom. I loved teaching them zumba routines, and I think they got a kick out of it!

Explore India while volunteering
    Explore India while volunteering

The highlight of my experience overall is hard to pinpoint, but I would have to say the location. I am a sucker for beautiful sights and my mouth was hanging open for a month. Getting to live and work in the Himalayas was something most people never get to experience - it felt completely unreal to sip chai on my balcony in the morning looking out at the snow-caps of the Himalayas. Taking a weekend trip to Manali, I did nothing on the several hour car ride but look out the window. I have never seen such natural beauty in my life and never expected it to be half as breathtaking. I felt so fortunate to have spent so much time in a place like this, and go back to it in my mind countless times when I need a 'happy place'. I would gladly return tomorrow if I had the opportunity.

• Work with children in India
    Marianne worked with children in India

Why did you decide to volunteer with CCS in India?

Marianne: I had researched a number of volunteer organizations and always came back to CCS; they have been in the business longer than most, had more countries to choose from, and provided a host of amenities in their price. I also really liked their mission statement and values; the idea of a true "cultural exchange" appealed to me.

Describe your day to day activities as a volunteer.

Marianne: Placement began by 9 a.m. My assignment was providing health exams to school-aged children (5-12 year olds) at Vidya, an NGO located in one of Delhi's slums. Because of my work, I had a translator with me which gave me additional one-on-one time to get to know some of the staff. I followed the school schedule, including playground time, which afforded me time to interact and have chai with many of the staff at Vidya. My work at Vidya was usually done by noon.

For lunch we gathered as a group, staff and volunteers alike, followed by a brief rest period. Then depending on the day, we'd have either a cultural class or a trip; we practiced Hindi, learned about the various religions, politics and history of the country, or took excursions to temples, market, or museums. We always had top-notch professionals as teachers and guides escorting us.

What made this volunteer experience unique and special?

Marianne: India was a "bucket-list" destination for me. As a child I dreamt of seeing the Taj Mahal (and did!) and later in life as a healthcare professional I viewed volunteering in the slums of Delhi as a personal and career challenge; the healthcare need is so great in India but the healthcare system is incredibly overwhelmed. Being able to provide competent care required a great deal of resourcefulness on my part.

Volunteer your time to help the children of India
    Volunteer your time to help the children of India

On the flip side, because of the country's conditions, I got to see medical conditions that heretofore I've only read about. It's pretty exciting working with high-risk populations in these challenging environments. Also, as a holistic provider that utilizes integrative medicine, I've been fascinated by India's ancient healing practices and wanted to learn from the source. During my 8 week internship, the staff worked with me to arrange a tour of a private and public hospital, and tutored me in Ayurvedic and indigenous medicines so I could apply relevant cultural health practices to my Western care. The staff's "feedback" loop assured I obtained my objectives and honed my core cultural healthcare competencies.

But what ultimately made this experience unique and special were the people. Yes, CCS staff was professional but they were also warm, friendly, and exceptionally hospitable and made me feel like family. My fellow volunteers also made a huge contribution to the overall experience. I made deep friendships with some incredible individuals that I will always cherish.

How has this experience helped you grow personally and professionally?

Marianne: Thanks to the positive experience working with the people of India, I've made the decision to do international healthcare work. This trip validated my desire to be a citizen of the world. I'm currently in the process of organizing a worldwide trip in 2013 to find the best "fit" for my skills and interests and plan on spending 3-5 years abroad, hopefully in India or Southeast Asia.

About the provider

The Cross-Cultural Solutions Volunteer Abroad experience allows students and travelers to gain valuable experience overseas while working side by side with local individuals and communities to make an impact.

Since 1995, over 35,000 people have volunteered with Cross-Cultural Solutions, providing meaningful and sustainable volunteer services to international communities, and contributing responsibly to local economies.

Volunteers gain valuable experience working in areas such as education, healthcare, and social services. Visit the Cross-Cultural Solutions website to learn more about how we're changing everything.